These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Plex for gpu or hardware?

Author
Roy Hawkinz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-06-24 12:17:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Roy Hawkinz
I like to refer back to the last Nvidia promotion the gpus were gone in like 38 seconds. Is this not a sign that people want more off this?

I was expecting a similar annoucement in fanfest 2013 but it never happend. I know people might complain this will become a form off RMT but is this not were the future off gaming is going to? CCP is doing a good job banning botters so more isk is legit earned.

In the game In diablo III you had the real cash auction house it was a 50/50 succes but they failed to hold the economy stable. But the eve economy rocks.

What do you think about this? You think plex for hardware should come into the game? Of course still holded stable so you don't get one guy ordering 20 videocards to his address.

Selling fanfest tickets for plex is also a good move btw. I like that one.
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2 - 2013-06-24 14:39:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
how would this make ccp money?

You talk about diablo 3 as if you don't realize that graphics cards aren't made of pixels and the same thing as vidya game armor.
There are poor neckbeard trillionares in this game who would jump at the chance to make money to buy totinos party pizzas with isk.

Then you want to jack up plex prices for those of us who don't want to pay for graphics cards with plex, higher plex prices have not been know to increase the number of people who buy plex very much.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Mr Doctor
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#3 - 2013-06-24 14:41:12 UTC
Because it uses up plex and plex is money.

It would also drive the price of plex through the roof and they dont want to do that.
Vesan Terakol
Trollgrin Sadface
Dark Taboo
#4 - 2013-06-24 14:54:09 UTC
I'd love to see the PLEX system expanded to the eve store (as well as the EVE store's content expanded), altho in order for such a decision to be viable, the amount of purchased PLEXes should be able to catch up with the demand on the market. And if you recall from Fanfest, one of the major topics was the PLEX depletion on the market, causing CCP intervention. And one can imagine that expanding the PLEX purchases to other aspects of EVE will definitely affect their flux through the market.
Roy Hawkinz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-06-24 20:05:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Roy Hawkinz
Well judging from the few reactions a permanent solution does not seem a good idea. While I think it can plex prices are very stable in me eyes for years now. (Well player controlled). But thats me personal thinking. But promotions like gpus ones in a while or even the collector edition for plex can't hurt? Like 5 plex for a CCP dev shirt I would buy that lol. I think the that last gpu promotion got very well recieved. If they do it again with new gpu I don't mind to buy one to upgrade me computer.

Also I think there has been talked about it internaly the pros and cons. I even readed a document about it a year ago but can't place it from what. That they were thinking about more solutions with plex could fit but controlled.

So not know if they talked about it the last 6 to 8 months? I would like to hear a dev about that or csm. Thats also one off me reasons for this topic. Did things got changed?
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-06-24 20:11:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Commander Ted
Roy Hawkinz wrote:
While I think it can plex prices are very stable in me eyes for years now. (Well player controlled).

The prices have reached an equilibrium recently but less than a year ago prices were uncontrollable and were going up every month.
This change would put the equilibrium higher meaning that prices will be stable but way to high. Fewer people will buy plex for subscriptions and the number of people buying plex would probably not rise as much, at the same time this will make CCP lose money because instead of taking the money they were getting from plex into maintaining the game and making updates that money will go into buying graphics cards for absolutely 0 business reason.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=174097 Separate all 4 empires in eve with lowsec.

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#7 - 2013-06-24 20:27:27 UTC
Commander Ted wrote:
Roy Hawkinz wrote:
While I think it can plex prices are very stable in me eyes for years now. (Well player controlled).

The prices have reached an equilibrium recently but less than a year ago prices were uncontrollable and were going up every month.
This change would put the equilibrium higher meaning that prices will be stable but way to high. Fewer people will buy plex for subscriptions and the number of people buying plex would probably not rise as much, at the same time this will make CCP lose money because instead of taking the money they were getting from plex into maintaining the game and making updates that money will go into buying graphics cards for absolutely 0 business reason.

