These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

At what point is something an Exploit and not game Mechanics ? Bumped for 60 Minutes

First post First post First post
Author
Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#361 - 2013-07-03 12:57:18 UTC
All tears aside, bumping s the most ridiculous mechanic currently in Eve, possibly ever in Eve.

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#362 - 2013-07-03 12:57:48 UTC
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those have anything to do with freighters, and both of them are legitimate tactics — in fact, the aggression flagging was explicitly put into place to get rid of certain abuses. Also, being able to do it for an hour doesn't make in any more of an abuse — it all happens in 15-minute portions anyway — it just makes it a complete failure on both sides. Lol

That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all. As mentioned before it was used for capiltals that people tried to bug out on and couldn't.

Since freighters are not used for any of the same abuses the logoff factor of the aggression timers, it shouldn't apply, right?

what about a more "legitimate" pvp situation, like a freighter transporting an ihub in nullsec?

How is the cargo any indication as to what the pilot can or cannot do with their ship or have any basis on it's mechanic?

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#363 - 2013-07-03 13:02:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Typherian wrote:
So many whiners.......

They had more pilots and better coordination. The freighter pilot apparently didn't have scouts or webbers. Bumping someone for an hour to prevent them warping off is no different to pointing something at a belt and holding them for backup to arrive. I know of at least one instance in the past few weeks of a ratting carrier being held for 45+ minutes until a fleet could show up to finish it off. Too lazy to quote but I think I saw someone say that an unarmed ship shouldn't be able to get the aggression timer. That is a stupid idea because it allows carebears to game the system to avoid consequences of being stupid and flying without scouts. Also would be way to easy to game that system.

FAKE EDIT: I've been spending an unholy amount of time grinding goon structures in fountain and I've never actually ganked a freighter in highsec. Have to head off those stupid excuses before they even happen.

That's a good point! With how much free reign we should have, there shouldn't be a way for the pirate to "game the system" for a freighter either.

Think about it.

Aggression timer.

Aggression. Timer.

Freighters I wasn't aware, could under current mechanics, aggress anyone (well, maybe a battle badger, but an obelisk?).

Correct me if I'm wrong... but how does an Obelisk go about aggressing someone?

If we want to talk about "gaming the system" that is.

EDIT- a carrier has the ability to aggress and incur a timer on it's own through it's own act right?

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#364 - 2013-07-03 13:04:33 UTC
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Callyuk wrote:
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those have anything to do with freighters, and both of them are legitimate tactics — in fact, the aggression flagging was explicitly put into place to get rid of certain abuses. Also, being able to do it for an hour doesn't make in any more of an abuse — it all happens in 15-minute portions anyway — it just makes it a complete failure on both sides. Lol

That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all. As mentioned before it was used for capiltals that people tried to bug out on and couldn't.

Since freighters are not used for any of the same abuses the logoff factor of the aggression timers, it shouldn't apply, right?

what about a more "legitimate" pvp situation, like a freighter transporting an ihub in nullsec?

key word being nullsec

now what about a wartarget freighter in jita. a rifter has a point on it and the fleet is 5 minutes away

I don't think 5 minutes would be "excessive" to the point you need to refresh mechanic timers to "hold" a ship in place.

Especially as a war target a scram should work just fine.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#365 - 2013-07-03 13:10:10 UTC
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
well were talking about aggression timers, which bumping has nothing to do with

Well, I think we are talking about using a combination of mechanics to be considered griefing, in all honesty.

Bumping DOES have to do with it, but the bumping element is as we know, known to be ok, but in regards to a combination of using bumping and refreshing a timer that shouldn't apply (which is what you want to focus on and is quite alright) is what the whole thread of being grieved/harassed is about.

But yea, a ship which cannot create its own timer shouldn't have a timer based on an action it cannot perform.

That's just silly.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#366 - 2013-07-03 13:15:09 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all.
Of course it should. Freighters are not special, nor are freighter pilots; they abide by the same rules as everything else.

