These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solo Roam: Anti-Tengu Hull/Weapon Advice

Author
Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-06-07 13:33:54 UTC
Have some questions as I'm at the point of getting into the advanced training of skills, and at the stage to pick faction specialization skills (hulls and weapons). All these new ship changes puts any previous planning up in the air (since Amarr ships got some buffs - never considered them before).

Questions:

1. For solo roams if faced against a Tengu (seems to be a very popular ship and probably will encounter it the most), what's the tank like T1 or T2 ship counter against it (as I prefer the tank/brawler play style)? I'll be training up the Drake, but wondering of other possibilities that could be better (cheaper than just buying a T3 to face T3s too).

Trying to make some rock, paper, scissor sense out of counters and builds...

2. Armor tanking better against shield tanks? Or no real difference?
3. Would projectile or even energy weapons be better to counter HAM fits?
4. Active or passive tanking better for solos (higher resists with risk of being heavily neuted vs less worry of cap drain before killing the target in time)?

Advice?

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

l0rd carlos
New Order Outreach Division
CODE.
#2 - 2013-06-07 13:47:20 UTC
Boosted 100mn tengu? That is hard. I don't think there is a real hard counter if you are solo.
IF you can land on 0km a armor cane with double web can work, but that is a big if.

10mn PvE tangus die fast though.

I don't see that many PvP Tengus nowdays. Why do you think they are that common? In lowsec FW you see lot's of frigs and cruisers.

There is no "armor is better against shied' :S EM Damage is good against shield (expect T2 minmatar ships)
Kiting is good against HAMs, or signature tanking. (For example with an aktive tanked stabber fleet + drugs)
Active and passiv both work for solo.

The key is to know what you can engage with your current ship. My navy slicer is a good frigs, but it will die within seconds against Rapid light missile ships. But RLM against are not that good against my Incursus.

But then again i would not enter a FW plex with a conder in it when i am in an AB incursus.

Youtube Channel about Micro and Small scale PvP with commentary: Fleet Commentary by l0rd carlos

Ace Uoweme
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2013-06-07 14:33:05 UTC
Some of the videos I've watched showed Drakes going against them solo, and though I'm training up to fly a Drake well, I wonder if another faction ship is a better counter if facing them (or if soloing in Caldari heavy space, other shield tanks)? Rock, paper, scissors scenario.

Was thinking the Hurricane is a good counter. But what about the Amarr ship changes? Would the EHP of those be tougher than a Hurricane? Especially of a tanking build?

Why I think they're common? Since the demographics are more Caldari than any other faction, I guess there will be more of them...and the PvP videos on YouTube shows m-a-n-y of them. lol Let alone, the voice coms talking about them at the gates (usual talk about Loki vs Tengu). They may not be that many actually, but they sure seem to be the most popular T3.

What I worry about is the mismatch. Get through a gate, Tengu is there, and there's little counters but hope and pray. Ugh

Still trying to figure out a faction build for a solo roamer (Drake I envision more for small gangs). At the stage where I have to pick which hull and weapons to specialize in (those ugly 14+ day skills).

_"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." _ ~George Orwell

Berluth Luthian
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2013-06-07 15:54:55 UTC
I haven't flown heavy interdictors, but I think they'd have some of the best EHP:signature radii'. Also a neuting drone boat could work too.
Mildew Wolf
#5 - 2013-06-07 20:13:24 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:
Some of the videos I've watched showed Drakes going against them solo, and though I'm training up to fly a Drake well, I wonder if another faction ship is a better counter if facing them (or if soloing in Caldari heavy space, other shield tanks)? Rock, paper, scissors scenario.

Was thinking the Hurricane is a good counter. But what about the Amarr ship changes? Would the EHP of those be tougher than a Hurricane? Especially of a tanking build?

Why I think they're common? Since the demographics are more Caldari than any other faction, I guess there will be more of them...and the PvP videos on YouTube shows m-a-n-y of them. lol Let alone, the voice coms talking about them at the gates (usual talk about Loki vs Tengu). They may not be that many actually, but they sure seem to be the most popular T3.

What I worry about is the mismatch. Get through a gate, Tengu is there, and there's little counters but hope and pray. Ugh

Still trying to figure out a faction build for a solo roamer (Drake I envision more for small gangs). At the stage where I have to pick which hull and weapons to specialize in (those ugly 14+ day skills).

I would recommend you take those videos with a grain of salt and get some of your own experiences in cheaper ships before making long term plans

Also I find the rock paper scissors metaphor to be overly simplified for eve. One bad mistake or unexpected situation and a rock flies right through paper )))
Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
#6 - 2013-06-08 11:44:28 UTC
Ace Uoweme wrote:

I wouldn't worry about that. If there is just that one Tengu, you just get back to the gate and jump out.

The usual mismatch is a whole fleet of enemies, with fast-locking ships and tacklers which you can neither fight, nor warp out or get back to gate.