These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Way over the line

First post First post
Author
BoSau Hotim
Uitraan Diversified Holdings Incorporated
#81 - 2013-06-30 16:07:47 UTC  |  Edited by: BoSau Hotim
Stigman Zuwadza wrote:
BoSau Hotim wrote:
I do stuff that annoys and angers others in the game, Many players do stuff that annoy and anger others in the game.

And I'm sure I do things that irritate other players.

The difference being we're not making declarations about our health and how because of our health situation we should be given special precedence when playing.

The OP has made claims that they have had several interactions with CCP, CCP have acted on those interactions even if their action was a non-action.

The OP is dissatisfied with those CCP interactions and has brought the situation to the forums.

To me it seems as though the OP is experiencing a lot of negative outcomes, this could be a potential trigger for a heightened bout of depression. The OP needs protecting from this.

Any player actions are secondary in this matter, the source of all the angst is coming from the OP, CCP's first response should be to deal with the source, then explore the secondary matter of any comments made by players.

Fly safe. o7

it's not CCP's place to parent this person, nor protect them as you stated above. They are game developers not psychiatrists and doctors.

You as a poster can of course recommend to the OP a course of action as they have opened up this subject themselves. But CCP would actually be unwise to intervene in this person's personal life nor take any action against them and ban them because they state that they suffer from bouts of depression. If the post was of a different nature and was more threatening to harm themselves or do harm I am sure CCP has protocol to handle it.

The case here is for CCP to read OP's petition and act or not act based on CCP's own game rules. That is all.

I'm not a carebear... I'm a SPACE BARBIE!  Now... where's Ken?

ctx2007
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#82 - 2013-06-30 16:43:15 UTC
make an alt on your account and use it and don't tell anyone your problems, assholes live on the net.
Don't let this get you down, enjoy your game its what eves about playing the game, don't tell people your problems.

I have problems but its my business, good luck and enjoy the game Big smile

You only realise you life has been a waste of time, when you wake up dead.

BadAssMcKill
Aliastra
#83 - 2013-06-30 16:49:14 UTC
What have you done to make people mad at you out of curiosity (apart from badposting)
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#84 - 2013-06-30 16:59:39 UTC
BoSau Hotim wrote:
it's not CCP's place to parent this person, nor protect them as you stated above. They are game developers not psychiatrists and doctors.

And at the same time they don't need to have a petition system either. Nor intervene on anything.

Do you know why they do intervene? They couldn't operate a company otherwise. No carrier would allow them to operate.

There's standards that you have to accept to do things in society, and it's beyond you to control. Do you know why it's like that? It's because without it chaos would rule.

This is why governments aren't ruled by kids, as they're clueless. Can't think beyond the minute. Can't look past what's kewl.

It behooves any company that cares about their product and it's perception of it's product outside it's own user base to do something about harassment.

Are you paying attention to the news? Like what happened to Paula Dean? She's losing every contract for simply using the "N' word. PC gone wild? Maybe. But that's what businesses do to remove themselves from the controversy, as it's bad for business. Games are a business, and they don't need the flak. They don't need it because if politics has their way, they can be regulated if they don't self-police.

See?

So, yeah, the devs may not be MDs or Ph.Ds, but they're businessmen. In business it's about making a profit. You're not going to have much of it if someone gets hurt and the news reports it, especially a game that doesn't have a buffer of zillions of subs to withstand the firestorm and public scrutiny.

Think.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Abon
Pandorum Research Incorporated
#85 - 2013-06-30 17:02:16 UTC
Do not worry guys OP already called the cyber police as stated in his other thread...Roll
Robert Saint
The Grumpy Dogs
#86 - 2013-06-30 17:10:37 UTC
ctx2007 wrote:
make an alt on your account and use it and don't tell anyone your problems, assholes live on the net.
Don't let this get you down, enjoy your game its what eves about playing the game, don't tell people your problems.

I have problems but its my business, good luck and enjoy the game Big smile

i agree with this, but if people hang out together long enough they start feeling like a community. People share in groups... I know it's called "Just a Game", but really no MMO is just a game, not when they allow chat.

I am totally good with people sharing stuff, it helps balance out the confusion of the "fake Personality thing"... every once in a while we all need to be reminded we're actually typing to a person who might not get it.
Miilla
Hulkageddon Orphanage
#87 - 2013-06-30 17:12:06 UTC
Ranting is not permitted on the forum.
BoSau Hotim
Uitraan Diversified Holdings Incorporated
#88 - 2013-06-30 17:19:34 UTC  |  Edited by: BoSau Hotim
Ace Uoweme wrote:
BoSau Hotim wrote:

And at the same time they don't need to have a petition system either. Nor intervene on anything.

Do you know why they do intervene? They couldn't operate a company otherwise. No carrier would allow them to operate.

