These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ganking?

First post
Author
Etranie
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-06-24 21:59:04 UTC
First things first, let me introduce myself so you can understand me better ;)

I've been supporting Eve since 2005, playing a few months when I could and always (or almost) using those wonderful free days (that are the main reason why I pay when I can :P ) but I've never implied really with the game.
Don't take me wrong, I love it, but is just not my style.

Anyway, my character has been always training skills while doing some missions to earn cash and buy more skills or better equipment.

This time I was doing the same with the addition that my clone is on what's now Caldari territory... it was Gallente last time I checked thoug xD
During my three days of play I've encountered players with an orange star (that I just discovered means 'PK' ) who not only destroy my new ship but also kill me so a clone is activated.

Why??
I mean... why so much? The place sure is 0.6 security but these guys are near a quest cluster! (In my case: Tevis Jak in the Tar system).
I understand some pvp is needed and is funny when you have a chance, I mean at least let my damn warp go faster so I can make a run for a station or something!

Or if anyone has some good advice is also appreciated ^_^
Rutger Janssen
Chanuur
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2013-06-24 22:01:05 UTC
Etranie wrote:

I've been supporting Eve since 2005, playing a few months when I could and always (or almost) using those wonderful free days (that are the main reason why I pay when I can :P ) but I've never implied really with the game.

Anyway, my character has been always training skills while doing some missions to earn cash and buy more skills or better equipment.

This time I was doing the same with the addition that my clone is on what's now Caldari territory... it was Gallente last time I checked thoug xD
During my three days of play I've encountered players with an orange star (that I just discovered means 'PK' ) who not only destroy my new ship but also kill me so a clone is activated.

Why??
I mean... why so much? The place sure is 0.6 security but these guys are near a quest cluster! (In my case: Tevis Jak in the Tar system).
I understand some pvp is needed and is funny when you have a chance, I mean at least let my damn warp go faster so I can make a run for a station or something!

You're in faction warfare. Ofcourse you're gonna get killed by the opposite side. Afaik they get LP/isk whatever for it.
QuakeGod
Empire Manufacturing
#3 - 2013-06-24 22:03:27 UTC
You mean you've been playing EVE off and on since 2005 and this is the first time you've been ganked, or apparently, even knew gankers existed?

Gankers are everywhere. You can get ganked while running missions, mining, transporting cargo, or even for no reason at all.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#4 - 2013-06-24 22:05:32 UTC
It's not really considered ganking if you are at war with the person who killed you.

You can minimize the chances of losing your ship by leaving the militia.

Mr Epeen Cool
Pewty McPew
EVE Corporation 2357451
#5 - 2013-06-24 22:07:23 UTC
Etranie wrote:

Why??

Welcome to faction warfare. Working as intended.

Don't fly expensive sihps w/officer mods.

Train cloaking and covert ops.

Profit $$$
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#6 - 2013-06-24 22:16:52 UTC
You are part of the Federal Defense Union, which is colloquially known as the Gallente militia. It is part of a section of gameplay called Faction Warfare, which revolves around an ongoing war between militias of the 4 major empires over controlling certain lowsec regions. The Gallente are allied with the Minmatar, and are at war with the Caldari and Amarr.

FW is largely a venue for finding lowsec PvP fights, or making money in lowsec (through LP gains from FW missions or capturing complexes). If you are not interested in either of those, I recommend you quit the militia, as you are only putting yourself at further risk from enemies trying to hunt you down in hisec (as has apparently happened to you).

If you do plan to continue in FW, I recommend looking up some PvP guides and joining a PvP corp or player group who can give you more "live" feedback on what's happening, or what went right/wrong. You can also group up with them and collaborate (be it in shooting things or whatever else).

Not sure how constructive the feedback you get here will be, but consider posting further new player questions in New Citizens Q&A. The crowd there tends to be a bit more tolerant of beginner mistakes.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Alua Oresson
Alcorp Unlimited
#7 - 2013-06-24 22:27:25 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:

Not sure how constructive the feedback you get here will be, but consider posting further new player questions in New Citizens Q&A. The crowd there tends to be a bit more tolerant of beginner mistakes.

Did you even look at how old the character is? It's not a new character.

To OP, if you don't want people shooting you in your blinged out tristan, then leave faction warfare, otherwise do some research.

http://pvpwannabe.blogspot.com/

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#8 - 2013-06-24 22:28:21 UTC
Alua Oresson wrote:
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:

My experience with Eve tells me that you're never too old to be a newbie at something.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Norm Tempesta
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-06-24 23:31:13 UTC
Kind of weird that a faction warfare toon wonders why people are shooting them.

