These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Skill group name changes

First post First post First post
Author
Ravcharas
Infinite Point
Pandemic Horde
#21 - 2013-07-03 13:36:55 UTC
Jackie Fisher wrote:
I think the Subsystems group should stay as they are unique in that you can easily lose a level in them.

This is a good point
Paul Clancy
Korpu no Byakko
#22 - 2013-07-03 13:46:29 UTC
Also, will the attribute relevance of any of these skills be changed? Means, will there be, say, changes from char/int to int/mem or something around this idea?
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#23 - 2013-07-03 13:59:33 UTC  |  Edited by: ChromeStriker
※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

Keep Electronics and Engineering names the same... might just be nestalgia but never heard they were a problem... seems quite straightforward to me.

Targeting - Target Acquisition

Multitasking - Advanced Target Acquisition

※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※※

No Worries

Smoking Blunts
ZC Omega
#24 - 2013-07-03 14:07:03 UTC
when your doing this, any chance I can get mining 1 removed, ugly skill annoys me

OMG when can i get a pic here

Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#25 - 2013-07-03 14:12:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
Don't change this ::

Spaceship Command - Keep it. We understand it. Unnecessary change. We are commanding a spaceship. Period, the end.

Please seriously Consider This

Targeting - Multiple Targeting sounds clunky. It needs another iteration. "Target Management" makes it sound like you can manage more targets, just as "CPU Management" lets you have more CPU.

Multitasking - I agree, bad name. "Advanced Target Management".

Keep the subsystems group. They're unique and are the only group you can lose skillpoints in. Mixing them with the riggings isn't a good idea.

Other Thoughts

Electronics - CPU Management - I agree with a comment above, that it seems like it's a very broad underlying skill. However, I think clarity is more important in this case than anything else.

Nanite Control - I agree, has confused me many times when I'm looking for Nanite Repair skills.

Where I am.

Hosedna
FumbleFamily Corp
#26 - 2013-07-03 14:20:22 UTC
Ravcharas wrote:
Jackie Fisher wrote:
I think the Subsystems group should stay as they are unique in that you can easily lose a level in them.

This is a good point

Indeed !
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#27 - 2013-07-03 14:24:39 UTC
back when i was in the rookie channel i remember the confusion between the industry skill and skillgroup was common, so this is a good change
Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#28 - 2013-07-03 14:30:38 UTC
Electronic Systems sounds vague. I think I'd much rather see the group called Electronic Warfare and the existing Electronic Warfare skill become Sensor Jamming.

Lumping Weapon Upgrades in with PG Enhancements seems odd, considering it's a perception / willpower branch and everything else is Int / Mem.
Echo Mande
#29 - 2013-07-03 14:35:28 UTC
So so but needs more work.

Some commentary:

What is Tactical Logistics Reconfiguration doing in Electronic systems?
Why did Industrial Reconfiguration end up in resource processing?
Both of these skills really ought to be elsewhere. TLR probably belongs in Armor or Engineering (along with tactical weapons reconfiguration) and IR probably belongs in Production or Engineering.

As far as groups go, maybe armor and shield should be combined in 'Protection'.

I'm missing quite a number of skills (Cynosural field theory to name one)
Avacore Estemaire
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2013-07-03 14:44:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Avacore Estemaire
Please don't split the PI skills. Sure it's another group but they really don't have anything with the other skills to do. Especially scanning, they are in practice about as far away from scanning as you can get.

ps. don't change Spaceship Command, it's a better name
Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#31 - 2013-07-03 14:46:59 UTC
Echo Mande wrote:

I'm missing quite a number of skills (Cynosural field theory to name one)

That Skill will be renamed to "Military Expert Knowledge".
Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#32 - 2013-07-03 14:56:04 UTC
A few other suggestions:

* Tactical Logistics Reconfiguration -> Triage Module Operation
* Tactical Weapons Reconfiguration -> Siege Module Operation

Drones:
* Electronic Warfare Drone Interfacing -> Drone Control Range Enhancement

Electronics:
* Electronic Warfare -> Sensor Jamming
* Sensor Linking -> Sensor Link Efficency
* Signature Focusing -> Target Painter Effectiveness
* Signal Dispersion -> Advanced Sensor Jamming
* Signal Suppression -> Sensor Suppression
* Weapon Disruption -> Weapon Disruption Efficiency

and so on...

