These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Games Announces Former EA Executive Sean Decker as Senior Vice President

First post First post First post
Author
Frank Millar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#261 - 2013-07-02 19:07:19 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
When will Frank be saying hello to us?

Hello.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#262 - 2013-07-02 19:07:41 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
Kult Altol wrote:
Mintchip and NOW THIS?! CCP STAAAAHP. Whats next?!

Seriously one freaking micotransaction or anything that looks like some EA BS, I'm biomassing.

and no you can't have my stuff.

So, whats the issue or problem with Mintchiplol?

Really guys, I'd like to know where the problem is so I could bear and laugh with you.

I'm pretty sure telling you would cause me to incur a forum ban. Most of the posts in this thread that mention CCP [REDACTED] have already been deleted.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#263 - 2013-07-02 19:08:58 UTC
Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#264 - 2013-07-02 19:09:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Uoweme
This is where we disagree.

You're just pointing out the "business intention and bashing" around it because customers are simply sheeps, flowers with no will and let alone brains to think about anything else but what you're ready to put in your commercial.

No, I pointing out reality.

You can make a political stand. But all the companies care about is what they pull in. Now if the nets are pulling in fewer fish, they're pulling in fewer fish. No grandstanding is going to change that fact.

That an educational problem that has nothing to do with reality. The reality IS that your current console does nothing more than your PC but for far more money less flexibility and far more constraints only to feed a business model based on "specialness"

Again, you can make political statements, but at the end of the day, what counts is if the company can make a profit.

Why do you think the publishers went with consoles as their prime platform? EA did it to combat piracy. It's classic cause and effect.

On a business standpoint it was necessary as it was eating their profits. Just like CCP will go after RMT sales.

Consoles are here to stay until another tech comes along, that these publishers will prefer.

How the fck can you say my computer is a copy of your crapy console when the first ever joystic is a fcking computer one?

I didn't. But I see you are abreast with the politics.

Hint: last console I had was back in '78.

Like I said, folks are chasing ghosts.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

SmokinDank
Horizon Research Group
#265 - 2013-07-02 19:09:23 UTC
Gol dang you neckbeards sure like to rable Lol

Inspector Blake
Corporation N
#266 - 2013-07-02 19:09:29 UTC
Barred from all EA based games anyway,

WTfllyingF would any company wishing to last more than a year hire one of their Muppets for?

FREMIUM.
Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#267 - 2013-07-02 19:11:28 UTC
So, whats the issue or problem with Mintchiplol?

Really guys, I'd like to know where the problem is so I could bear and laugh with you.

I think it's less about anything funny, and more about "WTF CCP?!" in regards to some of her videos, comments, and Tweets (now mysteriously missing from YouTube and Twitter) about how she dislikes EvE and has quit playing. Admittedly, she isn't involved with EvE, but rather with DUST, but even so, if I started to badmouth a company and their product, I wouldn't expect to get a job there, even for a different project than what I badmouthed.

That brings things along to a few other concerns that people have -- which I'll not repeat here as I'd rather not eat a forum ban -- that you can find easily-enough on Google.
Lallante
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#268 - 2013-07-02 19:11:57 UTC
Hanz Naari
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#269 - 2013-07-02 19:12:05 UTC
Just Lilly wrote:
EA infiltrating CCP with an trustworthy alt that has a clean record
EA alt take the backseat for a couple years, to build trust and to whisper in Hilmars ears.
EA alt opens up the "backdoor" on a dark and stormy night, when Hilmar is drunk
EA Corp moves in and Hilmar wakes up, finding himself sleeping on the street.

~Game Over~

Blink

That would fit right into the EvE Universe. Pirate

Though, this guy is no longer with EA, but who knows right?
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#270 - 2013-07-02 19:12:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Miilla
Entropia here we come!

We done it! We finally found that last nail, that last bit of straw!

Maybe they should debrief him on the Fearless , Greed is Good incarna threadnaut :)
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#271 - 2013-07-02 19:13:43 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Entropia here we come!

We done it! We finally found that last nail, that last bit fo straw!

