These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Free To Play Idea

First post First post
Author
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#61 - 2013-06-25 23:39:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
No one has mentioned industry. Imagine an army of industry alts, all able to run 6 jobs, all free, no need to have more than one on line at a time, no need to undock in a restricted ship.

Edit: About using a Venture for ore hauling: A Venture is not a restricted skill ship so with your free to play model it could dock and undock.

Also: These guys would be able to farm ISK for free, thus making RMT more of a plague in the game. Yes its cheating, but do we really need to make it easier, thus increasing the effort CCP has to devote to finding and banning the cheaters? You said one goal was to increase revenue to CCP, but here is a case where it increases the cost to CCP.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Serithin
Rage Against Machine
#62 - 2013-06-26 00:26:34 UTC
Gnord wrote:
Danika Princip wrote:

Infinite PI alts.

Infinite cyno alts.

Infinite mining alts.

Infinite falcon alts.

Why are any of those good?

ALL planetary Interaction skills are restricted skills, already. Admittedly, that would require an additional rule. This is an oversight on my part, but an easily fixable one. The Rule: You can't interact with planets without paying.

Cyno's are modules, and cyno's are a restricted skill. You have to actually get those alts undocked with those modules, which I feel is mostly, if not completely, addressed by my idea.

Mining alt restrictions are already tested as being sufficient, since Mining Barge and other high end mining skills are restricted skills, and we don't see fleets of a million mining frigates running around right now.

Falcon: Tech 2 ship. Restricted skill. Already covered.

YOU might not see the mining frigs now go free to play and you will see one paid orca and 200 gold farming f2p accounts in ventures
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#63 - 2013-06-26 15:09:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
I did a big write up on this after Incarna insanity :: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=60345

But you essentially don't have a game outside the station walking. Which isn't really a game at the moment.

When they fix ambulation they can justify this totally. Otherwise, I don't think it's a positive experience overall to force people to stare at Captain's quarters. It's just a slap in the face reminder.

Yes, you can do market trading, and other things. But the niche for this is tiny. If they had social ambulation areas, then yes. totally, free to play to **** around in a station and possibly get transferred around stations would be pretty freaking cool.

Until then, I don't expect to see this.

Where I am.

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#64 - 2013-06-26 17:01:14 UTC
Dear OP,

I'm not a like whore, but I will point out that you have one like. And that sole like I don't even know if it came to you in this thread. Therefore it seems that you have discovered that EVE is not a game to follow the latest bad trends in the market. It is a game that has had a good design and longevity, and which should not be fadized. Your idea is going nowhere here, and rightly so.

Sincerely,

Deac

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Mr Doctor
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#65 - 2013-06-26 17:25:20 UTC
Dunno about you guys but I've barely paid for Eve in years.... I have played for free if you will. Eve is already F2P in the most balanced and fair way.
Gnord
Super Mining Bros - 3D
#66 - 2013-06-27 04:46:50 UTC
I have re-written the idea in the first post.
Omnathious Deninard
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2013-06-27 04:56:27 UTC
Form one bad extreme to a worthless extreme. In this current state you would probably discourage new players from using the trial account.

If you don't follow the rules, neither will I.

Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2013-06-27 05:14:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Shereza
Gnord wrote:
The venture, mostly as it exists now, will become a Tech-2 Mining Frigate, requiring Mining Frigate 4-5, and a "restricted" Tech 2 skill (Perhaps the T2 skill adds resistances, or drone mining yield). A Tech 1 mining frigate will be introduced, which has bonuses for mining, but appropriately balanced for F2P players.

#1 T2 ships require level 5 of the appropriate handling skill and a subsequent tech 2 ship handling skill. T2 skills are restricted so restricting the ship would be unnecessary.

#2 One way of getting CCP interested in an idea and looking at it is to follow KISS. Keep It, and take your pick between Stupidly Simple and Simple, Stupid. Asking them to rebalance one ship (and making it T2 and subsequently giving it another bonus or two along with other pertinent stat increases would call for a round of rebalancing on it) and then create a whole new ship to fill a hole you just suggested they make with said rebalanced ship doesn't necessarily follow KISS.

