These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Cynoship nerf

Author
Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#61 - 2013-06-25 12:12:30 UTC
Mary Annabelle wrote:

IF you nerf hot dropping, and let's be clear on this, you are suggesting a nerf... then you kill most of the threat implied by hot dropping.
It is not disputed that true cloaking ships are ineffective combat threats. In the absence of hot dropping, the number one risk changes to: being webbed and pointed, since that is the only way to delay the target leaving before serious DPS can arrive.
THAT is why pve pilots would suddenly start fitting stabs, if this change were to happen.
They can shift their risk avoiding burden into this aspect, since it is not longer an absolute like their intel is.

People only really run from cloaky solo ships like this currently because they know its a hotdrop.
Hopelesshobo
Hoboland
#62 - 2013-06-25 13:46:45 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I'm not sure how you expect to get mass limits outside of titan/blops bridges. The cyno beacon is just a beacon; each jump-capable ship in a titan-less hotdrop opens its own private wormhole to that beacon.

You could argue that the jump bubble produced by a ship interferes with the frequency that the beacon operates at, causing it to destabilize. More mass=bigger bubble=more interference.

Lowering the average to make you look better since 2012.

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#63 - 2013-06-25 14:01:11 UTC
Hopelesshobo wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
I'm not sure how you expect to get mass limits outside of titan/blops bridges. The cyno beacon is just a beacon; each jump-capable ship in a titan-less hotdrop opens its own private wormhole to that beacon.

You could argue that the jump bubble produced by a ship interferes with the frequency that the beacon operates at, causing it to destabilize. More mass=bigger bubble=more interference.

I very strongly disagree with that notion, sir. Your ship's jump drive does, too.
Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#64 - 2013-06-25 14:20:23 UTC
Cynos should only be able to fit on select few ships. Nonsense even being able to throw one on a newb ship.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#65 - 2013-06-25 15:15:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Sergeant Acht Scultz
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Getting a little boring having solo ships wander around and hotdropping 10+ guys onto solo cruisers. I think if a ship lights a cyno it should not be able to commit any hostile actions. Should be easy enough to make the ship have a maximum lockable target value of 0 when a cynosural module is activated. Gives a few seconds to try and warp off before getting blobbed.
It wouldn't have much effect on dropping into an engaged fight either as things are already tackled, but it will slightly negate the guys that only want risk free kills and never take fleets on roams to hunt targets for fear of running into a similar sized fleet that spotted them. "Alright I'm going to lose. Cyno lit" is far too common.
Some guys will literally go roaming on unaffiliated alts looking for fights, and as soon as something geos wrong they will bridge in all their toons over in dps alpha ships and stomp up. Usually if there's a drop as soon as the fight engages the tackled ship is dead before other guys that were already in system even land meaning the best way to pad a killboard is to sit on a titan, and maybe play another game until it's time to play eve for a few minutes.

Hotdropping is the instant action button for eve where you have a group of guys humping a titan for hours on end and then bashing their heads against their keyboards for 10 seconds.

While dropping dozen ships over a cruiser might seem lemming tactics you've yet to see drop +10 supers/dreads for a simple command ship camping at the gate with aggression timer (yep I've seen this hilarious thing happen)

Blops thing it's quite easy to counter or at least not make a victim of yourself but when it happens it's the game, when you're using your little cruiser and popping cyno frigs at the station and shuttles or blockade runners at the gates you're not worth anything more than the hot droppers on you.

Just figure out by yourself a Blops has BC EHP AND DPS, if you're in a gank setup you might as well take out the PIlgrim/Arazy/Falcon/Rapier with less tank than your cruiser/bs or just raw ehp and for sure less DPS before they kill you because they will, just OH everything and rush the cyno ship if you get it you've simply ruined the game for several guys for a simplecruiser HD.

If you have guys at the station and those droppers are only in Blops make them undock with real BS/BC's, focus fire drop ECM drones on them points and kill them all, you'll be trading a couple cheapo ships vs several 1B+ hulls and believe me, they will avoid lurking around your system for a very long time.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#66 - 2013-06-25 17:11:49 UTC
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Hot dropping would still happen. You just feel the need to remove local so blobular 1v30 warfare can be perpetuated in another form. People will still gather intel on groups with the mountain of other tools available and go "oh hey look this group likes solo pvp/pve and only has 10 guys. Lets go bait and bridge today with a fleet of tier/tech 3's and logi."
Like I said it will just turn into large groups of people ganking with cloakies instead (there is no good solution to cloaking btw) and the lame no risk pvp ganks will continue. Can you even guess how many omfg wtf crap is this cloaky blob spam threads will pop up? There needs to be a defence to an offence.
Stop trying to force a large scale change to eve over a mechanic that is clearly broken.

