These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Can anyone explain corp mining taxes ?

Author
Madeline Borshuul
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-06-17 18:48:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Madeline Borshuul
I didn't want to use my main account just because of the unwanted attention posting can sometimes bring.

Can anyone explain to me how I can tax people in my corp in minerals we mine ?

We don't rat or mission (very much), so taxing the minerals seems to be the best thing for making money for the corp itself.

Contracts is a really harsh way of doing this (it can only be done at a station) and is actually becoming a lot of work lol.
Mari Hata
Main Street Crafts and Goods
#2 - 2013-06-17 19:33:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Mari Hata
Have them participate to a mining op every n days, for the corporation wallet. It's the least you can ask.

Edit : plus, a members gathering here and there can't be a bad thing, from time to time.

♫ ♪ ♪

Madeline Borshuul
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2013-06-17 19:43:21 UTC
Yeah this kind of requires we mostly be in the same timezone, and is still kind of up to the person to show up for it ;)

I was hoping there was an in-game system I was overlooking.
Revolution Rising
Last-Light Holdings
#4 - 2013-06-17 20:21:13 UTC
Ah yes the folly of this topic.

I have only been trying to get this implemented for 3 years or so, however... noone cares.

They'd much rather see formation flying than better gameplay.

Cap James Tkirk
Capsuleer Outfitters
Bad Intention
#5 - 2013-06-17 20:37:42 UTC
what i did when i ran a mining corp in HS is 1 of 2 things either a dedicated % come out of each op for example

10-15% with a near max boosted orca this would still give the miners a profit margin over the stand alone mining

or

do a all corp op that would mean all ore and profit go to corp for that op

the thing is you need to justify why i should spend X amount of time giving my earning to corp what does the corp give back for this
Revolution Rising
Last-Light Holdings
#6 - 2013-06-17 20:42:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
Cap James Tkirk wrote:
the thing is you need to justify why i should spend X amount of time giving my earning to corp what does the corp give back for this

People that find no use for their corp, leave regardless of tax.

People who find a use for their corp, stay regardless of tax.

Tax may well influence usefulness of the corp however.

You obviously think like an empire miner - but the whole point of corporation tax at the corporate level is to be able to afford to move to low-sec/0.0 and get better ores and put up POS etc etc.. Ship replacement funds, POS Fuel etc..

Not everyone wants to mine in empire, they just don't get a lot of choice. I mine in 0.0, but it's not social at all. I'm usually out there alone. However, a proper mining corp being out there would be totally different.

The gameplay doesn't exist as you can tell by the OP's naive confusion.

Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#7 - 2013-06-17 21:03:29 UTC
There are a couple of different ways. When i ran a corp we did all of the following at some point in the past with varying degrees of success:

1) flat tax. everyone pays X isk per month for corp membership. Corp tax rates are set to zero. Corp reports on status of wallet and income/investments. discourages laziness but involves a lot of making lists and checking them twice.

2) using buy orders at a station. Set the price at X% under Jita and agree to all refine and sell at that station. the X% is the tax. If someone else is actively buying at that station, however, it can be a PITA. Also, it's hard to "force" people to do this.

3) communism. all mined minerals go to corp. 90% of everything is paid out as a salary to active corp members. However, communism works in game like it does in real life. The lazier you are, the more you profit from it. This actually works a bit better if you do mining/manufacturing of big stuff like cap ships because if the miners are lazy you can't build anything and they don't get paid.

4) using cans in corp hangars. miners dump their or in their "own" can and once a month you go through the cans, refine it and pay that miner 90% of what it was worth. PITA for the person who has to go through all the cans.

5) corp mining ops. A month usually has about 30 days so every day you do a corp op amounts to about a 3% tax. Do 3 such ops in a month and that's 10% of combined effort. However some players will always have a good excuse not to be there which gets irritating.

On the whole I've found #2 to be the easiest and the most effective time/effort wise. #5 is my second choice and can be good for team building too. The most precise way is #4. #1 is a pita for the administration it causes, especially if corp is large and #3 is, well, not meant for everyone although with a small group of like-minded individuals it can work very well.

hope that helps.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#8 - 2013-06-17 22:53:59 UTC
If buying from members...

You can set a hangar division to QUERY-only for member (you are using titles, right?), and have members drop in a container of ore, labelled with their name.