#3 The biggest flaw with the venture from a free to play model is the size of the ore hold. All things considered reducing it to 1k or 1.5k would be much more agreeable than what you suggested.

Gnord wrote:
You cannot train skills.

You cannot engage in any Manufacturing, Science & Industry, Research, etc.

No. If "free" accounts are implemented and they subsequently replace "trial" accounts they need to be able to train skills and engage in industry as part of the new player/tutorial process. Preventing free accounts from training skills that are currently restricted from trial accounts and limiting the number of concurrent S&I jobs a trial/free account can place would be much more acceptable than outright removing them altogether.

Gnord wrote:
You cannot connect with an unpaid account on this machine if another paid account is active on your machine (Verified under current methods).
You can connect with a maximum of 3 unpaid accounts from your location (verified by connection details, such as IP and routing information).

Not going to work. You can spoof IP addresses. Furthermore you can also spoof MAC addresses. Combine said spoofing with multiple virtual/physical machines and/or one or more VPNs and these restrictions are pretty meaningless to anyone even halfway dedicated to multi-boxing with free accounts.

Gnord wrote:
You cannot give, or benefit from Mining Foreman bonuses in your fleet (All other bonuses ok).

No. Blitzing L3 missions with bots using full gang link bonuses would still be viable. Also, regarding your following isk cap I don't see that it would affect L3 blitzbots as much as you might hope as it doesn't prevent them from getting loot/salvage/LP. Furthermore it only covers pirate bounties and not agent rewards/bonuses. Furthermore allowing full defensive gang boosts on mining bots just makes them that (tiny bit) much harder to kill by players who actively pursue botters.

Finally the maximum mining yield a venture can achieve is 858m3/minute with T2 mining lasers and a hair over 1km3 with modulated miners and T2 crystals. In comparison the top named mining lasers would only achieve a yield of 700m3/minute. This isn't necessarily bad given that moas would be able to mine more than a venture; it would be 858m3/minute on the venture to 935m3/minute on the moa, and the moa can manage enough cargo space to handle 2/3 of that amount so staggering the beams would make it plausible to mine that way.

On a secondary note consider this. If you make the venture too unattractive botters can, and will, switch to other ships, and ships like the moa would require that any botting software make significantly more actions per minute than what would be needed with a venture which in turn would increase the per ship server load botting generates. Just a thought. Oh, yes, and moas would be harder to gank for anti-botter players than ventures would be with potentially 24.8k EHP to the venture's 4.4k with a buffer build.
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#69 - 2013-06-27 05:42:54 UTC
Mr Doctor wrote:
Dunno about you guys but I've barely paid for Eve in years.... I have played for free if you will. Eve is already F2P in the most balanced and fair way.

It's not F2P if you use plexes to play the game. Someone needs to buy those PLEXs for you so you can buy them from market and add them to your game time.

F2P means that no one needs to pay any money so that someone can get into the game.

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#70 - 2013-06-27 06:09:46 UTC
OP's rewrite of the first post sounds like an almost completely crippled version of the game. I believe the understanding that EVE simply cannot be made tiered F2P/P2P is creeping into OP's head. The only way you could make any part of EVE F2P is if you make the whole thing F2P and that's not something that can even be discussed.
Caitlyn Tufy
Perkone
Caldari State
#71 - 2013-06-27 06:24:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Caitlyn Tufy
While EVE doesn't have a free to play model per say, the PLEX mechanic works like it for the market buyer for all intents and purposes. As such, there is no need for the game to get a proper f2p model for the foreseeable future.

Frankly, I consider EVE's model a perfect compromise between a monthly subscription and free to play model, especially since the monetary gain of the PLEX buyers doesn't turn into a pay to win either due to EVE's skill system.
Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#72 - 2013-06-27 06:29:55 UTC
Personaly I think it should be possible to enter the game unpaid and with restrictions in place you could not do almost anything.

I mean what harm would it do to the game?
All I can see is an easier way to get to the market and buy a plex or if I'm for somereason broke at the time when the subscription ends I could still talk with my friends and fly around until I have the isks to get a plex for that account or continue my subcription.

