These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A lesson on how to ruin your character in a few seconds

Author
Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#41 - 2013-06-19 21:41:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Lucy Ferrr
I don't know if to be happy or sad after reading this story. ECM burst on Perimeter /Jita gate brings me great joy. A noob getting royally screwed due to server-side hardware limitations and/or poor universe planning makes me sad. If the servers are unable to handle a massive trade hub like Jita, then something should be done with universe design to prevent the creation of one primary trading hub. What comes to mind is adding a small area of lowsec between all the racial empires, so one could not get between Jita, Amarr, Rens, or Dodixi without passing at least 2 systems of low-sec. Jita would get a lot less traffic and the other minor hubs would become major hubs on the same level as the new smaller jita. Otherwise CCP needs to reinforce the hell outta the node that runs Jita. I have been resub'ed for less than 24 hours and have been locked out of Jita on 3 different occasions, once for nearly 45min.

Edit: BTW op your character is not ruined, in fact it has now been improved. A -5 sec status is a badge of honor and should be worn as such. Just learn some combat skills, and rock that flashy red with pride.
Catherine Endashi
Doomheim
#42 - 2013-06-19 23:15:13 UTC
OP if you keep this attitude, you will experience the best of this game. One day you will probably play a major role be it in lowsec or null Blink
Kagura Nikon
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#43 - 2013-06-20 12:07:55 UTC
Look on the bright side.. in 5 seconds you learned more than most players learn in 1 year.

"If brute force does not solve your problem....  then you are  surely not using enough!"

Lara Dantreb
Reisende des Schwarzschild Grenze
#44 - 2013-06-20 13:42:09 UTC
Interesting reading that made me smile and remember my early (and very hard) days in EVE.

I tried the ECM burst in populated hisec gate too and the smartbombs aswell. I think I know how you feel Smile, even if killrights were not implemented yet when I did that mistake.

You could head back to lowsec/nullsec for a while and train up your navigation/cloak skills ? Or do some belt rats hunting to fix your security status.

Ultimately, you have a very good mind, and it's nice that you tell your mishap here. I wish you good luck !

---   Buying T2 ship bpos since 2005  ---

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#45 - 2013-06-26 08:40:57 UTC
*slowclap*

That was one bittersweet story! But like most people I agree, your character is hardly ruined. -5.3 is only 0.39 away from getting out of criminal status. You could use the ISK donated to you, and your experience with gatecamps, to escape hisec. You can rat back the sec stat to -4.9 in lowsec quite fast.
Nazowa
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2013-06-26 10:53:38 UTC
Sounds like you are having fun. Don't worry about it. Cool
Anna Djan
Banana Corp
#47 - 2013-06-26 15:49:51 UTC
I like your style. Come join us as a permanent low sec resident \o/
Linkdead
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-06-26 16:03:11 UTC
Thanks for posting! I enjoyed the story very much.
Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#49 - 2013-06-29 22:37:17 UTC
Good story, everybody has at some time done something stupid that has cost them just as dearly, it's part of the learning curve, and separates true eve players from those in other mmos. Also there's a permanent place for you in our alliance if you are interested.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Joan Greywind
The Lazy Crabs
#50 - 2013-06-30 04:43:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Joan Greywind
"A cold, harsh universe".

It was a nice read, but a few things bothered me:

1- So you read every guide and every video about hauling, and noone ever mentioned don't be at war??? I can understand the jita gate locked out thing (relatively new at its current frequency), but I guess mistakes happen.

2- I looked over your killmail (my leet investigative skills finally come in handy), linked here for convenience http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=18146043, it seems there wasn't 100's of reds, and actually only one. It seems you died from concord. Now I don't know if you were actually at war (it seems you have a lot of scuffles with that particular corp, but I don't know how to check for wards outisde the eve client, yes I am wasting time at work), but maybe those reds you saw weren't actually war targets, but actually gankers ganking someone else. You activated your eccm and died because you are now suspect. Now that is definitely a better story. At the end of the day the threat seems a little bit exaggerated.

3- It seems at the end there, (tinfoil hats on) you were actually, albeit subtly, asking for a handout. Might be just my untrusting nature (playing EVE doesn't make it better).

4- You live in lowsec, but your killboard is devoid of any actual kills.

5- You are new and everything, and it is nice when new players don't stay in the depressing bosoms of highsec, but you broke the cardinal rule of EVE, "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose". You did and now you are broke.

For all intents and purposes, this at least earns the official stamp of approval, "working as intended".
Aeana K
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2013-06-30 11:29:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Aeana K
Joan Greywind wrote:
"A cold, harsh universe".

It was a nice read, but a few things bothered me:

1- So you read every guide and every video about hauling, and noone ever mentioned don't be at war??? I can understand the jita gate locked out thing (relatively new at its current frequency), but I guess mistakes happen.

