These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Science & Industry

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ice or Rocks...which to go for?

Author
Angry Meatwad
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-06-11 17:58:43 UTC
So I recently got a 2nd account with the intent of making him a miner/industrial/trader whatever character to provide a secondary income to this guy. Now, I finally got around to training up for Ice mining a week or so ago and have been doing it when I can manage to get in on a belt before it's ravaged by blue laser light shows.

The problem is it's not nearly as profitable as I thought it'd be. I want to say that mining Pyroxes is about the same, and possibly worth more, than mining the Clear Ice I find in hisec. Now this is just for raw ore/ice prices...does this change much when refining is taken into account?

I haven't refined anything yet as I'm working on those skills but I'm contemplating wether or not to sell raw material in the meantime.

Any help to a fledgling non combat character is appreciated.
Embarado
Wolves Ressurection
#2 - 2013-06-11 18:24:56 UTC
Selling rocks seems to work for most brutor.

"there is no old system anymore" -CCP BunnyVirus

Angry Meatwad
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-06-11 18:28:35 UTC
Embarado wrote:

I dare say I see what you did there.
Dedaf
United Brothers Of Eve
#4 - 2013-06-11 18:50:51 UTC
Hi
Mining ice has never been very profitable, even now with the boost to cycle time for ice mining lasers, its still better to mine normal ore.
Before the Odyssey patch ice was good to mine simi-afk, as the roids almost never depleted, but it has never been worth mining for profit.

Try out my mining tool, it will show you how much profit you can make with your skills, mining either ice and ore.

Try it out here

Want to know what is best to mine or build at which cost? then try out Dedaf's Industrial Tool http://dedafsindustrialtool.blogspot.dk/

Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#5 - 2013-06-11 19:11:22 UTC
according to Cerlestes, if you're in high sec, you're better mining scordite (seriously WTF), or you can mine pyroxeres as always
Dave stark
#6 - 2013-06-11 19:13:44 UTC
do both
it only takes 4 days to max ice harvesting skills, hardly a substantial "detour" if you're training mining related skills.
Angry Meatwad
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2013-06-11 19:23:18 UTC
Indeed, it isn't terribly skill intensive to mine. However, is it worth going into refining and processing ice/ore or do most people just sell the raw ore/ice?

I'm thinking the only people who bother with refining are manufacturers, yes?
Termy Rockling
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#8 - 2013-06-11 19:25:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Termy Rockling
Can we report people for racistic/political jokes? Pirate

Also ontopic, anyone who needs to move their ore/ice usually refine them to shrink the volume a LOT.
RonPaul Rox
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-06-11 19:54:54 UTC
Embarado wrote:

http://imgur.com/LtC800C

http://imgur.com/EGjYLSL

Dave stark
#10 - 2013-06-11 20:34:31 UTC
Angry Meatwad wrote:
Indeed, it isn't terribly skill intensive to mine. However, is it worth going into refining and processing ice/ore or do most people just sell the raw ore/ice?

I'm thinking the only people who bother with refining are manufacturers, yes?

you need refining skills for t2 mining crystals so if you can mine it, you can refine it.
ice requires some obscure skills for refining, however a cheap 2% implant fixes that
Marsan
#11 - 2013-06-11 20:58:35 UTC
Refining your own mineral only makes sense:

- If you can refine with no waste (skills and standings)
- If it's worth it to be able to haul it some where prices are better.

In general if you have to ask the answer is no.

Former forum cheerleader CCP, now just a grumpy small portion of the community.

Ekaterina 'Ghetto' Thurn
Department 10
#12 - 2013-06-12 15:19:10 UTC
As a long term investment if you can find any ice I would mine it and hoard it. CCP have miscalculated how much is needed and at some point, either due to ice interdiction or other factors, the price of ice products will go through the roof.
But as general view if you are mining for ISK even allowing for the current higher prices of ice you will be far better off mining ore even in high sec. Ore prices for mining in high sec will start to recover once it is realised that mining in nul sec has not increased and may in fact have decreased.
The main reason for mining ice now is if your corp/alliance is running POSes or are using ice products in your ships. Other than that ice is not really worth the bother with the new anomalies.

" They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out. " Rick. " Find out what ? " Abraham. " They're screwing with the wrong people. " Rick. Season four.   ' The Walking Dead. ' .