These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Goonhate under the magnifying glass

First post
Author
Khanh'rhh
Sparkle Motion.
#101 - 2013-06-27 21:50:02 UTC
Korah Arnelle wrote:
Khanh'rhh wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Proletariat Tingtango wrote:
I didn't pay. Someone else bought me an account as a gift.


There went the idea of a $10 fee as a method of controlling spam...

But interesting intelligence in how easy it's to infiltrate the organization though.

There's no "organisation" - it's a forum that anyone is free to join. SomethingAwful is not a website run by or for people who play Eve - in fact the overwhelming majority of goons don't play the game find eve players quite insufferable which is something we can all relate to P


But have to admit that W-HAT (SL SA folks) were absolute auties that no one liked. Even my friend who was a member of SA and came to W-HAT just couldn't stand them.

Pretty sure any and all interest in SL is by definition a descriptor for autism.

Also, if you've never trolled that player user base, then you're missing out.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." -Soviet infantry manual,

knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#102 - 2013-06-27 21:59:36 UTC  |  Edited by: knobber Jobbler
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Silvetica Dian wrote:
Why would anyone who plays EvE which is a game based around player created content hate a group that is known for providing large amounts of player content, stories and examples of emergent gameplay.


Because EvE suffers from a syndrome know especially with the EQ/EQII franchise: where only a couple raid guilds rule, and they controlled the economy and access to content.

WoW doesn't have that problem as no 1 guild can control the game; the economy or access. They can be powerful and have the best raiders, but they don't dictate content or access.

EvE isn't the sandbox game folks keep wanting to believe, it suffers from some really old problems seen in older MMOs. It's allowed as those who developed EvE consider it's fine, as that was the status quo game play.


Never not post when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess the propaganda is working though.
Jayem See
Perkone
Caldari State
#103 - 2013-06-27 22:07:59 UTC
Well. As much as I am trying to give a shite. I just can't.

It might affect market prices, or cause some ignorant people to blown up. or some envious people to rage; I don't really care.

No hate here. No sympathy either.

They just are. Fight them, kiss them, do a reacharound, join them - at the end of the day, are YOU enjoying YOUR game?

I love the drama it creates so I ought to thank them for that.

For the people who take the time to get annoyed by it......wrong game.

Aaaaaaand relax.

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#104 - 2013-06-27 22:30:30 UTC
Quote:
Went to WoW and did everything I could to fight for access


You've been caught. Finally we get to the point where all of this "everyone should be nice" populist nonsense comes from. You got burned in EQ2. So you went to WoW, where you've done your best to fight for "access". Cute.

You are a pubbie. You are a freaking casual who thinks that somehow your $15 a month entitles you to get everything that the players who are actually good at the game and try hard get. You think that you get to have your ego stroked by the devs, and that you get to play on the same level as people who actually are successful at the game.

You're wrong.

And in the end, you are just another "have-not", hating on the "haves".

...

Oh, and if you are offended by "waffe", then you are out and out a racist. It means "weapon". Your ignorance is what's really offensive here.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Setaceous
Nexus Prima
#105 - 2013-06-27 22:35:54 UTC
knobber Jobbler wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Silvetica Dian wrote:
Why would anyone who plays EvE which is a game based around player created content hate a group that is known for providing large amounts of player content, stories and examples of emergent gameplay.


Because EvE suffers from a syndrome know especially with the EQ/EQII franchise: where only a couple raid guilds rule, and they controlled the economy and access to content.

WoW doesn't have that problem as no 1 guild can control the game; the economy or access. They can be powerful and have the best raiders, but they don't dictate content or access.

EvE isn't the sandbox game folks keep wanting to believe, it suffers from some really old problems seen in older MMOs. It's allowed as those who developed EvE consider it's fine, as that was the status quo game play.


Never not post when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess the propaganda is working though.

Indeed. Most of the so-called "haters" would have never even seen a Goon (or someone from Test) and are simply parroting what everyone else says, because they like to fit in.

Having never been to Null myself ,I have never seen a Goon or a Test pilot (that I know of), and therefore I find myself neither liking nor disliking them.

Also; on the WoW servers it is possible for a single large guild (or very "rich" person) to control the entire economy of a server, but they can never control access to content.
Bob Blunts
#106 - 2013-06-28 03:46:46 UTC
For starters Ace, seriously, enough with the WoW shtick. We get it. You ******* love World of Warcraft. We don't. Hence why we play a game that requires a brain instead. For the love of God, please stop shitting up every thread in GD with that nonsense. Thanks.

