These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Low-sec Hauling : Worth it?

Author
Hyper Visor
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-06-12 21:50:35 UTC
Trying to build my alt into a trader, and slowly learning the ropes.

I thought it'd be cool to aim for something like a Viator, and run some Low-Sec trades. Maybe even try fitting a cheap indy like a Sigil, to see what I could get away with while training up. As I kind of imagined the best and most lucrative trades/hauling would be in Low-Sec.

But the more I use tools like EVE Central, the more I'm starting to think Low-Sec offers nothing against the trades that can be made in High-Sec. Am I right? Is staying safe in High-Sec really the most lucrative place to be?

I checked contracts to see what was available, and even that seems pretty poor. Well tbh, I couldn't afford the collateral on anything that would make me a decent amount of money anyway.

Either I'm still too new to fully understand trading and hauling enough to know how to make more money in Low-Sec than High. Which is entirely possible. OR, anyone in living in Low-Sec are already self sufficient, with their own corps or alt haulers, and the like.

So, is aiming to trade/haul in Low-Sec worth it?
Karash Amerius
The Seven Shadows
Scotch And Tea.
#2 - 2013-06-12 22:56:57 UTC
No volume.

No real trade routes. Pirate groups move their own logistics in.

Karash Amerius Operative, Sutoka

Soloman Jackson
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-06-12 23:16:41 UTC
Hyper Visor wrote:
Is staying safe in High-Sec really the most lucrative place to be?

There really is no safe place in New Eden, man.

Say there is a group of pirates that scan your cargo and decide that losing a few ships to concord is ok because they will make the money back on your cargo and modules... You are as good as ganked.

Read this...

http://themittani.com/news/plunder-sveipar

Fly safe...

“The cold stars spun to the ancient rhythm, the august march of an everlasting symphony. They are old, the stars, and their memory is long.” -Rick Yancey

Adunh Slavy
#4 - 2013-06-13 01:07:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Adunh Slavy
For a new player willing to take a risk, it can be worth while, but since you say this is an alt, you probably won't be too happy with the returns.

There are deals to be had in low sec, they just tend to be infrequent and spread out. A blockade runner moving ammo in and minerals, moon goo and PI out is probably the most lucrative low sec option. Once in a while you can pick up the odd meta or faction item but not enough to make it the main activity.

There might be something in those tags as a business, and you could probably do it all in a hard to catch frig.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Grandma Squirel
#5 - 2013-06-13 04:57:21 UTC
Most of those who produce anything worth trading in lowsec just move their own stuff to highsec for sale. Most lowsec markets are low enough volume that its not worth the wait for a sale. Likewise, there are often not enough items on market in lowsec to fully fit a ship, and if you gotta go to highsec for some of the fittings anyway, why not buy the rest there to take advantage of the generally lower prices.

There are certain items in lowsec that are in constant demand. Cyno generators are a great one. Due to common player practices, they are most treated as an expendable item, (most cynos are lit on rookie ships/t1 frigs, which are very easy to kill, and many players like popping cynos) and many players are willing to spend a substantial premium to buy a cyno gen in the right placed. (Being willing to pay 10x Jita isn't that uncommon if there are no other cyno gens in a few jumps) You just need to figure out which stations receive alot of capital ship traffic.
Andres Talas
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#6 - 2013-06-13 06:00:43 UTC
Hyper Visor wrote:
Trying to build my alt into a trader, and slowly learning the ropes.

I thought it'd be cool to aim for something like a Viator, and run some Low-Sec trades. Maybe even try fitting a cheap indy like a Sigil, to see what I could get away with while training up. As I kind of imagined the best and most lucrative trades/hauling would be in Low-Sec.

But the more I use tools like EVE Central, the more I'm starting to think Low-Sec offers nothing against the trades that can be made in High-Sec. Am I right? Is staying safe in High-Sec really the most lucrative place to be?

I checked contracts to see what was available, and even that seems pretty poor. Well tbh, I couldn't afford the collateral on anything that would make me a decent amount of money anyway.