Bite your tongue.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Soylent Jade
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#272 - 2013-07-02 19:18:42 UTC
Miilla wrote:
Elaine Dickinson: There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

I'll see your "Airplane" quote and raise you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

Making hisec better...one Catalyst at a time

minerbumping.com

Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#273 - 2013-07-02 19:23:32 UTC
Lallante wrote:
An interview with him from 2009

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eas-sean-decker-interview

Have to say his answers could have been a lot worse.

Quote:
When you think about the reasons people play, there are so many - there are very competitive people, there are people who are co-operative and want to play with their friends, there are people who are collectors who want every achievement and award... and everybody has different things to motivate them to go online, and the question is, can you provide what that person wants?

and

Quote:
I think there are a lot of people who don't like to play games online. They want to go home and play for 20 minutes by themselves and just have their own experience - they don't want anybody else interrupting it.

are pretty telling from that interview. Unlike griefers, Jenn, Tippia, and James315, this dude understands that not everyone wants to be involved in multiplayer combat just by being in a game with other people. There is a way to provide for competitive and co-operative players alike by tweaking Highsec to actually be high security, while still allowing the random f--kfest that is low/null.

Based on those two quotes alone I think this dude actually does know this, and that the bittervets will have a fit when he doesn't listen to their "working as intended change nothing" echo machine.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#274 - 2013-07-02 19:24:17 UTC
Shizuken wrote:
Lallante wrote:
An interview with him from 2009

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/eas-sean-decker-interview

Have to say his answers could have been a lot worse.

Quote:
When you think about the reasons people play, there are so many - there are very competitive people, there are people who are co-operative and want to play with their friends, there are people who are collectors who want every achievement and award... and everybody has different things to motivate them to go online, and the question is, can you provide what that person wants?

and

Quote:
I think there are a lot of people who don't like to play games online. They want to go home and play for 20 minutes by themselves and just have their own experience - they don't want anybody else interrupting it.

are pretty telling from that interview. Unlike griefers, Jenn, Tippia, and James315, this dude understands that not everyone wants to be involved in multiplayer combat just by being in a game with other people. There is a way to provide for competitive and co-operative players alike by tweaking Highsec to actually be high security, while still allowing the random f--kfest that is low/null.

Based on those two quotes alone I think this dude actually does know this, and that the bittervets will have a fit when he doesn't listen to their "working as intended change nothing" echo machine.

GO play X^n series.
Heavy Met4l Queen
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#275 - 2013-07-02 19:24:29 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Winter Archipelago wrote:
Attracting new players is one thing, and is an admirable ambition. Sacrificing everything that makes EvE unique and turning it into another pump'n'dump game in order to do so is not.

CCP doesn't have much of a choice.

If they don't compete, and the MMO players decline (due to consoles), they have to do something.

What EvE may become is more mainstream (and honestly I hope so, because it's the only way to bring in the real human numbers). A game has 2 choices mainstream or sandbox, but if your customer base is dwindling because of consoles -- and the game can't adapt to consoles -- what choice do they have?

Don't make it sounds like there isn't any choice but to throw Eve online into the meat-grinder that is generic MMO's in order for it to survive. Eve has a great system in place, keeping the people who want casual gaming out with an iron hard difficulty curve and giving people who want a challenging sandbox environment a place to learn and create new experiences. it is this unique atmosphere that has kept people in eve and will continue to do so.

even though casual activities are a part of the game, is it really something you want to put emphasis on to try to attract more casual players? can you imagine CCP trying to get more people to play eve advertising "COME PLAY WITH INTERNET SPACESHIPS, WHERE YOU CAN MINE SAFELY FOR HOURS ON END!".

Making eve more casual and "mainstream" as you hipsters call it isn't going to save Eve. it will destroy it from the foundation up! Iirc Eve's subscription rates have been more popular now than ever. And even though its had rough spots (Incarna :P) CCP's formula for Eve has never been better. Don't **** it up by trying to sell us, the consumers, that this is what is required to keep eve alive and will become the future. That's what Microsoft did with the xbox one, and look where that's gotten them.

I Dont want someone coming in and telling CCP that downloadable content and more fees is the future of gaming and that's the way it should be. Eve online is CCP's child and let them raise it how they see fit. Its worked so far and from what im seeing it will work down the road.