Quote:
Since they're trying to enact the exact same abuse (logging off to not die), it most definitely should.

Yes they are.

An Obelisk does not have the slots to incur any act of aggression.

In a game based on combat, that's pretty ******* special.

And sorry, but pulling the plug to escape death is simply going to be a cost of having players play a game based on servers and electricity.

When you talk about people buying plex to turn into isk and using a real world currency in to game currency, some things are going to matter more.

Such as giving the ability to pull the plug.

Don't treat that fine line without care.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#367 - 2013-07-03 13:16:02 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Callyuk wrote:
Freighters are not special hence they should be given 8 mids and 8 lows :)
Sure. You understand that this would require them to reduce their cargo hold by 90% and slash their HP by… oh… half or so, right?

If that's what you're after, may I suggest the post-tiercide Bestower? I'd rather not have my freighters nerfed in the way you suggest.

They are either special or they aren't. Make up your mind.

Elecktra Blue
Perkone
Caldari State
#368 - 2013-07-03 13:16:35 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Of course it should. Freighters are not special, nor are freighter pilots; they abide by the same rules as everything else.

Quote:
Since they're trying to enact the exact same abuse (logging off to not die), it most definitely should.

Yes they are.

And sorry, but pulling the plug to escape death is simply going to be a cost of having players play a game based on servers and electricity.

When you talk about people buying plex to turn into isk and using a real world currency in to game currency, some things are going to matter more.

Is this debate still going on? To busy getting ready for our next ganks to notice I guess

Miniluv Minister

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#369 - 2013-07-03 13:27:01 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Yes they are.

So? There are more aggression timers than the weapon timer, you know. They're targets; they can be shot; they can therefore incur a number of aggression timers (in this case the PvP timer). They're still not special and follow the same rules as every other ship. And no, disconnecting to survive is not something that should be possible since it has already been proven to cause tons of problems. The aggression timers are there for a reason: so that ships die. All ships.

Freighters follow this rule as well because, hey, they're a ship and they could previously abuse the flagging and timing system to avoid death when they shouldn't have been able to. Now they no longer can, and there is absolutely no reason to allow them to abuse that system again.

Quote:
They aren't. For instance, not having any slots is not special. Also, giving them slots would nerf them massively, which I'm sure would cause quite an uproar among freighter pilots.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#370 - 2013-07-03 13:27:39 UTC
Elecktra Blue wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:

Quote:

Yes they are.

Is this debate still going on? To busy getting ready for our next ganks to notice I guess

That's ok, some of us can multitask =)

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#371 - 2013-07-03 13:36:55 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Yes they are.

So? There are more aggression timers than the weapon timer, you know. They're targets; they can be shot; they can therefore incur a number of aggression timers (in this case the PvP timer). They're still not special and follow the same rules as every other ship. And no, disconnecting to survive is not something that should be possible since it has already been proven to cause tons of problems. The aggression timers are there for a reason: so that ships die. All ships.

Freighters follow this rule as well because, hey, they're a ship and they could previously abuse the flagging and timing system to avoid death when they shouldn't have been able to. Now they no longer can, and there is absolutely no reason to allow them to abuse that system again.

I can only refer you to go back to the basics of the words involved in regards to their description.

Anything else is a false argument with you =)

A victim of aggression is not an aggressor.

Unless you think she deserved it because she chose to wear a short skirt. I dunno.

Quote:
They aren't. For instance, not having any slots is not special. Also, giving them slots would nerf them massively, which I'm sure would cause quite an uproar among freighter pilots.[/quote]

I dunno, you just mentioned having to "balance" the benefits of the ship based on moving slots around to make them "like other ships" (ie- not special).

Since you have a ship that has no drone bay, no slots to incur any aggression timer (maybe you should apply to CCP's good senses to put a VICTIM timer?) and are definitely advocating what CCP does and know WHY they do it (seems intimate knowledge but I digress)... it just seems weird to seemingly allow the fact the ship is special, but don't consider it special.