Either I'm still too new to fully understand trading and hauling enough to know how to make more money in Low-Sec than High. Which is entirely possible. OR, anyone in living in Low-Sec are already self sufficient, with their own corps or alt haulers, and the like.

So, is aiming to trade/haul in Low-Sec worth it?

Its cool, but it isnt profitable.
Hyper Visor
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-06-13 08:01:28 UTC
Cheers guys for all the replies.... It's sad in a way, coz I guess it means it's a pointless exercise. Unless of course you're just in for the thrill of the chase, or you're in a corp which requires blockade runners for their own needs.

And with the new tags for sec system, anyone trapped out in Low can now get back into High to get their stuff. Can't see much of a market in those tags either, maybe I'm wrong.

So, I guess I'll stick to High-Sec. But I do think more needs to be done to encourage players out of High-Sec, out of their comfort zone. Coz you're not gonna do it if it aint worth it.
icy ghost
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-06-13 10:22:08 UTC
my main is in low sec fw and most corps keep there home station market stocked up with a jf run once a week
Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#9 - 2013-06-13 14:13:45 UTC
There is little avaliable because the fact of the matter is, the lowsec haulers right now demand excessive hauling fee's either cutting deeply into my margins 75% or more or exceeding my margins, therefore I simply find no use for lowsec.

if I could find some one who will haul at 1M isk per jump for every 10K then I would be interested, something tells me those numbers would work well for so many other merchants out there looking to peddle their goods.

On a side note, if you had say 50B isk, you could simply buy goods from Jita outright and haul into area's that see lots of combat, like ammo, Cap charges rigs and related fittings worth moving, but dont go crazy, the local sellers that sell at 50%+ markups will not tolerate competition, avoid being tracked at all costs if you want to do this on a consistent basis.
Hyper Visor
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-06-13 15:33:28 UTC
Thanks for the advice Kara...

I'm a little ways away from 50B, in fact I'm roughly about 49,700,000,000 ISK short :D

Ahh still so young. Still learning the Market. Slow slowly catch the monkey!
Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-06-13 16:52:54 UTC
Kara Books wrote:
There is little avaliable because the fact of the matter is, the lowsec haulers right now demand excessive hauling fee's either cutting deeply into my margins 75% or more or exceeding my margins, therefore I simply find no use for lowsec.

Excessive? Hardly. Considering the hassle and risks, the market for those services has found its proper price point. It seems odd that anyone would expect the hauler, who is doing all the actual work, to make less from the process than the station trader. The clicky market part is actually the least time consuming part of the process, which is exactly why those markets in losec and nosec are hard to break into—the haulers figured out that it was more profitable to cut the station traders out of the equation. Since the haulers have dove-tailed their hauling operation with their industrial and trading operations, the real competition isn't on the trading side, its on the hauling side. If you're not willing to haul your own stuff or willing to get into the business and offset your costs with hauling income, you're at a serious disadvantage.

OP, if you really want to get into the hauling/trading side of things, I highly recommend setting a skill path for freighters and JFs and joining Red Frog. Keep in mind that most low sec systems, excluding Aridia and Solitude, are relatively close to hisec (approximately 10 jumps or less), which means that even though losec seems like a separate land, it really isn't. Hisec meets most of those needs. Also most residents of those areas protect themselves from price gouging and spotty availability by securing their own logistical needs. The same is true of selling items, because so few people will venture into losec to make the buy in the first place. As I mentioned above, the haulers that are already visiting losec/nosec for their hauling endeavors use that opportunity to cherry pick the best stuff available to fill their holds on return trips or they bring items for sale with them if they are picking something up. No one likes flying empty.

Best of luck!

