These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

NSA Backdoor into US service providers.

Author
Othran
Route One
#21 - 2013-06-07 12:44:27 UTC
Well it appears that they've admitted PRISM exists - Google et al are still claiming ignorance, but its clearly bullshit from them.

So all that means is that if you live outside the USA then don't use the services as the NSA is legally monitoring you.

Can't see anyone wearing google glass being very welcome anywhere........
stoicfaux
#22 - 2013-06-07 12:45:10 UTC
Slade Trillgon wrote:
Jada Maroo wrote:
James Clapper, the Director of National Intelligence, just released a letter copping to and essentially declassifying the program.

No worries though -- he says there's a secret court that protects us and we can trust the government not to abuse the power.

And he said the whistleblower is a real douchebag for telling us.

Phew!

I feel better now.

SCANDAL. OVER.

I just have to say that governments were initially created as the common man can not be trusted either. Just saying. The problems we have with government are just large and obvious examples of the inherent flaws of the human condition.

Yes, but in a capitalistic, democratic society *everyone* shares in the corruption. That equality of opportunity is at risk with so much information/power being concentrated in the hands of a few. (Much more so than usual.)

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#23 - 2013-06-07 12:48:56 UTC
Othran wrote:
Well it appears that they've admitted PRISM exists - Google et al are still claiming ignorance, but its clearly bullshit from them.

So all that means is that if you live outside the USA then don't use the services as the NSA is legally monitoring you.

Legal my ******* arse, I don't recall Parliament passing a bill legalising it.

I hope that the investigations over here close down the subsidiaries of corporations in the UK taking part in such actions, or a forceful demerger. It's highly illegal, might even be treasonous to do this under the law.

For the record I am quite miffed at this, and the above is my impulsive reaction.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Othran
Route One
#24 - 2013-06-07 13:03:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Othran
Kirjava wrote:
Othran wrote:

Legal my ******* arse, I don't recall Parliament passing a bill legalising it.

I hope that the investigations over here close down the subsidiaries of corporations in the UK taking part in such actions, or a forceful demerger. It's highly illegal, might even be treasonous to do this under the law.

For the record I am quite miffed at this, and the above is my impulsive reaction.

You misunderstand. I mean its legal in the USA for the NSA to run PRISM against foreigners and foreign communications.

Frankly the idea that any US company gives a **** about local laws in foreign countries is laughable. Once upon a time maybe but not anytime recently. US law is the be-all and end-all because they are US companies and the govt will shut them down for non-compliance.

There's a fairly easy answer - don't use those companies for any sensitive comms unless you are :

a) a citizen of the USA;
b) living in the USA and aren't communicating with services/people outside the USA.

Its hardly a surprise TBH, the only surprise is that the document leaked so rapidly after the journalist wiretapping scandal. Someone is going to jail for the rest of their natural life if the US govt finds out who leaked it.

/me shrugs
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#25 - 2013-06-07 13:15:21 UTC
Well, the Telegraph identified Verizon's subsidiary in the UK of being a part of this.

If there is one thing the EU takes seriously, it's consumer rights and protection.

It's a rock and a hard place with for these corporations, if they want to trade inside the EU they need to do one thing, and trade in then US another thing entirely.

The surprise to me is that they are manipulating the IP connections at a top level to make additional communications route through the USA. An internal traffic from say London to Paris might "accidentally" get routed via the USA to get there, and hence monitored.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#26 - 2013-06-07 13:45:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
I always knew there was a reason I have stuck with Old-Skool Clamshell DumbPhones this entire time.

At least they don't know it ALL.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#27 - 2013-06-08 10:38:30 UTC
It continues, Google's response details that they never heard of it, and leaves open the possibility the NSA went over the legal departments heads to directly tap in if they did.

Broadly similar responses from Microsoft and Apple.

Interestingly a fair few of the more left leaning Youtube channels I have subscribed to have done a 180 turn and called for Obama to be impeached over this.

Its a spot tricky to see what's going on given its through the internet, the bit effected by all of this that I am most likely to encounter a more biased opinion towards an anti covert program.

