These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to solve the population problem in low sec

Author
E-2C Hawkeye
HOW to PEG SAFETY
#41 - 2013-06-26 16:11:19 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:
I'm not going to write a wall of text because my solution isn't complicated, ideas don't need to be complicated to be good.

How do you populate low sec? My solution is mining related.

You simply put something there that wont exist anywhere else, preferably a basic mineral like nocxium, mexallon or isogen.
Perhaps CCP could create a new type of asteroid that only contains that mineral.

You need incentive to go to lowsec. Right now it's far easier to just join any nullsec corp and reap the riches in a nullsec belt because those belts are usually alot richer in content than low sec belts, alot safer too.

Imagine if low sec was the only place to mine say, nocxium, sure nocxium prices would spike incredibly but it would make low sec far more interesting for mining corps and populate low sec in no time because where there's money to be made there will be people making it.

You are forced to go to nullsec to get large quantities of morphite, why not force people to go to lowsec to get nocx, mex or isogen?

Yes because mining ships are so good at fighting back Roll Killing miners that cant fight back isint a solution.
bloodknight2
Revenu.Quebec
#42 - 2013-06-26 16:14:16 UTC
-Nerf (a lot) the security status for any pvp in LS
-80% of all incursion should be in LS and null
-With the best skill and implant, mining in empire should gives you 20m per hour, 30 in LS and 40 in null (risk VS reward)
-add new ore or gas only in LS and null (need to probe them first)

In my opinion, L4 should be the highest isk/hour you can make in empire.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2013-06-26 16:21:05 UTC
you want to know why losec is unpopulated, compared to hisec?

simple: human nature.
this is a game where pvp happens as soon as you select your character on the login screen, of course people will always flock to the activities and areas with highest pay/safety ratios, because many just want to enjoy the game in a relaxed way, thus the reason why you can't "force" people to mine in losec, those players will simply quit.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Danbar Roth
Ascendance
Goonswarm Federation
#44 - 2013-06-26 16:21:48 UTC
Why would i mine in lowsec when I can make 200-400mill a hour EASY in Faction warfare?

Their is massive amounts of isk to be made in lowsec. A lot more than a single person in null would get.
Commander Spurty
#45 - 2013-06-26 18:18:32 UTC
Citation for the current low inhabitants / bad state of low sec needed

Seems averagely populated compared to null sec

Would like to see low sec the last place you can bring a pirate ship or implants / mods as a differentiator of low from high. Would have to really change aggression and gate guns. Tepid at best right now

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#46 - 2013-06-26 18:31:59 UTC
I think I heard that early in the days of eve there were low sec industrial corps who secured and mined areas. They went away as the ore in low became no more profitable than high or cyno jammed null.

So what if, say, Nocx, became only available in low sec? None in high, null, or W? Those same sort of low sec corps would pop up. But now they would be an extension of major Null alliances. Low would become another null sec alliance area.

Is that really desirable?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2013-06-26 19:27:29 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Yes because mining ships are so good at fighting back Roll Killing miners that cant fight back isint a solution.

Now a mining ship with offensive weapons and more than 1 mid slot, maybe worth it then.

Until then, folks will high-sec mine until the cows come home. CCP "get's tough" they'll just mothball those accounts. And EvE sees what miners on strike can do (I'll laugh if the New Order is forced to mine as the mats dry up, too).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#48 - 2013-06-26 19:35:29 UTC
I don't know why anyone thinks anything needs to be done to move people around in EVE. It's pretty clear that many people who play games are going to play to their comfort level, and in EVE that means that a signifigant portion of people aren't going to ever be happy in space where they can't dictate their own terms ie High Sec.

In the same way I don't want to see EVe flooded by legions of non-EVe type players (but but, "EVE would get so many more subs if!!") because that would make the community suck, I think there are more than enough people in low sec, null sec and wormholes and moving more player to those places and out of high sec will only result in more whining and crying by people without enough space-balls to accept the realites of those areas.

