These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

At what point is something an Exploit and not game Mechanics ? Bumped for 60 Minutes

First post First post First post
Author
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#181 - 2013-07-01 13:34:32 UTC
Ban Bindy wrote:
A reasonable dev, even one that has designed bumping as an option, might find being bumped for an hour to be excessive or an exploit. Despite Tippia's dominance here, she does not actually speak for the devs. So it's worth a petition to find out.

The major problem with that is, since he only has 15-16 minutes of video...

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

S Byerley
The Manhattan Engineer District
#182 - 2013-07-01 13:37:16 UTC  |  Edited by: S Byerley
Tippia wrote:
S Byerley wrote:
So as long as someone means well they can do whatever they want?
Quite possibly, yes.

Nope; sorry

Tippia wrote:
Quote:
The required DPS for the OP's loss was well under 200.
Uh-huh. 200k EHP delivered in ~15 seconds by 29 ships ≠ less than 200 DPS. Roll

Op took 60k in killmail; give me a pricetag pls.
Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#183 - 2013-07-01 13:37:22 UTC
Not read all the pages, but...

jedijed wrote:
http://youtu.be/0MmIsrAQPM4

Being Bumped for an hour kinda kills a little bit of the like and excitement i have for this game,,,

Fisrt the 2 machariels bumped me for 10 minutes or so before goons ever showed up.

Then why didn't you log off? Without aggression you'd have disappeared after 60 seconds, and I doubt they'd have their Machas get concorded only to get you aggression-flagged.

As for being harassed for an hour... well you can always self-destruct and warp away in pod and continue playing. Not that I would've done it in that situation of course ^^

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#184 - 2013-07-01 13:39:02 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ban Bindy wrote:
A reasonable dev, even one that has designed bumping as an option, might find being bumped for an hour to be excessive or an exploit. Despite Tippia's dominance here, she does not actually speak for the devs. So it's worth a petition to find out.

Oh that's not a problem. The video isn't admissible as evidence anyway. Blink
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#185 - 2013-07-01 13:43:08 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Ban Bindy wrote:

Oh that's not a problem. The video isn't admissible as evidence anyway. Blink

No, the implication being that he lied about the time. Amounts to the same thing though. If petitions for bumps worked, at all, well, let's just say one of the more amusing blogs I've enjoyed reading for about a year now wouldn't be doing such rousing business.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#186 - 2013-07-01 13:43:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Freighdee Katt
Tippia wrote:
Freighdee Katt wrote:
If they never aggress you, does that mean you can escape persistent bumping by logging off at any time and logging back on?

Pretty much. You just have to wait a while for them to leave the spot where you'll reappear when you log back in. Ewarps are purposefully designed to allow pretty much zero input once they've been initiated. Every now and then, some tactic or technique arises that lets you manipulate where you end up, but they tend to get squished in short order.

So it sounds like the worst case to escape bumping without aggression is you have to logoff for however long it takes the bumpers to get bored and go away.

Is it ever possible to cancel the e-warp on login, or is that what you mean by allowing no input?

If they're unusually persistent, then a bumping alt or two could deny a freighter pilot the ability to take any in-game action for basically as long as they're willing to stay logged in at the spot you e-warped off from, with no cost other than boredom. Since the freighter can't warp off before they can start bumping you again, you're stuck unless they all go AFK or leave.

This starts to sound a little like the silliness that arises in other games when collision boxes make it possible for players to block doors in social or quest areas either with several toons or with collidable player-deployed objects. It seems there is a point at which this becomes actionable as harassment, but nothing CCP has said so far makes it clear when that might be.

How does a downtime affect this? You could obviously hope that it takes the bumpers long enough to log in that you have enough time to get out of e-warp and warp off. But would there be any change to your e-warp return spot as well, or would you just log in at the random e-warp spot without an e-warp happening?

