These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

At what point is something an Exploit and not game Mechanics ? Bumped for 60 Minutes

First post First post First post
Author
Callyuk
M1A12 Corp
#321 - 2013-07-02 18:49:06 UTC
U MAD BRO ?
klikit
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#322 - 2013-07-02 19:01:54 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those are exploits. In fact, they are entirely legitimate mechanics expressly put into place to ensure that logging off does not save you.
I seriously doubt that the aggression timer was put into place so that players with trial accounts can sit there and take pot shots at a defenseless freighter to keep it from logging off. The way the timer is working you could literally take a rookie ship and tie up a freighter for an indefinite amount of time. I really don't think this was the effect that CCP had intended when they implemented the aggression timers.

Quote:
That is not an exploit either. It is a long-standing mechanic that is just being used a bit differently here because it simplifies co-ordination. Herding CONCORD (both to and from the scene of the crime) has been used for pretty much as long as CONCORD has existed, and has been approved for both ends; both parties can use this mechanic to their advantage.

CONCORD is a mechanic that was placed into the game to give players a layer of protection when in empire space. If players choose to loose there ship to CONCORD by ganking haulers off a gate that's fine the way I see it. Those players are aware of the consequences of there actions and are prepared to pay the price, but when you bump a ship out of CONCORDs range with the expressive intention of breaking the CONCORD defense mechanic that is an exploit.

In both of the situations outlined above, the mechanics placed in game are broken and I would be very surprised if they are functioning as intended.

You can sugar coat all you want but at the end of the day a spade is still a spade. These are some of the reasons I moved into W-space is to avoid the asshattery that is K-space.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#323 - 2013-07-02 19:13:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
klikit wrote:
I seriously doubt that the aggression timer was put into place so that players with trial accounts can sit there and take pot shots at a defenseless freighter to keep it from logging off.
No, it was put into place so that any player can sit there and take pot shots at a any defenseless ship to keep it from disappearing after logging off. Players with trial accounts and freighters are just subsets of those two classes, and no special rules are (or should be) applied to them.

Ok, maybe not any class — it was mainly targeted at capships, since it takes a while to kill those and that it was too easy for them to evade destruction by simply logging off. Luckily, freighters fall within that class as well.

Quote:
CONCORD is a mechanic that was placed into the game to give players a layer of protection when in empire space. If players choose to loose there ship to CONCORD by ganking haulers off a gate that's fine the way I see it. Those players are aware of the consequences of there actions and are prepared to pay the price, but when you bump a ship out of CONCORDs range with the expressive intention of breaking the CONCORD defense mechanic that is an exploit.
Sure. But this is not breaking the mechanic. Being able to delay CONCORD by luring them off-grid before a gank is part of the toolbox, same as being able to speed it up by luring them on-grid before a gank. Neither of these break the defence mechanic — they just introduce a ±6 seconds fudge factor to the response time, to be adjusted to your advantage as you see fit.

Quote:
You can sugar coat all you want but at the end of the day a spade is still a spade.
…which is why all of this is called a legitimate tactic.
Callyuk
M1A12 Corp
#324 - 2013-07-02 19:17:18 UTC
luring them on gird is the only way i had to save myself and i did . the first time . after that the xploiters win
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#325 - 2013-07-02 19:18:25 UTC
Callyuk wrote:
luring them on gird is the only way i had to save myself and i did . the first time . after that the xploiters win

They didn't exploit any more than you did. Are you going to hand yourself in to the GMs?
Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#326 - 2013-07-02 19:24:15 UTC
Add collision damage. Youll stop bumping into things eventually as you see your ship go *pop*. Don't make one bump enough to damage a ship a lot, just make a bunch in a certain time frame add up to killing yourself.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#327 - 2013-07-02 19:25:03 UTC
Silent Rambo wrote:
Add collision damage. Youll stop bumping into things eventually as you see your ship go *pop*. Don't make one bump enough to damage a ship a lot, just make a bunch in a certain time frame add up to killing yourself.

