These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Odyssey 1.1] Nosferatu mechanic change

First post First post
Author
Alskari
Sheriff.
Caldari Tactical Operations Command
#81 - 2013-06-19 23:24:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Alskari
Capacitor batteries are already of extremely limited use and this change will make them even worse.

Also I'm glad that the Armageddon had about two weeks of being useful.
Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2013-06-19 23:36:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Freighdee Katt
As noted above, the biggest problem with them atm, especially as "neut defense" is that they're just too weak. So make them do something really interesting:

Rather than leeching a fixed and pretty trivial amount, make them more potent the lower your cap is. So, rather than leeching X, what they leech is 1/2 of the difference between your current absolute cap level and your max cap amount. If you are bone dry at 0 out of 500 cap, this means that in one cycle one NOS would restore 1/2 of your total cap (250) (and subtract that same amount from the target). If you are at 400 out of 500, then it would leech only 50 cap.

To keep you from getting 100% cap recharge in one shot, apply a steep stacking penalty to them. So one NOS would work on the ratio of 1/2 of your cap gap. Two would restore 2/3 of the gap between your current level and full. Three would restore 3/4, 4 would give 4/5, etc.

To keep everyone from just fitting small NOSes on everything, limit the total allowable amount of leech at a class-appropriate value. So a small NOS could never leech more than a value that is 1/2 of the average total cap for frigate hulls. Medium NOS could never deliver more than 1/2 the average fill for a cruiser cap pool, etc.

It could still be subject to the same limit already imposed; target has to have more absolute cap than the amount that you have, in order for the module to leech anything.

Another alternative, which I am guessing would be hard to do with your current module mechanics, would be to multiply the cycle time of the module by whatever your current cap percentage is. So if you're at 20% cap the cycle time would be reduced by 80%. You could limit this scaling so that at 10% cap or less the module would have 90% shorter cycle time, to keep it from ever getting to zero.

Either way, this would actually make them potent as a real neut defense, which as explained above they're pretty useless for as they are today.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

Edward Olmops
Gunboat Commando
#83 - 2013-06-19 23:45:32 UTC
While you are at it... could you please make the Skill Energy Emission Systems affect NOS modules somehow?
It always seemed odd to me that you have this skill for a group of related mods, but then it does not affect part of them.
(maybe balancing them in a way that the skill increases drain amount by cutting a real or theoretic activation cost)
Sakura Nihil
Faded Light
#84 - 2013-06-19 23:47:35 UTC
Yes please. This is a change I can get behind.
Spyres
Falsify Holdings
#85 - 2013-06-20 00:07:01 UTC
How about the nos shuts off when it reaches the ineffectual cap ratio? It would provide good feedback to the pilot of the target's cap level and save the wasted activation cost of running it at this point.
Freighdee Katt
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2013-06-20 00:14:57 UTC
Spyres wrote:
How about the nos shuts off when it reaches the ineffectual cap ratio? It would provide good feedback to the pilot of the target's cap level and save the wasted activation cost of running it at this point.

It has no activation cost. Cause if it did, then it would just be a **** poor neut. And constantly shutting off would suck when you want it to hit every chance it gets to actually do some good.

EvE is supposed to suck.  Wait . . . what was the question?

sukee tsayah
Southern Cross Silver Shields
Flying Dangerous
#87 - 2013-06-20 00:33:33 UTC
Morwen Lagann wrote:
CCP Rise wrote:
Gimme feedback o/

As someone who loves capacitor warfare, and the Curse in particular, you and the rest of the guys working on balance changes have just made my week.

THANK YOU.

yes, this. curse 4 life
rofflesausage
State War Academy
Caldari State
#88 - 2013-06-20 00:37:02 UTC
The biggest issue is just Nos full stop. The change is welcome, but it's just micro patching a bad module.

I know it's outside the scope of what you want for 1.1, but Nos just needs to change from the ground up, or have vastly more utility in fights. It's a filler module in most cases, and this isn't going to alter it.

I'd much rather have something like a "Capacitor suppressor" in the game. A module which reduces the amount of capacitor capacity a ship has, but doesn't change the recharge time. You could make them stack, have a capped maximum limit...whatever, but the result would be other people not capping out directly (use the energy neut for that), but having to manage their modules a lot more as they have less total cap capacity to play with.

