These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123
 

Wouldn't it be cool if New Eden was unfrozen.

First post
Author
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#41 - 2013-06-17 22:33:04 UTC
I'm all for realism, for instance, exiting warp speed should evaporate the solar system.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Corvald Tyrska
Valknetra
#42 - 2013-06-18 04:40:20 UTC
Whilst realtime orbit calculations would be fairly intensive on the server, an update each day at downtime that reset the static positions of all objects in the system for the next 24 hours wouldn't be all that difficult and would certainly make the systems feel more dynamic.
Setaceous
Nexus Prima
#43 - 2013-06-18 05:01:40 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
OP, consider the EVE server cluster, and the ginormous effort it has just by making things work well 99% of the time, even with TiDi added (weapon's damage calculator, immense RNG stuff going on, NPC spawns, etc etc etc)

now add the need of plotting over 5000 systems worth of planets, moons, stations, stargates and belts' orbits around a star, and updating a massive database with real-time locations of said objects at the same time.


now, go and come back when you manage to program an algorithm that can do this without the need of extensive processing power.



http://universesandbox.com/
Yummy Chocolate
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#44 - 2013-06-18 06:46:28 UTC
Iamien wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Iamien wrote:
Right now, Planets, moons, and things in orbit around planets and moons are all frozen in place.


It has been this way since EVE has existed. It's a bit eery to think that with however much happens in eve, the celestial have yet to budge one iota.

When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion


Good god man, can you imagine trying to catch up with a station orbiting at 1,000m/s, in your freighter?

It would be like... Roll


Worse still, imagine coming out of warp at a gate and suddenly being t-boned by a moon Lol




Best expansion ever.

EVE Online: Retribution of the Planets and Moons.

Frostys Virpio > CCP: Continously Crying Playerbase

Felicity Love >... was thinking "moar popcorn"... but now, seeing the truly awesome contribution this thread is going to make to the Greater Glory Of EVE.... imagonnamakkadapizza....

Alexila Quant
Versatility Production Corporation' LLC
#45 - 2013-06-18 07:58:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Alexila Quant
Victoria Sin wrote:
Iamien wrote:
Right now, Planets, moons, and things in orbit around planets and moons are all frozen in place.


It has been this way since EVE has existed. It's a bit eery to think that with however much happens in eve, the celestial have yet to budge one iota.

When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion


Good god man, can you imagine trying to catch up with a station orbiting at 1,000m/s, in your freighter?

It would be like... Roll


Speed is relative.

Setaceous wrote:
Grimpak wrote:
OP, consider the EVE server cluster, and the ginormous effort it has just by making things work well 99% of the time, even with TiDi added (weapon's damage calculator, immense RNG stuff going on, NPC spawns, etc etc etc)

now add the need of plotting over 5000 systems worth of planets, moons, stations, stargates and belts' orbits around a star, and updating a massive database with real-time locations of said objects at the same time.


now, go and come back when you manage to program an algorithm that can do this without the need of extensive processing power.



http://universesandbox.com/


This program can barely handle simulating one solar system with 50 or so orbiting bodies. Much less the number of systems in eve some with over 100 orbiting bodies. Although that is irrelevant as all CCP would have to do is simulate the orbits of each solar system once and then put everything on rails.
Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
#46 - 2013-06-18 08:41:37 UTC
You guys are approaching this issue all wrong.

The celestial bodies move so slowly (relatively speaking) that having the server make continual calculations is a waste of processing power. It is a far better option to simply reset the positions of all celestials during downtime.

Even then most players simple won't notice, since nearly all visible points in space are statically fixed to a celestial. A station will always be at the same point of a planet, even if they planet is moving around. So it will be a lot of effort for very little effect.
Gordon Esil
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2013-06-18 08:51:46 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Iamien wrote:
Right now, Planets, moons, and things in orbit around planets and moons are all frozen in place.


It has been this way since EVE has existed. It's a bit eery to think that with however much happens in eve, the celestial have yet to budge one iota.

When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion


Good god man, can you imagine trying to catch up with a station orbiting at 1,000m/s, in your freighter?

It would be like... Roll


Worse still, imagine coming out of warp at a gate and suddenly being t-boned by a moon Lol


All you 3 guys just made my day LolLol
Debora Tsung
Perkone
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-06-18 09:07:40 UTC
Corvald Tyrska wrote:
Whilst realtime orbit calculations would be fairly intensive on the server, an update each day at downtime that reset the static positions of all objects in the system for the next 24 hours wouldn't be all that difficult and would certainly make the systems feel more dynamic.


but that would be boring, no?