We see it already now in null, where alliances rent space to high sec entities and the come in, get "cloaky camped" once and either quit or run to the forums demanding CCP intervention.

No thanks, Dangerous space for dangeorus players, let the casuals hide behind CONCORD in NPC empire.
Caldari Citizen 20120308
Doomheim
#49 - 2013-06-26 19:48:47 UTC
Ravnik wrote:
Free beer..thats what low sec needs Cool

What a grand idea. Keg stations that spawn randomly throughout the system.
Josef Djugashvilis
#50 - 2013-06-26 19:52:04 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:
I'm not going to write a wall of text because my solution isn't complicated, ideas don't need to be complicated to be good.

How do you populate low sec? My solution is mining related.

You simply put something there that wont exist anywhere else, preferably a basic mineral like nocxium, mexallon or isogen.
Perhaps CCP could create a new type of asteroid that only contains that mineral.

You need incentive to go to lowsec. Right now it's far easier to just join any nullsec corp and reap the riches in a nullsec belt because those belts are usually alot richer in content than low sec belts, alot safer too.

Imagine if low sec was the only place to mine say, nocxium, sure nocxium prices would spike incredibly but it would make low sec far more interesting for mining corps and populate low sec in no time because where there's money to be made there will be people making it.

You are forced to go to nullsec to get large quantities of morphite, why not force people to go to lowsec to get nocx, mex or isogen?

Ganked ships mine no ore.

This is not a signature.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2013-06-26 19:55:01 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
In the same way I don't want to see EVe flooded by legions of non-EVe type players (but but, "EVE would get so many more subs if!!") because that would make the community suck

Believe me the EvE community sucks not due to that, it sucks because the players want to be known as asshats.

And that's not a WoW problem, that's an EvE problem.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#52 - 2013-06-26 23:16:04 UTC
Just remove level 4s and veldspar from high sec and make them available only in low sec...BAM problem solved!
Six Six Six
Doomheim
#53 - 2013-06-27 00:01:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Six Six Six
As long as the losses (risks) outweigh the gains you won't get a high population in low-sec.

Do away with gate camps and learning implants and you just might see an improvement. Of course you'll still have the problem with trade hubs so high-sec will still be more popular.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#54 - 2013-06-27 00:26:25 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
In the same way I don't want to see EVe flooded by legions of non-EVe type players (but but, "EVE would get so many more subs if!!") because that would make the community suck

Believe me the EvE community sucks not due to that, it sucks because the players want to be known as asshats.

And that's not a WoW problem, that's an EvE problem.

The community doesn't suck, it's the most HONEST gaming community i know of. The vast majority of game communities don't make the real life news like EVE's community does, becuae this game is about cut-throat competiton and creative screwery. Why people choose to play this game while hating wehat makes it unique is crazy (and I mean "in need of mental healthcare intervention" crazy)..

This of course illustrates your personal problem. An MMO is about it's community as much as it's about the actual game. You demonstrate time and time again that you don't like either in EVE. Yet you not only persist in staying, you campaign against everything that makes EVE cool and unique.

You want to see more people (MOAr SUBS!) in the hopes that it would destroy the current community (that you just proved you hate), and you also most likly hope that those new people will hate the competative/pvp aspect of EVE as much as you do and create enough preassure on the game maker to abandon the current spirit of EVE. Because that's all somehow better than just playing the 1000s of WoW clones that actually do what you already like.....
Alex Grison
Grison Universal
#55 - 2013-06-27 00:58:19 UTC
I haven't told any of you about my journey to under-sec. That would fix this problem

yes

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2013-06-27 03:42:07 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:

The community doesn't suck, it's the most HONEST gaming community i know of.

lololol

Let me tell you, Battlefield franchise -- a FPS game that has all the smack talkers and more -- is even better.

Why?