Do you not know what faction warfare is?

Are you trolling?

Strange post is all I can say.
Pewty McPew
EVE Corporation 2357451
#10 - 2013-06-24 23:41:38 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
Alua Oresson wrote:
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:

My experience with Eve tells me that you're never too old to be a newbie at something.

QFT
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#11 - 2013-06-24 23:58:48 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:

This man speaks the truth.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Litair
Nleesh
#12 - 2013-06-25 01:06:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Litair
Most people in EVE generally find it extremely arousing to ruin other people's lives in whatever way they can, for some awkward reason I'll never understand, but that's the way it is no less.

Ganking people doing quests in expensive ships tends to maximize the damage they do while keeping the risk low as the ship probably won't be fit for handling PvP, so that is of course their wet dream.. And as others have pointed out, being in faction warfare kinda allows some of them to live out that wet dream and gank you, without getting pwned by concord.

In some cases they'll suicide gank you anyway, but that's fairly rare for running missions.

As for killing your pod.. Well it's just a matter of boosting their epeens a bit extra, there is obviously no tactical reason to do that in most random encounters.
Etranie
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-06-25 10:14:34 UTC
Pewty McPew wrote:

Welcome to faction warfare. Working as intended.

Don't fly expensive sihps w/officer mods.

Train cloaking and covert ops.

Profit $$$

Thanks for the advice!

Alua Oresson wrote:
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:

To OP, if you don't want people shooting you in your blinged out tristan, then leave faction warfare, otherwise do some research.

It's been so long I feel like I need the Q&A ^_^

To the rest of you, thanks for the comments! I forgot to check the militia and etc.. Community like this one is why I love Eve :D

I think I might be around for a while again ;)
Gibbo3771
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#14 - 2013-06-25 11:31:37 UTC
Quite funny, you have been playing for 8 years on and off, come back every so often and never read dev blogs to see all the new and awesome changes and then you are confused by what xyz means.

You also use the word quests which afaik, are non existant.

Perhaps you should stop playing and keep it that way?
Ranek Tes
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-06-25 11:43:52 UTC
Gibbo3771 wrote:
Quite funny, you have been playing for 8 years on and off, come back every so often and never read dev blogs to see all the new and awesome changes and then you are confused by what xyz means.

So, because he's not the nerdy type who knows it all, which you obviously do he's not allowed to play a game casually?!

Oh, and I am sorry to hear your mental capacity has deteriorated to the point where you cannot comprehend the complexity of the word quest. I can inform you that it is pretty much the same as a mission. I.e. a quest or a mission both usually consists of a player getting a task from an NPC (here I assume you know what an NPC is?) wherein you are most often tasked with killing a certain number of NPCs and then returning to the quest/mission giving NPC.

Need further explanation? Please don't hesitate to ask - I may even bother answering.
Litair
Nleesh
#16 - 2013-06-25 21:33:28 UTC
Ranek Tes wrote:
Gibbo3771 wrote:

So, because he's not the nerdy type who knows it all, which you obviously do he's not allowed to play a game casually?!

Oh, and I am sorry to hear your mental capacity has deteriorated to the point where you cannot comprehend the complexity of the word quest. I can inform you that it is pretty much the same as a mission. I.e. a quest or a mission both usually consists of a player getting a task from an NPC (here I assume you know what an NPC is?) wherein you are most often tasked with killing a certain number of NPCs and then returning to the quest/mission giving NPC.

Need further explanation? Please don't hesitate to ask - I may even bother answering.

Indeed, if you're the old school type you could also choose to embark on a personal quest for justice and glory or so.
Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#17 - 2013-06-25 21:51:35 UTC
I blame CCP. They should have been a little clearer on the war part of faction WAR fare...

They are just bad people. It must be that Iceland air. Stoopid see see pee.

R.I.P. Vile Rat

Denidil
Cascades Mountain Operatives
#18 - 2013-06-25 21:54:03 UTC
i smell troll

Tedium and difficulty are not the same thing, if you don't realize this then STFU about game design.

Ioci
Bad Girl Posse
#19 - 2013-06-25 21:58:32 UTC
Denidil wrote:
i smell troll

That was me. I was swimming in a public pool today. Sorry.

R.I.P. Vile Rat