These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

View of a newbie

Author
Garresh
Mackies Raiders
Wild Geese.
#21 - 2013-06-08 08:00:29 UTC
It takes a long time to get banned from a region through fw. Also implant loss is exceedingly rare. All my implant losses in few were because of lag or stupidity, and that's only like 2 poddings in 3 years of living in lowsec. Either way, its the sort of thing you can back out of at any time. Set your own schedule, play how you want. It opens doors, not closes them.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Karsa Egivand
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#22 - 2013-06-08 08:08:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Karsa Egivand
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
Cass Lie wrote:
I will just say that you had bad luck going into null. It sounds like you didn't join a particularly newbie friendly organisation (which makes me wonder why they recruited you in the first place) that was quite bad to top it off. Also, joining while getting invaded by PL is pretty much the worst time possible. Not all null alliances are like that however, some of them offer plenty of support for their newbies.

That said, I second the FW suggestion. Plenty of small gang cruiser sized warfare, good isk to be made even by a newer player, no do or die CTAs.

Probably.

My problem with FW as I understand it is that 1. I WILL die thus loosing my implants yet again and more importantly 2. I will loose faction standings with other empires to the point I will get blown up even attempting to leave Caldari space. Maybe I'm wrong?

You know about jump clones? (Use one with no or cheap implants, besides, FW is lowsec, and you don't lose your capsule that often in lowsec - no bubbles).

You will lose some faction standing, so if that is a big issue, I'd suggest joining ...

1. RvB. They sound right up your alley. All they care about is a lot of good fights, they are very newbie friendly, as long as the newbie wants to learn and fly spaceships - which you seem to do. (RvB = Red vs Blue. two highsec corps in perpetual war, when threatened by third parties, they join up = Purple and beat the crap out of them)
  2. Brave Newbies They do not care about anything but losing their spaceships and killing others while doing so. (recruitment video)
  3. If you want a more thorough and methodical approach, the traditional way would be Eve University. They hold classes, have a lowsec camp where you can get your hands dirty or you join their fleets for an introduction to big fleets (I prefer their lowsec approach over their blob fleets though). You can learn a lot from their wiki and esp. their class library even if you aren't a member.

Have fun, you do have the right attitude and I think with all of the three above, you'll be around for a long while.
Fenris Purvanen
#23 - 2013-06-08 08:31:25 UTC
Sergeant Acht Scultz wrote:
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
Interesting point of view

However, I can safely tell you you got no luck on your first corp/alliance, that happened and still happens to everyone around.
You can't assume all your corp/alliance experiences will be the same just because the recruitment tool lead you to "x" or "y" whatever corp/alliance that is no good.

Newbbies are awesome in fleets, you put a couple of those with more experienced players camping the gates while the large group is doing stuff and newbbies will die a lot but they'll do tons of important stuff, PIN DOW the pesky badies !!
They don't need to make bazillion isk a month so taxes get in, they need to learn the game first and this means help them get the bases of pvp, give them free frigates so they can die again and again and again and still come back to the fight "x" jumps away.

Often those newbies get nice rewards from FC's or players because they did a good job, it's so dam fun to get newbies in your fleet (the moment they learn to listen and stop blahblahing all the time).
Some bad corp/alliance doesn't like them or can't make them play and get the game I'd say it's nice !! -they're creating their own future enemies and I WILL help them get their revenge at some point, some isk and motivation: think how hard you will kick them in the nuts when you'll pin down one of their caps worth billions isk, sweet revenge is sweet.l

Lol now where were YOU when I was corp hunting.

In blood, Isk, or tears, I will get paid all the same.

Moneta Curran
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-06-08 08:32:48 UTC
You're out there. That's a good thing.

Don't take **** from anyone. If they tell you you can't join ops as low skill as a ******* gate camp and make you mine instead, tell them to go **** themselves. I would.
Amitious Turkey
10kSubnautic
Warriors of the Blood God
#25 - 2013-06-08 08:36:32 UTC
Sevastian Liao wrote:
The tone of your post doesn't really come across as "just laying down your experiences", but ok.