Akimo Heth
State War Academy
Caldari State
#89 - 2013-06-20 00:50:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Akimo Heth
They failed to address the primary reason a NOS is inferior to a Neut in every case, PG fitting. For a "filler" module that works some of the time it takes way too much PG to fit relative to a Neut (which always works). Until that changes there's no reason to fit a NOS over a Neut. Before you say "well it helps cap regen!", plug a large deadspace NOS (the very best) into EFT and see how much it affects (or better said doesn't affect) your cap regen and decide if that is worth trading for the increased cap drained (and it always working) by a neut for essentially the same fitting.

This 'fix' changes nothing.
Galphii
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#90 - 2013-06-20 00:59:58 UTC
Reduce the fitting cost a bit, and possibly increase the amount drained too. Otherwise it's still in the realm of a novelty module.

"Wow, that internet argument completely changed my fundamental belief system," said no one, ever.

Easley Thames
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2013-06-20 01:09:26 UTC
This is a very minor improvement, but one that reduces inconsistency, which is always nice.

In truth, small nos generally does what I want it to do - keep tackle running against a medium neut.

Medium nos I find much less effective, but I think it would be worth using on a few other ships if the drain amount were a bit higher (maybe 50 for T2 instead of 36).

On the other hand, this does almost nothing for the heavy nos, which is completely unseen outside of PVE.

Tiber Ibis
The Paratwa Ka
#92 - 2013-06-20 01:21:35 UTC
CCP Rise wrote:
I have another balance announcement for our Odyssey 1.1 release to share: we are going to make NOS good again.

In ye old times, Nosferatu was fairly broken. It used to drain cap from your target regardless of how much cap your target had, and deposit it into your cap pool. This meant you could generate cap from thin air as long as you could target any ship. We had nano Dominixs permanently cap stable by draining some cap-dry frig and all kinds of other nonsense.

Unfortunately when this got addressed, it was nerfed into the ground by basing the success of the NOS activation off the relative PERCENTAGE of cap for each ship. NOS went from extremely overpowered to fairly useless. You can never depend on your opponent having a higher % cap than you, and especially not when you're using a ship that wants to win the cap war by neutralizing the enemy.

Our plan for this is fairly simple - we want to make successful NOS activation based on relative cap amount, not percentage.

This means if you turn on your NOS, and you have 125 cap in your cap pool, and your opponent has 370, the NOS works regardless of relative % cap.

The biggest effect here will most likely be that any time you're fighting up a class (frig vs cruiser, cruiser vs BS, etc) NOS will become a much more attractive choice. It also means that in fights with several ship sizes present, deciding on a target for your NOS should be more intuitive (target something big).

Gimme feedback o/

(PS - this would of course effect all sizes and all metas)

Sound like a good change, especially for frigates. +1
Lord Eremet
The Seatbelts
#93 - 2013-06-20 01:44:15 UTC
Galphii wrote:
Reduce the fitting cost a bit, and possibly increase the amount drained too. Otherwise it's still in the realm of a novelty module.

What he said. Or the module will still just be used by frigs only, and thats when they got nothing else/better to use in that utility slot.

Akturous
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2013-06-20 02:00:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Akturous
I like this, but it doesn't go far enough. The problem is nos's get you back much less cap/s than a neut of the same size kills. Nos have a faster cycle time which is good, but the cap/s should be equal between nos and neut, or at least close.

Currently a small nuet kills 9GJ/s and a small nos gives you 3.2GJ/s, it's a joke. Given nos has a half cycle time, one could accept a 100% increase, but as it stands they're pretty horrible.

I'm really not sure of any reason why a nos shouldn't get you back the same cap, it uses the same slot, same pg and MORE cpu, which balances against the quicker cycle time.

Edit, I see the current nos amount figure is based off the lvl V difference between a neuts local and targetted cap killed/cycle time. I kind of forgot about that. If you increase the nos amount/s, it would be balanced with the old % difference mechanic, but with the new way, a nos that gets back what a neut kills would be unbalanced.

Perhaps a modest decrease in cycle time, down to 2s? So that's 4.8GJ/s.

Vote Item Heck One for CSM8

Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#95 - 2013-06-20 02:13:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Garviel Tarrant
CCP Rise wrote:
I have another balance announcement for our Odyssey 1.1 release to share: we are going to make NOS good again.

In ye old times, Nosferatu was fairly broken. It used to drain cap from your target regardless of how much cap your target had, and deposit it into your cap pool. This meant you could generate cap from thin air as long as you could target any ship. We had nano Dominixs permanently cap stable by draining some cap-dry frig and all kinds of other nonsense.

