These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Missions & Complexes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

What is the point of lvl4 missions?

Author
Admiral Pieg
Aztek Industries
#1 - 2013-06-19 11:44:06 UTC
If you can solo lvl4 missions it means you can fly a battleship. If you can fly a battleship, you can get into a newbie friendly incursion fleet and make far more money and lp than any lvl4. You only have to get into a HQ fleet for a couple of hours to buy a faction or pirate battleship and then its all down hill from there, so what is the point of running missions and barely make 20 mill an hour when you can make 4-5 times that amount in the same time with even less risk and effort?
Dave Stark
#2 - 2013-06-19 11:51:47 UTC
because you don't need a group of other people to do level 4 missions.

next question?
S Byerley
The Manhattan Engineer District
#3 - 2013-06-19 11:59:52 UTC
1. Other people suck
2. Other people suck
3. Logistics
4. You're underestimating mission income
5. Commitment
6. Faction grinding
7. Missile skills

Pick a few? Both strike me as unendurably boring personally.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#4 - 2013-06-19 12:26:07 UTC
I do both and since we are talking high sec incursions and high sec lvl 4 missions, I actually do way more than just that, I like all kinds of PVE. Many times Im doing high sec PVe because null sec is a bit hot for my taste and low sec can be fun or it can be a pain.

High Sec Missions have one very nice feature that no other activity in EVE has. Solitude+ safety . I deal with people all day and sometimes i don't even what to hear anyone on comms lol. in high sec I don't even have to look at local and I don't fly a loot pinata so if I get ganked it was just a random act of terror (having been suicide ganked in years).

Null sec anom farming has solitude to, but you're always having to watch local, intel, and beware of awox attemps. Incursions are GREAT fun and great isk, but it's also a lot of paying attention lol. No, if you want to be left alone to shoot red Xs, high sec missions are where it's at. it's like mining, only with guns.

Admiral Pieg
Aztek Industries
#5 - 2013-06-19 12:27:26 UTC
S Byerley wrote:
1. Other people suck
2. Other people suck
3. Logistics
5. Commitment
6. Faction grinding
7. Missile skills

There are plenty of dedicated player made channels for incursions brimming with people looking for a fleet. How am i underestimating mission income? Last i checked 20-30 mill was what you got paid if you were really good at doing missions. If you think other people suck then why are you playing a MMO? Very confusing.
Gimme more Cynos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-06-19 12:41:04 UTC
Admiral Pieg wrote:
S Byerley wrote:
1. Other people suck
2. Other people suck
3. Logistics
5. Commitment
6. Faction grinding
7. Missile skills

There are plenty of dedicated player made channels for incursions brimming with people looking for a fleet. How am i underestimating mission income? Last i checked 20-30 mill was what you got paid if you were really good at doing missions. If you think other people suck then why are you playing a MMO? Very confusing.

Last time I did Assaults/HQ's with newbie-friendly fleets, I was barely breaking 30mil/hour. (Waiting for replacement just suckzzzz).

On missions, I have constant 70mil/hour (if not more).. for that, I would need a good fleet, and all the stuff that comes along with it. No need, don't want, no - incursions have too much downtimes / randomjerks, and pro VG fleets are boring as hell.
S Byerley
The Manhattan Engineer District
#7 - 2013-06-19 12:48:33 UTC
Admiral Pieg wrote:
S Byerley wrote:
1. Other people suck
2. Other people suck
3. Logistics
5. Commitment
6. Faction grinding
7. Missile skills

I'm pretty sure the waiting+travel time for incursions is still nontrivial.

My impression is that 40+ is more accurate for efficient misson running, but I'm not much a BS pilot so that's admittedly secondhand (best estimate google turns up is: http://eve-search.com/thread/210609-1#4).

Emergent gameplay mostly; though I tend to view Eve as a neat simulation rather than a fun game. Ironically, early MMO experiences are largely responsible for the misanthrope I am today.
Dato Koppla
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#8 - 2013-06-19 13:02:38 UTC
You're overestimating Incursion income, there are many factors that cut into your Incursion income such as:

1. Getting into a fleet/waiting for enough players/not enough people online
2. Contesting sites with other fleets
3. Travelling to a system with an active Incursion

Mission income on the other hand is very consistent as you'll basically always have a mission available to do and there's no delay, as soon as you turn in one mission you an accept another and missions will be a maximum of 2 jumps from your main system (not 100% sure about this but I rarely get missions more than 2 jumps).
Zor'katar
Matari Recreation
#9 - 2013-06-19 13:04:43 UTC
S Byerley wrote:
I'm pretty sure the waiting+travel time for incursions is still nontrivial.

