These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Much Ado About AFK Cloaking

First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#21 - 2013-06-14 14:41:00 UTC
Christ not this again

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Jint Hikaru
OffWorld Exploration Inc
#22 - 2013-06-14 14:46:02 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Christ not this again

I know....

Remove cloakers from local already.... (and deny them local)

Jint Hikaru - Miner / Salvager / Explorer / SpaceBum In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#23 - 2013-06-14 15:01:37 UTC
Mahpiya Luta wrote:
It's astounding that all someone (jerk) has to do, in order to destroy other players gameplay, is to sit in a cloaky ship at a savespot and leave his computer for good without even bothering about getting caught. This can't be the idea of this game. You might say: 'Well why dont you kill them when entering the system?' Because, there is a time for the game and there is a tme for real life and you can't have a guarded system 24/7.

A cloaked player cannot "destroy other players gameplay". He cannot do anything to you - cloaks prevent him activating any modules. Being AFK further still removes his ability to do anything. Repeat after me: He cannot do anything to you.

Also, if you can't defend your systems then they are not yours. That's how nullsec works bro. Sorry if you missed the memo.

Mahpiya Luta wrote:
Because in contrast to you we dont fly ~snip~ drakes. Blink The worth of our ships go into multiple billions.

You do not need to bling your ships out that much to run PVE sites in nullsec. If you want to, then cool go for it. But if you're not willing to risk them then don't do it.

Asking for CCP to change the mechanics because you don't want to risk your unnecessarily flashy carebear ships when flying around in nullsec is laughable.

Friend, just go back to highsec. You don't understand nullsec and don't belong there.

Robert Caldera
Caldera Trading and Investment
#24 - 2013-06-14 15:06:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Robert Caldera
Mahpiya Luta wrote:
Because in contrast to you we dont fly ~snip~ drakes. Blink The worth of our ships go into multiple billions.

haha spotted another reason why you got afk cloakers there :-D
If you put a multi billion carebear boat somewhere, WHY do you expect noone sit there willing to gank it?!? Your lack of logic is disturbing!
Vassal Zeren
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#25 - 2013-06-14 15:23:45 UTC
It's funny that the Shakespearean reference you've made is a play actually called Much Ado About Nothing.

A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver.

TheSkeptic
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2013-06-14 15:32:44 UTC
Mahpiya Luta wrote:

It's astounding that all someone (jerk) has to do, in order to destroy other players gameplay, is to sit in a cloaky ship at a savespot and leave his computer for good without even bothering about getting caught. This can't be the idea of this game. You might say: 'Well why dont you kill them when entering the system?' Because, there is a time for the game and there is a tme for real life and you can't have a guarded system 24/7.

I don't understand how someone who isn't even there destroys others gameplay... please explain this to me?

TheGunslinger42
All Web Investigations
#27 - 2013-06-14 15:34:42 UTC
TheSkeptic wrote:
Mahpiya Luta wrote:

I don't understand how someone who isn't even there destroys others gameplay... please explain this to me?

To be fair, it does destroy the "gameplay" of botters, since they are programmed to flee
Yaturi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#28 - 2013-06-14 16:08:37 UTC
I stopped reading when I saw the word minigame. I understand it can be annoying to see a guy on local. Its like that fly on the inside of the window when your driving down the road. But you gotta understand it would be even BETTER if you were DENIED even seeing them on local. That's the best solution to the problem. Not a dinky pleasureless minigame.

You should play your system with the knowledge that flys can show up and ruin the picnic, and the possibility that an army of ants can come take it away. THAT IS NULL SEC. Nate Natell wrote an intriguing write up about the limiting of local data visibility. You should look it up and read it.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#29 - 2013-06-14 16:10:22 UTC
OP whilst they are cloaked and AFK, which game mechanic are they using to interact with you?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Gigan Amilupar
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#30 - 2013-06-14 16:56:48 UTC
Here's an idea, remove local chat entirely. That way you won't have a readily available intel source on everyone in system. And you'll never know those AFK cloakies are in system to begin with, so you won't get psyched out. Oh, and pirates will have an easier time. So everyone wins! (but mostly pirates)
Apostrof Ahashion
Doomheim
#31 - 2013-06-14 17:13:40 UTC
Grow a pair. Use the manly powers of a ballsack for courage.
Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#32 - 2013-06-14 18:29:46 UTC
Mahpiya Luta wrote:
Because in contrast to you we dont fly phukkin drakes. Blink The worth of our ships go into multiple billions.

Really, your not helping your situation with ships like these. Try the following:

Train WU 5
AWU 5
The cap skills to 5
The various tanking skills to 5

Fit a T1 or T2 even a T3 ship properly (i.e. with T2 modules).

This way if you die you are not out several billion. Worst case scenario a few hundred million.

BTW, not a great idea to post that on an open forum....with people having access to locator agents, and can look up what systems your alliance owns etc. Just begging for trouble. If I were your CEO I'd be more than a tad upset.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#33 - 2013-06-15 00:52:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Sura Sadiva
Mahpiya Luta wrote:
Because in contrast to you we dont fly phukkin drakes. Blink The worth of our ships go into multiple billions.

Sure, multiple billions ships but still f*ucked by a single cloacked frigate with an AFK pilot (go figure what could do if the pilot was also at his keyboard)!

And you crying to nerf the frigate!
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#34 - 2013-06-15 03:14:20 UTC
Mahpiya Luta wrote:

Well, there's the funny part.

Even a suicide ganker will target that profile in high sec, since it usually drops very tasty loot.

You are implying that you expect safety for this flying ISK container, despite the reality that it is one of the most attractive targets due to the likelihood that it will drop faction fittings worth more than the cost of an attacking ship.

You then expect a free for all PvP area of the game to still have potential opponents play by your expectations and get your consent before trying to engage you.
You get safe, they cloak and wait.
Then you come here to complain that they keep doing this to you.

Really?
Siobhan MacLeary
Doomheim
#35 - 2013-06-15 03:26:04 UTC
Oh, this thread again.

Read the sig and /thread.

Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.” - CCP Soundwave

Teckos Pech
Hogyoku
Goonswarm Federation
#36 - 2013-06-15 04:40:27 UTC
Quote:
“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.” - CCP Soundwave

While I agree with the sentiment expressed in the above quote, it is unfortunately, apocraphal.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."--Friedrich August von Hayek

8 Golden Rules for EVE Online

Azrael Dinn
Imperial Mechanics
#37 - 2013-06-15 06:05:39 UTC
Did I not mention that intenet forum space nerds will start to whine "not this, this one again, it's not broken" and so on? Twisted

After centuries of debating and justifying... Break Cloaks tm

Lord Battlestar
CALIMA COLLABORATIVE
Atrox Urbanis Respublique Abundatia
#38 - 2013-06-15 06:20:36 UTC
Mahpiya Luta wrote:

Queue more afk cloakers entering their systems because of this statement lol.

I once podded myself by blowing a huge fart.

Roger Watcher
E.C.H.O.
#39 - 2013-06-15 07:07:12 UTC
My point of view on the modification to cloaking:

“Point out to me a person who has been harmed by an AFK cloaker and I will point out a person who has no business playing this game.” - CCP Soundwave
Kraal Utrecht
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2013-06-15 07:46:35 UTC
I have heard from experienced players that everything in EVE can be countered either with proper fit or players experience or mix of both... except cloak-campers.