GCHQ involvement is headline news in the Guardian, as it seems that Prism could be a collaborative project as opposed to being a purely American one. That, or the NSA was operating in the UK without the knowledge of the Foreign office.

The saga continues.... Anything interesting on the American side or continental Europe?

Hrothgar Nilsson
#28 - 2013-06-08 10:55:47 UTC
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2013-06-08 11:23:17 UTC
in this thread: it's proved that mankind can't be trusted at all.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Grog Barrel
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2013-06-08 15:07:39 UTC
Aragoni wrote:
"America, the land of the free hurr durr". Ugh

our amerifriends are still free to think... as long as they keep it for themselves.
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#31 - 2013-06-08 15:15:30 UTC
Watched Bill Maher's reaction, he didn't seem to know what to make of it one way or another.

jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#32 - 2013-06-08 16:53:59 UTC
TBH I don't see what all the fuss is about NSA/GCHQ have been doing wire tapping for ages the FBI use GCHQ to bug mobile phones in the US because theirs something in the US constitution (insert amendment here) that doesn't allow them to do it legally .so they get the brits to do it .and in return the yanks spy on us ..

theres nothing new in this ...its been going on for ages I should know I worked for a company that was involved in doing it .
linky for those that don't believe .racal instruments
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#33 - 2013-06-08 18:30:27 UTC
Maybe its some throbbing French vain in me screaming for liberty, but I think I still have the right to be a spot miffed at this.

jason hill
#34 - 2013-06-08 19:19:02 UTC
not really ..your a commodty ..just like the rest of us ..your just a tool to be used ..and abused just like the rest of us
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#35 - 2013-06-08 19:41:56 UTC
I didn't ask for this...

I hope the EU crushes this through market regulation.

jason hill
#36 - 2013-06-08 20:16:04 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
I didn't ask for this...

I hope the EU crushes this through market regulation.

not wanting to bust your bubble mate ..but do you really think the EU can do anything to stop this ?. your deluded if you think they can EU = toothless dragons
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#37 - 2013-06-08 20:33:22 UTC
This is being done via corporations operating subsidiaries in the EU member states for some of the data sourced according to the Telegraph.

Assuming that is correct, then yes the EU has jurisdiction and can issue heavy fines, hopefully crippling in this case for not acting in the interests of its member states. See what happened with Microsoft for including a browser in its OS or Intel for bribery.

EU has balls when it comes to making foreign corporations pay for anticompetitive practices, and they've been circling Google for a while now...

jason hill
#38 - 2013-06-08 20:46:16 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
This is being done via corporations operating subsidiaries in the EU member states for some of the data sourced according to the Telegraph.

Assuming that is correct, then yes the EU has jurisdiction and can issue heavy fines, hopefully crippling in this case for not acting in the interests of its member states. See what happened with Microsoft for including a browser in its OS or Intel for bribery.

EU has balls when it comes to making foreign corporations pay for anticompetitive practices, and they've been circling Google for a while now...

wrong ..EU pays lip service to big corporations and fines them miniscule amounts.. ...when was the last time EU put anyone in prison for anti competitive practices ... errrm ....never ...you think they are going to do it to US companies ?.

an example how pathetic the EU is
when the brits had their stint as the head of the EU ...what was their big mandate ... oh yes seat belts on coaches ...wow that really made a fkn difference ...when was the last time u saw anyone wearing a fkn seatbelt on a fkn bus ?.

EU .WASTE OF FKN SPACE
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#39 - 2013-06-08 20:50:27 UTC
I would take you more seriously if you used capital letters and punctuation for the record.

But hey, EU v Intel 2009, EU v Microsoft..

jason hill
#40 - 2013-06-08 20:55:22 UTC
Kirjava wrote:
I would take you more seriously if you used capital letters and punctuation for the record.

But hey, EU v Intel 2009, EU v Microsoft..

fair enough ...I wasn't taught capital letters and punctuation at school ..so my bad at comprehension