Why you think the mechanic is working as intended is just... well, strange. It behaves and is used far beyond using a hammer to screw in a nail, so I don't think the sandbox tool argument here works.

No matter the mechanic, there does come a point where doing a single act, or even a simple series of acts, in excess, would be considered harassment and griefing to a much further degree of normal gameplay.

Bumping a freighter, aggressing a frieghter, by itself, is as we all know fine.

Doing it for an hour and affecting the players ability to play the game for that amount of time does not seem to be an issue of normal gameplay.

It just seems weird that you think that's ok.

We aren't pilots at the end of the day, we are players, playing a game. At a certain point that line gets drawn.

I believe it got crossed here.

Robert Saint
The Grumpy Dogs
#372 - 2013-07-03 13:41:55 UTC
jedijed wrote:
http://youtu.be/0MmIsrAQPM4

Being Bumped for an hour kinda kills a little bit of the like and excitement i have for this game,,,

Fisrt the 2 machariels bumped me for 10 minutes or so before goons ever showed up.

Second i never fly freightors i knew they get ganked but i thought it was only in .5 .6 systems

Third i didnt know it could be done in 30 fuc***** destroyers :(

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=18472599

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&view=kills&plt_id=341330&m=6&y=2013

Reminds me of the time.......

Yet, being one who was also ganked in a freighter, it would be nice to have a counter action to the common
freighter gank or at minimum a timer of how long someone can bump you before they get an aggression flag or concord starts to play with them.

1) Say once a player collides with same player 3 times within "X" minutes, it starts a bump timer and after another "X" minutes they are flagged for aggression.
2) Ganking a freighter should have a bit more strategy to it.
3) The player that is bumping should also be at risk of losing their ship..... it's only fair - at least from the gankies points of view.

All players should at least have a consequence.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#373 - 2013-07-03 13:51:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Murk Paradox
Robert Saint wrote:
jedijed wrote:
http://youtu.be/0MmIsrAQPM4

Being Bumped for an hour kinda kills a little bit of the like and excitement i have for this game,,,

Fisrt the 2 machariels bumped me for 10 minutes or so before goons ever showed up.

Second i never fly freightors i knew they get ganked but i thought it was only in .5 .6 systems

Third i didnt know it could be done in 30 fuc***** destroyers :(

http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=18472599

http://eve-kill.net/?a=pilot_detail&view=kills&plt_id=341330&m=6&y=2013

Reminds me of the time.......

Yet, being one who was also ganked in a freighter, it would be nice to have a counter action to the common
freighter gank or at minimum a timer of how long someone can bump you before they get an aggression flag or concord starts to play with them.

1) Say once a player collides with same player 3 times within "X" minutes, it starts a bump timer and after another "X" minutes they are flagged for aggression.
2) Ganking a freighter should have a bit more strategy to it.
3) The player that is bumping should also be at risk of losing their ship..... it's only fair - at least from the gankies points of view.

All players should at least have a consequence.

I can see where this train of thought can incur a response from pirates who want to say "then that mechanic gets abused since ftrade hub/undock..." and whereas they might be right, it wouldn't change the fact that the burden of enforcing a "working as intended" mechanic needed to be fixed.

That's the strange thing here. Victims are getting blamed for not finding their own way around a mechanic.

That to me is where we go down the wrong road of proving a mechanic is working as intended when it isn't.

It almost seems to me that Crimewatch is being heralded as working perfectly, when we know it isn't.

EDIT- To expand, since people tend to say "what would YOU suggest" when we all know we have our own opinions =P.... I would suggest diminishing returns.

You shouldn't have all day to be able to kill someone. You should be, as a pirate, under the gun, so to speak.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#374 - 2013-07-03 13:58:24 UTC
Quote:
Victims are getting blamed for not finding their own way around a mechanic.