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#187 - 2013-07-01 13:45:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
S Byerley wrote:
Nope
Sure it is. The fact that you can't think of a scenario rather proves the inability to automate it in the fashion you're suggesting. How do you propose that the data mining should uncover hitherto unknown facts about the bumper and bumpee that makes it a clear case of non-harassment even though they've been running into each other constantly for months?

Quote:
You mean the killmail that 1) only records raw HP, not EHP and 2) is notoriously inaccurate in measuring HP damage delivered?

An Obelisk has 200k EHP against blasters. The DPS required is in the region of 500, which means we're looking at T2 equipment, which means we end up in the 5–10M region depending on how close you dare to cut it and how you boost the damage. 1M doesn't even buy you the hull.

Freighdee Katt wrote:
Is it ever possible to cancel the e-warp on login, or is that what you mean by allowing no input?
No such control is supposed to be possible (but occasionally, it has snuck in anyway). Once you're off, you go the 1M km away where the ships wait to despawn; when logging back in, you warp back to where you were (or where you were going all along if you pulled the plug mid-warp).

From time to time, it's been possible to alter the landing spot by doing repeated login/disconnects, but they seem to have fixed that for now.
S Byerley
#188 - 2013-07-01 14:10:31 UTC  |  Edited by: S Byerley
Tippia wrote:
Sure it is. The fact that you can't think of a scenario rather proves the inability to automate it in the fashion you're suggesting. How do you propose that the data mining should uncover hitherto unknown facts about the bumper and bumpee that makes it a clear case of non-harassment even though they've been running into each other constantly for months?

The same way a GM would; I can assure you that the person's thought process doesn't factor in.

Tippia wrote:
Quote:
You mean the killmail that 1) only records raw HP, not EHP and 2) is notoriously inaccurate in measuring HP damage delivered?

60k doesn't conflict with the account at all.

Tippia wrote:
An Obelisk has 200k EHP against blasters. The DPS required is in the region of 500, which means we're looking at T2 equipment, which means we end up in the 5–10M region depending on how close you dare to cut it and how you boost the damage.

200k/29/19 is < 363dps hun. Even 5m is still comparable to continuous fire on a Machariel with republic fleet ammo (which napkin math puts at about 3.6m a tick)

Tippia wrote:
1M doesn't even buy you the hull.

Sure it does: http://www.eve-central.com/home/quicklook.html?typeid=16240
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#189 - 2013-07-01 14:10:47 UTC
Tippia wrote:

From time to time, it's been possible to alter the landing spot by doing repeated login/disconnects, but they seem to have fixed that for now.

They stopped that several years ago to stop russian supers from E-warping out of bubbles
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#190 - 2013-07-01 14:21:39 UTC
S Byerley wrote:
The same way a GM would
So your data sifting tool includes an Eliza implementation now? Interesting…

Quote:
I can assure you that the person's thought process doesn't factor in.
The thought process of all three parties factor in. I assure you right back.

Quote:
60k doesn't conflict with the account at all.
…referring to which part, exactly?

Quote:
200k/29/19
…or you can try not to alter the numbers. 200k / 29 / 15 = 460 + margin to make sure you get it done = 500.

…and minerals you mine yourself are free. Except, you know, not. So it's just over 1M.
S Byerley
#191 - 2013-07-01 14:38:55 UTC  |  Edited by: S Byerley
Tippia wrote:
S Byerley wrote:
The same way a GM would
So your data sifting tool includes an Eliza implementation now? Interesting…

The thought process of all three parties factor in. I assure you right back.

I know CCP is pretty cool, but I don't think their GMs read minds. You'd also be surprised how much accuracy you can pull out of text without proper language processing, but you're so far off the original topic at this point that I'm really just playing along because it's a neat subject.

Tippia wrote:
…referring to which part, exactly?

The part where they made multiple suicide runs.

Tippia wrote:
…or you can try not to alter the numbers. 200k / 29 / 15 = 460 + margin to make sure you get it done = 500.