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Gnord
Super Mining Bros - 3D
#73 - 2013-06-27 07:00:33 UTC
Caitlyn Tufy wrote:
While EVE doesn't have a free to play model per say, the PLEX mechanic works like it for the market buyer for all intents and purposes. As such, there is no need for the game to get a proper f2p model for the foreseeable future.

Frankly, I consider EVE's model a perfect compromise between a monthly subscription and free to play model, especially since the monetary gain of the PLEX buyers doesn't turn into a pay to win either due to EVE's skill system.

I mention this mid-thread, but I think there's some (small) problems with PLEX as a F2P system:

* Namely, It can't be done by the casual player.
* It doesn't lure lapsed players back.
* It is only geared towards high-income play styles.

Even the very wealthy Goonfleet can't afford to pay for PLEX for any significant fraction of their group. A F2P system ideally gets USED by a lot of players, where your free players are just as numerous, if not more, than the paying players. PLEX doesn't draw that. It's a GREAT system to combat RMT, and it's a GREAT system for the hardcore players. It just doesn't work for casual players, and it doesn't work to draw in lapsed players.
Gnord
Super Mining Bros - 3D
#74 - 2013-06-27 07:13:23 UTC
Alvatore DiMarco wrote:
OP's rewrite of the first post sounds like an almost completely crippled version of the game. I believe the understanding that EVE simply cannot be made tiered F2P/P2P is creeping into OP's head. The only way you could make any part of EVE F2P is if you make the whole thing F2P and that's not something that can even be discussed.

In truth, I'm not as happy with the re-write as I (still) am with the original. On the other hand, if the most vocal minority of the community hates an idea so much, I doubt it will get considered.

I ABSOLUTELY believe that there is a good F2P solution for Eve, which fulfills my stated goals. My first idea was simple and clean, but enough people found enough problems that it won't be viable without additional changes. The second idea just isn't as good. It builds directly on the first idea, but only really addressing the feedback from this thread.

I still think the first idea is doable, and better. I think a real F2P system would open the floodgates for new players to join Eve, and if it is well designed, a good F2P system pushes players to pay up when they're hooked.

I obviously didn't hit it perfect with either idea, but maybe they'll use the idea to come up with something better, that works.
Jowen Datloran
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#75 - 2013-06-27 08:39:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Jowen Datloran
CCP Eterne wrote:
I have removed some inappropriate posts from this thread.

You missed the OP.

Seriously, for a sandbox game like EVE-O to thrive, players need to invest. Both time and money will do. The tutorial period for EVE-O is already very long and does provide the gates for new players to flood through. They just do not; the EVE-O barrier of entry is more than simply paying for the game. I am happy for that.

Mr. Science & Trade Institute, EVE Online Lorebook 

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#76 - 2013-06-27 09:02:10 UTC
Gnord wrote:
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
God no, ccp needs money, otherwise we can't enjoy eve. Freeplay mmos are rarely the quality of eve and have never lasted as long. Some things are worth paying for.

It is quite possible to earn MORE money under a good microtransaction/free-to-play model. Granted, it must be done correctly.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/07/lord-of-the-rings-online-doubles-revenue-since-going-free-to-pla/
Since the game is already made, and is already gorgeous and high-quality, the real goal now is simply: More players.

But you need to consider that in the context of LoTR's sub graph diving harder than an Italian footballer.

On the other hand, EVE is seeing excellent YoY subscriber and revenue growth (around 10% IIRC). CCP have every financial incentive to keep their current subscription + PLEX hybrid model, which has been extremely successful. It's very difficult to imagine a F2P scenario that would make CCP more revenue than the current PLEX system does.

Given the existing playerbase's highly predictable reaction to introducing a cash shop capable of generating enough revenue to make up for the lost revenue from unpaid accounts, CCP would have to be either high on CIA-grade hallucinogens or forced at gunpoint to go F2P at this stage.

Incidentally, your proposal would be an open door to all kinds of botting and alt-abuse exploits.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#77 - 2013-06-27 09:04:11 UTC
Just in case I'm not making myself clear:

HELL NO!