Unfortunately when this got addressed, it was nerfed into the ground by basing the success of the NOS activation off the relative PERCENTAGE of cap for each ship. NOS went from extremely overpowered to fairly useless. You can never depend on your opponent having a higher % cap than you, and especially not when you're using a ship that wants to win the cap war by neutralizing the enemy.

Our plan for this is fairly simple - we want to make successful NOS activation based on relative cap amount, not percentage.

This means if you turn on your NOS, and you have 125 cap in your cap pool, and your opponent has 370, the NOS works regardless of relative % cap.

The biggest effect here will most likely be that any time you're fighting up a class (frig vs cruiser, cruiser vs BS, etc) NOS will become a much more attractive choice. It also means that in fights with several ship sizes present, deciding on a target for your NOS should be more intuitive (target something big).

Gimme feedback o/

(PS - this would of course effect all sizes and all metas)

This is pretty cool but only really buffs the nos when fighting larger opponents (We are going to be seeing nos's on a lot of fleet BS's though i recon)

I still think you should lower the cycle time on nos's to make them better at fighting off neuts. I want to fit a nos to my harbinger without being laughed at damn it and this isn't enough for that =<

Akturous wrote:
I like this, but it doesn't go far enough. The problem is nos's get you back much less cap/s than a neut of the same size kills. Nos have a faster cycle time which is good, but the cap/s should be equal between nos and neut, or at least close.

Currently a small nuet kills 9GJ/s and a small nos gives you 3.2GJ/s, it's a joke. Given nos has a half cycle time, one could accept a 100% increase, but as it stands they're pretty horrible.

I'm really not sure of any reason why a nos shouldn't get you back the same cap, it uses the same slot, same pg and MORE cpu, which balances against the quicker cycle time.

Basically this.

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Bigg Gun
T.I.E. Inc.
#96 - 2013-06-20 02:41:32 UTC
So if your cap is full but it's still less than the cap of your target, say a BS nos-ing a supercarrier, would it still take away the super carrier's cap, even though it has nowhere to put it?
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#97 - 2013-06-20 05:27:59 UTC
Freighdee Katt wrote:
As noted above, the biggest problem with them atm, especially as "neut defense" is that they're just too weak.

This certainly doesn't apply to small NOS; a small NOS can easily keep a frigate tackling a BS with a large neut for instance, because the cycle time is far smaller

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Vladimir Norkoff
Income Redistribution Service
#98 - 2013-06-20 06:57:46 UTC
As many have already said, reduce the fitting costs of Nos. It has less utility and adaptability than a Neut, so the fittings should be less.
Ambrose Oni
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#99 - 2013-06-20 07:32:35 UTC
I love the module in it's idea but I dont really like the limited potential of the module post-change.

I have a suggestion, hopefully I can math:
amount transferred = MIN(1, baserate*(theircap*(1/yourcap)))

-where theircap and yourcap are decimals (i.e if you have 10% cap left, it's 0.1). Hopefully the math is right.

This probably requires more tweaking with base rates and such (not to mention fitting requirements) but i think the idea should absolutely include:
a) the less cap they have, the less it drains - so it can't keep someone capped except maybe on a bonused hull.
b) the more cap you have, the less it drains.
These do not need to be linear relationships, they could follow a similar curve to the stacking penalty curve for multiple modules - only playtesting and smarter people than myself could get the specifics right. If a proper curve was found, the condition making the base rate the maximum could be removed.
c) i like absolute percentages rather than amounts, but I can see the appeal of creating a module which is better when up-fighting.

The comment earlier regarding Amarr problems is pretty valid too. Larger base pool for us poor suckers really screws us out of NOSing.

I pity the EFT warrior if something like this gets implemented.

I would like to point out as well, damps have sort of a dual function (target speed and target range), both of which are useful in many different ship-class fights. Can't we have something the same for amarr bonuses? Neut/nos
Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#100 - 2013-06-20 07:46:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Gypsio III
CCP Rise wrote:

This is a bad idea, at least on its own. It changes nothing about Nos in substance, or how Nos will be used.

Small Nos are relatively common and useful, being used as neut-defence on tacklers, while large Nos are virtually unused because of cycle time, drain amount, fitting requirements and the different cap requirements of heavy ships.

Your proposed change helps small Nos vaguely, but it is actually a straight nerf to large Nos because it is more likely that the numerical cap level will not be met when trying to Nos a target. You have come up with an idea that boosts the Nos that is close to balance and flat nerfs that the Nos that really needs help. Please think again.

IMO the % mechanic is fine, you just need to look at drain amounts, cycle times and fitting requirements.