Your experience sounds like it comes down to "Can't find the right group of guys to fly with". Joining the wrong type of corporation in the first case, and relying too much on the recruitment channel in the second. I've taken a look in the channel - and it's reminiscent of a cesspool, you're not going to find the people of your choice there. Try settling into / solo flying around in lowsec/nullsec/wormhole space for a bit, chat up the locals, introduce yourself, get to know them. The type of guys you're trying to fly with generally won't be the type to advertise all over the forums and the recruitment channel.

Oh, you might get still blown up a couple times in the process though. So that's probably not going to change. Some of them might actually invite you to join them only after your ship/pod's a smoking wreck.

This tbh. I only found the guys I'm currently flying with after time spent flying in wormholes. Spent a whole month living by myself in a C2 in only a Typhoon, it was great. Since I couldn't find the right guys to fly with (until now), I decided to forge my own path, and ended up with guys with similar interests. I once scared a newb spitless by er...sneaking up to him and bumping him. I was in an uncloaked drake from 50 km away. Admittedly, I had disguised myself by naming my ship after a planet in system.
I then provided useful links to wormhole exploration and dscan/overview stuff to show what he did wrong. Since he took it well, I invited him to explore whenever he wanted another guy to watch his back.
I would have done the same to that Tornado I caught mining in that C2 I lived in, but...he never gave me the chance

I have been on the other end of the barrel as well, when I was a newb. Can flipping. Oh, joy. But the guys were polite and showed me what I had done wrong. It's something we've all gone through...it's a sort of initiation.

I will agree that the SP req is ridiculous for a certain number of corps out there, but they usually do that because they're looking for dedicated players and the easiest way to tell is by the SP amount (at least on the surface). Some, like my corp, want to ensure that you can participate in the fun stuff-- that's why they require you to be able to fly at least a t3 for example (exceptions exist because we sometimes find people we like and are sure will benefit our fun).

I'd like to do fun stuff with newbies, but sometimes that simply can't happen. This is changing, however, like with the changes in scanning and probes. Just today I got to spend time ninja mining with a friend. I have 800k sp on him (and I was playing my alt), but we could still engage in ninja mining together in wormholes. All because CCP changed the system and the skills, woohoo! (I could have done the same with Amitious, my main, but he is stuck deep in wh space atm)

On another note...
Sometimes people will tell you not to undock and engage because the corp can't take the losses in a lengthy or committed engagement. Other times (and this might be more applicable in your case) it may be because the war they're fighting is an unwilling war and more losses encourages the other side to continually wardec you, preventing you from access to hisec trade hubs. TRECI (my corp) has been involved in that sort of thing before. As much as we want to pew, our pew would be much less fun if we had no way to replace our ships!

I'd highly encourage you to check out Eve University. Once you're finished with them, the smart corps will want you. TRECI has taken UNI grads (I think about 70% of our number is UNI grads actually), and we teach classes on wormhole dwelling and such as well. I think we've even done field trips for curious newbies Big smile

Moneta Curran wrote:
You're out there. That's a good thing.

Don't take **** from anyone. If they tell you you can't join ops as low skill as a ******* gate camp and make you mine instead, tell them to go **** themselves. I would.

And this. Truth.

I like to lick things.

Haunting the forums since 03.

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#26 - 2013-06-08 18:54:13 UTC
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Your old corp sucks. Name and shame please.

They were not bad guys and ran a successful outfit, it just was not for me. They were never assholes to me, we just did not see eye to eye.

Their corp policy is to actively discourage new players from trying out anything fun or different other than mining and cowering in a station from hostiles. They've pushed you, and doubtless other recruits, from 'excited wide-eyed newbie' to 'bored of Eve and reconsidering their subscription'. They are, in their petty and selfish attitudes, actively damaging the game by driving away the lifeblood of new players by making them think that Eve is a game about F1'ing a rock whilst AFK and running away whenever other players show up.