My suggestion would be that anything which doesn't grant an actual bonus to strength of something or another should be labelled with "Efficiency" or similar. For example, training weapon disruption from 2 to 3 makes me no better at weapon disruption, it only has a secondary effect of making it more efficient to use those modules.
Mourning Souls
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2013-07-03 14:59:41 UTC
With the exception of "Spaceship Piloting" my opinion is just "meh, whatever". But "Spaceship Piloting" sounds terrible to me.
Cameron Zero
Sebiestor Tribe
#34 - 2013-07-03 15:02:25 UTC
Quote:
Electronic System: is the old “electronics” group. Now only contains offense EW related skills.

Contains the Cloaking, Electronic Warfare, Frequency Modulation, Long Distance Jamming, Projected Electronic Counter Measures, Propulsion Jamming, Sensor Linking, Signal Dispersion, Signal Suppression, Signature Focusing, Tactical Logistics Reconfiguration, Target Breaker Amplification, Target Painting, Turret Destabilization and Weapon Disruption skills.

Why not just call it Electronic Warfare or Offensive Electronics and be done with it? (Except for Cloaking, that's exactly what the skills in the group are for, isn't it?)

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. …"

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#35 - 2013-07-03 15:02:41 UTC
Nagarythe Tinurandir wrote:
i dont know about weapon upgrades and AWU in engineering...
while the latter might be placed rightly there, the former governs wether you can use dmg-mods or not, which is to me tightly connected to guns and the gunnery path.

You could make the same arument that Weapon Upgrades should be in the Missiles group. You need Gravitics for Warp disruption field generators, should that be in Electronic Systems? And so on.

But their primary function is as fitting skills, so that's why the CSM agreed they should go into the "Engineering" group.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Azula Kishtar
Lonely among the Stars
#36 - 2013-07-03 15:05:09 UTC
I'm ok with most of this.

A few things:

1. Please keep Spaceship Command as it is. Or, to be exact, don't name anything Spaceship Piloting, because that sounds weird to me.

2. Please keep Electronics as it is. As there won't be a group called Electronics anymore anyway, it will not conflict with anything. CPU Management sounds too specific.

3. Maybe name the Electronic Systems group something more specific. If it is an E-War group now, it should reflect that.

4. Not sure what to think about the Engineering group.
RoAnnon
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#37 - 2013-07-03 15:06:45 UTC
I agree that keeping Spaceship Command is better than Spaceship Piloting.

A couple of other points:

ORE ships:

Venture = Mining Frigate
Noctis = Ore Industrial
Orca = Industrial Command Ships
Rorqual = Capital Industrial Ships

I would say either add "ORE" to each of the skill names or rename ORE Industrial, perhaps Industrial Salvage Ships.

How about adding in some Ore Industrials and ORE Transports (in the later T2 industrial ship rebalance), and use the Ore Industrial skill as a parent for accessing those? :)

So, you're a bounty hunter. No, that ain't it at all. Then what are you? I'm a bounty hunter.

Broadcast4Reps

Eve Vegas 2015 Pub Crawl Group 9

Houston EVE Meet

Alexander the Great
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#38 - 2013-07-03 15:07:06 UTC
"Spaceship Piloting" and "Multiple Targeting" sound lame.

Why removing "Subsystems" group? It's better to leave it as it is.

Changing name for "Electronics" and "Engineering" is a bad idea because they are prerequisites for many other skills. I don't understand why do I have to train some "CPU management" in order to get "Amarr electronic systems" while it makes sense with current name.
Zane Lowe
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2013-07-03 15:18:32 UTC
Keep it as Spaceship Command, otherwise sounds great.
Soden Rah
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2013-07-03 15:35:32 UTC
Gareth Burns wrote:
Two Things:

1. I agree spaceship piloting sounds bad, stick with spaceship command!

2. Multiple Targeting does NOT flow. I don't like how it rolls off the tongue. Normally I try to come up with some sort of recommendation instead of just saying no... but all I can come up with is MTT Systems and AMTT Systems ( Multiple target tracking systems & advanced multiple target tracking systems ). But from the sounds of it you're trying to make things easier to understand and i don't think those help.

How about "Polly-Targeting" and "Advanced Polly-Targeting"?

Then we can use the nickname of "Parroting".

As in "As a Logi Pilot I have to do a lot of parroting to keep my squad alive..."