These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

why legion instead of tengu

Author
Mr Floydy
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#21 - 2013-06-25 22:11:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Floydy
Legions rock in WH space... Most groups role with Guardians + armor subcaps. Legion has good buffer, it also has the benefit of fairly even resists compared to other T3s (ie a tengu often needs an em resist mod - prot often needs an explosive one), being armour it'll probably have passive resists unlike a tengu so you won't diaf if you get neuted dry, small size, great instant damage projection with lasers (or lots of damage type choice with missiles), or it can neut a hell of a lot when fit for it.

Fitted with the tactical targetting sub and a sensor booster it'll lock as quick as a frigate and with Scorch ammo makes a great anti frigate ship before they get close - also great against stealth bombers and falcons.

But yeh, mainly it looks bloody cool :D

Personally I never really found a pvp tengu fit that I particularly liked, so my Caldari alt is now crosstrained for a HAM Legion.

ps - Zealot style Legion won't have drones.
Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#22 - 2013-06-25 22:29:16 UTC
The answer is armor fleet incursions. Big smile

It is the ship of choice to the point where you will see entire fleets of them with only other ship being logi.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#23 - 2013-06-25 22:34:40 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
curse or pilgrim does it better.

I'd say that Neut Legion >>>>> Neut Pilgrim and Neut Ashimmu.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-06-25 22:39:11 UTC
Liang Nuren wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

-Liang

my bad, I should have only said curse does it better.
destiny2
Decaying Rocky Odious Non Evil Stupid Inane Nobody
Rogue Drone Recovery Syndicate
#25 - 2013-06-25 23:26:23 UTC
Hakaimono wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
No ammo in wh.

This basically.
Even though Blood Raiders and Sansha are weak to EM, the neuts and TD makes the Tengu preferable for some since neither affects missiles.

cough ham legion cough
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#26 - 2013-06-25 23:33:24 UTC
The Legion is good at being a small ship killer in PvE in Incursions and Wormholes, also it can run a pretty beastly armor buffer + HAM setup that is used fairly often in WH T3 Fleets. Good dps and good tank but lacks projection on the HAM fit.
Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#27 - 2013-06-25 23:46:14 UTC
Ciyrine wrote:
Were almost on the 2nd page of this topic and except for one guy its all been about how legion cant do anything even remotely competantly its just that bad.

Yeah... I covered one area where it can make for a good ship, but you apparently want to ignore/dismiss it because it was a PvE aspect and you're apparently not looking for that. Not my fault on that regard, you didn't specify PvP work in the OP.

Ciyrine wrote:
Do u guys seriously believe this imbalance will continue after the 're' balance?

Given how players screw with things yes, yes I do. I also "seriously" think that T3s won't see any sort of balancing until the winter expansion if not next summer's expansion. If CCP continues in order of "just how outdated is it really" a lot of T2 ships will come in before T3 ships, and CCP will probably want to be a bit more careful with them than they were with T1 ships. That's not including the upcoming industrial update, further "polish passes" to already updated ships, and so on.

Ciyrine wrote:
So, if we pretend that the legion doesnt suck how would u fit it? Id post my fit but with no pvp exp i just get laughed at. So lets skip that step.

All my legion builds are PvE so they, as the one I did post, wouldn't be useful to you.
Liang Nuren
No Salvation
Divine Damnation
#28 - 2013-06-25 23:48:17 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Liang Nuren wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

-Liang

my bad, I should have only said curse does it better.

The Curse merely does it different.

-Liang

I'm an idiot, don't mind me.

Ginger Barbarella
#29 - 2013-06-25 23:48:32 UTC
Ciyrine wrote:
What is its next best function? Even if there are better ships for the task what else do people use the legion for? I ask because its gonna take me a while to train for the legion and t3s are gonna be rebalanced so im predicting that my training into the legion will prove to be worthwhile

I had a Legion for a while for high sec missioning. Then I got a Nightmare. Happily sold the Legion.

Niche? Maybe what the T3 was originally intended for, but the other T3's still do WH space better. It's meh.

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Jack Miton
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-06-25 23:56:16 UTC
Legion is bad pretty much universally.
Only thing it is better for than a tengu is neuts and incursions. Armour boost too i guess.

There is no Bob.

