These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

acolytes, what are they good for?

First post
Author
Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#21 - 2013-06-09 16:57:28 UTC
Grandma Squirel wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:
i'd rather drones were like missiles. all the same, except different damage types. that might be a bit boring though, so whatever.

Having fast and slow drones is a good thing. People have good reasons for using both Warriors and Hobgoblins. The problem is that you either want max dps, or max speed. The other drones are a bad combination. They should have 2 types of fast drones, and 2 slow, dps for each pair would be the same, and they would do different damage types. Alternatively, they could make the middle of the road drones nearly as good in both stats, so that they may actually be the best choice to apply damage to a somewhat fast target.

So instead of having every drone be viable in it's own niche, you'd perfer keeping it how it is where only the drones on the extreme ends of the dps and speed spectrum are used?

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Drake Doe
88Th Tax Haven
#22 - 2013-06-09 16:58:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Drake Doe
Damn double post

"The homogenization of EVE began when Gallente and Caldari started sharing a weapon system."---Vermaak Doe-- "Ohh squabbles ohh I love my dust trolls like watching an episode of Maury with less " Is he my Dad " but more of " My Neighbor took a dump on my lawn " good episode! pops more corn" ---Evernub--

Shereza
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-06-09 23:23:23 UTC
Acolyte IIs are, at least in Domain, approximately 56% of the price of Hobgoblin IIs. They also have nearly 36% more MWD velocity, 18% higher orbit velocity, and something like a 36% higher tracking speed. The lower damage modifier and lower HP values for shield and hull are pretty significant penalties, but Acolytes will be taking fewer hits than Hobgoblins and hitting more accurately/often while being nearly half the price. All things considered it's not hard to see why some people would pick them over Hobgoblins.

Personally though, I just suck up the cost and use hobgoblins so that the only time I need to switch them out for something else is when I'm going up against Angels and their ungodly thermal resistances. >_>
Josilin du Guesclin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-06-10 11:28:10 UTC
To mare wrote:

actually hornets are a good compromise of speed and damage its just amarr drone that sux, if they reaaly rad a major tank advantage over other drones they could have some use but to compensate the other stats they would need to tank quite alot lets say an amarr light should have the same hp of a ogre II and then go up from that

Hornets are only a little faster than Hobs, so unless you really need to be doing kinetic over thermal damage there's no point, IMO. I just stick with Hobs, unless I need to hit fast frigates or interceptors, in which case it's time for the warriors. For mediums I used to use Valks, but now I exclusively use Hammerheads - if they're too slow I switch to lights. OTOH, aside from a Prophecy I don't use drone bonused ships so not making the perfect choice doesn't cost me too much.
Previous page12