These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

First lowsec/0.0 roam

Author
Dr Valentyne
Schmeckle Inc.
#1 - 2013-06-08 06:10:20 UTC
Caveat: Drunk post; may regret this in the morning.

Caveat#2: 2nd time trying to post...

So.... After playing EVE on/off for like 4 years, more off than on, my brother and I decided to get hammered and roam lowsec looking for a gank/pvp.

We found much more pvp than gank, which was good, but in a way slightly unfortunate. You see, knowing that we could not compete vs. a seasoned pvp vet, we were hoping for more of a "ohhh **** it's a hulk!!! **** his face!!!", but rather got more of a "can we take this hawk? yeah... fuckit lets try!".

Luckily as far as the lowsec pvp was concerned we did not die, and actually forced 3 "warpaways". For reference we were running a fleet of Stiletto + drake (drake having no web/scram skills whatsoever). That is a win in and of itself, right? On the other hand we had two 'engagements' one vs a stabber? or hurricane... not sure which, it was fast so i just kind of pushed buttons... and he managed to separate me (the inty) from the drake due more so to his skill than our failure, which resulted in us being forced to disengage and warp off. This was a loss in my book... Next, we "found" a hawk, camping a plex (or whatever the hell they are called), and attempted to track it down assuming between the two of us we could take it; wrong assumption. The hawk found us, took me (the inty) into structure before we could disengage.

Overall the fights in lowsec seemed to be more against seasoned vets than vs random hulks, which was not necessarily a disappointment, but more a 'realization' (for lack of a better term) of the quality of pilots in this particular area of lowsec.

Later on after a fail which I will mention later, I found myself looking for more gank, likely in an effort to make myself feel as if the entire venture was worth something than anything. So, my brother and I decided to move to Syndicate (0.0... though the syndicate part MAY be incorrect, though I don't really give a ****) for a more ganking approach. From here, we found several highly populated systems, comparatively, but oddly enough; no one was to be found... hmm....

Eventually after chasing a bestower from belt to belt for about 15 mins I located him on a gate and podded his ass! BAMMMM! first and only hardcore success of the night! fuckit, thats enough for me... Shortly after this I failed hard, while my brother did pretty well, breaking a rule we should have learned earlier; ******* STICK TOGETHER!!!

I decided in my inty it would be a good idea to 1v1 a coercer. Maybe I did something ********; likely, actually this is very likely as I was slightly more hammered then than I am now. My brother on the other hand managed to 1v1 another drake, and won, but the other drake was able to warp off due toi my brother having no pvp skills trained whatsoever. Both of these situations seem to reinforce the same rule that we broke; ******* stick together!!!! Had he been with me, the coercer is dead, if I am with him, that drake never warps off.

Anyhow, after this massive wall of text, for those who have chosen to read this far... #1. Where in the hell do I find a hulk/orca op to ****? #2. Is this normal?... lowsec providing more pvp opportunities vs nullsec more or less running/hiding? obviously with a few exceptions.

FAQ before you ask:

Why does my bro not have pvp skills?
He just got back from Afghanistan and left his wife to train his ****... go figure.

Why were we running drake/stiletto?
The last time I actually played this guy, inties were fairly decent... back when the taranis owned all, and the daredevil needed nerfed NOW!!!

So, other than confirming whether or not its normal to get roughly 5 or 6 fights during a 4 hour period on a Friday night, I have no idea why I decided to post this. I assure you though, there WAS a reason originally. Fuckit. I'm done.

p.s. I have no idea why the hell anyone is scared of lowsec, not to mention null sec. No one is ever there and you are free to do whatever the hell you want.
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#2 - 2013-06-08 09:12:56 UTC
Dr Valentyne wrote:
Caveat: Drunk post; may regret this in the morning.

Caveat#2: 2nd time trying to post...

So.... After playing EVE on/off for like 4 years, more off than on, my brother and I decided to get hammered and roam lowsec looking for a gank/pvp.

We found much more pvp than gank, which was good, but in a way slightly unfortunate. You see, knowing that we could not compete vs. a seasoned pvp vet, we were hoping for more of a "ohhh **** it's a hulk!!! **** his face!!!", but rather got more of a "can we take this hawk? yeah... fuckit lets try!".

Luckily as far as the lowsec pvp was concerned we did not die, and actually forced 3 "warpaways". For reference we were running a fleet of Stiletto + drake (drake having no web/scram skills whatsoever). That is a win in and of itself, right? On the other hand we had two 'engagements' one vs a stabber? or hurricane... not sure which, it was fast so i just kind of pushed buttons... and he managed to separate me (the inty) from the drake due more so to his skill than our failure, which resulted in us being forced to disengage and warp off. This was a loss in my book... Next, we "found" a hawk, camping a plex (or whatever the hell they are called), and attempted to track it down assuming between the two of us we could take it; wrong assumption. The hawk found us, took me (the inty) into structure before we could disengage.

