These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Teenage gamer may go to prison for 8 years.

First post
Author
Astenion
Zeeman Industries
The Ancients.
#301 - 2013-07-02 10:13:59 UTC
...and people ask me why I left.
Tukee
Cocoa The Clown Appreciation Society
#302 - 2013-07-02 10:52:27 UTC
Ustrello wrote:
I'll eat your kidneys

Only if you supply the farva beans sweetpea....
Tukee
Cocoa The Clown Appreciation Society
#303 - 2013-07-02 10:55:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Tukee
Mildew Wolf wrote:
another thwarted terrorist attack \o/ working as intended


DAMN are you man or woman....you got ¡sʇıʇ ɥɔʇıq
Tukee
Cocoa The Clown Appreciation Society
#304 - 2013-07-02 10:56:26 UTC
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
Mildew Wolf wrote:
another thwarted terrorist attack \o/ working as intended


Slightly off topic here (so I apologise) but... Your avatar... Shocked Just... Erm... Erm... Ugh


Transgender is prolly the word your looking for
Tukee
Cocoa The Clown Appreciation Society
#305 - 2013-07-02 11:01:59 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
all teenagers should go to prison.

That be a bummer......quite literally....
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#306 - 2013-07-02 11:13:40 UTC
Tukee wrote:
Hessian Arcturus wrote:
Mildew Wolf wrote:
another thwarted terrorist attack \o/ working as intended


Slightly off topic here (so I apologise) but... Your avatar... Shocked Just... Erm... Erm... Ugh


Transgender is prolly the word your looking for



You say that like it's a bad thing.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#307 - 2013-07-02 11:24:59 UTC
Any word yet on how the hearing went yesterday?

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Karl Planck
Perkone
Caldari State
#308 - 2013-07-02 14:48:44 UTC
LOL = worst community ever

in any case he is not going to get 8 years in prison. This is a media case to draw attention to an ongoing problem involving free speech that has little to no historical precedence.

I has all the eve inactivity

Hessian Arcturus
Doomheim
#309 - 2013-07-02 15:59:20 UTC
War Kitten wrote:
Any word yet on how the hearing went yesterday?


Been having a look around online but so far I can't find anything. If anyone else has any news, feel free to wack it up in this thread so we can find out please.

Although, I can see this court case lasting a few days. Could be wrong but...

It's human nature to want to explore. To find your line and go beyond it. The only limit, is the one you set yourself.

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#310 - 2013-07-02 17:30:33 UTC
Karl Planck wrote:
This is a media case to draw attention to an ongoing problem involving free speech that has little to no historical precedence.


The Patriot Act and NDAA are all the precedent they need. I don't know why anyone still thinks constitutional rights or previous judicial precedent mean anything unless they haven't the faintest idea what's written in those two documents.
Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#311 - 2013-07-03 11:34:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Gallowmere Rorschach
Tumahub wrote:
Karl Planck wrote:
This is a media case to draw attention to an ongoing problem involving free speech that has little to no historical precedence.


The Patriot Act and NDAA are all the precedent they need. I don't know why anyone still thinks constitutional rights or previous judicial precedent mean anything unless they haven't the faintest idea what's written in those two documents.

Therein lies the problem. Most people don't know what's written into them. I am sure you recall as well as I do how that bill was passed. Times of crisis make for excellent political opportunities. It's becoming more and more common all of the time. As another (off-topic to say the least) example, look at how the PPACA was passed. All of these "vote for it because you have to for (insert random reason here), not because of what's in it" bills are extremely problematic.
Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#312 - 2013-07-03 17:40:22 UTC
Gallowmere Rorschach wrote:

Therein lies the problem. Most people don't know what's written into them. I am sure you recall as well as I do how that bill was passed. Times of crisis make for excellent political opportunities. It's becoming more and more common all of the time. As another (off-topic to say the least) example, look at how the PPACA was passed. All of these "vote for it because you have to for (insert random reason here), not because of what's in it" bills are extremely problematic.


I would argue that is the rule (not knowing or caring about legislation) rather than the exception for these specific instances where the results are so dramatic. People aren't just unaware, they actively avoid this knowledge.

In an environment where more journalists and their sources have been prosecuted than any other time in history, it's no small wonder that anyone has the stones to ask about where their supposed rights went. The moment you stop believing in the dichotomy, where at least one political party has the right idea (they clearly do not), you open yourself up to becoming the victim of both parties. So long as you remain on-board with at least one of the gangs, you stand to receive the benefits of being protected by that group. When the cryps and bloods are at war in your neighborhood, the neutrals are the first ones to be killed so everyone at least pretends to take a side and waffles as necessary to save their own skin.