Free ganking? Excellent.
Callyuk
M1A12 Corp
#328 - 2013-07-02 19:31:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Callyuk
sounds plausible in high sec only and to people you cant legitimately kill anyway. non war targets . But then theres the whole repping mechanic. how would that work into this ? I smell a goon workaround !

CCP will have to make a decision on this subject in short time as there are multiple petitions in about Bumping which is = to a focused warp disruption script for a capital without a jump drive.
Add that to the fact that it serves a dual purpose
1 warp scrambling
2 getting it out of range of gate guns and concord

Jedijed's case may be viewed a little differently than most due to the amount of time they held him there .
When they answer the petition We will all have the final answer.
Silent Rambo
Orion Positronics
#329 - 2013-07-02 19:51:58 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Silent Rambo wrote:

Free ganking? Excellent.

Yeah I see your point lol. I just wish **** could actually collide with other stuff.

You really think someone would do that? Just log into EvE and tell lies?

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#330 - 2013-07-02 20:43:57 UTC

Here's my 0.02 isk worth:

1.) Bumping the ship while forming up a fleet to gank it sucks for the bumped, but is still a legitimate tactic. Panicking and logging off was a bad move, and should be punished appropriately!!!

2.) When the pilot logged back in, his ship was in a state of perpetual (attempting to warp) that could not be cancelled. This is very, very problematic, as the freighter is essentially stuck. Otherwise the freighter could have attempted to warp to some location (inline) with a good/bad bump.

3.) I thought there was a double log off trick that allowed you to "escape" from these situations... Does that not work anymore? Does anyone know the details of how that worked?
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#331 - 2013-07-02 20:53:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Callyuk wrote:
I never fly freighters i knew they get ganked but unlike when i left the game it only happened in .5 .6 systems with alpha fleets (just started back after new global flagging system didn't fully understand how it worked in ganking situation)

Well, no this has nothing to do with your boy losing his ship, and everything to do with your standings to GSF.

If you don't want New Eden's premier ganking outfit to destroy your ships you shouldn't let us see them. If you think cargo value or system sec has anything to so with it, you're wrong.
See: http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=17505933
also we don't agress on trial accounts or otherwise break rules regarding sec status (you can see me doing it on my main here http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=17939510&nolimit).
We're endlessly fastidious because we assume every freighter loss gets petitioned (and we're not far off).
We have alts in most ~hauly things of interest~ and the first thing anyone says to someone losing a freighter is "petition it" often with advice to do so repeatedly to annoy CCP into changing the rules against us. Sometimes they even abuse the stuck petition system to try to get moved whilst bumped.
If you think I'm painting you as a self-interested bunch of whiners, then you're gleaning the meaning in my post.
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
3.) I thought there was a double log off trick that allowed you to "escape" from these situations... Does that not work anymore? Does anyone know the details of how that worked?

Everything looked like it was working properly, but he hid the hud in his video so it's impossible to see what the status was.

I'm not going to say how it was done, but the method to move your e-warp location was taken out.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#332 - 2013-07-02 20:59:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Khanh'rhh
Callyuk wrote:
CCP will have to make a decision on this subject in short time as there are multiple petitions in about Bumping which is = to a focused warp disruption script for a capital without a jump drive.

They did make a decision.

I really don't get how people posting in this thread (where the decision has been repeatedly quoted or linked to) still are saying "CCP need to look at this"

CCP took several weeks looking into the issue of bumping and concluded that it was a normal application of game mechanics, as intended, and that doing so was not an exploit in any form.

I highly suggest you read the material in question so you are no longer asking CCP to do something they have already done.

e: also you can escape from being bumped, so no equating it to an infinite point is rather silly.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Callyuk
M1A12 Corp
#333 - 2013-07-02 21:14:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Callyuk
If i relied on ganking defenseless freighters to make my killboard green I'd say the sane thing you just said.