That being said, I like the Goons as an entity. Sure they have members who are d***bags, what alliance doesnt. As a group though, they do the evil empire thing very well and bring bucketloads of real, player made content to all parts of Eve. For the most part they are some of the classier posters on Eve-O, which makes it a little easier on my brain when perusing the forums at lunch.

I'd take the conversation of a goon any day of the week over that of a hi-sec miner/whiner or TESTicle.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#107 - 2013-06-28 04:07:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Uoweme
knobber Jobbler wrote:
Never not post when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess the propaganda is working though.


Put a fork in it, Francis. You don't know what I know. But I do know EvE resembles EQII's raid guild superiority to the "T", right down to how it tries to manipulate the market.

No one told me anything about you. All I know about you fools is...

1. How you act.
2. How you present yourself.
3. What you have done.
4. What you have exploited.

And I don't like any of it.

EvE allows you to do the things you do, but EvE also allows you to be judged for it.

Don't like the "propaganda", don't do the things you do. It's that simple.

No one but you picked your PR disaster name, either. You really want to be hated, and there's no one to blame for it but YOU.

Grow up and take responsibility, not defer it like the typical brain dead mouthbreathing PvPer.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Setaceous
Nexus Prima
#108 - 2013-06-28 04:07:56 UTC
Bob Blunts wrote:
For starters Ace, seriously, enough with the WoW shtick. We get it. You ******* love World of Warcraft. We don't. Hence why we play a game that requires a brain instead. For the love of God, please stop shitting up every thread in GD with that nonsense. Thanks.

That being said, I like the Goons as an entity. Sure they have members who are d***bags, what alliance doesnt. As a group though, they do the evil empire thing very well and bring bucketloads of real, player made content to all parts of Eve. For the most part they are some of the classier posters on Eve-O, which makes it a little easier on my brain when perusing the forums at lunch.

I'd take the conversation of a goon any day of the week over that of a hi-sec miner/whiner or TESTicle.

To be fair, high sec mission running and mining require almost zero thought Blink
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#109 - 2013-06-28 04:11:33 UTC
Setaceous wrote:
To be fair, high sec mission running and mining require almost zero thought Blink


Nor does blob fleet wars dictated by IsBox.

At least there's a chance the high sec mission runner and miner are actually human.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Alavaria Fera
Imperial Shipment
#110 - 2013-06-28 05:11:44 UTC
Bob Blunts wrote:
For starters Ace, seriously, enough with the WoW shtick. We get it. You ******* love World of Warcraft. We don't. Hence why we play a game that requires a brain instead. For the love of God, please stop shitting up every thread in GD with that nonsense. Thanks.

Brings new perspective to :

Go back to World of Warcraft.


GB2wow

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Xolve
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#111 - 2013-06-28 05:54:02 UTC
Charles the Miner wrote:
Goons are great content.

They would be fantastic content if CCP ever got their thumbs out and implemented Block [Corp] and Block [Alliance] Lol


You can do that, and have been able to for quite some time now.
Setaceous
Nexus Prima
#112 - 2013-06-28 07:22:07 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Bob Blunts wrote:
For starters Ace, seriously, enough with the WoW shtick. We get it. You ******* love World of Warcraft. We don't. Hence why we play a game that requires a brain instead. For the love of God, please stop shitting up every thread in GD with that nonsense. Thanks.

Brings new perspective to :

Go back to World of Warcraft.


GB2wow

Indeed. He should go back and join the biggest guild on Mal'Ganis........
Harry Forever
SpaceJunkys
#113 - 2013-06-28 07:40:08 UTC
Mark Androcius wrote:


we don't hate them, we just love shooting them... just feels natural you know
Josef Djugashvilis
#114 - 2013-06-28 07:45:43 UTC
This again.

Whenever I see another 'why do folk hate the goons' thread like this, I tend to assume it is started by a goon alt seeking yet more attention for the goons.

Sad really.

This is not a signature.

Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#115 - 2013-06-28 07:45:54 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
blah


You are a spiteful little turd aren't you? So much tinfoil and impotent rage.
Kijo Rikki
Perkone
Caldari State
#116 - 2013-06-28 07:56:56 UTC
I don't actually hate goons, but I hate hate hate HATE the name. Why does one of the most long standing and powerful alliances in the game have such a goofy sounding name? I can't help but think of the old fat lipped stupid mobsters in old bus bunny cartoons when I hear the name "goons". I wish they had a more serious name, something ominous....like The Mittani Cartel....yeah....that sounds passable.

