These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

At what point is something an Exploit and not game Mechanics ? Bumped for 60 Minutes

First post First post First post
Author
Elizabeth Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#381 - 2013-07-03 14:55:01 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those have anything to do with freighters, and both of them are legitimate tactics — in fact, the aggression flagging was explicitly put into place to get rid of certain abuses. Also, being able to do it for an hour doesn't make in any more of an abuse — it all happens in 15-minute portions anyway — it just makes it a complete failure on both sides. Lol

That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all. As mentioned before it was used for capiltals that people tried to bug out on and couldn't.

Since freighters are not used for any of the same abuses the logoff factor of the aggression timers, it shouldn't apply, right?

what about a more "legitimate" pvp situation, like a freighter transporting an ihub in nullsec?

How is the cargo any indication as to what the pilot can or cannot do with their ship or have any basis on it's mechanic?

so a freighter moving an ihub into fountain should just be able to safe and log off after a minute if an enemy fleet comes through?
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#382 - 2013-07-03 14:56:39 UTC
If what we're arguing about here is bumping, then let me tell you, yes, it's pathetic. Smaller ships should be smashed to bits when they collide with something like a freighter. The mass of the ship you're flying should make a difference to bumpability. The trouble is, I don't think there are that many clock cycles dedicated to collision detection and resolution on the server. That's why it's so stupid.

Eve needs Inertia.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#383 - 2013-07-03 14:56:49 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
A victim of aggression is not an aggressor.

No one has said otherwise.

The very reason this mechanic was added into the game was to prevent victims who are aggressed from logging off. To claim it is griefing because it is being used to prevent players logging off is simply bizarre.

What you want is to have freighter pilots have ~special rules~ put in place to make them safer, but no such thing is necessary. They are able to perform their role more than adequately as they are with a very good level of safety. What you want is for them to be able to move much higher value items with impunity - well, that's not their role and CCP has various other classes of ship to help.

When you stop being lazy, your risk is very low.

Uhm yes they have.

The timers have expired, and refreshed, numerous times. Tippia herself has mentioned that it is a working as intended mechanic to not allow someone to continue playing for over an hour. Even OFFLINE. Because that pilot has a timer on a ship that cannot aggress.

That mechanic you keep talking about, and the use of logging off, as stated earlier, was designed for capitals. So people could logoffski and save their capital. But that capital CAN aggress.

An Obelisk cannot.

I do not want, nor care, how safe a freighter is or needs to be.

I really do not care at all if a freighter gets blown up. This is Eve.

I DO care, however, that keeping someone locked down for an hour to the point of not being able to play the game happened.

I care that the mechanic can be applied to a ship that cannot do an act of aggression, but can be penalized for it.

If you can kill the ship within one timer, sweet! Good for you. Again, Eve.

But seriously, an hour? To the point of excess?

Bad form using a bad mechanic.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#384 - 2013-07-03 14:59:31 UTC
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those have anything to do with freighters, and both of them are legitimate tactics — in fact, the aggression flagging was explicitly put into place to get rid of certain abuses. Also, being able to do it for an hour doesn't make in any more of an abuse — it all happens in 15-minute portions anyway — it just makes it a complete failure on both sides. Lol

That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all. As mentioned before it was used for capiltals that people tried to bug out on and couldn't.

Since freighters are not used for any of the same abuses the logoff factor of the aggression timers, it shouldn't apply, right?

what about a more "legitimate" pvp situation, like a freighter transporting an ihub in nullsec?

How is the cargo any indication as to what the pilot can or cannot do with their ship or have any basis on it's mechanic?

so a freighter moving an ihub into fountain should just be able to safe and log off after a minute if an enemy fleet comes through?

I don't care what the cargo is to be honest. I don't think it matters if its 5k m3 of trit or 200 plexes. I am not saying freighters shouldn't be allowed to live or die.

Only equipped modules should matter.

I am also saying that if you cannot aggress, you shouldn't have a timer.

Here's a thought... how bad would it be to give a freighter a drone bay? It wouldn't do ANYTHING about this scenario to help.

But it would justify an aggression timer.

Funny ol world ain't it?

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#385 - 2013-07-03 15:01:04 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Yes they are.

An Obelisk does not have the slots to incur any act of aggression.
So? There are more aggression timers than the weapon timer, you know. They're targets; they can be shot; they can therefore incur a number of aggression timers (in this case the PvP timer). They're still not special and follow the same rules as every other ship. And no, disconnecting to survive is not something that should be possible since it has already been proven to cause tons of problems. The aggression timers are there for a reason: so that ships die. All ships.