Even if one does have the strength of their convictions, they're better off ignoring politics. To enter into the bi-polar system is to bastardize your cause entirely. To join as a third-wheel is certain death, be that social, or literal.

Work to reform your hyper-liberal town from within the conservative movement? You are branded a racist, misogynist, and elitist. Work to reform your hyper-conservative town from within a liberal movement? You are branded a commie flag-burner who hates everyone in his own country. It doesn't matter if you express dissent from every other party position except your one issue and campaign tirelessly to help people find a common reasonable ground. They will see you as they see everything else that does not mesh their the party platform: enemy.

This is because politics are not markets. They aren't a free exchange of ideas where people seek to benefit themselves by offering something of value in return. They are a means for a majority (however cobbled and awkward) to assert their will over everyone else. To be political is to attempt to dominate. To accept politics as a valid means of resolving social problems is to accept that you will be, on more occasions than not, dominated. So it should come as no surprise that most people aren't ready to ask questions or stand on any kind of moral ground. We know exactly what happens to that kind of person and evolution has conditioned most of us not to be martyrs, even for the high and supposedly hallowed virtues written about in our constitution.
Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#313 - 2013-07-05 16:38:05 UTC
The problem would be -- what if he did carry out that threat?

The authorites have no way of knowing what he is or isn't going to do and there's enough bloody idiots around for one of them to become unhinged over something as stupid as a video game and then go postal.

In these less than enlightened times the authorities had no real choice even if it's to make an example out of him. I don't think that anyone in their right minds would make a statement such as he has done.

It's no different to going to an airport and joking to the security that one has a bomb in the bag.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#314 - 2013-07-05 19:37:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Complete overreaction on the part of the authorities, Texas nuff said.

This seems relevant, and slightly prophetic

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#315 - 2013-07-05 19:43:07 UTC
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:
The problem would be -- what if he did carry out that threat?


What if everyone did everything they threatened to do?

They don't. And if you convict people of verbal/thought crimes, you are advocating for authoritarianism of the highest order.

Also, schools should allow teachers to arm themselves in case of attack. That's how you actually prevent the insane from pulling off a massacre.
Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#316 - 2013-07-06 08:28:13 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:
The problem would be -- what if he did carry out that threat?


What if everyone did everything they threatened to do?

They don't. And if you convict people of verbal/thought crimes, you are advocating for authoritarianism of the highest order.

Also, schools should allow teachers to arm themselves in case of attack. That's how you actually prevent the insane from pulling off a massacre.



Next time you talk to security at an airport and declare that you have explosives in your luggage, do tell us what happens.

We will, of course, wait.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#317 - 2013-07-06 09:03:37 UTC
On a good note, when he gets out of jail he'll probably think things through before smashing his ham-fingers on the keyboard again.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#318 - 2013-07-06 16:06:25 UTC
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:

Next time you talk to security at an airport and declare that you have explosives in your luggage, do tell us what happens.

We will, of course, wait.


So you think the TSA needs to be in schools or listening in on gamers? Sorry, I know you probably thought that was clever, but you need to stay on the immediate topic for your jokes to make sense.

Sounds like you enjoy a good groping and radiation bath at the airport. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be mandatory.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#319 - 2013-07-06 16:23:03 UTC
Tumahub wrote:
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:

Next time you talk to security at an airport and declare that you have explosives in your luggage, do tell us what happens.

We will, of course, wait.


So you think the TSA needs to be in schools or listening in on gamers? Sorry, I know you probably thought that was clever, but you need to stay on the immediate topic for your jokes to make sense.

Sounds like you enjoy a good groping and radiation bath at the airport. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be mandatory.



I just knew you were not old enough to remember Sept 11, 2001.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Tumahub
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#320 - 2013-07-06 16:48:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Tumahub
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
Tumahub wrote:
Myfanwy Heimdal wrote:

Next time you talk to security at an airport and declare that you have explosives in your luggage, do tell us what happens.

We will, of course, wait.


So you think the TSA needs to be in schools or listening in on gamers? Sorry, I know you probably thought that was clever, but you need to stay on the immediate topic for your jokes to make sense.

Sounds like you enjoy a good groping and radiation bath at the airport. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it should be mandatory.



I just knew you were not old enough to remember Sept 11, 2001.


"9-11 changed everything."

-Sean Hannity, Fox News

So I guess this is your way of coming out as a conservative?