What idiot would hot drop onto a target if they could achieve the same effect with less risk?

Seriously, if the target has no instant intel telling them who is in the system, they can just come in through the gates.

Got someone watching the gates? Then they have backup present in the system and can pop the dropper before serious dps can bridge over.
Local is also telling the dropper if the target has backup present, so your chances of counter-ambushing them become limited.

Without local: Opening a cyno near a hostile ship is not advised. The hostile can fire on the cyno ship, or alert other vessels close enough to respond quickly. Incoming vessels by jumping or bridging will be loading the system while being fired on by prepared vessels.
Summary, you brought a mobile gate to the ones most motivated to camp it.

With local: The cyno pilot has at a glance complete intel on all ships present. No ambush using ships already in system can surprise the pilot due to this, so he can avoid risky situations. Also, the tactical advantage of delaying the warning local gives due to a population spike of PvP ships can be delayed to the last possible moment.
Summary, you have the gate ready, and local tells you when it is safest to use it.
Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#67 - 2013-06-25 23:40:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Rune Scorpio
Nikk Narrel wrote:
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Hot dropping would still happen. You just feel the need to remove local so blobular 1v30 warfare can be perpetuated in another form. People will still gather intel on groups with the mountain of other tools available and go "oh hey look this group likes solo pvp/pve and only has 10 guys. Lets go bait and bridge today with a fleet of tier/tech 3's and logi."
Like I said it will just turn into large groups of people ganking with cloakies instead (there is no good solution to cloaking btw) and the lame no risk pvp ganks will continue. Can you even guess how many omfg wtf crap is this cloaky blob spam threads will pop up? There needs to be a defence to an offence.
Stop trying to force a large scale change to eve over a mechanic that is clearly broken.

What idiot would hot drop onto a target if they could achieve the same effect with less risk?

Seriously, if the target has no instant intel telling them who is in the system, they can just come in through the gates.

Got someone watching the gates? Then they have backup present in the system and can pop the dropper before serious dps can bridge over.
Local is also telling the dropper if the target has backup present, so your chances of counter-ambushing them become limited.

Without local: Opening a cyno near a hostile ship is not advised. The hostile can fire on the cyno ship, or alert other vessels close enough to respond quickly. Incoming vessels by jumping or bridging will be loading the system while being fired on by prepared vessels.
Summary, you brought a mobile gate to the ones most motivated to camp it.

With local: The cyno pilot has at a glance complete intel on all ships present. No ambush using ships already in system can surprise the pilot due to this, so he can avoid risky situations. Also, the tactical advantage of delaying the warning local gives due to a population spike of PvP ships can be delayed to the last possible moment.
Summary, you have the gate ready, and local tells you when it is safest to use it.

I have repeatedly seen blops fleets nuke through a target before people can even clear warp let alone have a fleet large enough on hand to take down 20 guys. People WILL continue hotdropping even with no local. It will really turn into large fleets only as people will be unable to undock with anything less since fleets of covops will just blob solo people. Ever see a bomber fleet nuke a target with torps? It goes FAST and everyone can just cloak up when the help arrives meaning its literally just the one covert cyno stuck for one minute.
Cynos need a nerf. They have been OP for far too long and removing local is not an effective solution. It will make the game very dry and suck the fun out of it. Hey guess what I like talking to people I'm shooting. I like looking at peoples bios and reading their employment history.
Without local you just have to know the locals which can be done easily over a couple of days cloaking and using the various tools like eve who and eve kill/battleclinic and watchlist them. Done, now they can be hotdropped since we know they can't respond with anything that can hurt us.
Without local it wont even be standard hotdrops. They will be rendered obsolete by blops and straight up covops blobs.
Hopelesshobo
Hoboland
#68 - 2013-06-25 23:56:35 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Hopelesshobo wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

I very strongly disagree with that notion, sir. Your ship's jump drive does, too.

