These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

acolytes, what are they good for?

First post
Author
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#1 - 2013-06-08 15:52:20 UTC
according to my numbers, there is no common resistance profile where acolytes do more damage than hobgoblins. and yet, there are roughly 600 acolyte II being sold in amarr every day. am i missing something or are people just too stupid to math?

I should buy an Ishtar.

Kahega Amielden
Rifterlings
#2 - 2013-06-08 15:54:31 UTC
Probably missionrunners buying them for their Sansha/Blood missions, not realizing that the lost damage compared to Hobs isn't worth doing EM damage over thermal.
Lugio Bearbottom
#3 - 2013-06-08 16:12:02 UTC
I assume its the wayward catholic priest players among us.

Don't know of anyone else who would have an unending lust for acolytes.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-06-08 17:42:18 UTC
Absolutely nothin

Uh. Ah.

What is it good for

Absolutely nothin
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#5 - 2013-06-08 17:56:45 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
are people just too stupid to math?

Need you really ask this?
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2013-06-08 18:08:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Barrogh Habalu
People just get "their" race or "right" damage profile. My guess is that some people may be unaware of the fact that base damage difference is so huge.

To their credit though, sane gamer wouldn't expect the balance of something so strainghtforward to be that much off in a 10+ years old game. Especially now that Amarr is almost another drone race (and tbh it kinda was before).
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#7 - 2013-06-08 18:52:59 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
according to my numbers, there is no common resistance profile where acolytes do more damage than hobgoblins. and yet, there are roughly 600 acolyte II being sold in amarr every day. am i missing something or are people just too stupid to math?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#8 - 2013-06-08 18:53:45 UTC
It's on the "to do" list but eh, so are HACs and a load of other stuff.

Soon™, basically

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#9 - 2013-06-08 23:16:59 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Soon™, basically

imo drones should have mixed damage types just like the respective weapon modules and theother stats should be within 10% of each other. also wtb better drone UI.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Dave Stark
#10 - 2013-06-08 23:40:55 UTC
i'd rather drones were like missiles. all the same, except different damage types. that might be a bit boring though, so whatever.
Stegas Tyrano
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2013-06-09 00:35:11 UTC
Aren't they the most durable of the 4 races drones? They might be seeing more use to them being more survivable maybe?

Herping your derp since 19Potato - [url=https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2403364][Proposal] - Ingame Visual Adverts[/url]

Grandma Squirel
#12 - 2013-06-09 01:45:52 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
i'd rather drones were like missiles. all the same, except different damage types. that might be a bit boring though, so whatever.

Having fast and slow drones is a good thing. People have good reasons for using both Warriors and Hobgoblins. The problem is that you either want max dps, or max speed. The other drones are a bad combination. They should have 2 types of fast drones, and 2 slow, dps for each pair would be the same, and they would do different damage types. Alternatively, they could make the middle of the road drones nearly as good in both stats, so that they may actually be the best choice to apply damage to a somewhat fast target.
To mare
Advanced Technology
#13 - 2013-06-09 02:15:22 UTC  |  Edited by: To mare
Stegas Tyrano wrote:
Aren't they the most durable of the 4 races drones? They might be seeing more use to them being more survivable maybe?

they have a little more hp but at light drones level you will hardly notice the difference.

hobs deal more damage than acolites even to em weak rats but they are very close, acolites have the advantage that they are faster than hobs so sometime when drones have to trave, alot from target to target they kill stuff faster than hobs, thats what some mission runners in my corp told me (and maybe they are cheaper?) i still use hobs for the occasional mission because im lazy tho
To mare
Advanced Technology
#14 - 2013-06-09 02:20:52 UTC
Grandma Squirel wrote:
Dave Stark wrote:

Having fast and slow drones is a good thing. People have good reasons for using both Warriors and Hobgoblins. The problem is that you either want max dps, or max speed. The other drones are a bad combination. They should have 2 types of fast drones, and 2 slow, dps for each pair would be the same, and they would do different damage types. Alternatively, they could make the middle of the road drones nearly as good in both stats, so that they may actually be the best choice to apply damage to a somewhat fast target.

actually hornets are a good compromise of speed and damage its just amarr drone that sux, if they reaaly rad a major tank advantage over other drones they could have some use but to compensate the other stats they would need to tank quite alot lets say an amarr light should have the same hp of a ogre II and then go up from that
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#15 - 2013-06-09 03:05:02 UTC
on a semirelated note: is there any common use case where it would be better if sentries stay in place instead of orbiting the ship that launched them?

I should buy an Ishtar.

Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#16 - 2013-06-09 03:22:26 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Soon™, basically

I'd say its more on the eventually list, which seems to come 3 years after soon™

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Deacon Abox
Black Eagle5
#17 - 2013-06-09 05:29:13 UTC
Some guy told me that acolytes were good for orbiting Uranus. But I always discounted his advice seeing as he was an Amarr religious nut. He sure did seem to like those things though. Had to shut him off on comms link. I really don't want to hear that kind of stuff, unless it's a female voice.

Anyway, acolytes are the second fastest light drones. So even though the damage modifier is ****, against a frigate shield tank that is often not hardened but just extendered they might be as/more useful than warriors. But then warriors are so fast they can usually catch the blighters very well and you don't have to think much about the numbers.

Fixing the drone stats appears to be not on balancing team's radar. So if you have an acolyte II BPO just keep dreaming.Straight

CCP, there are off buttons for ship explosions, missile effects, turret effects, etc. "Immersion" does not seem to be harmed by those. So, [u]please[/u] give us a persisting off button for the jump gate and autoscan visuals.

Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2013-06-09 08:25:43 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
on a semirelated note: is there any common use case where it would be better if sentries stay in place instead of orbiting the ship that launched them?

Probably any case when said orbiting is fast enough to cause tracking issues. I'd prefer sentries to "keep at range" rather than "orbit" if sentries' ability to keep up with the host is ever to be implemented.
Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#19 - 2013-06-09 14:33:18 UTC
Barrogh Habalu wrote:
Daniel Plain wrote:

Probably any case when said orbiting is fast enough to cause tracking issues. I'd prefer sentries to "keep at range" rather than "orbit" if sentries' ability to keep up with the host is ever to be implemented.

i was about to say 'limit their speed' but that would mean they would be trailing behind he faster ships 99% of the time... then there's also the MJD...

I should buy an Ishtar.

Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#20 - 2013-06-09 16:26:39 UTC
I use amarrian drones for one reason and that is because of looks. sure i am outstripped in dps and speed but damn do they look good while my ship is torn apart by those ugly ogre II's Bear

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

12Next page