15s is a ballpark (you acknowledged as much); it's much more like 19s in actuality.

Tippia wrote:
…and minerals you mine yourself are free. Except, you know, not. So it's just over 1M.

You wouldn't have to do the manufacturing if you stopped bumping all the freighters; just saying.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#192 - 2013-07-01 14:50:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
S Byerley wrote:
I know CCP is pretty cool, but I don't think their GMs read minds.
No, they just use judgement and investigative ability to clear up judgement calls, and they are able to exercise discretion depending on what they find in what context.

So: how do you propose that the data mining should uncover hitherto unknown facts about the bumper and bumpee that makes it a clear case of non-harassment even though they've been running into each other constantly for months?

Quote:
You mean the part where the first squad was faced with on-grid CONCORD and died immediately? No, that doesn't account for a 70% reduction of HP (which over an hour would be even less due to regen).

So: 200k EHP over 15 seconds for 29 ships → 460 + safety margin = 500 DPS.

Quote:
15s is a ballpark (you acknowledged as much)
It's a ballpark of the actual number (13 seconds) plus/minus a two second error margin from server tick timings. So: 15 seconds. Or even as low as 11.

…that would give us 630 DPS by the way.

Quote:
You wouldn't have to do the manufacturing if you stopped bumping all the freighters; just saying.
You are cluless about what the phrase signifies, just saying. So: a bit over 1M per hull minimum; closer to 1.4 if you buy in bulk.
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#193 - 2013-07-01 14:56:52 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Either way, someone screwed up… multiple times… on that one, or it wouldn't have lasted for 60 minutes.

I said it must have been us fluffing it stop rubbing it in Cry

S Byerley wrote:
Oh, I expected actual instances where the ruling was completely in the bumper's favor. That's usually what someone means when they say precedent.

Incidentally, your quotes still don't mention ganking or holding someone for a prolonged period of time.

I'm not allowed to discuss communication with CCP, but needless to say we do this a lot, and get people like you clogging up the petition system crying about it. I have no idea why since the rules say it's allowable.

Whilst i am addresing you, I will keenly note that you avoided my thought experiment, where I showed you a scenario that was clear griefing to a human observer, and indistinguishable from allowable behaviour to a machine.

Care to actually have a go at that (post 105) or are you going to keep claiming it's possible whilst ignoring clear stated evidence it's not?

Actually, to save you typing I wrote your reply for you:

"No, it is not possible for a computer to accurately determine intent by data mining. I am measurably wrong in every way a person can be, as I invented the entire scenario to try to support a position that is untenable"

If you make me write out more replies for you I will add more smug.

I'm really good at being smug.

You're still missing the point anyway - you're disagreeing with the rules as posted which doesn't mean any change in enforcing those rules would lead to any different outcomes, unless you change the rules.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#194 - 2013-07-01 14:59:05 UTC
I love how a 3 month old 'Ace' player and the OP both can't accept bumping isn't an exploit even when presented with very comprehensive statements (proof) from CCP saying it isn't.

Please QQ moar. My bucket has not runneth over quite yet.

In EVE, something is not an exploit until or unless CCP says so. When they say specifically something isn't an exploit, no matter how much word wrangling you do, or how convoluted a scenario you can devise to try to prove your position, CCP decides, and if you don't want to accept it, GTFO and GBTW.

I would suggest the OP petition his loss and be fully prepared for CCP's answer.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#195 - 2013-07-01 15:01:06 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Either way, someone screwed up… multiple times… on that one, or it wouldn't have lasted for 60 minutes.