Freighters follow this rule as well because, hey, they're a ship and they could previously abuse the flagging and timing system to avoid death when they shouldn't have been able to. Now they no longer can, and there is absolutely no reason to allow them to abuse that system again.

Quote:
They are either special or they aren't. Make up your mind.
They aren't. For instance, not having any slots is not special. Also, giving them slots would nerf them massively, which I'm sure would cause quite an uproar among freighter pilots.

Oh, and also, by your own words, someone with any "pvp timer" shouldn't be allowed to dock either is what you're saying right?

I think that would actually be quite the improvement truth be told. I mean, since we don't want to single out freighters.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#386 - 2013-07-03 15:09:08 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:
Victims are getting blamed for not finding their own way around a mechanic.

Yes. Because there are ways around it, they are victimizing themselves. That's why they get blamed. Especially when they don't want to admit their act of stupidity and come on the forums to cry.

Quote:
That to me is where we go down the wrong road of proving a mechanic is working as intended when it isn't.

Wrong. If you are the one arguing for change, the onus is on you to prove the need for change. Thus far, you have not. Especially considering that in just about all of these cases the attack could have been avoided or the freighter was carrying a ludicrously high amount of loot, and thus warranted the attack.

So please, lay out the proof before us that this is in epidemic of freighters being blown up, and how there is nothing any of them could possibly have done to avoid it.

This should be good if you attempt it, but I suspect you won't.

And I did mention a change earlier. Although it is NOT up to me to provide a change, or a fix, I also specifically said that someone WOULD say that, and the response to that should be diminshing returns. Or create a way for a ship (since its ANY ship rules right?) to CAUSE an aggression timer. Doesn't HAVE to be a slot, to incur any nerf such as Tippia fears, but even a drone bay would suffice.

It's not me who is making the the ship special. As to eve standards, blow the damned thing up. But be able to do it within a specific amount of time.

Such as the timer suggests.

Bolow Santosi
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#387 - 2013-07-03 15:11:12 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

What ways are around getting stuck with aggression timers as a ship who cannot deaggress and cannot warp off because of being bumped and would in fact have no different result whether online or offline?

Epidemic? What epidemic? I am saying this instance the mechanic was abused, to the point of harassing a player. And I HAVE proved the need for the change. That pilot was held for over an hour, without a way to get away, even at the point of logging off.

No attempts at those claims were argued by anyone, yourself included. The point isn't avoidance. The point is not being able to get out, for, over, an, hour.

So now, I implore you, tell me how he could have gotten away after the what... 3rd aggression timer? By all means educate me since I am not aware of a way out. And don't spout about preventive maintenance, that isn't the debate here. We are past that.

He could have avoided the entire situation by simply not dumping everything he had into 1 freighter and hauling across space making him a target. People generally don't suicide gank freighters out of sheer malice. They do it because it can be very lucrative. The easiest way to avoid being ganked is to not make yourself a target.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#388 - 2013-07-03 15:12:26 UTC
People bad posting terrible ideas to try and fix stupid.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#389 - 2013-07-03 15:12:58 UTC
Bolow Santosi wrote:
I hear not flying around with a cargo full of stuff worth 4 times more than your ship is worth is a really good place to start to avoid things like this.

I think any ship you undock is not safe.

I just also think that there's a point to excess.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#390 - 2013-07-03 15:16:47 UTC
Bolow Santosi wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

What ways are around getting stuck with aggression timers as a ship who cannot deaggress and cannot warp off because of being bumped and would in fact have no different result whether online or offline?

Epidemic? What epidemic? I am saying this instance the mechanic was abused, to the point of harassing a player. And I HAVE proved the need for the change. That pilot was held for over an hour, without a way to get away, even at the point of logging off.

No attempts at those claims were argued by anyone, yourself included. The point isn't avoidance. The point is not being able to get out, for, over, an, hour.

So now, I implore you, tell me how he could have gotten away after the what... 3rd aggression timer? By all means educate me since I am not aware of a way out. And don't spout about preventive maintenance, that isn't the debate here. We are past that.

He could have avoided the entire situation by simply not dumping everything he had into 1 freighter and hauling across space making him a target. People generally don't suicide gank freighters out of sheer malice. They do it because it can be very lucrative. The easiest way to avoid being ganked is to not make yourself a target.

The empty freighter can still be killed, and should be if chosen to, regardless of cargo. This is where YOU are making the freighter want special consideration, not me.

Again, please read my quote you posted. We are not talking about preventive maintenance here.

We are talking about a failed gank(well, not failed since it did get blown up) that harassed a player for over an hour through the use of exploiting a working timer that isn't even in the realm of sandboxish.

Scam him as a scout, awox him, blow him up on the gate, all very cool and can be seen as sandbox play.