Stupidity should be a bannable offense.

Fighting back is more fun than not.

Sticky: AFK Cloaking Thread It's not pretty, but it's there.

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#49 - 2013-06-18 09:30:06 UTC
Iamien wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Iamien wrote:
When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion
At the time when the benefits are in proportion to the costs.



Then how in the hell did we get Captains Quarters?

CCP thought it would earn them money from microtranacations.

You know, like charging $80 for a monacle.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Charles the Miner
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2013-06-18 10:11:43 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
C DeLeon wrote:
What if there would be moving grids around the moving celestials (gravitational fields)?



then we have exaclty the same as we do know if you use a bit of your imagination....
This
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-06-18 11:25:02 UTC
Victoria Sin wrote:
Iamien wrote:
Right now, Planets, moons, and things in orbit around planets and moons are all frozen in place.


It has been this way since EVE has existed. It's a bit eery to think that with however much happens in eve, the celestial have yet to budge one iota.

When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion


Good god man, can you imagine trying to catch up with a station orbiting at 1,000m/s, in your freighter?

It would be like... Roll



You would obviously warp to the station as to be at the same speed as it is orbiting its moon, therefore you would see no difference to now except the moon would appear to rotate.
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
Daimon Kaiera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#52 - 2013-06-18 11:27:20 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
Iamien wrote:
Tippia wrote:
Iamien wrote:
When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion
At the time when the benefits are in proportion to the costs.



Then how in the hell did we get Captains Quarters?

CCP thought it would earn them money from microtranacations.

You know, like charging $80 for a monacle.


You don't have to pay $80. You can just buy it with your hard-earned ISK.






I didn't do this.

.... . .-.. .--. / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. . -. / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / --. . - / ..- .--. / ... - --- .--. - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . / .. -.. . .- / .. ... / -. --- - / ... - --- .-.. . -. / ... - --- .--.

Robyn Minaj
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2013-06-18 11:29:59 UTC
I think planetary interaction should be a sub-game, named Kerbals Space Programm. At least, the transportation of your goods.
Red Frog Rufen
Red Frog Freight
Red-Frog
#54 - 2013-06-18 12:30:37 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:


Worse still, imagine coming out of warp at a gate and suddenly being t-boned by a moon Lol



well, they can still warp to an object moving in space in Star Trek!!

I guess updating each and every single thing's coordinates every seconds would take too much load tho.
Rainbow D'tara
Cadre.
#55 - 2013-06-18 12:46:18 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:
Victoria Sin wrote:
Iamien wrote:
Right now, Planets, moons, and things in orbit around planets and moons are all frozen in place.


It has been this way since EVE has existed. It's a bit eery to think that with however much happens in eve, the celestial have yet to budge one iota.

When can we expect an expansion that will bring our universe to lifeQuestion


Good god man, can you imagine trying to catch up with a station orbiting at 1,000m/s, in your freighter?

It would be like... Roll



You would obviously warp to the station as to be at the same speed as it is orbiting its moon, therefore you would see no difference to now except the moon would appear to rotate.


Many warp theories revolve around moving the space that the craft inhabits which would be unaffected by relativity. If this was the case than can we really assume that relative velocities will stay constant or match the target object after exiting warp bubble. Earth rotates the sun at 30,000m/s which is way faster than eve's sublight speeds =)
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#56 - 2013-06-18 13:17:15 UTC
Merdaneth wrote:
You guys are approaching this issue all wrong.

The celestial bodies move so slowly (relatively speaking) that having the server make continual calculations is a waste of processing power. It is a far better option to simply reset the positions of all celestials during downtime.

Even then most players simple won't notice, since nearly all visible points in space are statically fixed to a celestial. A station will always be at the same point of a planet, even if they planet is moving around. So it will be a lot of effort for very little effect.

For planets and many moons that will work. But some moons and stations can complete several orbits in one day. To get everything to move, it has to move in real time.

Even just resetting things at downtime still forces you to figure out what to do about bookmarks. Once you got a plan for that you are a good part of the way to figuring out a system that allows for continuous motion.

At FanFest a dev commented that they want the Temperate plants to once again rotate. (Go take a look. All planets rotate except temperate. Their rotation was turned off when Dust was launched.) Temperate planets do not rotate right now due to the need to keep a Dust district under the beacon for orbital strikes, These beacons, like all other celestials, are fixed. The Dev wanted planets to rotate so the lighting in a given district is not fixed. But to get changing lighting, the planet has to rotate and then the OS beacon has to move, at around 300 to 1000 m/sec depending on the planet. To make that work some sort of moving coordinate system will be needed.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Previous page123