MMOs tend to attract control freaks who turf guard for selfish reasons. Not for the betterment of the game itself, but their pet interests. It's how/why most of them are graveyards, as the dinosaurs roam and fail to understand extinction events occur. They're also quite nasty about it, as pure selfishness is like that.

Jenn aSide wrote:
The vast majority of game communities don't make the real life news like EVE's community does

Because the vast majority of gamers understand games are not real life news. Idea

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#57 - 2013-06-27 04:10:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Ace Uoweme wrote:

MMOs tend to attract control freaks who turf guard for selfish reasons. Not for the betterment of the game itself, but their pet interests. It's how/why most of them are graveyards, as the dinosaurs roam and fail to understand extinction events occur. They're also quite nasty about it, as pure selfishness is like that.
Control freaks is incorrect, some MMOs are graveyards because the developers failed to deliver on the promises they made, or went too far down the path of trying to cater to everybody. You keep banging on about this without actually realising the truth of the matter. We're very protective of what we have, in that you are correct, there is however a good reason that we're so protective of Eve, there's nothing else like it, and we don't want to see CCP or the game go down the path to failure that so many other MMO's have trodden.

Quote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
The vast majority of game communities don't make the real life news like EVE's community does

Because the vast majority of gamers understand games are not real life news. Idea
A game itself may not be real life news, but the events that happen in them are.

A massive heist in a game is a rare thing, such an event in real life is newsworthy and given that the game playing demographic is growing year on year, its occurrence in a virtual world is of interest to an ever growing number of people. The Jita Riots of the summer of 2011 which were the backlash from Incarna, the mass unsubs, the subsequent apology from CCP, and putting on the backburner of WiS until it could deliver what was promised, are fairly unique events in virtual worlds, which is why it made the mainstream press, people found it interesting that a bunch of gamers could organise and carry out a protest in a virtual world, and get a result. Previously events like that have been mainly restricted to the real world. The line between virtual and real world is blurring as more and more people enter the former to get away from the latter.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Ckra Trald
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2013-06-27 05:11:08 UTC
how about people stop trying to shoot every miner they see and then see the results?

http://www.rusemen.com/ Join Tengoo xd

Adunh Slavy
#59 - 2013-06-27 06:02:19 UTC
Travel mechanics

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Darek Castigatus
Immortalis Inc.
Shadow Cartel
#60 - 2013-06-27 08:39:59 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

Control freaks is incorrect, some MMOs are graveyards because the developers failed to deliver on the promises they made, or went too far down the path of trying to cater to everybody. You keep banging on about this without actually realising the truth of the matter. We're very protective of what we have, in that you are correct, there is however a good reason that we're so protective of Eve, there's nothing else like it, and we don't want to see CCP or the game go down the path to failure that so many other MMO's have trodden.

Quote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

A game itself may not be real life news, but the events that happen in them are.

A massive heist in a game is a rare thing, such an event in real life is newsworthy and given that the game playing demographic is growing year on year, its occurrence in a virtual world is of interest to an ever growing number of people. The Jita Riots of the summer of 2011 which were the backlash from Incarna, the mass unsubs, the subsequent apology from CCP, and putting on the backburner of WiS until it could deliver what was promised, are fairly unique events in virtual worlds, which is why it made the mainstream press, people found it interesting that a bunch of gamers could organise and carry out a protest in a virtual world, and get a result. Previously events like that have been mainly restricted to the real world. The line between virtual and real world is blurring as more and more people enter the former to get away from the latter.

The other thing i thing Ace isnt really considering is that big news stories draw people into eve as well. For example, how many people have signed up because of the GHSC article or the hulkageddon coverage or one of the many articles on Burn Jita or the Jita Riot. How many times have people seen something like that and gone "thats cool, i want to check that game out", I'd wager its just a tiny bit more than the ones who went 'OMG the games full of asshats and thieves, stay away!!11!!'

Pirates - The Invisible Fist of Darwin

you're welcome