Yes. Because there are ways around it, they are victimizing themselves. That's why they get blamed. Especially when they don't want to admit their act of stupidity and come on the forums to cry.

Quote:
That to me is where we go down the wrong road of proving a mechanic is working as intended when it isn't.

Wrong. If you are the one arguing for change, the onus is on you to prove the need for change. Thus far, you have not. Especially considering that in just about all of these cases the attack could have been avoided or the freighter was carrying a ludicrously high amount of loot, and thus warranted the attack.

So please, lay out the proof before us that this is in epidemic of freighters being blown up, and how there is nothing any of them could possibly have done to avoid it.

This should be good if you attempt it, but I suspect you won't.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Bolow Santosi
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#375 - 2013-07-03 13:59:59 UTC
I hear not flying around with a cargo full of stuff worth 4 times more than your ship is worth is a really good place to start to avoid things like this.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#376 - 2013-07-03 14:03:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Murk Paradox wrote:
…but still incurs an aggression timer to ensure that he can't just log off to save himself. This is intentional. Freighters have a special page in the history of abuses where this comes into play, which is why that particular loophole has been closed.

Quote:
I dunno, you just mentioned having to "balance" the benefits of the ship based on moving slots around to make them "like other ships" (ie- not special).
They're already like other ships. Their benefits are already balanced (or, more accurately, maxed out — again, giving them slots would only ever make them worse).

Regardless of whatever (not actually) special traits you want to dream up for them, the aggression flagging system is still such a base mechanic that all ships must abide by them: they're specifically there to remove all manners of tricks and rule abuse that might save your ship.

Quote:
No matter the mechanic, there does come a point where doing a single act, or even a simple series of acts, in excess, would be considered harassment and griefing to a much further degree of normal gameplay.
Yes. And that point has been defined by CCP already: when you keep following a player around and pestering him no matter where he goes and what he tries to do.

A single gank is not harassment for the simple reason that no-one is being followed around and continuously pestered, and that the target is the ship, not the player. It's a single occurrence; it's done for profit; it has all the hallmarks of a legitimate attacks on players; it has none of the hallmarks of harassment or greifing.

For reference:

· Bumping, shooting, and generally making the life miserable for everyone in a system rich on belts 23.5/7/365 — not harassment (the victims can choose a different system; the aggressors are pursuing the legitimate goal of taking the system as their own and earning ISK from it).
· Bumping, shooting, and generally making the life miserable (again 23.5/7/365) for anyone who jumps into a system with too much cargo — not harassment (the victim can choose a different route; the aggressors are pursuing the legitimate goal of blockading the system and earning ISK from it).
· Bumping, shooting, and generally making the life miserable of a single player no matter where he goes and what he tries to do — harassment (the victim is being specifically and personally targeted and his only solution is to not play the game).

The line you're talking about gets drawn after several days, not arbitrarily inside the timeframe of a single attack.

Quote:
Doing it for an hour and affecting the players ability to play the game for that amount of time does not seem to be an issue of normal gameplay.
Why wouldn't it be ok? It's great that the game allows for these kinds of drawn-out struggles between players, where they constantly wrestle to gain the upper hand. If the OP felt that the outcome was given and there was no point in fighting, it wouldn't have lasted for 60 minutes — again, this tactic relies on it being done in 15 minutes because beyond that, the entire setup is reset since you have to restart the aggression flag. He chose to extend the confrontation just as much as the gankers did.

The line was not crossed here because the OP kept pushing it in front of him.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#377 - 2013-07-03 14:05:43 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

Yeah that was the line people used as their get out of jail free card for years.

CCP finally saw sense and removed it.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#378 - 2013-07-03 14:09:35 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:

No one has said otherwise.

The very reason this mechanic was added into the game was to prevent victims who are aggressed from logging off. To claim it is griefing because it is being used to prevent players logging off is simply bizarre.

