These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

contract thieves

Author
Mattias Uta
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#1 - 2013-06-15 21:44:18 UTC
pretty annoyed that a i set a public contract up last night only to have some person grab it within minutes with no intention of doing it. After some searching i've found sure evidence of his/her behaviour, and the 280m bounty on their character sheet is a sure sign. Although im disappointed that it's quite clear this character doesn't stray from a Jita station, and thus poses no risk to themselves ever, making bounties pointless.

i shouldn't have trusted eve's price estimation of my goods for collateral, which has lost me about 100m in ships and cheap fittings, that eve estimated as 24m in ore worth. I was too focused on an attractive reward, 500k per jump for 3 jumps of hauling, which would have been a ten minute job for somebody (im in blue corp, and cant haul while actively at war here). I posted the contract around and gathered a few private convos, and they were all eager to grab it. Im sad this person got there first.
Rengerel en Distel
#2 - 2013-06-15 21:50:40 UTC
Hate to break it to you, but most people if they see that you've undervalued the gear and there's a profit from failing the contract, will do just that. There are plenty of tools you can use to get a better estimate of what it's worth.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Mattias Uta
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-06-15 21:58:46 UTC
well it's screwed me up big time, i was relying on all of that gear, and losing it has left me broke, unable to continue pvp.
Lidam
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2013-06-15 22:35:41 UTC
Then maybe next time consider researching (read: clicking on "View market details") your stuff so you post an adequate collateral.

If I saw a courier contract with 24m collateral with 100m worth of ships, I would take it too.
Adunh Slavy
#5 - 2013-06-15 22:42:02 UTC
Always do your own math.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

UKBigWolf
#6 - 2013-06-15 23:15:31 UTC
With courier contracts, ALWAYS overvalue your items and never mention what's inside the package

Or use Red Frog
Johan Toralen
IIIJIIIITIIII
#7 - 2013-06-15 23:42:21 UTC
Mattias Uta wrote:
well it's screwed me up big time, i was relying on all of that gear, and losing it has left me broke, unable to continue pvp.

On the positive side you've learned a valuable lesson: Don't be sloppy with stuff that's important to you.
Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#8 - 2013-06-16 00:13:26 UTC
Here is a video based on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qMagfZtv8
Grandma Squirel
#9 - 2013-06-16 01:27:53 UTC
Put enough collateral on your courier that you would rather they not deliver it Pirate. Worst that happens is your stuff gets moved.
Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#10 - 2013-06-16 02:06:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Tinu Moorhsum
Mattias Uta wrote:

i shouldn't have trusted eve's price estimation of my goods for collateral,

Oh man... do people really do this?

Note to self: check courier contracts more often.
Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#11 - 2013-06-16 02:27:02 UTC
Nothing quite like a good courier contract lucky dip.

It's like buying a lottery ticket. Sometimes you get some rubbish that no one wants. Other times, jackpot! Someone forgets a 0 in their collateral, and you hit payday.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

Manny Moons
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2013-06-16 11:37:38 UTC
Mattias Uta wrote:

Wait a minute. You got the collateral that you set when you created the contract. You say you were relying on the gear, and that losing it has left you broke. That implies you thought it was valuable. So you set collateral so low that receiving it left you broke, on items so valuable that the loss leaves you unable to pvp. While this does not make much sense to me, I do understand how it could happen. What I cannot understand is why you would think of posting about it here, and implying that it was anything other than your own mistake.

I'd write it off to the cost of education - after making sure some education actually occurred.

Tallena Curie
New Eden Scientific Association
#13 - 2013-06-16 15:11:12 UTC
If you knew it was valued at over 100m, why the hell did you set the collateral at 24m? It makes no sense.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#14 - 2013-06-16 18:24:34 UTC

A high bounty is not always a warning sign. Look at me. My bounty simply reflects the satisfaction of many clients who have tipped me.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#15 - 2013-06-16 20:48:12 UTC
Personally, I always add at-least 20% to what I honestly think the item is worth.

For example, I value Gnosis at 125M isk while their 80 on the market, things that are manipulated I can sometimes Undervalue.

Then I usually add another 20% to the total if I deem it plausible, so far iv lost 2 out of maybe 3K completed Currier contracts throughout my entire time here in eve across all of my characters and those where authentically ganked doing stupid things.
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#16 - 2013-06-16 21:37:30 UTC
Johan Toralen wrote:
Mattias Uta wrote:

On the positive side you've learned a valuable lesson: Don't be sloppy with stuff that's important to you.

This indeed.

And always remember to be happy you made it now.

The same mistake some months later would most likely be much more expensive ;)

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Lhisana Silvermoon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-06-17 01:08:03 UTC
lol :D

should have read your corpinfo more!
rvb suggests using red frog!
Tesal
#18 - 2013-06-17 02:22:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Tesal
Whenever you make a courier contract, always over collateralize your stuff. It costs you nothing and takes away all the risk. You can actually turn a profit when they fail your contract. Undercollateralizing is just plain silly.

Edit* Bring me 3 Goon corpses and I will give you your 100m isk.
Tiven loves Tansien
Doomheim
#19 - 2013-06-17 08:47:07 UTC
Contact me ingame i have a job for you.
Nanami Enpei
Shinden Shorai
#20 - 2013-06-17 17:25:59 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:

A high bounty is not always a warning sign. Look at me. My bounty simply reflects the satisfaction of many clients who have tipped me.

Every "i double your isk, see my wallet for proof" scammer has that in their bio in smallest typing. Roll

Hope TO learned from that.

I only lost one contract to an stupid theft ... collateral was 10% higher then it was worth and he broke the contract.
Lucky me.

But then i used red frog many times and no contract broke yet.
12Next page