They may not have called you names or blown up your ship, but that doesn't mean they don't suck.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Liam Inkuras
Furnace
#27 - 2013-06-08 19:19:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Liam Inkuras
Red VS Blue sounds perfect for you. Pure pvp day in and day out. No politics, just pew pew. They don't teach you how to pvp, but you learn the ropes very quick and are sure to find someone who wouldn't mind taking some time off and helping you out. No need to worry about podding in RvB, as it is not allowed. They run fleets almost all day and a hero rifter is always welcome. Just keep your head held high, your hand on your F1 key, and make sh!t go boom.

Edit: they also have a "noob fleet" program in which they gather as many newbros as possible and hold special little events for them with awesome rewards (faction frigates, ship packages, etc...)

I wear my goggles at night.

Any spelling/grammatical errors come complimentary with my typing on a phone

Haulie Berry
#28 - 2013-06-08 19:36:32 UTC
Yup, you found yourself in a ****** alliance. It happens.

You probably could have avoided a lot of frustration if you had just come to the forum sooner. Definitely check out faction war, Brave Newbies, Red Vs Blue, etc.

Also, don't pay too much attention to SP requirements in corp recruitment. It's very common that they are not a hard and fast rule, and many corps will waive that requirement for a new player with a good attitude.
Garresh
Mackies Raiders
Wild Geese.
#29 - 2013-06-08 20:13:12 UTC
Seriously who were these guys? I need names. They need a good hard dickslapping.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Desiderya
Blue Canary
Watch This
#30 - 2013-06-08 20:17:07 UTC
First off - I love motivated newbies.
Having FW experience I think that's the best entry point for a PvP interested player. It allows you to get small gang fights in small ship classes while offering a way to generate significant income that's very newbie friendly.

Speaking from said experience I say that attitude is far more important than SP or EVE-Experience. The later two will come on their own if the attitude is there, but neither time spent in the game nor SP grow attitude. Willingness to light **** on fire, ability to deal with setbacks and the eagerness to improve yourself and help your fellow corp/alliancemates is most important. In the proper outfit, it will get reciprocated. We are, for example, requiring a newbie to spend about 2-3 days of training before putting the into our AK-47 style condors the alliance provides, and bang - they're fit for action.

When hunting for a corp I think you should look at your interests, and not just the best way to get there. If you're into industry, pve or pvp first is most important.

Having said that, I wish you good luck with hunting for a corp. :)

Ruthlessness is the kindness of the wise.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#31 - 2013-06-08 21:14:09 UTC
OP... hop into a jump clone and blitz into low-sec. Yes... you'll train slower (like... 10, 15% slower) but it's better than being afraid and you'll gain good experience from it. And with that experience you gain you'll learn how to get your pod out when you lose your ships... and then you can go back to using your implants again full time.

I personally fly around low-sec with a billion ISK implant set in my head. Haven't lost it in about a year.

As for skillpoint restrictions when apply for corps... ignore it. They're there to scare off the general rabble. If you talk to a recruiter, diplomat, director, CEO, etc. and show that you have a good working foundation of EVE's mechanics and a good mentality... you'll be accepted without much fuss.

Those that DO turn you away based on skillpoint restrictions are corps you didn't want to join anyways.

As for the FC that kicked you away from a fleet-op because you couldn't fly a battleship... he was an idiot. Every ship counts... even a newbie's frigate. Hell... you could have been more useful than those battleships when sitting on gates. You can catch the odd cruiser or destroyer that passes by while they can't.
Demica Diaz
SE-1
#32 - 2013-06-08 21:21:03 UTC
Good read OP, it seems you have bigger balls than your 0.0 corp haha. I hope you find your place in EVE, dont give up and never take **** from anyone. This is game after all, ignore those EVE mongoloids who think its real life simulator. Bear
Rexxorr
Perkone
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-06-08 21:32:53 UTC
Red VS Blue, sounds like thats the place you want to be, they are in a constant state of war, fly cheap ships and take most anyone willing to undock for a fight. They don't pod each other as a general rule.