This isn't.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#391 - 2013-07-03 15:16:52 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Bolow Santosi wrote:
I hear not flying around with a cargo full of stuff worth 4 times more than your ship is worth is a really good place to start to avoid things like this.

This excess being several dosen dead freighters out of hundreds of thousands of freighter trips every month?
Typherian
Criterion.
Pandemic Legion
#392 - 2013-07-03 15:22:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Typherian
You know he did have escape options he just wasn't as prepared as the gankers. He was trying to play eve solo. They were playing as a group. He could have scrambled guys to gank the bump boats. Or had scouts and webers. Or hired someone else to move his stuff and set a collateral. The list goes on and on frieghter pilots have options most are just too lazy/stupid to use them. Also I have to point out getting bumped for an hour isn't harassment it's a chance to scramble a response. Stop being babies.

Edit p.s grrrrgoons
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#393 - 2013-07-03 15:26:20 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Bolow Santosi wrote:

This excess being several dosen dead freighters out of hundreds of thousands of freighter trips every month?

I don't understand the relevance of your question. Are you trying to say that the hundreds of freighters killed took an hour each time?

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#394 - 2013-07-03 15:30:18 UTC
Typherian wrote:
You know he did have escape options he just wasn't as prepared as the gankers. He was trying to play eve solo. They were playing as a group. He could have scrambled guys to gank the bump boats. Or had scouts and webers. Or hired someone else to move his stuff and set a collateral. The list goes on and on frieghter pilots have options most are just too lazy/stupid to use them. Also I have to point out getting bumped for an hour isn't harassment it's a chance to scramble a response. Stop being babies.

Edit p.s grrrrgoons

I am fully aware of the preventive measures needed and/or taken, but that isn't in question.

This scenario does bring to light how the mechanics in question might need a bit of tweaking.

Since Eve is cold and harsh and unfair, it should go both ways.

If you can't kill a freighter in 15 minutes, he deserves to live.

Gankers' pisspoor performance has nothing to with the stupidity of this freighter pilot (and I do think all parties on that kill, victim included were stupid).

Typherian
Criterion.
Pandemic Legion
#395 - 2013-07-03 15:39:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Typherian
So a freighter pilot that puts no effort into surviving/avoiding ganks should get a free pass after 15 minutes...... Yeah that's not eve-like.

Edit: I hate autocorrect
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#396 - 2013-07-03 15:41:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Typherian wrote:
So a freighter pilot that puts no effort into surviving/avoiding ganks should get a free pass after 15 minutes...... Yeah that's not eve-like.

Edit: I hate autocorrect

Nah not really, but it would justify having diminishing returns, or justify an addition to the mechanic that allows for Eve play.

You know, sandbox.

Because when you try to realign, or be bumped all over and can't even logoff for over an hour should mean something.

And yes, autocorrect sucks =(

EDIT- But yea, to use your passive attempts at sarcasm here =P, if you can't kill a freighter in 15 minutes, you have no business worrying about it. That IS eve like, you know, htfu or whatever hehe.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#397 - 2013-07-03 16:24:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Murk Paradox wrote:
Uhm yes they have.

The timers have expired, and refreshed, numerous times. Tippia herself has mentioned that it is a working as intended mechanic to not allow someone to continue playing for over an hour. Even OFFLINE. Because that pilot has a timer on a ship that cannot aggress.
…and yet, none has said that the victim of aggression is an aggressor. That's something you've made up.

Quote:
That mechanic you keep talking about, and the use of logging off, as stated earlier, was designed for capitals
…and any other ship that could consistently use logoff as a means to avoid destruction. Freighters were notorious for doing this as well. Coincidentally, freighters are also capitals.

And no, it has nothing to do with whether or not the ship can aggress — it has to do with the fact that the ship can get itself into so much trouble that it has no way out, and that logging off should not offer access to any such out. This holds true for freighters the same as for every other ship in the game.

Quote:
I DO care, however, that keeping someone locked down for an hour to the point of not being able to play the game happened.
…which doesn't happen. The only reason it takes an hour is because the victim manages to drag it out. The reason it takes an hour is because he's playing the game. If he had just left, it would have been over in less than 15 minutes.

Just because neither side wants to give up and go home doesn't mean that anything is broken. It most certainly does not mean that either part is not playing the game.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#398 - 2013-07-03 16:35:13 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Uhm yes they have.

…and yet, none has said that the victim of aggression is an aggressor. That's something you've made up.

Quote:
That mechanic you keep talking about, and the use of logging off, as stated earlier, was designed for capitals
…and any other ship that could consistently use logoff as a means to avoid destruction. Freighters were notorious for doing this as well. Coincidentally, freighters are also capitals.