Stuck In Here With Me:  http://sihwm.blogspot.com.au/

Down the Pipe:  http://feeds.feedburner.com/CloakyScout

Jill Antaris
Jill's Open Incursion Corp
#31 - 2013-06-26 00:17:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jill Antaris
Ireland VonVicious wrote:
The answer is armor fleet incursions. Big smile

It is the ship of choice to the point where you will see entire fleets of them with only other ship being logi.

Legion gangs where phased out as armor incision fleet doctrine last year after the VG changes...

Mr Floydy wrote:
But yeh, mainly it looks bloody cool :D

+1 skilled it for the look, learned to like it for Incursions and plexing, since it does pretty good dps at a lot of ranges, got a very good resist profile, can sig tank very good and shines when you have to deal with lots of small targets. While it isn't as good as the tengu for kinetic weak targets, against npcs without high EM resits it does a fairly decent job.
Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#32 - 2013-06-26 01:49:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Victoria Sin
Ciyrine wrote:
What is its next best function? Even if there are better ships for the task what else do people use the legion for? I ask because its gonna take me a while to train for the legion and t3s are gonna be rebalanced so im predicting that my training into the legion will prove to be worthwhile

I have a legion for WH, which is pimped to **** and can do C1 - C3 easily, and a warpy/cloaky Legion for doing null sec anoms up to 7/10. To be honest I haven't had an 8/10 to try it out in, but it does 7/10 easily against EM/Therm rats (provided you use your brain, usually in the last room).

I was going to get one as a gang booster, but looking at the available stats and fits, I'm thinking I'll train up for a Damnation instead.
Hakaimono
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2013-06-26 02:24:24 UTC
destiny2 wrote:
Hakaimono wrote:
Caleidascope wrote:
No ammo in wh.

This basically.
Even though Blood Raiders and Sansha are weak to EM, the neuts and TD makes the Tengu preferable for some since neither affects missiles.

cough ham legion cough

Doh! Forgot about that
Froggy Storm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#34 - 2013-06-26 09:17:30 UTC
Op, firstly I have to agree with the aesthetics of the Lego. I flew it pretty much dedicated for a while and love it. If you are strictly looking PvP wise however the Lego just doesn't fit very well in the current meta of the game.

As a laser ahac for example, the utility and extra tank just are not enough to make up for the cost difference on the zealot.

For fast SIG tank gangs the T1 cruiser rebalance was the nail in the coffin for all the T3s

The place I have seen legion really shine is in support fleets to super cap engagements. The neut power + heavy tank and low sig make it attractive for meeting out blap dreds and keeping them that way.

But of your hoping to see legion fleets the way you see tengu fleets where cost is no issue, the shield/speed meta just doesn't support it.

Personally when profession sites had rats I found the legion outstanding in serp and blood space as an all in one fit. But since that isn't applicable your out of luck.
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-06-26 11:43:54 UTC
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Cyberin wrote:
Name one thing, other than not using much ammo...and another t3 can do it better.

Armor boosting.

Somewhat niche, but it definitely does it better than any other T3.

And a dam bulky active tank HAM version very effective, not everywhere and not in all gang types but it's a very good legion version to fly.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Cyberin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2013-06-26 12:53:33 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyberin
Onomerous wrote:
Cyberin wrote:
I fly pretty much all Amarr at the moment...and fitting a legion makes me sad.

The people saying that it doesn't use ammo actually is probably one of it's strongest points sadly...it is the worst out of all the t3 ships at everything. Name one thing, other than not using much ammo...and another t3 can do it better.

Makes me sad :(

(this isn't saying that it sucks...it can do pretty good dps, or a godly tank if fit correctly...but still, both of those can be outdone by other t3s)

Keep reading this on these forums... our Legion pilots remind me not to listen to the posts on here. There are at least 3 viable fits we use on every PVP op we run. I would say the Legion is second only to the Proteus (might even be equal) in our fleets.

PVE... completely different beast. Loki and Tengu all the way (C5/6 sites).

I didn't say that the ship isn't viable, I said that the other T3s simply do everything a little bit better.