Someone with TAKE can later collect the ore and pay the miners.
Cap James Tkirk
Capsuleer Outfitters
Bad Intention
#9 - 2013-06-17 23:58:05 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:
Cap James Tkirk wrote:

You obviously think like an empire miner - but the whole point of corporation tax at the corporate level is to be able to afford to move to low-sec/0.0 and get better ores and put up POS etc etc.. Ship replacement funds, POS Fuel etc..

Not everyone wants to mine in empire, they just don't get a lot of choice. I mine in 0.0, but it's not social at all. I'm usually out there alone. However, a proper mining corp being out there would be totally different.

i disagree about thinking like a HS miner im thinking in terms of business and i agree a good corp retains members but from a miner(employee) stand point why am I giving a part of my income to you (i understand the move to null im in null now)

I meant as a HS corp waht are you offering your miners to keep them mining for you if you heavy hand them with taxes and forced ops etc they are gonna say screw it and go off on thier lonesome

Most ppl play eve to relax and have fun not pick up a second job i know i play for SnG

Mathrin
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2013-06-18 00:03:32 UTC
You can't tax mining in game. If you really want to do it I would suggest having the corp buy the ore. Then use spreadsheets to calculate the contract with the tax included. Spreadsheets are the key to life.
Revolution Rising
Last-Light Holdings
#11 - 2013-06-18 09:36:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Revolution Rising
Cap James Tkirk wrote:

i disagree about thinking like a HS miner im thinking in terms of business and i agree a good corp retains members but from a miner(employee) stand point why am I giving a part of my income to you (i understand the move to null im in null now)

Ok so you understand that moving ANY corp from high-sec to low/0.0 requires isk yes ?
And bringing up "Gee I hope your corp can justify it" really doesn't come into a discussion regarding the missing mechanics of mining taxation ?

We're not talking about the difference between 5% and 10% tax or anything, we're talking about the inability to tax at all.

Cap James Tkirk wrote:

Most ppl play eve to relax and have fun not pick up a second job i know i play for SnG

Which is exactly the point, RUNNING a mining corp and BEING a miner are two different things.

The 2nd job is really all about trying to tax mining without any mechanic to facilitate it.

HalfArse
Wixo Trading Co.
#12 - 2013-06-18 12:39:09 UTC
Revolution Rising wrote:
Cap James Tkirk wrote:

when i first started playing i went straight into 0.0 and into pvp and stayed there for a few years. When i finally got bored of it and came into high sec I was completely shocked by the attitude of most high sec people. In 0.0, everything for the corp. People think nothing of paying tax, or doing 100% tax days to raise money for this or that. Everyone worked together and provided for the corp and each other so the corp could become as awesome as possible.

In highsec people seem to join corporations because they think it will make them more money somehow. They complain about tax or any kind of giving. When asked to join an op or project or help in someway their first reply is "how much will i make" - they couldn't give a crap about the corp.

Luckily iv finally found a corp that isnt like that but i spent a good long time just on my own because I gave up trying to get some teamwork out of highsec peeps :P

And low/0.0 isnt the only reason a corp might need money - high sec pos's so its member scan do research - expensive bpos that members can use on lockdown that they'd not be able to afford otherwise. Ship replacement. Jump fuel etc etc
Tenchi Sal
White Knights of Equestria
#13 - 2013-06-18 12:53:14 UTC
Taxing mining is useless and a waste of time to try to implement. Create an alt for refining, tax evasion successful.
Revolution Rising
Last-Light Holdings
#14 - 2013-06-18 13:34:38 UTC
Tenchi Sal wrote:
Taxing mining is useless and a waste of time to try to implement. Create an alt for refining, tax evasion successful.

Not everyone has this kind of self-serving attitude. In fact most don't.

Jacabon Mere
Capital Storm.
Out of the Blue.
#15 - 2013-06-19 00:27:46 UTC
In highsec there really isn't much of a reason to be in a corp anyway. In nullsec, just do a corp buy program at highest jita buy minus 10%. That's what I do with my corp for ore, ice, pi and salvage.

Capital Storm is recruiting Aussies for Lowsec pvp and money making. Join "Capital Storm Pub" channel ingame. www.capitalstorm.net