These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

How to solve the population problem in low sec

Author
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#21 - 2013-06-26 11:47:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Seven Koskanaiken
handige harrie wrote:
so how do you explain mining in Lowsec is already the most profitable mining you can do in the game atm and still people don't go there?

http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore

What makes you think lowsec has a population problem?

That is rubbish profit, if we are talking about actual NET profit after expensing exhumer and barge losses and clone costs, or the opportunity cost of mining in a venture, then people are still better of in hi sec.

Make the roids pay out, quadrule, 5x, 10x and then it becomes economically worthwhile. At some point it will reach an equilibrium and SOMEONE will come because the risk-adjusted returns justify it. I don't believe that all miners want zero risk gameplay, that's just a lazy assumption.

Quote:
OP is just a prat in disguise, one whose inability to kill anything brings him to the forums with the idea of bringing more mining ships to low sec so he can finally start adding stuff to his killboard. So his mom can be proud of him.

If mining wasn't meant to be done in lowsec why are there asteroids and ore sites there?
Grog Barrel
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-06-26 11:54:28 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:
I'm not going to write a wall of text because my solution isn't complicated, ideas don't need to be complicated to be good.

How do you populate low sec? My solution is mining related.

You simply put something there that wont exist anywhere else, preferably a basic mineral like nocxium, mexallon or isogen.
Perhaps CCP could create a new type of asteroid that only contains that mineral.

You need incentive to go to lowsec. Right now it's far easier to just join any nullsec corp and reap the riches in a nullsec belt because those belts are usually alot richer in content than low sec belts, alot safer too.

Imagine if low sec was the only place to mine say, nocxium, sure nocxium prices would spike incredibly but it would make low sec far more interesting for mining corps and populate low sec in no time because where there's money to be made there will be people making it.

You are forced to go to nullsec to get large quantities of morphite, why not force people to go to lowsec to get nocx, mex or isogen?

a.k.a.

how to solve a problem?
destroy the sandbox
Mycool Jahksn
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2013-06-26 11:54:46 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
handige harrie wrote:
so how do you explain mining in Lowsec is already the most profitable mining you can do in the game atm and still people don't go there?

http://ore.cerlestes.de/index.html#site:ore

What makes you think lowsec has a population problem?

That is rubbish profit, if we are talking about actual NET profit after expensing exhumer and barge losses and clone costs, or the opportunity cost of mining in a venture, then people are still better of in hi sec.

Make the roids pay out, quadrule, 5x, 10x and then it becomes economically worthwhile. At some point it will reach an equilibrium and SOMEONE will come because the risk-adjusted returns justify it. I don't believe that all miners want zero risk gameplay, that's just a lazy assumption.

My point exactly.

The market would decide how much the risk of mining in low sec is worth because the prices would reflect that risk.

If nocxium was readily available in any lowsec area and was worth 10 times more than mining morphite u can be absolutely sure there would be people there reaping the riches.

My interests include but are not limited to throwing rocks at bee hives.

There are more stars in the universe than all of the grains of sand on earth.

Mycool Jahksn
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#24 - 2013-06-26 11:57:38 UTC
Grog Barrel wrote:

a.k.a.

how to solve a problem?
destroy the sandbox

You're not destroying the sandbox because there are tons of examples of stuff you can only get from certain areas.

Megacyte for example.

Do you even know what a sandbox is? Have another grog, you seem to have had plenty of them already.

My interests include but are not limited to throwing rocks at bee hives.

There are more stars in the universe than all of the grains of sand on earth.

Ra Jackson
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-06-26 12:17:32 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:

How do you populate low sec?

Make love not war.
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#26 - 2013-06-26 12:21:42 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:
You simply put something there that wont exist anywhere else, preferably a basic mineral like nocxium, mexallon or isogen.
Perhaps CCP could create a new type of asteroid that only contains that mineral.

And the gaming world will learn that CCP lost about 100k players in the process.

There's a reason why CCP just doesn't make everything PvP. They have to balance the play styles out. If they don't the consequences don't look good.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Liafcipe9000
Critically Preposterous
#27 - 2013-06-26 12:23:29 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
There's a reason why CCP just doesn't make everything PvP. They have to balance the play styles out. If they don't the consequences don't look good.

EVERYTHING is PVP.
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#28 - 2013-06-26 12:29:10 UTC
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

EVERYTHING is PVP.

It's PVP enabled but if you plan your stuff jsut a bit, you can manage to stay away from most of the PVP shooting. Mining in low sec is not exactly a good plan if you want to stay away from the shooting.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#29 - 2013-06-26 12:29:21 UTC
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

EVERYTHING is PVP.