This. If you're only counting the actual running time of the fleet, and assuming no downtime for replacements, then sure, Incursions are hands-down better. You will sometimes get into a fleet immediately. You will also sometimes spend hours waiting. Waiting to get in the fleet, waiting for the fleet to get organized, waiting for replacements, etc. The last couple of times I was able to play, I sat in waiting lists for a few hours and never got in. Then last night I was fortunate enough to get a spot in a fleet just as it was forming. It was another hour and a half before it actually hit the first site. I've not actually done the math, but I'm pretty confident that spending all that time missioning would have been more profitable.

Things may very well look different from inside the more exclusive shiny communities. Can't really speak to that myself.
Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#10 - 2013-06-19 14:18:44 UTC
Admiral Pieg wrote:
If you can solo lvl4 missions it means you can fly a battleship. If you can fly a battleship, you can get into a newbie friendly incursion fleet and make far more money and lp than any lvl4. You only have to get into a HQ fleet for a couple of hours to buy a faction or pirate battleship and then its all down hill from there, so what is the point of running missions and barely make 20 mill an hour when you can make 4-5 times that amount in the same time with even less risk and effort?

Because maybe not everyone that plays the game is focused on min/maxing isk/hr

Personally I consider fun/hr the most important metric ... please value fun per hour in a meaningful way for me.
that's not subjective
that's not all about you
that applies to multiple people with different attitudes, needs, wants and desires.

good luck with the challenge.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-06-19 14:39:09 UTC
Admiral Pieg wrote:
S Byerley wrote:
1. Other people suck
2. Other people suck
3. Logistics
5. Commitment
6. Faction grinding
7. Missile skills

20-30m per hour you're doing it horribly wrong. I get upwards of 40m PER MISSION and I'm in an average sentry domi setup with no bling except some fed navy omnis.

Traska Gannel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-06-19 14:46:05 UTC
I want to second the comments above ... and add a couple.

1) If you are barely skilled enough to solo L4s then you will not be running in elite groups doing incursions sites so income is less than it could be.

2) Pure ISK income from missions will often go over 30 mil/hour and that does not include the loot/salvage or LP conversion which can often be 50% of the mission income.

3) Level 4 missions can be done solo ... no waiting for a fleet ... no jumping to a target system ... usually no downtime at all. MIssions are useful when you only have 20 minutes to an hour to play ... if you only have an hour and spend half of that getting an incursion fleet then it is just a waste of time for you and your fleet members to run an incursion.

4) Incursions have more risk than missions unless you know who you are playing with. In incursions your survival depends on the logistics being awake and paying attention. If someone falls asleep or their kids distract them at the wrong time ... wave goodbye to your shiny ship. In missions, it is your choice if this happens ... not someone else's.

5) Missions can often be done without paying much attention ... lack of attention usually means the mission takes longer. Not paying attention in incursions probably means you will get kicked from the fleet at some point ... :)
Deckard Vrell
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-06-19 15:17:04 UTC
TL:DR " I dont like something, therefore it sucks and anyone who does it is a moron"

Is that basically what you meant ?

Marc Callan
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-06-19 16:04:11 UTC
Yeah, raw ISK per block of time isn't the only metric for whether something's worth doing. Sometimes it's the LP rewards that don't come from the CONCORD stores - such as chips for converting battleships to navy variants - sometimes it's the salvage for rig-making, sometimes it's the ability to set your own schedule without having to spin your ship for two hours and burning your night away, sometimes it's just a decently-profitable change of pace.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegurt

Deckard Vrell
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#15 - 2013-06-19 16:10:24 UTC
Marc Callan wrote:
Yeah, raw ISK per block of time isn't the only metric for whether something's worth doing. Sometimes it's the LP rewards that don't come from the CONCORD stores - such as chips for converting battleships to navy variants - sometimes it's the salvage for rig-making, sometimes it's the ability to set your own schedule without having to spin your ship for two hours and burning your night away, sometimes it's just a decently-profitable change of pace.

This ^

All of this
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#16 - 2013-06-19 16:56:20 UTC
Because I can rip through a mission in 10-20 minutes??

Handy with kids about.
Ginger Barbarella
#17 - 2013-06-19 17:29:00 UTC
Admiral Pieg wrote:

You really didn't think this one out before posting it, didja? Lol

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#18 - 2013-06-19 17:53:05 UTC
Spent two hours trying to get into incursion fleet in properly fitted ship - and failed. Could earn 40-50mil in L4s during that time (if only they were fun and dynamic - a-la skirmishes in Star Conflict).
Mara Villoso
Long Jump.
#19 - 2013-06-19 18:27:57 UTC
Running incursions does nothing to reduce your refine tax, trading tax, or market order setup fees, and it also does nothing to get you jump clone standings or hisec POS anchoring rights.

If you think of things only in terms of ISK/hr, you're going to be at the mercy of those who don't.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#20 - 2013-06-19 19:39:05 UTC
incursions involve a lot of hurry up and wait. once that gets factored in missions are a better use of my time.

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

12Next page