These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Remove the Sun

First post
Author
Darius Caliente
The Pinecone Squad
United Federation of Conifers
#1 - 2013-06-18 01:26:56 UTC
So I'm not sure of the best way to do it... but the sun is blinding in many systems. There needs to be a way to turn down the brightness or turn it off completely.

Options:

- Solar Brightness Control
- Solar On/Off Switch
- Remove from Display
- Remove from Game.

I've heard this complaint from others, so I assume there are many more people that find it equally annoying.
max ericshaun
Trust Doesn't Rust
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2013-06-18 01:30:01 UTC
While I agree that some systems are annoyingly bright... It's a star. It's bright. That's kind of their thing. Roll

Lost in space

Akturous
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-06-18 02:03:22 UTC
It's kind of it's only thing.

Try a gas cloud in a plex, then come back to me about the sun being bright. Now there's a point CCP, your gas clouds are brighter than a continuous fusion bomb. Well done.

Vote Item Heck One for CSM8

Adunh Slavy
#4 - 2013-06-18 02:04:58 UTC
/signed

This is such an anoyance. For all CCP's efforts to make things pretty, they sure don't get it sometimes.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Solutio Letum
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-06-18 02:45:09 UTC
Puts gun glass's on

Cool

oh ya problem fixed.

ya id love a tactical over view where the sun and everything around becomes more visible then just white or something..... maybe shutting down the sun is a bit much tho.....

My personally highly recommendated idea:
Make it so when the white target thing pass's over the sun or something white it changes black, that would help me allot

its probably really complicated with your current engine like harder then shutting down the sun but having no suns would be to hart braking to me.... i love the stars... they are just so nice
Hakaimono
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-06-18 03:13:35 UTC
Maybe instead a spectral filter that switches the light from the star to infrared or UV. Maybe have sunspot cycles that affect ship stats.
Just throwing it out there. Personally I like the stars just fine.
Luc Chastot
#7 - 2013-06-18 05:34:23 UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rltpH6ck2Kc

Please, no.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Hesod Adee
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-06-18 05:44:17 UTC
At the very least, respect the Inverse square law and have the stars brightness drop the further you get from it.
Xeraphi
Perkone
Caldari State
#9 - 2013-06-18 06:40:36 UTC
Sorry, this technologically advanced universe hasn't developed polarity filtering yet.

New target lock death animation problem #1 ^ eye strain and pain Temporary workaround found to one of these.

TehCloud
Guardians of the Dodixie
#10 - 2013-06-18 08:08:41 UTC
Oh god, people complaining about the sun being to bright is just hilarious.

What's next? Space is too dark? Warp drive too fast? Frigates too small?

My Condor costs less than that module!

0racle
Galactic Rangers
#11 - 2013-06-18 08:12:07 UTC
You know, I'm actually getting motion sickness anytime I look at the stations. Please remove them too.
FoxFire Ayderan
#12 - 2013-06-18 09:05:59 UTC
Hesod Adee wrote:
At the very least, respect the Inverse square law and have the stars brightness drop the further you get from it.

This!

The suns in EVE are completely unrealistic.

A) They appear much too small for what they should be when you are close up to them. Actually if you got too close they would melt your ship; the coronas are millions of degrees.

B) They appear much too big and bright even when you are far out in the solar system. That is NOT accurate at all. For instance in our own solar system, from space, even by the time you get to Mars the sun looks significantly smaller and by Jupiter and further it appears as just a large bright star. The suns in EVE should not continue to look enormous from a dozen or more AU away from it.

The brightness itself doesn't bother me as much as the unrealism of the solar system model in that respect.
CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#13 - 2013-06-18 09:19:19 UTC
We hired the best consultants possible to look into this problem, and the results were fascinating: http://what-if.xkcd.com/49/

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

TehCloud
Guardians of the Dodixie
#14 - 2013-06-18 10:15:10 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
We hired the best consultants possible to look into this problem, and the results were fascinating: http://what-if.xkcd.com/49/

On a completely different note:
V3 Hyperion with new Turret Hardpoints pwetty pwease?

My Condor costs less than that module!

Johan Toralen
IIIJIIIITIIII
#15 - 2013-06-18 11:12:35 UTC
TehCloud wrote:
Oh god, people complaining about the sun being to bright is just hilarious.

What's next? Space is too dark? Warp drive too fast? Frigates too small?

What's so hilarious about it? It's a gameplay issue when you can't read the hud because the font is white and the sun is a huge white ball aswell.
Tho different font color would be a more sensible solution then removing of stars from a space game ;)
Valleria Darkmoon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#16 - 2013-06-18 11:16:31 UTC
Given my skin tone, I've been asking for this since I was old enough to understand why I burst into flames if I look out a window.

Reality has an almost infinite capacity to resist oversimplification.

ExAstra
Echoes of Silence
#17 - 2013-06-18 11:23:49 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:

Words can't express the amount of love I have for you right now, at this moment.

I think it's just enough to forgive you for stickying the thread on small navy cap boosters. Close call.

Save the drones!

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#18 - 2013-06-18 15:29:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Deacon Abox
Hesod Adee wrote:

Yes.Attention This would be enough to help. And I can tell you that the manufacturer of my sunglasses says they do not contain a design flaw. P

Actually I'm surprised with the number of head-ache inducingly over-bright gas cloud graphics and the unscientific sun brightness/range graphics that CCP is not inundated with lawsuits from inducing epileptic fits or premature blindness.Ugh

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Dobriy
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2013-06-18 15:51:40 UTC
While I get annoyed with the sun's brightness, I don't think the solution is to remove it. I think it is to make the HUD more auto-contrasting. Think of it as adaptive lenses for our HUD.

There are plenty of options simple to extreme for making text/UI contrast with background elements. I would like some contrast to be added on the bright backgrounds so that I can actually watch ships rather than always refocus my view out into the middle of nowhere so that I can read my HUD.
Callic Veratar
#20 - 2013-06-18 16:00:37 UTC
So, the fun thing about the stars in eve is that they can't be brighter than your monitor. They're not real stars. I suggest you fiddle with your monitor brightness and contrast to a point where you can look at it without it hurting your eyes. Since, you know, it's a picture being produced by a video card and not the real sky.
123Next pageLast page