These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

View of a newbie

Author
Gil Roland
Roma Aeterna
#61 - 2013-06-09 16:09:20 UTC
Have a look at the Explorer career, aiming for Wormholes. Eventually you could establish your own corp. recruiting your 2 or 3 friends you bring in the game, find an empty wormhole, set up a POS and have a lot of good times with PVP while making a lot of good money with PVE.
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#62 - 2013-06-09 17:00:35 UTC
Most has already been said except perhaps that the "good" Corps tend to have more of a word-of-mouth recruitment.
Or perhaps the worse the Corp, the needier it appears in the Recruitment Channel and here on the forums (exceptions always exist, of course).

On the other hand, having been in a bad Corp still counts towards the learning cliff, just don´t make it a habit Blink.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

Fenris Purvanen
#63 - 2013-06-09 23:19:39 UTC
This has been an enlightening thread as I hoped it would be and it would seem Ive made some friends (well, people that COULD be friends!) from it.

In blood, Isk, or tears, I will get paid all the same.

Akai Kvaesir
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
#64 - 2013-06-09 23:26:42 UTC
Faction Warfare. Nuff said. Check out Imperial Marauders. I think you won't be disappointed.

Frogblast the Vent Core! When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Amarra Mandalin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#65 - 2013-06-10 00:35:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarra Mandalin
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
I wanted to thank you all. When I wrote the OP I was expecting to get hammered by trolls. Instead I got a lot of support. Im going to wait another couple weeks to finish some long haul trains and look into RvB and null FW and once I loose my implants oh well. Due to being new and making some poor skilling choices in a hope of being able to fly with the fleet of my original alliance I way over stretched my self. So now I'm going back and really pouring it into support skills. I made an alt too so I can pursue multiple options at once. So if anyone finds themselves in need of a T2 fit interceptor of AF or even an Interdictor...drop me a line. For now, I'm out prowling low sec in a little hookbill looking for my first kill.

Awesome! Eve needs more players like you.

Good luck (and most importantly, have fun) with the hunt.

P.S. If you join RvB hit me up, (preferably RED, ha ha) I have more spare implants and LPs than I know what to do with. :)
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#66 - 2013-06-10 00:49:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Sergeant Acht Scultz
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
So if anyone finds themselves in need of a T2 fit interceptor of AF or even an Interdictor...drop me a line. For now, I'm out prowling low sec in a little hookbill looking for my first kill.

Hohoho, this is awesome dude !!

Ceptors all day everywhere in every fckin fleet/gang decent enough of its name.

AssFriggs? -they're fantastic, a huge bunch of those and you kill capitals with !

Dictors? -did you just said you can fly those or still training for those? -dude this dictor thing is just amazing, probably the single major actor in a fleet or gang after the FC that can save your fleet or help wipe it out.
It's an individual skill space awareness thing and you take no orders from absolutely no one else than directly from your FC, and you can even choose not to execute them or take your own decisions without waiting him to tell you whatsoever.

Looks easy, seems easy but no, it's dam fragile (CCP really needs to take a look at these) but it's an awesome challenge and game changer based on individual skill you will be hated or loved for your personal skill, not the amount of your toon SP. Same for ceptors, a bit less for AssFrigs and not at all for brainless shooting BC's/BS stuff other than KM hoaring.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Fenris Purvanen
#67 - 2013-06-10 00:56:21 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:

Dictors? -did you just said you can fly those or still training for those? .

My alt got destroyer 5 prior to the expansion and now can fly Min Dictors. Shes training into T2 fittings for it now. Since both her and my main are corpless atm I can pull either one out for just about anything.

In blood, Isk, or tears, I will get paid all the same.

I Need PLEX
Doomheim
#68 - 2013-06-10 01:02:13 UTC
Join Brave Newbies Inc.
Ace Menda
Gemini Lounge
#69 - 2013-06-10 08:10:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Ace Menda
NightCrawler 85 wrote:
Many people will be helpful on the forums when its a new player asking for help, and your post did not really come across as whining or similar, more frustrated and i think many can relate to how you were feeling.

I know you said in your last post you are interested in rejoining your old alliance, but if you change your mind i would advice you to read over this thread (also a wall of text Lol ), since it might guide you and help you avoid ending up in a similar situation in the future.

Good luck and happy to see your sticking around even if you had a rough start Big smile

Use this guide.

The biggest mistake you made was:

* Just join the biggest industry corp in null. WITHOUT doing your research about them.

Finding a corporation takes MUCH more effort then just looking for the biggest corp that does "x" and lives in "y".
I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Are you in need of some nice chat? Are you new and want some help? Look no further and join: Crazy Dutch Guy

Joxxy
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#70 - 2013-06-10 08:43:18 UTC
Hello there young pup.

I see your looking for a corp in 0.0 to call your home.

To undock in a Rifter, tackle someone ( tm ) and have fun in process ?

Well that can be a challenge, especially with SOV holding alliances paranoia fears over young pilots being spies !