Bokononist

Huttan Funaila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-06-13 18:44:19 UTC
A blog that I think may be useful for you to read is called Low Sec Lifestyle. Some of it is about lowsec market trading and industry. While I don't think it will answer all your questions, I think it will answer some, and give you some other ideas.

http://lowseclifestyle.blogspot.com/
Hyper Visor
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#13 - 2013-06-13 19:58:49 UTC
Great thanks guys
brinelan
#14 - 2013-06-14 16:50:44 UTC
Huttan Funaila wrote:
A blog that I think may be useful for you to read is called Low Sec Lifestyle. Some of it is about lowsec market trading and industry. While I don't think it will answer all your questions, I think it will answer some, and give you some other ideas.

http://lowseclifestyle.blogspot.com/

I haven't run in to that blog before but its a good read. Thanks for the link!
Scion Lex
United Mining and Hauling Inc
The Initiative.
#15 - 2013-06-15 16:52:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Scion Lex
You are not going to pick any single area in eve and get good trading there.....eve is too dynamic for that. You really have to seek out a niche and build on it. Being a blockade runner (which is what you are talking about OP) is highly lucrative, but you need to think a bit bigger. As mentioned before Pirates bring thier own logisitics, but not always. I made a quite a bit of coin supplying full fits to my local pirates. They would lose something and not have time to pick up a new one and so they paid me. I would mark up the total by 25% and I delivered. Another thing is PI in lowsec, if you can get 0% tax its great money. Granted, you need to work your connections.

Simply station trading will net you plenty and require no risk. If you want to move goods in lowsec you will probably have to create a market. I would suggest finding a pirate hub and supplying it with common mods and ammo. Basicly you are talking about being an active trader. So do it all.
Andres Talas
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#16 - 2013-06-15 20:59:18 UTC
Scion Lex wrote:
I made a quite a bit of coin supplying full fits to my local pirates. They would lose something and not have time to pick up a new one and so they paid me. I would mark up the total by 25% and I delivered.l.

Note this was the foundation of Mynnas' fortune, except that rather than supplying fit ships to local pirates, he supplied them to his alliance.

People will pay a lot for convenience, and note that if you can fly them it doesnt matter that much, as its what the customer is paying for is not having to find that last Explosive hardener, or Impreial Navy Multifreq, or whatever, to finsh fitting their ship.
Hyper Visor
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2013-06-15 21:10:54 UTC
So basically asking Low-Sec pirates what fitted ships their after, and supplying them with a markup. While trying not to die to them on your return with what they've asked for. Cool sounds like a plan.

@Andres I guess you guys kinda depend on blockade runners out in Raha! Been following BNI since it began. Thought about joining with my main, but RL at the moment means it would be pretty pointless right now. But I'm enjoying reading about your "little" adventures :D
Adunh Slavy
#18 - 2013-06-15 21:30:26 UTC
Hyper Visor wrote:
So basically asking Low-Sec pirates what fitted ships their after, and supplying them with a markup. While trying not to die to them on your return with what they've asked for. Cool sounds like a plan.

Get to know your local pirates.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.  - William Pitt

Zaxix
State War Academy
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-06-15 23:33:41 UTC
Hyper Visor wrote:

@Andres I guess you guys kinda depend on blockade runners out in Raha! Been following BNI since it began. Thought about joining with my main, but RL at the moment means it would be pretty pointless right now. But I'm enjoying reading about your "little" adventures :D

It should be noted that BRs cannot haul more than a few frigates at a time and, depending on which BR, maybe 1 cruiser. That would all be packaged, not prefit, which would mean you'd need to do the fitting at your destination. That will also require that either you or an alt you can fly to the station have the appropriate skills trained to actually sit in and fit those ships.

Mynna may have made a fortune supplying fit ships, but I'm willing to bet he didn't fly them to VFK in a BR.

Bokononist

Sabriz Adoudel
Move along there is nothing here
#20 - 2013-06-16 02:32:53 UTC
There can be quite the profit in selling Heavy Interdictors to a desperate buyer in lowsec.

When your HICTOR with full fittings is in the right place at the right time, someone with a super cap kill mail in their sights might pay a billion for it.

I support the New Order and CODE. alliance. www.minerbumping.com

12Next page