There is nothing in there that counters what you quoted me on, where the jump bubble could actually interfere with the cyno beacon, which according to your article is a gravity well.

Lowering the average to make you look better since 2012.

Erutpar Ambient
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2013-06-26 03:22:39 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Hopelesshobo wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

Have you read this at all? First of all the section entitled "Jump Drives" is actually about warp drives. It has nothing to do with Jump Drives or Jump Gates. The Jump Gate technology uses gravitational harmonics of Binary stars (2 stars in one star system) to make a Bridge to another part of space with the same gravitational frequency. To increase jump range you have to reposition yourself on a harmonic node of the 2 stars allegedly up to 0.5 lightyears away from the stars.

So if you're going to go by that article, then the only way to jump/bridge to a beacon is if both of the ships were in very specific position in relation to the 2 stars in each of the binary systems (how many binary systems does eve have again?). Maybe that's not such a bad idea. You can't cyno on top of people, you have to cyno near the sun. Hey now that's not such a bad idea after all.
Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#70 - 2013-06-26 16:10:56 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Getting a little boring having solo ships wander around and hotdropping 10+ guys onto solo cruisers. I think if a ship lights a cyno it should not be able to commit any hostile actions. Should be easy enough to make the ship have a maximum lockable target value of 0 when a cynosural module is activated. Gives a few seconds to try and warp off before getting blobbed.
It wouldn't have much effect on dropping into an engaged fight either as things are already tackled, but it will slightly negate the guys that only want risk free kills and never take fleets on roams to hunt targets for fear of running into a similar sized fleet that spotted them. "Alright I'm going to lose. Cyno lit" is far too common.
Some guys will literally go roaming on unaffiliated alts looking for fights, and as soon as something geos wrong they will bridge in all their toons over in dps alpha ships and stomp up. Usually if there's a drop as soon as the fight engages the tackled ship is dead before other guys that were already in system even land meaning the best way to pad a killboard is to sit on a titan, and maybe play another game until it's time to play eve for a few minutes.

Hotdropping is the instant action button for eve where you have a group of guys humping a titan for hours on end and then bashing their heads against their keyboards for 10 seconds.

While dropping dozen ships over a cruiser might seem lemming tactics you've yet to see drop +10 supers/dreads for a simple command ship camping at the gate with aggression timer (yep I've seen this hilarious thing happen)

Blops thing it's quite easy to counter or at least not make a victim of yourself but when it happens it's the game, when you're using your little cruiser and popping cyno frigs at the station and shuttles or blockade runners at the gates you're not worth anything more than the hot droppers on you.

Just figure out by yourself a Blops has BC EHP AND DPS, if you're in a gank setup you might as well take out the PIlgrim/Arazy/Falcon/Rapier with less tank than your cruiser/bs or just raw ehp and for sure less DPS before they kill you because they will, just OH everything and rush the cyno ship if you get it you've simply ruined the game for several guys for a simplecruiser HD.

If you have guys at the station and those droppers are only in Blops make them undock with real BS/BC's, focus fire drop ECM drones on them points and kill them all, you'll be trading a couple cheapo ships vs several 1B+ hulls and believe me, they will avoid lurking around your system for a very long time.

Unless it dies in 15 seconds you die from the hotdrops i regularly see. Also people dont tend to use recons either its typically blops from a low dps high tank loki or proteus. Unless you have a fleet ready to go and in system its deadly.
bigger issue is solo cruisers and bc's as they are worth little and can tackle something nice bridge in a gank fleet stomp up and MAYBE lose the cheap cyno. Only maybe if you are roaming in an area where there's a fleet that can compete with yours and if they can hold point on something while they head there.
cyno fleets >conventional roams because the group arrives at a tackled target in 10 seconds where conventional fleets may need to clear a gate and warp bringing typical 10-15 AU warps in around 30-45 seconds. Bridge fleet has 20-35 seconds to nuke something and leave and set up to kill things as they land.
Unbalanced.
Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#71 - 2013-06-27 10:47:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Rune Scorpio
Erutpar Ambient wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
Hopelesshobo wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

Have you read this at all? First of all the section entitled "Jump Drives" is actually about warp drives. It has nothing to do with Jump Drives or Jump Gates. The Jump Gate technology uses gravitational harmonics of Binary stars (2 stars in one star system) to make a Bridge to another part of space with the same gravitational frequency. To increase jump range you have to reposition yourself on a harmonic node of the 2 stars allegedly up to 0.5 lightyears away from the stars.