What you want is to have freighter pilots have ~special rules~ put in place to make them safer, but no such thing is necessary. They are able to perform their role more than adequately as they are with a very good level of safety. What you want is for them to be able to move much higher value items with impunity - well, that's not their role and CCP has various other classes of ship to help.

When you stop being lazy, your risk is very low.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#379 - 2013-07-03 14:49:38 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Quote:
Victims are getting blamed for not finding their own way around a mechanic.

Yes. Because there are ways around it, they are victimizing themselves. That's why they get blamed. Especially when they don't want to admit their act of stupidity and come on the forums to cry.

Quote:

Wrong. If you are the one arguing for change, the onus is on you to prove the need for change. Thus far, you have not. Especially considering that in just about all of these cases the attack could have been avoided or the freighter was carrying a ludicrously high amount of loot, and thus warranted the attack.

So please, lay out the proof before us that this is in epidemic of freighters being blown up, and how there is nothing any of them could possibly have done to avoid it.

This should be good if you attempt it, but I suspect you won't.

What ways are around getting stuck with aggression timers as a ship who cannot deaggress and cannot warp off because of being bumped and would in fact have no different result whether online or offline?

Epidemic? What epidemic? I am saying this instance the mechanic was abused, to the point of harassing a player. And I HAVE proved the need for the change. That pilot was held for over an hour, without a way to get away, even at the point of logging off.

No attempts at those claims were argued by anyone, yourself included. The point isn't avoidance. The point is not being able to get out, for, over, an, hour.

So now, I implore you, tell me how he could have gotten away after the what... 3rd aggression timer? By all means educate me since I am not aware of a way out. And don't spout about preventive maintenance, that isn't the debate here. We are past that.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#380 - 2013-07-03 14:51:40 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
…but still incurs an aggression timer to ensure that he can't just log off to save himself. This is intentional. Freighters have a special page in the history of abuses where this comes into play, which is why that particular loophole has been closed.

Quote:
They're already like other ships. Their benefits are already balanced (or, more accurately, maxed out — again, giving them slots would only ever make them worse).

Regardless of whatever (not actually) special traits you want to dream up for them, the aggression flagging system is still such a base mechanic that all ships must abide by them: they're specifically there to remove all manners of tricks and rule abuse that might save your ship.

Quote:
Yes. And that point has been defined by CCP already: when you keep following a player around and pestering him no matter where he goes and what he tries to do.

A single gank is not harassment for the simple reason that no-one is being followed around and continuously pestered, and that the target is the ship, not the player. It's a single occurrence; it's done for profit; it has all the hallmarks of a legitimate attacks on players; it has none of the hallmarks of harassment or greifing.

For reference:

· Bumping, shooting, and generally making the life miserable for everyone in a system rich on belts 23.5/7/365 — not harassment (the victims can choose a different system; the aggressors are pursuing the legitimate goal of taking the system as their own and earning ISK from it).
· Bumping, shooting, and generally making the life miserable (again 23.5/7/365) for anyone who jumps into a system with too much cargo — not harassment (the victim can choose a different route; the aggressors are pursuing the legitimate goal of blockading the system and earning ISK from it).
· Bumping, shooting, and generally making the life miserable of a single player no matter where he goes and what he tries to do — harassment (the victim is being specifically and personally targeted and his only solution is to not play the game).

The line you're talking about gets drawn after several days, not arbitrarily inside the timeframe of a single attack.

Quote:
Why wouldn't it be ok? It's great that the game allows for these kinds of drawn-out struggles between players, where they constantly wrestle to gain the upper hand. If the OP felt that the outcome was given and there was no point in fighting, it wouldn't have lasted for 60 minutes — again, this tactic relies on it being done in 15 minutes because beyond that, the entire setup is reset since you have to restart the aggression flag. He chose to extend the confrontation just as much as the gankers did.

The line was not crossed here because the OP kept pushing it in front of him.

It was proven to be harassment. He was followed numerous times. Via logoffs, other pilots disengaging their GCC and being replaced by alts, following war points. All of this has been mentioned.