These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Proposal: Ship AI voice - for immersion, info and racial/ship differentiation

Author
Kakuzo Noud
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#1 - 2013-06-08 11:13:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Kakuzo Noud
One of the things that bothered me when I started using bigger ships, is that because there is nothing to compare scale with, they didn't feel "bigger". Yes, they have more slots, more dps/tank and more mass, but the feeling was the same.

Same thing when trying ships from other races.

My idea is to add a "ship AI", which is basically a voice that you hear while flying in space. The voice announces random things as they happen, such as hostiles entering the overview, jumping a stargate, taking damage, getting disrupted, etc. More stuff can be added for fluff, like the ship's AI opinion on Jitta when entering the system "watch out for scammers", or history of famous sites as you pass them by.

The same ship AI voice can be used for all ships for testing purposes. But using different voices for different races can be a great immersion tool, bringing that faction to life. In addition, different ship AI's can be used for different ship roles/sizes, with some extra SFX. For example, for big ships a deep echo and bass, or a higher pitch for intty's, etc.

As my idea is 99% immersion and doesn't affect gameplay much, I can't see a downside to this besides the effort it would take from CCP, and the cost to record voice actors. Older players could decide to turn it off, but for newer players I think this will be tons of fun and another means of drawing them in.

EDIT:
tl;dr - replace Aura with race-specific ship AI, and expand it to include lore and more notifications.
Shadow Lord77
Shadow Industries I
#2 - 2013-06-08 13:07:55 UTC
Make the VA Bill Cosby and you've got yourself a deal!
wafflethief
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-06-08 13:08:06 UTC
you want to sack and replace Aura? :(

eve chronicle/backstory: http://community.eveonline.com/backstory/?cid=13-08-07

eve wiki page: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Aura
Alvatore DiMarco
Capricious Endeavours Ltd
#4 - 2013-06-08 14:09:52 UTC
-1 for wanting to replace Aura.

+1 for putting Aura back in the game like she should be.

CCP, what is wrong with you people? Slowly removing Aura from EVE, little by little. You should feel great shame at your actions.
Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#5 - 2013-06-08 14:25:06 UTC
I would like the option to add new voice options, inspired by african american comedians impersonations of 1970's Jive dialect, as displayed in the comedy movie Airplane, etc.

A secondary version would be Gary Coleman's voice as the Arnold character from the well known sit-com of 40 years ago. Google if curious.

Kakuzo Noud
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#6 - 2013-06-08 19:36:00 UTC
Nothing wrong with Aura in general, I just feel a lot more can be done with it.

inb4 someone suggests an R2D2 voice, exclusively bought through the NEX store (or whatever it's called).
Theodore Giumbix
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-06-08 19:42:01 UTC
This will be too nice to have it that's why I think we will never get it.

+1 if is says which cloaky campers are afk or not.

Yo, New Eden, got capsuleers in da house. What's up? And their pimped rides. Yo, capsuleer, if ya want me to unpimp your ride, lemme hear ya say Wat?

Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#8 - 2013-06-08 20:04:41 UTC
I'd really like mine to be Mountain Man from "Duck Dynasty", please.

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.

Rayzilla Zaraki
Yin Jian Enterprises
#9 - 2013-06-08 20:08:42 UTC
Nikk Narrel wrote:
I would like the option to add new voice options, inspired by african american comedians impersonations of 1970's Jive dialect, as displayed in the comedy movie Airplane, etc.

A secondary version would be Gary Coleman's voice as the Arnold character from the well known sit-com of 40 years ago. Google if curious.

I'm disappointed in you Nikk.

How about the voice of David Tate as Eddie the computer system of the Heart of Gold?

Gate campers are just Carebears with anger issues.

ExAstra
Echoes of Silence
#10 - 2013-06-08 20:22:54 UTC  |  Edited by: ExAstra
I would absolutely love this. Just make sure there's an option to turn it off, this would be annoying as hell when getting blobbed in null.

Or while blobbing.

IMO voice should doubtlessly be AURA. But having unique voices would be cool, too. I want a sexy french AI lady when I'm in my Megathron.

Save the drones!

Nikk Narrel
Moonlit Bonsai
#11 - 2013-06-08 21:33:09 UTC
Rayzilla Zaraki wrote:
Nikk Narrel wrote:

I'm disappointed in you Nikk.

How about the voice of David Tate as Eddie the computer system of the Heart of Gold?

Only if you want people seeking Magrathea.

Personally, I would rather have the voice of Marvin from the BBC version of Hitchhikers, Stephen Moore.

Sure, some ships would spontaneously activate their self destruct systems, but it would be fun....
Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#12 - 2013-06-09 08:48:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Maximus Aerelius
ExAstra wrote:
I want a sexy french AI lady when I'm in my Megathron.

You've just suggested the 1st FOTM if this came in...shame on you sir! lol

EDIT:

A strict Queens English school mistress for Caldari please Blink
ExAstra
Echoes of Silence
#13 - 2013-06-09 12:30:10 UTC
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
ExAstra wrote:

EDIT:

Nah, Caldari definitely need a sexy russian accent.

Save the drones!

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#14 - 2013-06-09 12:53:41 UTC
great idea overall, I think more could be done with Aura who I always thought was embedded in your neo-com so changing ships wouldn't matter.

It would be good though if we had more racial flavouring to eve though.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#15 - 2013-06-09 12:54:15 UTC
Theodore Giumbix wrote:
This will be too nice to have it that's why I think we will never get it.

-1 if is says which cloaky campers are afk or not.

Fixed that for you...

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Maximus Aerelius
PROPHET OF ENIGMA
#16 - 2013-06-09 12:55:26 UTC
ExAstra wrote:
Maximus Aerelius wrote:
ExAstra wrote:

EDIT:

Nah, Caldari definitely need a sexy russian accent.

Only if her voice reminds me of this video.

Oh and you're very welcome! Blink
Mike Voidstar
Voidstar Free Flight Foundation
#17 - 2013-06-09 22:40:22 UTC
I like the idea of (perhaps optional) different AI voices to increase the feeling of immersion. Could have a few personalities, so that warships seemed more aggressive than explorers or scouts. Interceptors could talk really fast, while battleships could have deep, imposing voices.

I am however shocked that none of the more piratical folks caught this part:

Kakuzo Noud wrote:

My idea is to add a "ship AI", which is basically a voice that you hear while flying in space. The voice announces random things as they happen, such as hostiles entering the overview, jumping a stargate, taking damage, getting disrupted, etc. More stuff can be added for fluff, like the ship's AI opinion on Jitta when entering the system "watch out for scammers", or history of famous sites as you pass them by.

Given the unholy rage that erupted a few years back when someone developed a third party program that sniffed the packets going to local and announced when hostiles entered the system I'm shocked the OP didn't burst into flame just for suggesting it.