So if you're going to go by that article, then the only way to jump/bridge to a beacon is if both of the ships were in very specific position in relation to the 2 stars in each of the binary systems (how many binary systems does eve have again?). Maybe that's not such a bad idea. You can't cyno on top of people, you have to cyno near the sun. Hey now that's not such a bad idea after all.

Only cyno within a few au of the sun? Thats actually a great idea.
Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#72 - 2013-06-27 10:57:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Rune Scorpio
Hopelesshobo wrote:
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:

I originally thought of ideas about mass affecting jump times or limitations but people regularly countered with titan bridges bringing through small stuff. And in practice they were right I just hadn't seen much of it or how effective it was.
When I first started looking for nerfs to cynos was when guys were dropping solo supers and ganking things and either jumping out or logging and taking a 15 minute beating.
That isn't done anymore because of aggro changes and the MOM nerf.
The big issue lies now in the original mechanic that allowed supers to do what they were doing but more often with subcaps being brought through as opposed to caps.
Single cynoship tackling an aggressor that thinks they can take it, which typically means its worth more.
Samuel Wess
Doomheim
#73 - 2013-06-27 12:36:43 UTC
Add a timer on lighting cynos, it should not be an instant process. The ship should be sitting still, and the process could
take like 30 seconds.
Or think on another way to be possible for pilots to have intel on cyno/fleet size. I would like to see constructive ideas
from ccp to make the game challenging and not just offering more griefing methods to players.

Walk into the club like "What up? I got a big cockpit!"

Grath Telkin
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#74 - 2013-06-27 13:18:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Grath Telkin
So here's the thing:

We used to roam a lot, constantly all the time, all over EVE.

Then after a while people stopped fighting us, a roaming gang goes out and spends the better part of 4 hours watching people dock up and rant in local about how they wont fight us.

So, you get what you have today, we send out a ship that you will fight with your gang. Mainly because its a single guy and you're trying to gank him which is what makes you complaining about it being risk free pvp rather ironic as you wouldn't engage an equal sized gang, however finding one lone guy riding around is something you're more than happy to dive on, then when that lone guy turns the tables on your gang bang you get mad.

Anyway you wouldn't engage an equal sized gang, hell half the time you wouldn't engage a gang 1/2 your gangs size, you're risk averse and thats ok, thats how you choose to play.

But crying foul when your gang tries to gank a solo target and gets trashed because he's bait is a bit on the hypocritical side.

You made your bed, now you can sleep in it.

EDIT: Heres a question, why is it ok for your small gang to gank a solo target, and not ok for that solo target to turn that around on you?

Malcanis - Without drone assign, the slowcat doctrine will wither and die.

Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#75 - 2013-06-27 14:45:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Rune Scorpio
Grath Telkin wrote:
So here's the thing:

Then after a while people stopped fighting us, a roaming gang goes out and spends the better part of 4 hours watching people dock up and rant in local about how they wont fight us.

So, you get what you have today, we send out a ship that you will fight with your gang. Mainly because its a single guy and you're trying to gank him which is what makes you complaining about it being risk free pvp rather ironic as you wouldn't engage an equal sized gang, however finding one lone guy riding around is something you're more than happy to dive on, then when that lone guy turns the tables on your gang bang you get mad.

Anyway you wouldn't engage an equal sized gang, hell half the time you wouldn't engage a gang 1/2 your gangs size, you're risk averse and thats ok, thats how you choose to play.

But crying foul when your gang tries to gank a solo target and gets trashed because he's bait is a bit on the hypocritical side.

EDIT: Heres a question, why is it ok for your small gang to gank a solo target, and not ok for that solo target to turn that around on you?