There's standards that you have to accept to do things in society, and it's beyond you to control. Do you know why it's like that? It's because without it chaos would rule.

This is why governments aren't ruled by kids, as they're clueless. Can't think beyond the minute. Can't look past what's kewl.

It behooves any company that cares about their product and it's perception of it's product outside it's own user base to do something about harassment.

Are you paying attention to the news? Like what happened to Paula Dean? She's losing every contract for simply using the "N' word. PC gone wild? Maybe. But that's what businesses do to remove themselves from the controversy, as it's bad for business. Games are a business, and they don't need the flak. They don't need it because if politics has their way, they can be regulated if they don't self-police.

See?

So, yeah, the devs may not be MDs or Ph.Ds, but they're businessmen. In business it's about making a profit. You're not going to have much of it if someone gets hurt and the news reports it, especially a game that doesn't have a buffer of zillions of subs to withstand the firestorm and public scrutiny.

Think.

READ. I never said for them not to do anything about the harrassment OP was getting. READ.

READ. Are you paying attention to what was written? It's not CCP'S place to BAN OP because she has bouts with depression. That is what another poster suggested..... READ before you answer someone's post and talk nonsense.

THEN THINK AGAIN.

I'm not a carebear... I'm a SPACE BARBIE!  Now... where's Ken?

Kijo Rikki
Killboard Padding Services
#89 - 2013-06-30 17:30:15 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
BoSau Hotim wrote:

See?

Think.

Knowing the bulk of the playerbase mentality, I doubt they would give a crap about a firestorm and public scrutiny. I mean, this is a company that took one of the most prick moves you can make in the game and advertised it as a feature.

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Mag's
Azn Empire
#90 - 2013-06-30 17:34:53 UTC
Yummy Yummy Yummy wrote:
I know I am not liked in eve and I do stuff that annoys and angers others in the game , but its a GAME.

I had today again for the 3rd time this month someone tell me to Kill myself in rl even describing how they wanted me to do it.

I just don't understand how some people can value a human life as so little, trying to push someone to kill themselves

I did the usual petition but im worried the GM's are not taking it seriously.

I just wanted to say before you think its funny to push someone to so something horrible to others or themselves , how would you feel if they actually did follow through with it and there blood was on your hands?

To be clear I suffer from depression, but I am Not suicidal

That said, after being told to kill myself it gets me sick to my stomach.

I am a part of a mental health community that has people far worse off then me which I have seen do desperate things when pushed into it.

I just ask you think of the repercussions beforehand before you chose the words you use to someone, ingame or out.
We get mails from people all the time, questioning our morals. These mails often include ways we can copulate with others and ourselves, as well as DIAF in RL. The best way to approach such things is to laugh at them. I just can't take them seriously tbh, way too ironic.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Dr NAthan
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#91 - 2013-06-30 17:51:11 UTC
Tiber Ibis wrote:
Don't take it seriously, some eve players are simply idiots who wouldn't survive socially in the real world. Petition it and let them enjoy their bans.

This, stuff like that is just sad, ignore them, the worse part about it is they are probably adults.

Tiber Ibis - That avatar is +1
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#92 - 2013-06-30 18:17:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Uoweme
Kijo Rikki wrote:
Knowing the bulk of the playerbase mentality, I doubt they would give a crap about a firestorm and public scrutiny. I mean, this is a company that took one of the most prick moves you can make in the game and advertised it as a feature.

Players probably don't care, but if the apathy is that high, when their drug is removed they'll learn what DTs are about.

Every game company does that, too. We all remember what company/game did what -- EQII's Fighter 2.0 changes to WoW's 4.0.1 healing changes. Bonehead moves for the idea, changed the game forever (and for the worse).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Kijo Rikki
#93 - 2013-06-30 19:12:37 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Kijo Rikki wrote:

Players probably don't care, but if the apathy is that high, when their drug is removed they'll learn what DTs are about.

Every game company does that, too. We all remember what company/game did what -- EQII's Fighter 2.0 changes to WoW's 4.0.1 healing changes. Bonehead moves for the idea, changed the game forever (and for the worse).

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my thought process so let me help: Public scrutiny and ensuing firestorms are nothing but just that. Most businesses don't like it because it makes current and potential customers shy away from their product, but I don't believe the majority of people who play eve will give a crap and I think CCP is aware of that. If I'm not mistaken the slogan is HTFU, adapt or die, can I have your stuff etc.

This is a harsh community. They won't care if the media is having a hissy fit over some random person who is being harassed in a game that is notorious for being harsh and uncaring.

