These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Feedback to Odyssey Feedback thread

First post
Author
Kai Pirinha
#1 - 2013-06-12 13:47:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Kai Pirinha
Dear CCP, dear fellow eve-players,

I'm currently following the Odyssey Feedback Thread and I read all new posts on a daily basis - I suspect that CCP is doing the same (not everyone of CCP of course, at least the people that are responsible for it ;) ).

Some major concerns have been mentioned and keep being mentioned, like for example

• basically removing "exploration" (in its previous unique and somewhat challenging form) and turning it into mission-farming
  • making the hidden belts (ore sites, former Grav sites) visible on scan immediately - from Highsec to Nullsec and wormhole space (note: I haven't invested any skilltime or playtime in mining, but I see the point and I agree and it also makes ganking miners in w-space too boring; I remember times when we scanned the grav sites before the inhabitants came online and spent ours with a cloaked bubbler waiting in this site until and the inhabitant felt safe because he thought that people had to scan this site first; it was much more fun)
  • Loot Spew
  • Making it impossible to zoom out during gate jumps, therefore having to listen to the warp sounds or having to deactivate them/turn them down a lot
  • removing T3/"versatile exploration ships" from exploration sites (DED3&4) (where is the sense in it anyway? Did you do this just so people have to use two accounts - one for scanning/hacking and one for fighting, just so they need to sub/plex 2 accounts? I doubt you will admit to it of course and rather say, that T3 are too OP for those sites. But the counterargument is that those ships are harder to skill, more expensive, supposed to be versatile and supposed to be used for exploration and still the only ship in game which will make you lose skillpoints if you lose the ship)
  • the automatic onboard scanner, which is a real carebear patch and makes life harder (though of course not impossible) for every pvp (or rather gank!)-interested wormhole corp - furthermore see point 1, you don't need to drop probes to see if an exploration site might be in the system
  • being able to launch all probe at once and recovering them instantly and at jumps automatically
  • in general: removing part of the sand box character

I left out the "cosmetic" changes, like the undock button, the radial menu, or the warpgate animation (though not the fact that you cannot zoom out, which is a functional change in my opinion), on purpose, because people can adept or ignore those if necessary and these are in my opinion rather minor points, that won't lead to unsubscribing your accounts.

But to put it in a nut shell from what I have read and heard from many other players (note: I'm living and fighting mainly in w-space): The recent changes made the game more dull and people are seriously wondering, where the game is currently heading and how long their future subscriptions should be (if they stay at the game and don't unsubscribe first - for example for the last two years I have always purchased at least a half year subscription for my 2 accounts, I'm not so sure I will do it in the future). The challenging aspects of the game are being slowly taken away and the game is opened up for ... uhm ... simpler people (to put it frankly).
If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that CCP is also discussing most of the issues internally and that some CCP people are sharing some concerns - but I couldn't find this post anymore (might have been a pre-odyssey post about the test server feedback).

So my question or request would be to get a statement from CCP about this massive feedback.
What are you thinking right now? What do you want to do? Will some changes be reverted in the near or distant future? What are your plans for this game? Will it be dumbed down even more - uhm, sorry, I meant easier to play for less able people.
I would really appreciate (and I think big parts of the community as well) if you could give us a detailed answer that doesn't just include phrases like "we heard your concerns", which could mean anything, like "we are aware, but we want to give it more time and won't change it for now to see if you will be able to adept" (like the hacking mini-game, which in my personal opinion should get a chance before it should be removed prematurely).
So a clear answer is prefered.
I am of course aware that your immediate priority is fixing the small and bigger bugs that came with the latest patch.

Kind regards
A fellow eve player

PS, if any CSM-member would like to comment the latest expansion and address their beliefs and wishes, this would also be much appreciated. But since this is not the CSM hall, I am not specifically asking for it. Please feel invited though. Smile

Hello World

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#2 - 2013-06-12 13:55:27 UTC
I'm thinking most of CCP in Iceland are on vacation because that's what they do right after the summer expansion.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Mrbluto
An My
#3 - 2013-06-12 14:07:33 UTC
To be honest I doubt any one at CCP will bother to answer this.

Although I agree with most of your points, instead of making the game more interesting the expansion as in fact killed exploration in low sec completely. I know people will flame as tell me I'm stupid and a ****** but that's how I feel.

I hope that some one does take notice and does something to make the game more interesting and not just pamper to the PVP people like CCP are doing at the moment.

Its killing the game IMHO
Random Woman
Very Professional Corporation
#4 - 2013-06-12 14:24:15 UTC
Well it's an exploration themed expansion after all, and the only thing they could think of was to remove all exploration bits from the game.

A job well done CCP.

If i am exploring I want to find things, to do so I have to look for them first.

Now everything is shown to me on session change, soooo exciting.

Also the wormhole jumpanimation, it has to go, thank you.
Paul Uter
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-06-12 17:54:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Paul Uter
Exploration in your face.

CCP has been dumbing down exploration for years.
OF course first iteration were not perfect but instead of upgrading it the strategy was : DUMB DOWN BABE !!!

From beggining vanished things such as \
* Every system was unique and required different scanning strategies
* Exploration PVP - you could smartbomb someone elses probes
etc.