There are things I genuinely dislike, and admittedly some of my misgivings are biased, and even based on assumptions and hearsay. Mittani himself gets a strike just for being a lawyer, and another just because I vaguely remember hearing that he was a jerk at fanfest a long time ago.

I once genuinely "hated" goons for how they managed to take down BoB. When I first started playing, BoB was the big alliance, and I was awed and impressed, I respected them and felt they did no wrong. So when one of the goons got ahold of one of the executor accounts (paid the guy off or actually bought the account, I don't really remember how the story goes), I felt that was one of the dirtiest things, and I instantly lost respect for them. I was even maliciously excited when I heard they suffered the same fate the following year, and I thought, "Serves them right" "payback is a female dog", etc etc.

Well, I was doing research one day, and come to find out BoB was quite dirty, even working with CCP devs who were in alliance to screw an old powerhouse alliance named Ascendant Frontier. So I have to take that into account and maybe give goons a few white knight point for taking down BoB.

But then there was the whole 4x4'ing through the sandbox thing. To me, that's just pure arrogance that flies in the face of CCP. Then there was Starfleet Dental over on STO and the brief stint in Black Prophecy. While I don't know any specifics or if there's even much truth to it, all these little things I've heard about just make me feel like GSF whole intent is to try to break games, find any and all exploits and see how much they can get away with. I think this is why I wouldn't be surprised if the alleged jabber and teamspeak DDoS attacks are actually true, and honestly I've thought some of the server crashes were heavily favored toward CFC...I doubt they have a thing to do with it but a part of me wonders.

However, I don't know anyone from GSF personally so aside from the mental image of the alliacne I have in my head I don't really have a reason to hate anyone. We all enjoy this game, why don't we learn to love one another and kill each other peacefully?

You make a valid point, good Sir or Madam. 

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2013-06-28 08:13:57 UTC
Moneta Curran wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:
blah


You are a spiteful little turd aren't you? So much tinfoil and impotent rage.


No more spiteful than someone who's upset over some words on the monitor.

Do you need a Kleenex too?

If you're going to dish out the ****, be ready to double dip into it yourself.

The only specialness in EvE is those who qualify for the Special Olympics, and if you need to win the internetz, I think you'll qualify for a gold medal like yesterday (for being the fools to spend $$$$$ to win in a freaking game, that doesn't pay you anything anyway for a living...unless RMT is going on...).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

knobber Jobbler
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#118 - 2013-06-28 08:34:54 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
You don't know what I know.


No much, clearly. Mission Accomplished.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#119 - 2013-06-28 08:57:06 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
knobber Jobbler wrote:
Never not post when you have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess the propaganda is working though.


Put a fork in it, Francis. You don't know what I know. But I do know EvE resembles EQII's raid guild superiority to the "T", right down to how it tries to manipulate the market.

No one told me anything about you. All I know about you fools is...

1. How you act.
2. How you present yourself.
3. What you have done.
4. What you have exploited.

And I don't like any of it.

EvE allows you to do the things you do, but EvE also allows you to be judged for it.

Don't like the "propaganda", don't do the things you do. It's that simple.

No one but you picked your PR disaster name, either. You really want to be hated, and there's no one to blame for it but YOU.

Grow up and take responsibility, not defer it like the typical brain dead mouthbreathing PvPer.


The rage runs deep with this one.

Tell me, just for giggles, what exploits we have done.
Kryss Darkdust
The Skulls
#120 - 2013-06-28 08:57:51 UTC
Eve online is a dynamic game in which success is measured by personal ambitions and goals. I think Goons are for the most part the player controlled resistance to other players success. Their virtual monopoly on certain key markets in the game, their abilty to bring large numbers to the field and win any fight they set out to win and their abuse of the plex that allows real world money to buy them success are all mostly bad for the health of the game. Problem is with large blocks like this fighting is that one replacingthe other doesnt really solve those problems. Eve would be a much better game if these blocks didnt exist and null was ruled by lots of smaller alliances. I dont see that happening anytime son and as such you just have to accept that there will always be large blocks in control of large sectors of the game. The best case scenario and the best thing for the health of the game are large block wars. Hopefully they are long , expnsive and demanding on these alliances. The longer they last the better it is for everyone else.

The reality of Eve is that, if you don't love it like it is today, you should probobly go ahead and unsub.