Overall the fights in lowsec seemed to be more against seasoned vets than vs random hulks, which was not necessarily a disappointment, but more a 'realization' (for lack of a better term) of the quality of pilots in this particular area of lowsec.

Later on after a fail which I will mention later, I found myself looking for more gank, likely in an effort to make myself feel as if the entire venture was worth something than anything. So, my brother and I decided to move to Syndicate (0.0... though the syndicate part MAY be incorrect, though I don't really give a ****) for a more ganking approach. From here, we found several highly populated systems, comparatively, but oddly enough; no one was to be found... hmm....

Eventually after chasing a bestower from belt to belt for about 15 mins I located him on a gate and podded his ass! BAMMMM! first and only hardcore success of the night! fuckit, thats enough for me... Shortly after this I failed hard, while my brother did pretty well, breaking a rule we should have learned earlier; ******* STICK TOGETHER!!!

I decided in my inty it would be a good idea to 1v1 a coercer. Maybe I did something ********; likely, actually this is very likely as I was slightly more hammered then than I am now. My brother on the other hand managed to 1v1 another drake, and won, but the other drake was able to warp off due toi my brother having no pvp skills trained whatsoever. Both of these situations seem to reinforce the same rule that we broke; ******* stick together!!!! Had he been with me, the coercer is dead, if I am with him, that drake never warps off.

Anyhow, after this massive wall of text, for those who have chosen to read this far... #1. Where in the hell do I find a hulk/orca op to ****? #2. Is this normal?... lowsec providing more pvp opportunities vs nullsec more or less running/hiding? obviously with a few exceptions.

FAQ before you ask:

Why does my bro not have pvp skills?
He just got back from Afghanistan and left his wife to train his ****... go figure.

Why were we running drake/stiletto?
The last time I actually played this guy, inties were fairly decent... back when the taranis owned all, and the daredevil needed nerfed NOW!!!

So, other than confirming whether or not its normal to get roughly 5 or 6 fights during a 4 hour period on a Friday night, I have no idea why I decided to post this. I assure you though, there WAS a reason originally. Fuckit. I'm done.

p.s. I have no idea why the hell anyone is scared of lowsec, not to mention null sec. No one is ever there and you are free to do whatever the hell you want.

You don't find many hulks or orcas in low sec, that is excedingly rare.

People who are in lowsec are usually there to pvp not to make isk or whatever (Although a few do). You can find a lot of terrible people in low sec though regardless.. but even the awfuls are likely to be in a pvp fitted ship trying to blap other people.

as to fight number 5-6 fights in four hours is pretty damn low, i often have 4-5 in an hour (but i do also have hours where i get none, its pretty random)

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
#3 - 2013-06-08 11:37:59 UTC
You can probably understand that if low-sec is full of seasoned PvP vets that they've would have killed any Hulks that would be there long before you would find them.

If you are looking for a gank, high-sec is the best place to be. People who allow themselved to be ganked by PvP newbies in low-sec or nullsec die out really quickly.
Disastro
Wrecking Shots
#4 - 2013-06-08 11:38:39 UTC
Getting out and trying to pvp in low sec is a good start for a beginning pvper but keep in mind:

1. In low sec most of the folks are there to PVP. Mining and missioning in low sec really isnt that great. The FW dudes may make most of there money in low sec but most of those dudes are at least nominally interested in PVP as well.

2. Sooner or later you will encounter a gate camp and get crushed. Or you will find someone baiting who has 20 friends nearby and you will get crushed.

3. Forcing people to warp away is not a win. It is a loss. If you have someone warp scrambled with an interceptor you shouldnt be losing point on anyone who is actually fighting back. If you catch them on a gate they will just jump through if they are close enough and not engaged in combat with you.

4. Engaging first on a gate or station involves getting hit by gate guns unless your target is flashy red already. If your target is flashy red already then he is going to be experienced in pvp because that is how he got flashy red.

5. You wont find a lot of miners or ratters in low sec but you can find a few if you look in the right places. Most of your fights, however, will be against people who will fight back and who may have friends in local. Just being in a different corp than the other locals doesnt necessarily mean they are not friends and will not help the defender.
Dr Valentyne
Schmeckle Inc.
#5 - 2013-06-08 12:43:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Dr Valentyne
Good info guys, thanks.

As of right now, I am sure I am one of the "terribles" in low sec, or more correctly, was last night... Though I am sure with time this will change.

Also, probably about 1.5 of those 4 hours were changing fits, taking smoke breaks and traveling through hi sec to 'attack' systems opposite from where we were.