Add that it would be used by RMT companies as legal way to turn isk into money, various shipment and customs problems and you'll have a reason why it should not be done ever again.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Zanzbar
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-06-25 02:32:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Zanzbar
Commander Ted wrote:
Roy Hawkinz wrote:

every acount active is being subed in some way and ccp is getting their money either way, so if plex money goes into buying GPUs more plex or gametimes will haved to be purchsed by players anyways. the money is just flowing through ccp as a third party on the way to nvidia

however as the post above pointed out this has the potential for rmt abuse
Gigan Amilupar
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#9 - 2013-06-25 04:41:45 UTC
Bad idea. As it stands, when a player buys a PLEX they buy it from CCP and thus CCP makes additional profit. If PLEX's could be traded to CCP then what the creates is a situation where CCP loses money on every PLEX traded in, since most cheap GPU's (that are decent) a probably close to 100 bucks. So why would CCP do this and immediately take a loss on their profits? The only reason PLEX's work in their current form is because they have to be bought from CCP initially, and thus CCP doesn't actually lose any money. And this is completely ignoring all the issues with the incredibly abusive RMTing that would occur.
Mr Doctor
Star Nation
Goonswarm Federation
#10 - 2013-06-25 04:56:37 UTC
It wouldnt be at a loss though.... CCP get the money and then some. Especially since that GPU promo last year cost over 50% more in plex(converting to sub cost, not overbloated plex cost) than buying one with real money.

Also, such bullsh*t the price of buying a months sub vs buying a plex from CCP. There should be parity between the two.... which would probably help balance out plex price in game too.
sabre906
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-06-25 05:06:56 UTC
Some people are under the impression that Graphics cards are free, therefore CCP can give these away for plex, thus making money...Roll

So how does it benefit CCP to buy back that plex it managed to sell from you by paying you merchandise that CCP has to buy from others?
Arya Regnar
Darwins Right Hand
#12 - 2013-06-25 07:22:02 UTC
I think this *improvement* idea actually beats scannable cloakies.

In being awfully stupid.

EvE-Mail me if you need anything.

eric textme
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-06-25 07:29:57 UTC
I agree I could use another titan :)

and what better way than to use the ISK i work hard for
eric textme
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#14 - 2013-06-25 07:38:01 UTC
Mr Doctor wrote:
Because it uses up plex and plex is money.

It would also drive the price of plex through the roof and they dont want to do that.

i dont remember if it really did that much, i think i stopped playing for a few months leading up to it.

i do think in long term it probably would for a short term maybe more so. maybe not really.
eric textme
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-06-25 07:40:33 UTC
sabre906 wrote:
Some people are under the impression that Graphics cards are free, therefore CCP can give these away for plex, thus making money...Roll

So how does it benefit CCP to buy back that plex it managed to sell from you by paying you merchandise that CCP has to buy from others?

since PLEX is a vertual good ANY they sell is work infianate profit, since they have essentially NO overhead for it.

so if they say each plex is 20 bucks and a gpu is 500 then you need 25 plex to buy it, tack on maybe 5 more and for 30 plex you can get a 770 or what ever lol

not to mention i am sure nvidia is not selling them to ccp for full price.

they prob wouldnt have done it to lose money, MAYBE ONLY if it was for some form of advertising. BUT the end result is to MAKE money of course.
Roy Hawkinz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-06-25 09:06:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Roy Hawkinz
Personaly I think less people will RMT if such options are available and just let chinese not order to their adresses? While not want to by discriminating but CCP can see quick enough of its a bad or good case.

But more saying it it was up now I would have done it to upgrade me current gpu. :)

But if this a good or bad idea I thought I hear CCP having more plans with it so would like to have a confirm or not from them. I don't need to know inside details those are secret just a yes or no.

Weird btw I don't hear any off the guys talking that bought the gpus those 38 seconds and the ones trying to get one. I was expecting this topic to explode lol.
Commander Ted
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-06-25 14:30:08 UTC
Zanzbar wrote:

every acount active is being subed in some way and ccp is getting their money either way, so if plex money goes into buying GPUs more plex or gametimes will haved to be purchsed by players anyways. the money is just flowing through ccp as a third party on the way to nvidia

This would cause there to be less active accounts by raising plex prices.

Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#18 - 2013-06-25 16:44:22 UTC
sabre906 wrote:

Technically, they could sell a 100$ graphic card for 120$ worth of PLEX and still turn a profit. Wait am I providing point in favor of something that would be abused more for RTM than it would be legitly used?

Damn...
Frostys Virpio
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-06-25 16:45:45 UTC
Commander Ted wrote:
Zanzbar wrote:

This would cause there to be less active accounts by raising plex prices.

Might make more people buy PLEX to sell for ISK too tho since the value would be better. Anyone has a graph of PLEX purchase linked to PLEX market price too see if there is any correlation?