Good Luck
Silivar Karkun
Doomheim
#34 - 2013-06-08 21:33:53 UTC
for the OP, i know that feel bro, first time i got in the game joined a corp for Red Alliance, bad decision, while i have respect for the russians, my corp was as boring as what you describe, neutral in local?, docked all day, mining?, lol nope, go kill x rats until you have enough money to pay a bigger ship with better modules.

y preferred to start anew with this account and stay in high sec, i learned a lot from this game since then, planning to leave empire space someday, when CCP make it worth it.
Thur Khagah
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#35 - 2013-06-09 00:43:09 UTC
First of all, welcome to EvE.
That Universe needs new players like you i think, people who are willing to go out there, learn, ask the right questions, and aren't afraid to loose a few ships to have fun. So don't you dare to give up yet, there is still hope. Forget about the big 0.0 Alliances for the moment, what you need is a quick fix of fun, and a demonstration of the possibility EvE holds for a promising young Pilot like you.

So, several people already suggested FW and RvB to you, and i really think that's just the right thing for you to do right now.
That doesn't even say you have to stop watching for a corp that recruits, you can for example drop out of RvB whenever you feel like. And until then you don't sit on a station, watch the channels and be bored, you're out there, flying your rifter with and against others, hunt the alone or in groups, watch your inexpensive little frigs go up in flames again and again, but you'll have fun.

Really, in my opinion there is no downside for you in going out there and try it.
Amarra Mandalin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2013-06-09 01:22:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarra Mandalin
You're letting your implants ruin your fun.

I know, it was liberating to run w/o them myself for a time when smartbombing BSes and caps were a problem in my area.

But you're least likely to lose them in RvB as there is a no podding policy and unless you just sit there and someone makes a mistake, it shouldn't happen.

And people have explained jump clones...and all you need is a couple +3s. I don't understand why you don't want to run your level 4s if Isk is a problem, but whatever, as long as you have self-sufficiency covered.

Otherwise, there are other corps that would take you that you may like, be it Null or FW or otherwise; but obtaining a solid basic PvP foundation will minimize your losses and increase your chances for success and accommodate your implant concerns.

I know some people FCing who are 3 mos. old and doing a heck of job, considering.

P.S. I think this character has the least PvP experience of the 3 main ones I had/have so I'm not just speaking from limited experience or RVB love.

And Welcome to EVE -- It should get better, much better, if you make it happen. Best of Luck.
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#37 - 2013-06-09 01:53:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Your old corp sucks. Name and shame please.

This ----^ . You don't owe them anything. They suck and have no business outside of highsec. Post their name here so that others may avoid the waste of time that you experienced.

As for options that might work for new players with your kind of attitude; CVA isn't hard to infiltrate, ere I mean join. In game CVA-diplo chat channel. Brave newbies is a great outfit for new guys. Test and Goons have awesome intro programs but you have to join through their oog forums, Reddit, and Something awful respectively. Eve university is also excellent, they have a long interview process but really its worth it.

You have fallen prey to carebears, fear not, it is easily remedied. And you will feel much better after having ganked a few dozen of them.
Psychotic Monk
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#38 - 2013-06-09 01:59:41 UTC
They don't have business inside highsec either.
Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#39 - 2013-06-09 02:00:11 UTC
Fenris Purvanen wrote:
DRGaius Baltar wrote:
TLDR

I apologize profusely for testing the limitations of your gnat like attention span. Roll

Well you have shittalking at level 5 I see so you'll do ok. Lol
Corey Fumimasa
CFM Salvage
#40 - 2013-06-09 02:04:40 UTC
Psychotic Monk wrote:
They don't have business inside highsec either.

Target