These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

A miner's big brother

Author
Shizuken
Venerated Stars
#21 - 2013-06-22 22:35:22 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
So how, exactly, do you propose to protect the miners when most losses are from suicide ganks in high sec?

Mr Epeen Cool
Increase the cost of ships. Make a trained crew give significant bonuses to operational strength. Clamp down on the ability of toons with low sec status to operate in highsec.

Those are just a few ways
Domer Pyle
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2013-06-22 23:05:49 UTC
i heard Elyham runs a mining buddy program. you guys should look into it.

"Imagine if the bars to your prison were all you had ever known. Then one day, someone appears and unlocks the door. If they have the power to do this, then are they really the liberator? You never remembered who it was that closed you in." - Ior Labron

Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2013-06-22 23:08:07 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
So how, exactly, do you propose to protect the miners when most losses are from suicide ganks in high sec?

Mr Epeen Cool

You couldn't, but that said, if I could "summon" ,for lack of a better term, my defenders from within the system or nearby systems then I would mine in lowsec and nullsec far more.

The current advantage is so heavily screwed to the ganker(s) that running a serious mining op anyplace but highsec or a quiet nullsec systems borders on insanity.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#24 - 2013-06-22 23:32:18 UTC
Alias Tatan wrote:
I'm taking any ideas you have to fix this problem but as we will replace their ship and kill the attacker, I see no problem

'Kill the attacker.'

Sure you will. In hisec, there will be nothing to kill. They'll have ganked, been CONCORDed, and warped off. You might get their suspect pod, but probably not. They'll have their lulz, and you'll be dishing out to return those deposits.

In low and null, you'll maybe kill a tackle ship, but be completely impotent versus whatever sniping vessels or bombers they've warped in at range to pop both the barges, and then some of you.

Sell shield extenders and DC IIs to miners. You'll be doing them a greater service.
Freakdevil
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-06-23 01:14:48 UTC
Empire miners are cheap and stupid. Why would anyone care if they died?
Skill Training Online
Doomheim
#26 - 2013-06-23 01:15:35 UTC
Freakdevil wrote:
Empire miners are cheap and stupid. Why would anyone care if they died?

Ampire miners keep prices down on the goods you need the most, ever look out how manie items use tritanium? like all of them bro.

Thank You Obama!

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#27 - 2013-06-23 01:29:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Alias Tatan wrote:
ganking usually occurs to get the ore so if you remove the ore from the equation u dramatically decrease the chance of a gank.

You're naive if you believe that ganks occur to get the ore, ganks occur because people don't fit tanks, go afk and expect others not to violate their ships for shiggles, other good reasons to gank someone are hate mail and chat logs.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Bloody Wench
#28 - 2013-06-23 01:41:35 UTC
Seriously why do you put up with all this crap?

Move out of hisec.

Wormholes, Low, Null.

I can't keep the damn Ore sites from shitting up my WH, I trigger them every day but no sooner has 1 de-spawned another one shows up.

[u]**Shepard Wong Ogeko wrote: **[/u]  CCP should not only make local delayed in highsec, but they should also require one be undocked to use it. Then, even the local spammers have some skin in the game. Support a High Resolution Texture Pack

Anti-social Tendencies
Society for Miner Education
#29 - 2013-06-23 02:07:24 UTC
Lord Mandelor wrote:
There already exists a miner protection service.
It's called a New Order mining permit.

Hm... Last I checked the New Order didn't protect miners , it just extorted ISK out of them in exchange for not harassing them. You aren't seriously suggesting that that the New Order will stand watch over the miners and keep them from getting banked?

"Patience: n, a minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue." - AMBROSE PIERCE

Anti-social Tendencies
#30 - 2013-06-23 02:11:31 UTC
[quote=Domanique Altares

Sell shield extenders and DC IIs to miners. You'll be doing them a greater service. [/quote]

Very true. Unfortunately in my experience, miners simply don't get it. The mining barge rebalance was a huge boon to miners. Now they could have a reasonable tank and a reasonable cargo hold. Unfortunately, many miners have chosen to ignore the options open to them for tanking and simple fit a max yield ship and wonder why they die.

Jafit McJafitson
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2013-06-23 02:52:08 UTC
Shizuken wrote:
Increase the cost of ships. Make a trained crew give significant bonuses to operational strength. Clamp down on the ability of toons with low sec status to operate in highsec.

Those are just a few ways

There is an old Indian story, about a king long ago. The king said "The ground is intolerably rough and it hurts our feet, we should slaughter thousands of cattle and cover the rough earth with their skins." But an advisor in his court said "No sire, we should slaughter a few cattle and bind their skins to our feet, so that we may have protection wherever we go" - And so it came to be that shoes were worn.

You are the kind of person who wants to change the world in order to solve your problems, when a more sensible approach is to adapt your tactics to the environment that you find yourself in.

You and every other short-sighted whining publord, needs to stop demanding that the world be carpeted to protect your dainty little feet, and go put on a pair of shoes.

