These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Would muting the Jita local improve the situation ?

Author
Sheynan
Lighting the blight
#1 - 2013-06-08 15:32:04 UTC
I say we should just flat out mute the local chat in Jita for everyone. To discourage bots and to reduce the load. It's not like a local chat in a system with thousands of players is that useful anyway.

Would that help with the server load ?
Amanda Chelian
#2 - 2013-06-08 15:33:42 UTC
In the grand scheme of things, I'd assume the load generated by chat is tiny compared to hundreds of ships flying around and bumping with each other, and thousands of market orders being processed constantly.
Sheynan
Lighting the blight
#3 - 2013-06-08 15:36:35 UTC
Discouraging bots was the main idea. There would be no reason to log a spam bot on in Jita if it could not spam.
ElQuirko
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-06-08 15:43:12 UTC
Keep them in there for containment purposes. Rens, Amarr, Dodixie and Hek are all lovely without the spambots that Jita contains. They'd just move if Jita was muted.

Dodixie > Hek

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#5 - 2013-06-08 15:49:13 UTC
Jita attracts all the mindless sheep and keeps them from clogging up the fun parts of the game.

I say keep it as it is.

Mr Epeen Cool
Mc Scam
Doomheim
#6 - 2013-06-08 15:52:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Mc Scam
Ever tried to actually count spambots with a new char on 1 day just during primetime? Last time I did it there were less than 100. Removing local would improve the situation slightly but the problem would still be there getting worse continuously.

You can actually help right now by identifying the bots and reporting them and by redirecting newbros who wish to get into the trade business to other hubs (which makes perfect sense since the profit margins with small volume are quite small for people with small wallets in Jita).

Also if you are one of these damn 10min+ afk dudes consider logging out or parking in a nearby system until you are actually there, otherwise you are part of the cause of the problem and have no right to complain.
Delen Ormand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-06-08 16:04:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Delen Ormand
Sheynan wrote:
Discouraging bots was the main idea. There would be no reason to log a spam bot on in Jita if it could not spam.

It might help a little with the population limit, but I don't think there's that many spam bots. If you start blocking spammers in local, it doesn't take much to cut down the spam by a lot, which would imply that it's a relatively small amount of bots who just spam a lot.

But the population limit is presumably a response to reduce server workload, and I don't suppose spamming produces much of a load itself, in which case the goal should really be to reduce the server load. I'd be interested in knowing more about the effect of trading bots, as I reckon they'd have more of an effect on server load as they'd constantly be updating orders and pulling market info. Us players aren't going to be able to gauge that effect just from playing, though - that'd take looking into from CCP's end.

:edit:
Actually, scratch that. Looks like market stuff is on a seperate node.
RawKrung
Ingenuus Sidera
#8 - 2013-06-09 18:47:56 UTC
Jita would need a kind of extra taxation to incentivate people choose around systems where set up market orders and avoid station gankings
Lexmana
#9 - 2013-06-09 18:49:38 UTC
You can mut it yourself by minimising local chat. It has almsot the same effect and it will improve the situation for most people.
Lugia3
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-06-09 19:33:01 UTC
Posting in a stealth nerf scams thead.

"CCP Dolan is full of shit." - CCP Bettik

Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#11 - 2013-06-09 19:35:26 UTC
Sheynan wrote:
I say we should just flat out mute the local chat in Jita for everyone. To discourage bots and to reduce the load. It's not like a local chat in a system with thousands of players is that useful anyway.

Would that help with the server load ?

According to the DEV posts in this thread, no.

Double facepalm for you because the above thread is on the front page of GD.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Haulie Berry
#12 - 2013-06-09 19:39:36 UTC
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3174870#post3174870

Short answer no, long answer noooooooooooooooooooo.

Banning idiots who keep making new threads about this would be a huge help, though.
GreenSeed
#13 - 2013-06-09 19:50:56 UTC  |  Edited by: GreenSeed
removing local chat would only get rid of the spammers, if you pay attention you'll see that at any given time there's 10 or so.

it would do nothing to remove the market bots, the market freaks that refuse to go to sleep, the chat trolls, and the lolduelers, and the dudes having sweaty cyberbuttsex on CBTB.

the best solution would be for you to roll a dice and simply change any reference to "jita" in any of your bookmarks to:

1 = Dodi
2 = Amarr
3 = Hek
4 = Rens
5 = Jita
6 = random 0.0 station where you don't have docking rights.

and if you see something missing on your new market hub, buy a BPO, manufacture it, ????, PROFIT!.

welcome to EVEonline.
Morganta
The Greater Goon
#14 - 2013-06-09 19:52:38 UTC
there's more spam coming from players who don't know how block works and feel that 200 newlines is the solution to spam

just don't look at it
Blake Gates Heleneto
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-06-09 19:55:42 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Jita attracts all the mindless sheep and keeps them from clogging up the fun parts of the game.

I say keep it as it is.

Mr Epeen Cool

This.
Oxandrolone
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-06-09 20:27:38 UTC
They need to add an AFK system so if you are in Jita for more than 1 hour without any computer activity it kicks you off the server.

Since Vista there has been a method to detect when you are away from keyboard, CCP just needs to work it into the client.
Djana Libra
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2013-06-09 20:31:24 UTC
Oxandrolone wrote:
They need to add an AFK system so if you are in Jita for more than 1 hour without any computer activity it kicks you off the server.

Since Vista there has been a method to detect when you are away from keyboard, CCP just needs to work it into the client.

No they don't.... nothing wrong with being AFK in game.

is it so hard for people to understand that they dont HAVE to go to jita but can use other systems to trade?
Just lift the damn user cap let tidi hit jita all the time and maybe, maybe some people will see the light and realize they can make more money elsewhere just not that fast.