2- I looked over your killmail (my leet investigative skills finally come in handy), linked here for convenience http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=18146043, it seems there wasn't 100's of reds, and actually only one. It seems you died from concord. Now I don't know if you were actually at war (it seems you have a lot of scuffles with that particular corp, but I don't know how to check for wards outisde the eve client, yes I am wasting time at work), but maybe those reds you saw weren't actually war targets, but actually gankers ganking someone else. You activated your eccm and died because you are now suspect. Now that is definitely a better story. At the end of the day the threat seems a little bit exaggerated.

3- It seems at the end there, (tinfoil hats on) you were actually, albeit subtly, asking for a handout. Might be just my untrusting nature (playing EVE doesn't make it better).

4- You live in lowsec, but your killboard is devoid of any actual kills.

5- You are new and everything, and it is nice when new players don't stay in the depressing bosoms of highsec, but you broke the cardinal rule of EVE, "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose". You did and now you are broke.

For all intents and purposes, this at least earns the official stamp of approval, "working as intended".

hey m8!

1. As a new player, didn't know exactly what a war is. I had read it, and because of that I said "I forgot to leave my corp".

2. There were many. One locked me fast and started shooting. I was in brave newbies and I noticed that every combat corp declares wars on them and hunt them in hi sec for easy kills. Examine please the player who killed me. He has many brave newbies easy kills in high sec at the same period, some (if I can recall) were newbie miners in asteroid belts.

3. I dint ask for ISK if you say that. I had some donations (140m ISK), but I dont think I ever asked for that.

4. I live most of my time in low sec, in Egbinger 0.1. For low sec, it is quite peaceful place, with very good planets for PI. Go there and check my words. I have instants in almost all the system around. I usually fly a nano-slasher or my viator, so I have escaped many times from hostile situations. I am skilling in PvP, but I need a month or so to try it out there.

5. true,

I know you dont trust. But I wrote down about my stupidity, and that was all.
Lybra
Suddenly Spaceless
#52 - 2013-07-01 09:52:04 UTC
Props to you mate. Your tale is what "EVE is real" is all about. Heck, your character now has an even more interesting background story than mine. Keep at it.
Bruce Ornulf
Space Wizards.
Tactical Narcotics Team
#53 - 2013-07-07 23:36:06 UTC
Great story - one of the few new players these days that takes things like it's just a game... Too many people throw hissy fits at this kind of thing *sigh*

Kudos to you my friend, all I can suggest is trying out low or nullsec. There are plenty of nullsec trainer corps that will accept new players into it, if you want to keep up PI you can, access to as much PvP as you like, and finally the lovely anoms and belt rats, so you can freely move back to highsec.

Good luck :)
Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#54 - 2013-07-11 12:14:12 UTC
Had too tag it as a fav. The story is just brilliant. Ever find yourself in a worm hole hit me up. My hole's static is in low sec.

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

Mizhir
Devara Biotech
#55 - 2013-07-11 16:43:10 UTC
Hilarious story. Thanks for sharing it.

ISK can easily be earned again, but good lessons are harder to get. I hope you will find something new in the game. And who knows, maybe you will like it more.

❤️️💛💚💙💜

Alpheias
Tactical Farmers.
Tactical Farmers
#56 - 2013-07-11 16:44:02 UTC
LOL! Props for taking it like a boss too.

Agent of Chaos, Sower of Discord.

Don't talk to me unless you are IQ verified and certified with three references from non-family members. Please have your certificate of authenticity on hand.

Morwen Lagann
Tyrathlion Interstellar
#57 - 2013-07-11 17:53:14 UTC
EVE needs more new players like you, Aeana. You've got the perfect attitude for this game.

Morwen Lagann

CEO, Tyrathlion Interstellar

Coordinator, Arataka Research Consortium

Owner, The Golden Masque

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2013-07-11 18:07:02 UTC
The ECM burst thing reminds me of that youtube video where some guys tricked a dude into setting off a disco battleship, then they warped in a ton of pods and took his sec status from 5 to -10 (or something like that). Can't remember who that was. Does anyone have the link to the video? That was freakin' hillarious.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#59 - 2013-07-11 20:06:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
The ECM burst thing reminds me of that youtube video where some guys tricked a dude into setting off a disco battleship, then they warped in a ton of pods and took his sec status from 5 to -10 (or something like that). Can't remember who that was. Does anyone have the link to the video? That was freakin' hillarious.

I believe it was Socratic, the infamous arse that liked to pick on Epic Arc runners, that got tricked into discoing multiple pods. He came to the attention of Zedric Cayne and the IEEE, it's a shame Zedric no longer plays.

Great story OP, the kill rights expire 30 days after you incurred them if that helps.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#60 - 2013-07-11 20:47:51 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:

I believe it was Socratic, the infamous arse that liked to pick on Epic Arc runners, that got tricked into discoing multiple pods. He came to the attention of Zedric Cayne and the IEEE, it's a shame he no longer plays.

Great story OP, the kill rights expire 30 days after you incurred them if that helps.

Oh yes.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUBymhbrzw thanks for the info.. watched it again.. just as funny as the first time.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."