These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Did Sony just headshot DUST 514?

Author
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#81 - 2013-06-09 11:36:55 UTC
Owena Owoked wrote:
But yeah, if you think that your thumb is every bit as accurate as your entire arm plus all of your hand and finger stabilizer muscles


Doesn't matter how fast you are, you're still limited by the speed of your controls.

Console controls are not as agile as a laser mouse (and can't mod the USB controller for even more speed...computers you can).

Consoles are cheap for a reason. You compromise performance and modifications for $$$ saved.

A lot of voodoo is done to get games to perform similar to PCs (notice the gate animations and loss of control? That's the stuff done to make consoles play when it can't perform on par as a computer).

There's no substitute for a PC for FPS games. Let us know if the PS3 can perform as well as a quad SLI computer; 16GB of fast memory; and a processor that'll run circles around a console -- Hint: it can't it doesn't have the horsepower.

In BF3 do you know how they got the XBox and PS3 to work with PCs? Things like auto aiming, as they can't compete with PCs and their speed.

It's a joke about accuracy and speed to compare console performance against computers that regularly play FPS games.

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Zane Lowe
I Need Some
#82 - 2013-06-09 11:50:48 UTC
Mouse and keyboard is the "better" control system strictly speaking, but I prefer to play all video games with a controller. It just feels better.

I have no idea why the "premier" gaming device is a glorified typewriter. It breaks any kind of immersion I have in pretty much any game.
Sebastian N Cain
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#83 - 2013-06-09 12:58:23 UTC
Zane Lowe wrote:
Mouse and keyboard is the "better" control system strictly speaking, but I prefer to play all video games with a controller. It just feels better.

I have no idea why the "premier" gaming device is a glorified typewriter. It breaks any kind of immersion I have in pretty much any game.

How does it feel being stuck in the eighties?

I got lost in thought... it was unfamiliar territory.

Lyza Kimbo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#84 - 2013-06-09 18:43:54 UTC
fairimear wrote:
who did not see this coming besides CCP?


and once again we see why ccp should done dust for pc or not at all


QFT = quoted for truth
J3ssica Alba
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2013-06-09 18:49:07 UTC
played a few planetside 2 games, was not impressed, uninstalled. Can't really see the point. now Dust on PC I'd actually play because of the Eve universe
This is my signature. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.  Without me, my signature is useless. Without my signature, I am useless
C DeLeon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#86 - 2013-06-09 18:56:54 UTC
Making dust an important part of sov warfare and releasing it on pc would turn dust into a decent success because all those bittervets would play the crap out of it. PS2 was exciting for me for like 2 weeks but after that I was even too lazy to uninstall it. On the other hand I'm having fun with Dust althought it's still in the baby phase.
Dorion Strag
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#87 - 2013-06-09 19:15:19 UTC
Did CCP not headshot DUST 514 when they made it a PS3 exclusive spinoff of a PC based game?
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#88 - 2013-06-09 19:42:51 UTC
I was about to open OPs link, but it was the martini. Yeeeeeah, rather read the ingredients of shampoo.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Djana Libra
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#89 - 2013-06-09 20:38:05 UTC
Malak Dawnfire wrote:
ACE McFACE wrote:
Well SOE does stand for Sony Online Entertainment. The Playstation is made by Sony.

Makes sense to me.


They who murdered Galaxies.

Never forget.


Never forgive.
Katia Pwomperson
Doomheim
#90 - 2013-06-09 21:48:53 UTC
Malak Dawnfire wrote:
How can you kill which had no life?


What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.
Ohishi
Apocalypse Reign
#91 - 2013-06-09 22:18:15 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Owena Owoked wrote:
But yeah, if you think that your thumb is every bit as accurate as your entire arm plus all of your hand and finger stabilizer muscles



Owena Owoked was misquoted in your post and you expect people to take you seriously?

Also, I have 16 gig of RAM in my gaming PC and I'll tell you what, it is a waste to have that much RAM for gaming. You will never use it. Also, look at the specs for the new PS4 and XBOX 1. They basically are computers.

And to your point about auto-aim. Console games didn't always have auto-aim. Games like RS3 and GR/GR:IT never had auto aim and they had millions of copies sold and huge competitive gaming scenes.

Also, you can mod the controller for more speed and accuracy. There are even dedicated sites setup where you can purchase your own modded controller from $50 and up.


But like I said earlier, just because you are biased towards KB/M does not mean controller is any less viable as a control scheme. It is just what you prefer. Preference is not proof of fact and there are people out there that will use a controller over your KB/M and destroy you in a FPS without the need of auto aim. Hell I play BF3 almost exclusively now with my 360 controller plugged into my PC and I still get top 5 on my team just about every match.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.

Kiblete
Perkone
Caldari State
#92 - 2013-06-09 22:22:04 UTC
Djana Libra wrote:
Malak Dawnfire wrote:
ACE McFACE wrote:
Well SOE does stand for Sony Online Entertainment. The Playstation is made by Sony.

Makes sense to me.


They who murdered Galaxies.

Never forget.


Never forgive.



The NGE was Lucasarts, blame them.


Is the Emu still going?
Praeduran Taiadriius
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#93 - 2013-06-09 22:27:29 UTC
It would have been a better idea for CCP to wait a short time to port DUST to the PS4 for another game at launch rather then that of releasing during the end of the PS3's life. Regardless of what system, PS4 is not backwards compatible which is a major problem for the life span of dust514 because the PS4 is soon to launch Cry
Ohishi
Apocalypse Reign
#94 - 2013-06-09 22:35:10 UTC
Praeduran Taiadriius wrote:
It would have been a better idea for CCP to wait a short time to port DUST to the PS4 for another game at launch rather then that of releasing during the end of the PS3's life. Regardless of what system, PS4 is not backwards compatible which is a major problem for the life span of dust514 because the PS4 is soon to launch Cry

PS4 is not backwards compatible because they want to sell you PS3 games as DLC on PS4.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sought.