Such 'shoes' include:

• Fitting for EHP
  • Mining in ships that can easily be replaced
  • Mining in one of the thousands of uninhabited nullsec or wormhole systems (so that you know everybody is a threat)
  • Working together with other players because Eve is a multiplayer game
  • Accepting the risk that comes from maximizing your mining yield while not paying attention to the game

And yeah OP, there's no way your service is going to work, because highsec miners are stupid and can't comrpomise on their isk/hour to take steps to ensure their safety. They deserve to have their ships destroyed repeatedly. Let them die. In fact you'll probably earn more money killing them than you would protecting them, and it'll be more fun.
Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#32 - 2013-06-23 03:34:03 UTC
Anti-social Tendencies wrote:

Very true. Unfortunately in my experience, miners simply don't get it. The mining barge rebalance was a huge boon to miners. Now they could have a reasonable tank and a reasonable cargo hold. Unfortunately, many miners have chosen to ignore the options open to them for tanking and simple fit a max yield ship and wonder why they die.

Essentially this. People who do that are something beyond miners, or carebears, or loweseccers or whatever.

They're idiots.

And idiots deserve to die.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Anti-social Tendencies
#33 - 2013-06-23 07:16:02 UTC
Robus Muvila wrote:
Anti-social Tendencies wrote:

Essentially this. People who do that are something beyond miners, or carebears, or loweseccers or whatever.

They're idiots.

And idiots deserve to die.

Yeah, I don't agree with your attitude. I think there are two problems the miners face.

First, many of these miners don't yet grasp the nature of Eve. They still suffer from the misconception that hisec should be "safe". I suffered from this as well for a long time. In time, they will learn and adapt, or they quit.

The second issue is simply that some are slow to grasp the mechanics of the game. They learn quickly how to fit ships for production, but are slow to learn how to fit for survival. However they do learn. In the space of two weeks , many miners in a region that I frequent have learned to adapt. Where we used to see a lot of untanked Rets and Mack's, we now see a lot of procurers or heavily tanked Mack's.

Whenever I suggest to newer players that they might want to consider fitting their mining ships with some tank I'm usually ignored . Well, I've found a more effective way to encourage their education.

Benjamin Artoriana
Porpoises with a Purpose
#34 - 2013-06-23 20:23:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Benjamin Artoriana
Mining is easy if you accept the following basic principles.

1. There is no such thing as safe space.
2. There is no such thing as safe space.
3. If in doubt see #'s 1 & 2.
4. Always check your six (paranoia and d-scan ftw),
5. Never AFK anything.
6. Don't ****-fit your mining ships. Tank accordingly.
7. Don't be an asshat after getting ganked. (See #5)
8. Don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
9. The CODE is Law.

Don't fly Retriever/Covetor or Mack/Hulk unless you know how to tank them. Don't think in terms of max yield, but rather in terms of balance/survivability. You can get loads of EHP from a properly tanked Procurer or Skiff. Make yourself a "non-target" or somewhat of an undesirable gank-magnet and understand that gankers/"code-enforcers" use scouts to scan you before they gank you. They don't chase after or gank those that will survive.

Number 8 is the most common mistake. You have mined and skilled to a certain level allowing you to finally buy (invest) that first Exhumer but you absolutely refuse to put enough EHP on it. Sorry, but you Sir or Madam are an asshat of the first order.

If you can't understand this, then pay the fee to the New Order or whomever is making your life in EVE hazardous to get them off your back.

Something, something, don't be an idiot. Blah, blah, I love EVE and goats.

Alias Tatan
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-06-24 01:25:55 UTC
Rule number 6 is vital, I alwas fly with a huge tank, to quote one of my friends "mining upgrades are a one way ticket to the pod express". Always fit your ships with tank and go for those T2 drones.
destiny2
Decaying Rocky Odious Non Evil Stupid Inane Nobody
Rogue Drone Recovery Syndicate
#36 - 2013-06-24 04:24:36 UTC
make an alt put him in a t1 logi cruiser, problem solved. ive been mining for years in hs on my alts not one of them have been suicide ganked.
Paul Leonard Kersey
Doomheim
#37 - 2013-06-24 04:29:31 UTC
you all got trolled 6/10
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#38 - 2013-06-24 04:30:27 UTC
destiny2 wrote:
make an alt put him in a t1 logi cruiser, problem solved. ive been mining for years in hs on my alts not one of them have been suicide ganked.

Somebody will probably correct that oversight in the near future, and the T1 logi won't save you, it'll probably explode at around the same time.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Arduemont
Rotten Legion
#39 - 2013-06-24 04:42:17 UTC
Damage control, Shield Extender Rigs, A small Shield Booster and Invuln field on a Mackinaw. Good shield skills on top of that.

The above is all you need to protect you. Unless they really really really want to kill you, and then there is nothing you can do about it.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Sex Slave Girl
Dragonfire Industries
#40 - 2013-06-24 17:29:55 UTC
Bloody Wench wrote:
Seriously why do you put up with all this crap?

Move out of hisec.

Wormholes, Low, Null.

I can't keep the damn Ore sites from shitting up my WH, I trigger them every day but no sooner has 1 de-spawned another one shows up.

Mining in wormholes, low and null is too hard, once the pvp griefers know it, they'll camp 23/7 with cloaky scouts, black ops hot drops and more.

You need a staging fleet with 5 to 15 members on standby with fighter ships in order to counter that, which will nobody be doing.

I mean, you can stil pull it off with scouts out, and try to have a mining ops with macks and orca's. But it's just to far risky.

Imagine if Mackinaws costs 1500 isk, you would see loads of them in nullsec, mining.
Previous page123Next page