In the game of conquest, who cares about the pawns if the king yet reigns?

Bertrand Butler
Cras es Noster
#276 - 2013-07-02 19:25:40 UTC
Miilla wrote:

Ahhh Westwood, they done the Eye of the Beholder series etc... oh I remember those damn spiders

The spiders were fine, those ******* mind flayers though...ugh!

Funny tidbit. The EoB series was developed by Westwood and SSI, Sean Decker used to work for the latter. Panzer General II was <3
Spenser for Hire
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#277 - 2013-07-02 19:27:17 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Titan was the major title folks were looking forward to, because despite everything, Blizzard takes time to get it right. They have excellent production values. So we're stuck with these 2004 MMOs until then (probably 2017), and for other publishers catch up after they see what's on the plate.

MMOs are in a hiatus period of development. Two major titles tried to break the chokehold of WoW, both on life support within 2 years. Investors aren't going to invest in another title like that again, until Titan comes out and shows them what the next gen offers.

I can't say I'm happy with this choice, but you got to do what you got to do for another 3 to 4 years. And for CCP, DUST has to work.

<"I think we all agree that the End Times are upon us.">
What amazes me is that much of the EVE Community is completely oblivious to the developmental phenomenon of "Star Citizen." EVE Online is no longer the only space-based Sci-fi MMO. (present tense: IS no longer...) I re-subbed for a couple of months for Nostalgia and because I feel kind of sad for EVE Online. I personally don't think EVE will survive the release of SC.

It makes sense that CCP is beginning to lay down a strategy for dealing with the eclipse of EVE Online. However, I agree with everyone here that hiring an employee of EA sends a dark and chilling message of the direction that CCP has decided upon.
EA represents absolute indifference to gamers/consumers and gaming.
EA represents bilking its customers of every dime via the most heartless tactics.

I too boycott EA.

quoted for hilarity
Ifly Uwalk wrote:
Every expansion will now be branded as DLC, which...
... you won't be able to buy with dollars, euros, yens or dirhams, oh no. You'll have to pay for them with Aurum; and each DLC will cost less than a certain multiple of AUR. So you'll always have to buy more AUR than you actually need.

X

KnowUsByTheDead wrote:
I, for one, gladly welcome CCP Crash And Burn to the company.

Don't ask me to post with my main! You post with your main first!

Thorn Galen
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
The Curatores Veritatis Auxiliary
#278 - 2013-07-02 19:27:26 UTC
Yes this has been posted as a link, these are just some of the highlights which caught my attention.

---From the link.
So it's probably no surprise to learn that one of the main minds behind the free to play games industry - Sean Decker, EA's VP of Play4Free, sees things a little bit differently too.

"I see the world as a micro-transaction," he tells the Huffington Post in a phone interview.

"If I get on an airplane, I could pay for economy. But I can decide that I want a pillow, drinks or a better seat, and I'll pay for it. The whole world is set up like that."

The world as micro-transaction. Makes sense for the man running Battlefield Heroes, Command & Conquer Tiberium Alliances and Need For Speed World, ostensibly free games where micro-transactions are driving growth and new revenue.

"It's kind of true!" Decker insists, reflecting on his 'free to breathe' utopia.

"It's like a TV package - you can get the basic package or extra stations, or pay per view, or maybe on your mobile. There are so many micro-transactions out there."

....more stuff was said

....and more

then this:

Beta testing is key, he added. Typically new Play4Free titles are in closed beta for anything up to eight months.

"You can start off small and see if this concept gels with people. Because it's free you'll get a large audience to come and try it out and... you'll see."
________

Go on and read the comments.

To me, none of this inspires any form of confidence.

It's not about jumping the gun, it's not about being a drama queen, it's not about "wait and see".
It's about what has already come to pass in the industry, it's about the arrogant treatment of their (EA) playerbase.

o7

Long live EAvE !! Shocked
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#279 - 2013-07-02 19:27:50 UTC
Oh boy finally, I can pay for more skill points!

Now you can unlock more WiS content for only 5$.

Does anyone know what this guy is going to be actually doing?

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#280 - 2013-07-02 19:32:07 UTC
Kult Altol wrote:
Does anyone know what this guy is going to be actually doing?

This.