Wait for the argument from Ace Uoweme that trade, industry and everything else that doesn't involve an explosion is PvE.

The way to increase lowsec population is to move there, nothing more, nothing less.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-06-26 12:32:11 UTC
Mycool Jahksn wrote:
I'm not going to write a wall of text because my solution isn't complicated, ideas don't need to be complicated to be good.

How do you populate low sec? My solution is mining related.

Despite the considerably lowered loot drop rates, mission gun mining will reach new heights.

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Zircon Dasher
#31 - 2013-06-26 12:34:58 UTC
Came in thinking I would see stuff about needing more 12 year old boys....

Did not leave completely disappointed.

Nerfing High-sec is never the answer. It is the question. The answer is 'YES'.

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-06-26 12:43:50 UTC
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

EVERYTHING is PVP.

If you mine, and have played any other game that has had it, you'll learn about risk avoidance. One way to avoid it is not even going out there to mine, and find other alternatives. If there's no other alternative...hmmm, that other game looks interesting to play now.

Voting with your wallet is the most pleasant experience of them all, especially when there's 10000000000000001 games to play.

So, yeah, CCP plans carefully if they know what's good for them (that Technium goo sure didn't get changed in 90 days, ya know?).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2013-06-26 12:48:53 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

EVERYTHING is PVP.

Wait for the argument from Ace Uoweme that trade, industry and everything else that doesn't involve an explosion is PvE.

The way to increase lowsec population is to move there, nothing more, nothing less.

Hey, I love the /ignore feature. I can ignore the obvious trolls, and still post about what irritates the mess out of them...and not taking one ban bite.

/ignore.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#34 - 2013-06-26 13:00:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Voting with your wallet is the most pleasant experience of them all, especially when there's 10000000000000001 games to play.
Please go and play one of the multitude of other games then, stop trying to ruin ours with your pathetic attempts to turn it into them.

Quote:
Hey, I love the /ignore feature. I can ignore the obvious trolls, and still post about what irritates the mess out of them...and not taking one ban bite.

/ignore.

Pot meet kettle, I was in no way trolling, your responses are entirely predictable. Keep posting your ridiculous rambling and people will keep pulling you up on just how wrong you are.

Ignore me all you want, I'll be in good company with Malconis, in fact I shall consider being blocked by you and your ilk a badge of honour. It in no way changes the fact that pretty much everything in Eve is PvP, or is there to feed PvP.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

darmwand
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#35 - 2013-06-26 13:17:07 UTC
Have you actually been to low-sec lately? The place is rather crowded these days, at least in my neighbourhood (Placid).

"The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp."

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#36 - 2013-06-26 13:29:25 UTC
It's a decent idea, which is why CCP have already done something similar. They boosted the rates of low end minerals in rarer ore types so that mining in lowsec would be more profitable. I would very much like to see if that has actually worked.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Milan Nantucket
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-06-26 13:41:39 UTC
Actually there is an easier way.... get rid of "hi-sec". With high sec gone low sec will be populated no matter what. Make the n00b systems high sec... that way I won't be tempted.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#38 - 2013-06-26 13:58:25 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Liafcipe9000 wrote:
Ace Uoweme wrote:

EVERYTHING is PVP.

If you mine, and have played any other game that has had it, you'll learn about risk avoidance.

...which you have to do because EVERYTHING in EVE is PvP.
Q 5
999 HOLDINGS LLC
#39 - 2013-06-26 14:05:09 UTC
Now here me out and think about it, as I posted before make planets in low sec harvestable as in gases,

Make it harvestable so say the lower you decend the better the yield or harvesting amount.

People would do it in a venture cause gases would go to ore hold.

It would be a cat and mouse game.

Of course the gas would have to be worth the risk say NPC buy orders of 25,000 isk per unit.

Low sec gets no love because any miner knows it's death to mine there, same reason low sec doesn't go into 0.0 and pvp all day.....everybody wants soft targets so they can grab their balls and dance around thinking they are some kind of ace space warrior.

Besides isn't that why FW is there, lvl 5 missions, and incursions....still you're never satisfied are you?X
Helios Aquiness
Perkone
Caldari State
#40 - 2013-06-26 15:41:55 UTC
What I would change is to add a delayed CONCORD reaction in low sec. For instance, if you get a criminal flag, CONCORD will come after you BUT it wouldnt be instant like in high sec, rather it would take a minute or so for them to arrive. The logic being that low sec is still empire space but not as well enforced.
Carebear? Im a brony, motherf***er.