I said it must have been us fluffing it stop rubbing it in Cry
Oh there, there. I'm merely saying that he probably helped you. You don't have to take the whole burden like that. Lol
Ban Bindy
Bindy Brothers Pottery Association
True Reign
#196 - 2013-07-01 15:08:09 UTC
Desperation to win a debate that really, as many of you have said, is CCP's to decide. You're all actually arguing for what you want to be true rather than what's true. CCP has changed its mind about exploits in the past. CCP has bowed to pressure from players at times also. The only answer is to petition and find out, which is really all anybody needed to say. When you get to the point that you're claiming to have the right point of view about something that's somebody else's judgment call - CCP's in this case - then you're really arguing for your point of view, not for the facts.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#197 - 2013-07-01 15:15:11 UTC
Freighters need a nice big HP buff or some mid lows. Having a 2 billion isk ship with its hold unable to haul more than a billion or so because of close to no risk / no skill ganks is pretty aweful design.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

S Byerley
#198 - 2013-07-01 15:15:32 UTC
Tippia wrote:
So: how do you propose that the data mining should uncover hitherto unknown facts about the bumper and bumpee that makes it a clear case of non-harassment even though they've been running into each other constantly for months?

The whole point of data mining is that it reveals trends and relations that aren't obvious to a silly fleshsack like myself. I can tell you from personal experience/literature that it's not hard to pull out 95%+ accuracy in similar applications.

Tippia wrote:
You mean the part where the first squad was faced with on-grid CONCORD and died immediately? No, that doesn't account for a 70% reduction of HP (which over an hour would be even less due to regen).[/quote]

54% reduction in EHP you mean, which is pretty well verified by the other video as far as I can tell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNZk7jBG7Ww

Tippia wrote:
It's a ballpark of the actual number (13 seconds) plus/minus a two second error margin from server tick timings. So: 15 seconds. Or even as low as 11.

…that would give us 630 DPS by the way.

Your own blog(as well as other sources) says otherwise: http://blog.beyondreality.se/TTK-CONCORD#tldr

Tippi wrote:
You are cluless about what the phrase signifies, just saying. So: a bit over 1M per hull minimum; closer to 1.4 if you buy in bulk.

You evidently didn't get the joke.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#199 - 2013-07-01 15:25:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
S Byerley wrote:
The whole point of data mining is that it reveals trends and relations that aren't obvious to a silly fleshsack like myself. I can tell you from personal experience/literature that it's not hard to pull out 95%+ accuracy in similar applications.
…and the whole counterpoint is that it misses out on the part that lets humans do what humans do: investigating and judging close calls.

Quote:
54% reduction in EHP you mean
No, I mean 70% reduction, because that's what's required for the wildly inaccurate HP number on the killmail to be correct. In short, the number on the killmail is — as always — unreliable in preeeeetty much every way. Oh, and the gankers still need the 500 DPS because no-one plans on having to do it in two runs. If you want to calculate it that way, then congratulations, the price just went up to 10–20M per ganker. We're getting further and further away from the initially (incorrectly) estimated cost of 1M.

Quote:
Your own blog(as well as other sources) says otherwise:
You mean the table that says 7 seconds for a 0.8 + 6 seconds for off-grid CONCORD ±1 for each event due to sync-to-tick errors? 7+6±2 = 11–15.

Quote:
You evidently didn't get the joke.
You evidently didn't get the meaning of what I said. Wilful ignorance is not humorous.
S Byerley
#200 - 2013-07-01 15:27:01 UTC
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Care to actually have a go at that (post 105) or are you going to keep claiming it's possible whilst ignoring clear stated evidence it's not?

Post 105 is you telling Ace off. While I can't really fault you for that, it doesn't seem relevant.

Quote:
You're still missing the point anyway - you're disagreeing with the rules as posted which doesn't mean any change in enforcing those rules would lead to any different outcomes, unless you change the rules.

I'm not really missing the point, I've just indulged people who misread my tone with a few tangents.

I'm also not "disagreeing with the rules" (though the "rules" were outlined in a very different context and it's anyone's guess what a GM will/won't consider harassment). I do think that this case shows that the mechanics have been stretch a little far beyond their intended limitations and that some tweaks would be to the benefit of the community as a whole.