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I advertisement following the implosion of BoB & Goonswarm from the inside. Only game I know of that would actively advertise this method of gameplay as a feature. If you can think of one, name it. The WoW 4.0.1 healing changes were just homogenization of the healing class and is a long standing goal of Activision/Blizzard to make the game accessible to the lowest common denominator, and is definitely not what I was talking about.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#94 - 2013-06-30 19:28:40 UTC
Kijo Rikki wrote:
This is a harsh community.

It's a bunch of 15 year-olds trying to act big (or 50 year-olds who never grown up living in mom's basement that needs an identity).

Anyone trying to use a game to be some actual gangster has some serious issues in reality. It's okay to role-play, but you're serious about being tough in a game, and that's crazy.

When smack is real, it's time to see a shrink.

Kijo Rikki
#95 - 2013-06-30 19:34:59 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Kijo Rikki wrote:
This is a harsh community.

It's a bunch of 15 year-olds trying to act big (or 50 year-olds who never grown up living in mom's basement that needs an identity).

Anyone trying to use a game to be some actual gangster has some serious issues in reality. It's okay to role-play, but you're serious about being tough in a game, and that's crazy.

When smack is real, it's time to see a shrink.

Harsh and gangster are not the same. This community simply has little to no apathy for people who whine or try to make themselves out to be a victim. It is entirely possible the game is full of sociopaths, that doesn't make them gangster or make them tough talking 15 year olds or neckbeards living in their mom's basement.

Josef Djugashvilis
#96 - 2013-06-30 19:46:18 UTC
Yummy Yummy Yummy wrote:
I know I am not liked in eve and I do stuff that annoys and angers others in the game , but its a GAME.

I had today again for the 3rd time this month someone tell me to Kill myself in rl even describing how they wanted me to do it.

I just don't understand how some people can value a human life as so little, trying to push someone to kill themselves

I did the usual petition but im worried the GM's are not taking it seriously.

I just wanted to say before you think its funny to push someone to so something horrible to others or themselves , how would you feel if they actually did follow through with it and there blood was on your hands?

To be clear I suffer from depression, but I am Not suicidal

That said, after being told to kill myself it gets me sick to my stomach.

I am a part of a mental health community that has people far worse off then me which I have seen do desperate things when pushed into it.

I just ask you think of the repercussions beforehand before you chose the words you use to someone, ingame or out.

Who are you?

This is not a signature.

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#97 - 2013-06-30 19:49:17 UTC
I wanted to stay the hell away from this cancerous thread, but here are some more background infos for your reading pleasure:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3181194

tl;dr translation: he scammed someone for 1.38 B.

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Xen Solarus
Furious Destruction and Salvage
#98 - 2013-06-30 19:53:30 UTC
Most of the time they're not looking for you to actually kill yourself (or whatever they happen to be saying), but more to get a reaction that they can bask in and enjoy. My advice? Don't give it to them.

Unfortunately OP, you have given them the response they were looking for, so nevermind. A lesson learned for the next time some troll-scum starts talking crap.

Post with your main, like a BOSS!

And no, i don't live in highsec.  As if that would make your opinion any less wrong.  

I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#99 - 2013-06-30 19:56:09 UTC
Who cares? People kill themselves all the time. No loss. If they wanna off themselves, then let them do it. It's their choice. Telling someone to kill themselves in real life isn't gonna really make a difference whether or not someone is going to do it. I mean, if they end up doing it, then that probably just meant they were gonna do it anyway, and was looking for someone else to blame for their problems.

Coming to the forum and whining about this is kind of pathetic. You should expect to be told this crap if you are griefing people. You know... after all, Eve is real, and people take it serious. And if it hurts your feelings when someone says this stuff to you, then stop doing what you are doing if you don't have the balls to handle it. Cry baby.
Tiber Ibis
The Paratwa Ka
#100 - 2013-06-30 20:00:28 UTC
Stigman Zuwadza wrote:
BoSau Hotim wrote:
I do stuff that annoys and angers others in the game, Many players do stuff that annoy and anger others in the game.

And I'm sure I do things that irritate other players.

The difference being we're not making declarations about our health and how because of our health situation we should be given special precedence when playing.

The OP has made claims that they have had several interactions with CCP, CCP have acted on those interactions even if their action was a non-action.

The OP is dissatisfied with those CCP interactions and has brought the situation to the forums.

To me it seems as though the OP is experiencing a lot of negative outcomes, this could be a potential trigger for a heightened bout of depression. The OP needs protecting from this.

Any player actions are secondary in this matter, the source of all the angst is coming from the OP, CCP's first response should be to deal with the source, then explore the secondary matter of any comments made by players.

Fly safe. o7

This is a poor argument here. The OP is doing nothing to break the rules laid out by CCP, so CCP have no reason to investigate or ban him. Yet you argue that because the OPs actions are causing someone else to break the rules that the OP should be banned for that. Do you realise how ridiculous your argument sounds?