And we have what we have now , noobs flying in t1 frigs scanning with 8 button clicks collecting billions and killing markets.\
Now its time to dumb down DED sites ( eghr... sorry i meant : make it more accessible for new players, and remove tedious mechanics :P ) and we can finally kill exploration
Silverback Zylo
Miners and Runners
#6 - 2013-06-12 20:44:16 UTC
Why are people stating that removing T3s from DED 3/4 plexs is dumbing down. It's HighSec for crying out loud. Ded3 can be run in an Assault Frigate with a probe launcher fitted and 4's run in a Drake with a prob launcher. As for having to use 2 ships, give us a break.

Loot spew is annoying but at least it's different.

Jump animation, again it adds a visual effect to an otherwise boring load screen.

Auto scan on entry to system does dumb down scanning a bit but it also adds opportunities for ganking. Also the more people get used to it, the more likely they are to enter lower security systems for greater rewards.

Ice mining changes helps to drive people to other professions and break up the 250 players in Local and all doing nothing but googling Kitty pics. If the only thing you can find to do in game is run 10 accounts and click the mouse a few times every half hour then what is the point?

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#7 - 2013-06-12 21:23:47 UTC
*Whhhhhiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee*

I thought I should join in too.

You are all entirely wrong, but I thought Id support your cause.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Bl4ck Ph03n1x
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#8 - 2013-06-12 21:33:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Bl4ck Ph03n1x
Silverback Zylo wrote:

Auto scan on entry to system does dumb down scanning a bit but it also adds opportunities for ganking.

That's exactly why people are whining, screaming "EVE IS DYING" and putting roses on the tomb of the Sandbox.
CCP dumbed down the game to buff brainless ganking.
CCP removed planification, hunt, strategy and complexity to add instant gratification: fit, jump, scan, warp, boom.
You WILL have WiS. It will just be WoW in Space instead of Walking in Station.

Don't feed the trolls.

Mr Mutombo
Zulu Uprising
#9 - 2013-06-12 21:35:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Mutombo
where is WIS??

and eve is dying
Spurty
#10 - 2013-06-12 21:44:54 UTC
I've suddenly become an explorer because of this update.

I'll never cry over the loss of dross game play like slowly releasing drones or fiddling for ages trying to get them to move into a shape I've tried to create 1,000 times before. I certainly never ever saw so many anoms even when I did drop probes to go looking for this stuff. It's made the game very vibrant from my perspective. Lots of do rather than sit there spinning my ships.

As for T3s in content that you can do in an Assault frigate, I'd sooner the game saw you coming and DDed your ship with some note that "perhaps you should bring something decidedly less overkill for this content".

Only time people use sound is in Wormholes, so forget that noise (Pun awkward and unintentional).

There are good ships,

And wood ships,

And ships that sail the sea

But the best ships are Spaceships

Built by CCP

Kai Pirinha
#11 - 2013-06-25 13:43:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Kai Pirinha
Silverback Zylo wrote:
Why are people stating that removing T3s from DED 3/4 plexs is dumbing down. It's HighSec for crying out loud. Ded3 can be run in an Assault Frigate with a probe launcher fitted and 4's run in a Drake with a prob launcher. As for having to use 2 ships, give us a break.

Oh that's great for an "explorer". From your comment I take it you don't know what exploration had been about in the past:
Flying from one system to another, far away from your home system. Scanning systems thirty jumps away from your home system. In the past when I was 10 jumps out and found a DED 3 and 4 site, I could just play it. Now I need to get back to my homesystem after finding these site, get the ship for the DED 3 site, jumps ten jumps back (30 jumps in total already, 10 to the system to scan it, 10 back to the home, 10 to the system again), play the site, get back home into the next ship, come back (50 jumps), play the site, fly back home. Great, 60 jumps for 2 sites 10 jumps out. This doesn't take escalations in account yet, which are each 4-5 jumps out.
Also what is the point of Relic and Datasite having different modules, if the mechanic is exactly the same? Again I need two ships to optimize this profession instead of 1 versatile ship.

Exploration was NOT about scanning in and next to your home system and get the best possible ship to fly the sites - that's mission running!

Exploration was about taking a ship that offers a lot of possibilities and just fly out for several hours into any direction and scan around.
This has been taken away simply by disallowing T3 from DED 3 and 4 sites because now you need to have a base with multiple ships. You didn't need that before.
But thanks for sharing your lack of knowledge about a profession you do not understand.

Spurty wrote:
I've suddenly become an explorer because of this update.

Nope. You haven't become an explorer. You have merely become an advanced mission runner farming sites around your home system.

P.S.: This thread wasn't really meant as a user-user-discussion, we have enough threads for this already.
I just wanted a statement from CCP, since they were lacking at the time of the first post.

Hello World

Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#12 - 2013-06-25 13:56:27 UTC
Please someone else explain to the OP why he is completely wrong

I cant be bothered

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

CCP Falcon
#13 - 2013-06-25 14:35:36 UTC

There is a thread called "EVE Online: Odyssey Feedback". You're aware of this because you linked it.

Odyssey feedback should go there, not here, hence why we created this thread. Our game designers watch the feedback thread, and just because they're not responding to every single post there it doesn't mean that your opinions aren't being taken on board.

This thread is locked, as it's a duplicate that serves no purpose.

If you have any further comments, direct them to the Odyssey feedback thread linked above.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3