And no, it has nothing to do with whether or not the ship can aggress — it has to do with the fact that the ship can get itself into so much trouble that it has no way out, and that logging off should not offer access to any such out. This holds true for freighters the same as for every other ship in the game.

Quote:
…which doesn't happen. The only reason it takes an hour is because the victim manages to drag it out. The reason it takes an hour is because he's playing the game. If he had just left, it would have been over in less than 15 minutes.

Just because neither side wants to give up and go home doesn't mean that anything is broken. It most certainly does not mean that either part is not playing the game.

I did not make up the timer. Thank you, but no, I am not a DEV.

While you might want to try to insist on freighters being capitals, and not special, they are allowed in highsec... and can continue entering/leaving highsec right?

And this is my favorite one, I'll even quote back in... "Just because neither side wants to give up and go home doesn't mean that anything is broken. It most certainly does not mean that either part is not playing the game.".

Seriously? Ok wait, I need to take a step back and get an order of operations here just to make sure I am crystal clear on your words.

There is a mechanic, that prevents people from logging off, and you are claiming that mechanic is not broken because noone wants to give up and go home. And you also reinforce that "they" are not wanting to give up, or go home, or are not playing the game. By logging off.

Log off.

Give up.

Go home.

Think on that for a bit.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#399 - 2013-07-03 16:47:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Murk Paradox wrote:
I did not make up the timer.
…and no-one said you did.

Quote:
While you might want to try to insist on freighters being capitals, and not special, they are allowed in highsec... and can continue entering/leaving highsec right?
…just like Orcas. And no, Freighters are not special. They most certainly aren't special in any way that should let them abuse a mechanic that was put in place specifically to put an end to that kind of abuse.

If a Freighter gets itself mixed up in something it can't handle, it should die, just like every other ship. It's really as simple as that. The solution to this problem is not to start doling out game-breaking special rules for freighters, but for freighter pilots to stop getting themselves mixed up in things they can't handle.

Quote:
There is a mechanic, that prevents people from logging off, and you are claiming that mechanic is not broken because noone wants to give up and go home.
No. I'm saying that claiming that it's broken because it drags on for an hour is wrong — the reason it drags out for an hour is because neither side wants to give in. I'm saying that time and brokenness are not connected.

Quote:
I don't understand the relevance of your question. Are you trying to say that the hundreds of freighters killed took an hour each time?
He's saying that freighter ganks are ridiculously rare events — not something that's done to excess or that creates excessive risk for freighters.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#400 - 2013-07-03 16:59:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Murk Paradox wrote:
The timers have expired, and refreshed, numerous times.

They didn't expire. The aggression rule is "15 minutes from the last point of aggression"
Again, this was deliberately made to be able to be extended because in many cases 15minutes was not long enough. I don't know how many more times people need to say "the ability to keep a ship aggressed for 60minutes is deliberate" -- it is simply a fact.
Quote:
That mechanic you keep talking about, and the use of logging off, as stated earlier, was designed for capitals. So people could logoffski and save their capital. But that capital CAN aggress

No, it was designed for all ships. The initial plan was to make it for caps (or even just supercaps) only but CCP deliberately extended it to all ships in all space because they think the mechanic is good.
It was also specifically designed so that people could aggress and catch ships that were NOT aggressing other people. Again, to claim that using it in it's intended design is an exploit is just plain wrong. The fact the pilot could chose to agress in a SC if he wanted to is neither here nor there - but surely if you wanted some bizzaro version of the rules where the ability to do so is the same as doing so, then surely they could travel-fit with no aggressive modules and petition any loss because "they weren't able to aggress"?
Again, it is willfully the design of CCP that ships which are not, and cannot aggress, are able to be aggressed to change their logoff timer.
[quote[I DO care, however, that keeping someone locked down for an hour to the point of not being able to play the game happened[/quote]
So if it's a freighter that I have legal aggression on and I have pointed - how long am I allowed to hold the point and await backup?
You're acting like the length of time is an issue - it's not. The player had more than one option available to him that could have removed him from the situation.
If he wanted it to stop, he could self destruct. If he doesn't want to accept the loss of his ship there's some pretty good ways of getting out of what you saw, but I will not post them and circumvent the work we do.
Quote:
Bad form using a bad mechanic

The mechanic is fine, but yes we're heartless assholes. Deal with it.
Quote:
Nah not really, but it would justify having diminishing returns, or justify an addition to the mechanic that allows for Eve play.

You know, sandbox

The "sandbox" concept is inherently against any and all rules on what players can do to one another. If you want to argue for a true sandbox, one needs to remove concord. Let other players freely stop us from attacking the freighter.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,