What type of fits are they? (purpose). If it's DPS...it can be beat, tanking (except maybe armor would be a tie) it can be beat, cloaky...can be beat, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I love my Legion, it's a sexy ship and does well...but it's still the worst t3 there is when you look at everything it can do...it's more of a jack-of-all trades ship, when t3's are meant to be specialized (in my opinion).
Xequecal
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2013-06-26 13:12:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Xequecal
Ciyrine wrote:
Ive gotten that legion is worse at every task than some other ship out there. Im doing market speculation if u will. Im gambling that legion will get buffed when t3s get balanced. Since its going to take me months to get into the legion. By the time i can fly it it will probably be pretty good.

So if we ignore how ship 'x' can do it better. What is the legion supposed to do well? What build almost doesnt suck?

There's one good thing about the Legion, and that's an immense amount of powergrid with the Power Core Multiplier. With just faction items, no deadspace, in PvP you have enough grid to fit a 100mn AB and a 1600mm plate, or a 10mn MWD and two 1600mm plates, without grid mods.

The first option gives 750 DPS, 130,000 EHP, and 2,000 m/sec speed before gang mods/implants with the sig radius of a cruiser. The second gives 646 DPS, 200,000 EHP, and 1,800 m/sec speed before gang mods/implants. None of these fits need any kind of cap mods/booster so you have 3 mids to play with. You can fit web/scram/ECCM and be almost impossible to jam, or just fit dual web to really lock stuff down.

Tengu can't get anywhere close to this because of the gimped fitting stats, you can't fit 6 launchers and a MWD on a Tengu without running out of PG, let alone any shield extenders.

In PvE, nothing beats shield tanked ships, but that's not a problem with the Legion or Tengu, it's a problem with the absurdly overpowered nature of the Gist line of shield boosters. A Gistum A-type MSB and Pith X-type SBA on a Tengu results in an almost 10:1 ratio of shield boost:cap spent. No armor tanked ship can beat a 4:1 ratio on armor repaired:cap spent no matter how much isk you spend on them.

I have no idea whatsoever why they made the Gist boosters so good compared to every other shield booster and every armor repairer. The best faction MAR has a base of 360 repair for 180 cap. The best faction MSB has a base of 90 shield boosted for 60 cap. The best deadspace MAR has a base of 468 repaired for 180 cap. The best deadspace MSB has a base of 170 shield boosted for 38 cap. Going from a faction to a deadspace armor tank is a 30% increase in efficiency, going from a faction to a deadspace shield tank is a 298% increase in efficiency.....
Caius Sivaris
Dark Nexxus
#38 - 2013-06-26 13:37:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Caius Sivaris
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

LOL no, it's pretty easy to permarun 6 medium neuts in a Legion, while actually having enough EHP to not be swatted in the first seconds of a fight.

Ciyrine wrote:
Ive gotten that legion is worse at every task than some other ship out there.

You just got a taste of the awfulness of those forums (people that know what they are talking about tend to do it elsewhere, and many of them are banned here anyway). Legions are the backbone of some of the most successful fleet format (e.g. Verge of Collapse).
Onomerous
Caldari Black Hand
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#39 - 2013-06-26 14:32:15 UTC
Caius Sivaris wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

LOL no, it's pretty easy to permarun 6 medium neuts in a Legion, while actually having enough EHP no not be swatted in the first seconds of a fight.

Ciyrine wrote:
Ive gotten that legion is worse at every task than some other ship out there.

You just got a taste of the awfulness of those forums (people that know what they are talking about tend to do it elsewhere, and many of them are banned here anyway). Legions are the backbone of some of the most successful fleet format (e.g. Verge of Collapse).

+1
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#40 - 2013-06-26 16:55:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Syrias Bizniz
What can the legion do? Battleshipish EHP with Battlecruiser DPS and application and cruiser signature while zooming around at 1500m/s with an 100mn AB and switching to maneuverable 10mn AB once closed in.

Then again, why would anyone ever want to have something like this? Can't wait to stop being a lazy dude and actually make the ISK to fly these things in a PvP environment.

To all you 'Legion is so bad' people: No. The Legion is fine, only the Covert Subsystem is really weak. Giving it 25mbit of drones + 75m³ bay as well/or launcher hardpoints would make it... already kind of good!
And the other Tech 3s are probably going to brought in-line with the legion once the balancepass hits them rather than vice-versa.
Previous page123Next page