Your just a troll and your not making sense
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#334 - 2013-07-02 21:27:06 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those have anything to do with freighters, and both of them are legitimate tactics — in fact, the aggression flagging was explicitly put into place to get rid of certain abuses. Also, being able to do it for an hour doesn't make in any more of an abuse — it all happens in 15-minute portions anyway — it just makes it a complete failure on both sides. Lol

That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all. As mentioned before it was used for capiltals that people tried to bug out on and couldn't.

Since freighters are not used for any of the same abuses the logoff factor of the aggression timers, it shouldn't apply, right?

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#335 - 2013-07-02 21:35:14 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Callyuk wrote:

They did make a decision.

I really don't get how people posting in this thread (where the decision has been repeatedly quoted or linked to) still are saying "CCP need to look at this"

CCP took several weeks looking into the issue of bumping and concluded that it was a normal application of game mechanics, as intended, and that doing so was not an exploit in any form.

I highly suggest you read the material in question so you are no longer asking CCP to do something they have already done.

e: also you can escape from being bumped, so no equating it to an infinite point is rather silly.

I don't think the act of bumping is the problem or at question here. For those that think so, well, there was a GM clarification on that!

Manipulation of that e-warp and how it disables your ship coupled with refreshing an aggression timer on something that can't aggress (therefore should be able to have that timer just for being a victim) is where the problem lies.

For instance- if I was aggressed at a gate or a station, I should be able to dock. As long as I don't get a LE timer by not shooting or aggressing someone. I should, and can, dock/jump with impunity while the person who does have a LE timer for aggressing cannot.

But with a combination of those same mechanics, you manipulate a scenario where that can't happen in open space and specifically removes the pilots control from his grasp.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Elizabeth Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#336 - 2013-07-02 22:01:17 UTC
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Neither of those have anything to do with freighters, and both of them are legitimate tactics — in fact, the aggression flagging was explicitly put into place to get rid of certain abuses. Also, being able to do it for an hour doesn't make in any more of an abuse — it all happens in 15-minute portions anyway — it just makes it a complete failure on both sides. Lol

That's the problem. It shouldn't apply to freighters at all. As mentioned before it was used for capiltals that people tried to bug out on and couldn't.

Since freighters are not used for any of the same abuses the logoff factor of the aggression timers, it shouldn't apply, right?

what about a more "legitimate" pvp situation, like a freighter transporting an ihub in nullsec?
Typherian
Criterion.
Pandemic Legion
#337 - 2013-07-02 22:03:21 UTC
So many whiners.......

They had more pilots and better coordination. The freighter pilot apparently didn't have scouts or webbers. Bumping someone for an hour to prevent them warping off is no different to pointing something at a belt and holding them for backup to arrive. I know of at least one instance in the past few weeks of a ratting carrier being held for 45+ minutes until a fleet could show up to finish it off. Too lazy to quote but I think I saw someone say that an unarmed ship shouldn't be able to get the aggression timer. That is a stupid idea because it allows carebears to game the system to avoid consequences of being stupid and flying without scouts. Also would be way to easy to game that system.

FAKE EDIT: I've been spending an unholy amount of time grinding goon structures in fountain and I've never actually ganked a freighter in highsec. Have to head off those stupid excuses before they even happen.
Callyuk
M1A12 Corp
#338 - 2013-07-02 22:08:16 UTC
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:

what about a more "legitimate" pvp situation, like a freighter transporting an ihub in nullsec?

key word being nullsec
Elizabeth Aideron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#339 - 2013-07-02 22:10:04 UTC
Callyuk wrote:
Elizabeth Aideron wrote:
Murk Paradox wrote:
Tippia wrote:

key word being nullsec

now what about a wartarget freighter in jita. a rifter has a point on it and the fleet is 5 minutes away
Callyuk
M1A12 Corp
#340 - 2013-07-02 22:12:51 UTC
u wouldnt need to bumpo a war target but once maybe twice but keyword here is WAR TARGET