Malak Dawnfire
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#95 - 2013-06-09 22:39:02 UTC
Kiblete wrote:
Djana Libra wrote:
Malak Dawnfire wrote:
ACE McFACE wrote:
Well SOE does stand for Sony Online Entertainment. The Playstation is made by Sony.

Makes sense to me.


They who murdered Galaxies.

Never forget.


Never forgive.



The NGE was Lucasarts, blame them.


Is the Emu still going?


Yup.
Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#96 - 2013-06-09 22:57:38 UTC
Console games evolved a lot since their beginning, have more in common with PC games than the old console ones except for controls but they're getting to the point your console soon enough is nothing else but another computer, less powerful or versatile.

This said, leads me to Dust514 and Eve. Eve is not dieing, we can agree it's rather an old system even CCP have hard time to recode without introducing new bugs and brake what was fine.
Dust will not die neither but in order for it to survive as long as Eve we can expect a PC version out one day or another that WILL be far more successful than the console version.

Planetside2 is quite awesome, spandex and hysteric Max's erryday.
Dust? -I don't know and don't want to know, I don't play console games and not ready to buy one to do the same thing I can do with my computer but worst.

And lol for the 80's comment above, tell us all about it.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#97 - 2013-06-09 23:13:04 UTC
Praeduran Taiadriius wrote:
It would have been a better idea for CCP to wait a short time to port DUST to the PS4 for another game at launch rather then that of releasing during the end of the PS3's life. Regardless of what system, PS4 is not backwards compatible which is a major problem for the life span of dust514 because the PS4 is soon to launch Cry



Dude CCP can't put a Directx11 option client already because of greedy.
XP OS not even updated anymore by the editor who doesn't even want to listen talking about anymore, they moved forward for more interesting stuff which is good.

In a year or two PS5 will be out, games will become again incompatible with new stuff and yada ya, idiots will continue to buy that crap because it's fashion yada ya and the circle goes on and on. Makes me think about Apple and the latest news, you know people who want to get the cake eat it and pound the cooker on the couch, this always finishes ugly one day or another.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#98 - 2013-06-10 00:30:48 UTC
Digital Messiah wrote:
Just because my view point and opinion goes this way doesn't mean I dislike CCP as a developer. I, like others, see it as a mistake and I'll be around to enjoy other products they develop in the future.


I am often VERY critic about CCPs works and for a simple reason.

They had a vast and bold vision, ALIEN TALENT, the Zuckerberg / Steve Jobs kind of talent... they really had it... but back in 2000.

True, they delivered some nasty spaghetti code and similar but EvE was born of genius.

Then those guys retired or got promoted to high ranks and they started hiring "regular guys". Regular designers, regular programmers... and year after year, EvE became more and more of a better coded game but by people who don't have the ALIEN TALENT and thus we witness for these "okay" patches or even some atrocious garbage like the "launcher".

The new titles are not made by ALIEN TALENT programmers and designers. Therefore they born lackluster if not somewhat dated and boring.

CCP have to find the ancient glories kind of people again, because EvE cannot alone carry CCP over forever and on inertia. After all EvE's being over-dumbed down and ruined as we speak, sooner or later the ancient playerbase at the root of every MMO players retention will start losing people to turnover and just to seeing the game made a shadow of itself.
Black Dranzer
#99 - 2013-06-10 01:31:12 UTC
CCP chose the PS3 for a specific reason; Because they didn't want to compete with their own playerbase. It's fair to assume that PS3 FPS Dudebros are not Eve's target audience. In that, it was a good idea; They were reaching out for a new market. The idea was that they'd unite two playerbases in one universe. Vastly different cultures uniting together. It's a beautiful vision.

Unfortunately, it's flawed for one fundamental reason: MMOs have a much longer lifespan than consoles.

Ultima Online has been kicking around for what, 16 years? Some older MUDS have been going on for decades. Consoles, on the other hand, get discarded every 5 years or so. Their technology rapidly and chaotically changes. Backwards compatibility is a luxury. Games released for consoles are stuck in a technological timewarp; They don't really have room to grow. None of these things mesh well with MMOs. In fact, they clash horribly.

I'm not sure what the deal was. I remember the first question upon the announcement of DUST was "But what happens with the PS3 dies?", and the only answer was a sort of awkward "we'll see when we get there". Maybe they predicted a bigger adaption rate and massive incomes which would fund further development. Maybe they expected the current generation of consoles to last longer, or for DUST to take less time to develop than it did. They couldn't have failed to predict this. Somebody in CCP must have asked these questions. What was the answer? We know what the vision was, but what was the plan?

DUST's best bet is to abandon the PS3 and become a purely PC FPS, assuming licensing deals with Sony haven't made this practically impossible. There'd be some overlap with the Eve market, but DUST strikes me as more of a PC Shooter kind of game anyway.

But sadly, I fear they're locked into contractual obligations with Sony, that they know the current situation is bad, but that there's nothing they can practically do about it. So they keep moving forward.

God speed, CCP.
dark heartt
#100 - 2013-06-10 04:03:49 UTC
Noooo Noooooo NOOOOOOOOO wrote:
Planetside is the most direct competitor I could imagine. What is DUST's selling point when compared to Planetside 2?

Literally the only thing is the connection to Eve, something that the average console player isn't going to care about.