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ellon JTC
Quadralien
#78 - 2013-06-27 09:30:51 UTC
Gnord wrote:
[REVISED FROM ORIGINAL POST DUE TO FEEDBACK]
My original post was an attempt at simplicity and that clearly wasn't sufficient. So, I've thought up a few additions. I'm still trying to keep it simple, but it tries to address the issues from feedback.

The core of the idea:
Focus on the "cannot be trained on trial accounts" skills. These skills (for ships and modules) will be re-labeled as "restricted".
Additionally, focus on the meta-level of modules. Specifically, any module with Meta-5 or higher will also be considered "restricted".

While your account is marked as unpaid:

You cannot undock with any ship requiring any restricted skill. (Docking is allowed)
While in space, you cannot board an empty ship that uses restricted skills.
While in space, you cannot activate a ship that uses restricted skills from a POS/Capital ship maintenance bay.

While logging-in or undocking, any restricted modules are put offline (Including passive ones).
While in space, you cannot online or activate any restricted module.

(I'm very likely missing some/multiple key workaround(s) here which SHOULD be prevented as well, but the gist is that you're restricted to Tech 1 modules, Tech 1 ships, and nothing larger than cruisers, no workarounds.)

The venture, mostly as it exists now, will become a Tech-2 Mining Frigate, requiring Mining Frigate 4-5, and a "restricted" Tech 2 skill (Perhaps the T2 skill adds resistances, or drone mining yield). A Tech 1 mining frigate will be introduced, which has bonuses for mining, but appropriately balanced for F2P players.

You cannot train skills.
You cannot engage in PI.
You cannot engage in any Manufacturing, Science & Industry, Research, etc.
You cannot connect with an unpaid account on this machine if another paid account is active on your machine (Verified under current methods).
You can connect with a maximum of 3 unpaid accounts from your location (verified by connection details, such as IP and routing information).
You cannot give, or benefit from Mining Foreman bonuses in your fleet (All other bonuses ok).

Pirate bounties are capped at 1 million isk every 15 minute cycle. The rest is "taxed".
You cannot receive insurance payouts for destroyed ships.

Activities not restricted by unpaid accounts:
Piloting unrestricted ships/modules.
All market activities.
All contract activities.
Injecting skill-books (if prerequisites are met).
Docking your advanced ship after your paid-time expires. (This is contrary to my original proposal)

Goals:
1. Address the concerns and rag-*cough*-feedback from the first several pages of this thread.
2. Lure back lapsed players. Any existing player of unlimited age or skill points can return, and play for free.
3. Encourage casual play. If you play for 1 hour a month, you can likely play for free.
4. Provide a marketable Free-2-Play method that is not restricted by time or character age.

Possible Revisions:
I'd like to provide incentive for free players to leave Hisec. My earlier proposal encouraged this, but the current version lacks in this category. Perhaps specific modules/restrictions can be released if you leave protected space? Ideas?

The new idea is a lot more complex as well, but... this is Eve, so it probably can't be helped. Ugh

Discuss!

No, and here's why:

1- You will get a lot more ISK farmers in game. They will squeeze out every last bit of isk in any profitable activity ingame and make the game exceptionally tedious and boring for those that just want to have fun.

2- I don't see any benefits for CCP, just some players taking up system resources. Note that when you are paying for a plex ingame someone else has already paid 15$ dollars to ccp for it.

ApolloF117 HUN
The All-Seeing Eye
Seventh Sanctum.
#79 - 2013-06-27 09:37:20 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Just in case I'm not making myself clear:

HELL NO!

amen for that! we allready have a f2p game since 2003 so if u don't like how its look like go back to other "f2p" game. i think ccp know what he doing thats why the game still alive!
Nariya Kentaya
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#80 - 2013-06-27 13:43:01 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:
Mt are a no go area in eve, we're not a pay to win game, do a search for 'jita riots' and find out for yourself why this will never be accepted by the majority of eve players.

Yeah, wasnt even anything comfirmed, it was an idea of MT that could maybe possibly someday be in the aurum store that wasnt clothes and might maybe possible effect gameplay.

backlash nearly cost CCP the business.