But one should look in here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=265

Find a corp you think you would enjoy and - try to get in.
You failed ? Try another ...
Rahool
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#71 - 2013-06-11 12:21:12 UTC
Joxxy wrote:
Hello there young pup.

I see your looking for a corp in 0.0 to call your home.

To undock in a Rifter, tackle someone ( tm ) and have fun in process ?

Well that can be a challenge, especially with SOV holding alliances paranoia fears over young pilots being spies !

But one should look in here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=265

Find a corp you think you would enjoy and - try to get in.
You failed ? Try another ...

Hello there young pup...
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#72 - 2013-06-11 12:30:31 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
I knew that I couldn't do much to help in a big 0.0 fleet brawl ( zero actually) so I figured to get into 0.0, make money, and have a place I could get to know people I should go miner to start. So I used the corp finder, tracked down the biggest 0.0 mining corp I could, app'd and zoomed off to null in my little venture. Big mistake. I made the assumption that I would have the opportunity to at least tag along on fleet ops from time to time in my little tackle Rifter. Could I save the day? Hardly. Could I so SOMETHING? Maybe. The reality of the that assumption would be summed up to me quite clearly in short order. Not welcome. I showed up at every CTA and posted roam in my little Rifter only to be sent packing by the FC. Cant fly a Battleship? Go home.

EQII and WoW heroic raid guild mentality. Sure join our guild, but if you want to raid with us come skilled and geared. Ugh

That reminder in EvE is upsetting.

"Oh, oh...you can get in a dessie in a day and fly roams!!!"

And waste time dying without the support skills. And being new, don't have the side income to support getting 2mil ships like candy, because as a newb you are cannon fodder (the corps that do accept newbies, don't tend to have ship replacements even on fleet roams, so until you get over 5mil in SP, you're SoL -- and that's IF they trust you enough to offer one).

You never display even a slight liking of EVE, and yet here you are.

We train our newbs for dessies (and supposrt skills) then to tech1 cruisers (thanks CCP!) within a couple weeks and get them out roaming, training a noctis inbetween all that so they can salvage wrecks ratters leave behind. The make WAY more isk (even adjusted for inflation) than I did in 2007 trying to do lvl 3 missions in a drake. Hell they make more than I did back then doing lvl 4s.

Too many "newbs" bring their natural gamers lack of social skills with them into EVE and thus don't know how to find good groups without someone holding their hands. Well, that's just a personal problem, with organizations like TEST, Goons, EVE uni, RvB and thousands of newb friendly empire corps, there is just not excuse today.
Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#73 - 2013-06-11 12:33:01 UTC
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
DRGaius Baltar wrote:
TLDR

I apologize profusely for testing the limitations of your gnat like attention span. Roll

This forum is notorious for nonsensical walls-o-text, and after a few years, one realizes they are pretty much not ever worth reading.

I could have summed your issue up in 3 sentences.

You would have gotten kinder responses.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Jake Warbird
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#74 - 2013-06-11 13:40:37 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

People usually ask for a TLDR when said wall of text is a steaming pile of dog**** which is very difficult to assimilate. This wasn't.
Signal11th
#75 - 2013-06-11 13:57:00 UTC
Faction Warfare, Red vs Blue and ignore the circle jerk that is 0.0 for a bit it's not all that.

God Said "Come Forth and receive eternal life!" I came fifth and won a toaster!

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#76 - 2013-06-11 14:13:56 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
We train our newbs for dessies (and supposrt skills) then to tech1 cruisers (thanks CCP!) within a couple weeks and get them out roaming, training a noctis inbetween all that so they can salvage wrecks ratters leave behind. The make WAY more isk (even adjusted for inflation) than I did in 2007 trying to do lvl 3 missions in a drake. Hell they make more than I did back then doing lvl 4s.
^^ Also, see sig.

Support skills are dirt cheap and silly quick to train. Even a very new player can get them to levels where they start making a good bit of difference. The trick lies in knowing which are actually useful (and, for a gold star, why this is the case), but any remotely useful corp will help their new players in navigating that particular maze.
Gordon Esil
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#77 - 2013-06-11 14:41:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Gordon Esil
Well, if the talk about support skills, then I was having absolutely ZERO skills with missiles, I had to train them due to some sudden need for that, and in 4 days I got:
Missile Launcher Operation - 4
Heavy Missiles - 4
Rapid Launch - 4
Warhead Upgrades - 4
Missile Bombardment - 3
Now training Missile Launcher Operation to 5 so I can get T2 heavy missiles
I needed to get a drake, my DPS went from 0 on it to 250dps in matter of 4 days

- Just saying Cool

EDIT:
But for me I say the best role for new players is a support role that if done correctly will make the whole fleet happy and win, but if it done wrong it won't have bad effects on the fleet... such as ECM, if you get a successful cycle, your team will just love you for it, while if you don't it is just ok and the fight keeps going (This actually goes for all EWAR categories not just ECM)

So join FW, find a corp that will be happy to take you regardless of your SP count and either join them in the front line or stay in the back doing some EWAR until you get some good fighting skills like T2 guns or T2 armor or T2 hulls