Ummm people regularly go 1v1 around here so don't just point fingers. We had more in the past but being hotdropped constantly sent them looking for new games to play. Also when you bring a small gang we form up and put eyes in your systems because half your guys like having their caps out or a second fleet to bridge over.
Ill even go solo against a group if I think I can at least kill something of equal value before I get caught.
We also consistently take out fleets equal to others just you guys are one of the risk averse blobber groups we prefer to avoid. Why even risk a hotdrop when they do it regularly is the mentality.
The solo targets we hunt have ample opportunity to escape. Hotdropped targets do not.
Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#76 - 2013-06-27 14:49:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Rune Scorpio
Samuel Wess wrote:
Add a timer on lighting cynos, it should not be an instant process. The ship should be sitting still, and the process could
take like 30 seconds.
Or think on another way to be possible for pilots to have intel on cyno/fleet size. I would like to see constructive ideas
from ccp to make the game challenging and not just offering more griefing methods to players.

This turns null sov battles into a logistical nightmare as alpha fleets could easily deny an enemy fleet entrance to their systems.
Bringing ships through rather quickly is still important as the purpose of cynoing fleets was to quickly move a fleet past a blockade. Defenders should not be able to dictate the location of every battle or things get very linear and boring.
Grath Telkin
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#77 - 2013-06-28 00:46:13 UTC
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:
So here's the thing:

Ummm people regularly go 1v1 around here so don't just point fingers. We had more in the past but being hotdropped constantly sent them looking for new games to play. Also when you bring a small gang we form up and put eyes in your systems because half your guys like having their caps out or a second fleet to bridge over.
Ill even go solo against a group if I think I can at least kill something of equal value before I get caught.
We also consistently take out fleets equal to others just you guys are one of the risk averse blobber groups we prefer to avoid. Why even risk a hotdrop when they do it regularly is the mentality.
The solo targets we hunt have ample opportunity to escape. Hotdropped targets do not.

Ok nice dodge on the questions there, you're not going to answer thats cool, i get it, you only want to be the ganker not the guy getting ganked.

You can spin whatever lies you want here on this forum but we generally don't waste the fuel on solo drops unless we're dropping a cap ship, and if you're trying to solo with a cap ship you're getting what you deserve.

If you're the victim of a PL cyno ship generally you were either in a multi billion isk ship, or in a small gang trying to gank a solo guy, we do NOT open cynos on solo roaming ships with no value, its not worth the fuel costs.

Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#78 - 2013-06-28 01:54:48 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:

Ok nice dodge on the questions there, you're not going to answer thats cool, i get it, you only want to be the ganker not the guy getting ganked.

You asked one question and I answered it. The rest was a rant about us not undocking into a blob like everyone else that likes small gang warfare.
Fail troll.
Grath Telkin
DUST Expeditionary Team
Good Sax
#79 - 2013-06-28 06:35:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Grath Telkin
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

You asked one question and I answered it. The rest was a rant about us not undocking into a blob like everyone else that likes small gang warfare.
Fail troll.

Its not a troll bud, if you're so worried about fair game play I expect that you're willing to never engage a solo player with a small gang again right?

Right?

Oh you're not, your just another hypocrite who wants to gank people risk free?

Gotcha.

EDIT: And you didn't answer my question at all actually.

EDIT EDIT: Ahahaha, I see you did, your basic response is that its ok that you do it because.

I'm sure solo guys have ample chances to escape being pointed by 9 or 10 dudes, I'm also sure that on Sunday mornings at day break you sing a stunning rendition of Ave Marie while a gaggle of newborn baby monkeys take flight from your virgin rectum.

Rune Scorpio
Torgue
#80 - 2013-06-28 11:24:02 UTC
Grath Telkin wrote:
Rune Scorpio wrote:
Grath Telkin wrote:

Fail troll.

Its not a troll bud, if you're so worried about fair game play I expect that you're willing to never engage a solo player with a small gang again right?

Right?

Oh you're not, your just another hypocrite who wants to gank people risk free?

Gotcha.

EDIT: And you didn't answer my question at all actually.

EDIT EDIT: Ahahaha, I see you did, your basic response is that its ok that you do it because.

I'm sure solo guys have ample chances to escape being pointed by 9 or 10 dudes, I'm also sure that on Sunday mornings at day break you sing a stunning rendition of Ave Marie while a gaggle of newborn baby monkeys take flight from your virgin rectum.

If you don't understand how ships can escape tacklers at gates or when flying around then perhaps you need more experience flying around solo. People regularly escape traps myself and others set. Believe it or not the rest of the combat mechanics are working quite nicely.
Back on topic please this is a discussion on the mechanics and how changes would affect gameplay.