These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page
 

Renamed wormhole system, the great mystery

First post
Author
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#1 - 2013-06-07 03:28:03 UTC
CCP has renamed J140208 to J170376 in Odyssey. This is the only system affected.


WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
ace face
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2013-06-07 03:42:05 UTC
Messoroz wrote:
CCP has renamed J140208 to J170376 in Odyssey. This is the only system affected.


WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?


cuss they hate you!
Nathan Jameson
Grumpy Bastards
#3 - 2013-06-07 04:13:10 UTC
Perhaps it's lore-related.

Pfffft ha ha ha nah that'd be just silly.

http://www.wormholes.info

Chris Winter
Bene Gesserit ChapterHouse
#4 - 2013-06-07 06:23:12 UTC
Something bad happened on 14.02.2008, and they renamed the system out of respect?
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#5 - 2013-06-07 07:05:41 UTC
Chris Winter wrote:
Something bad happened on 14.02.2008, and they renamed the system out of respect?


Nothing from what I can see
Rek Seven
The Persuaders
#6 - 2013-06-07 07:08:10 UTC
Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#7 - 2013-06-07 07:53:19 UTC
One of the devs secretly lives there and was born on 17.03.1976?

.

Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
The Initiative.
#8 - 2013-06-07 08:59:02 UTC
Did J1340+6 or J1259+0 ever get renamed? Seems like favoritism to me.
Durzel
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#9 - 2013-06-07 10:52:13 UTC
Nix Anteris wrote:
Did J1340+6 or J1259+0 ever get renamed? Seems like favoritism to me.

They did.
Nathan Jameson
Grumpy Bastards
#10 - 2013-06-07 11:14:18 UTC
Durzel wrote:
Nix Anteris wrote:
Did J1340+6 or J1259+0 ever get renamed? Seems like favoritism to me.

They did.


NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

http://www.wormholes.info

CCP Fozzie
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2013-06-07 11:26:59 UTC
This is by design and not a mistake.

Game Designer | Team Five-0

Twitter: @CCP_Fozzie
Twitch chat: ccp_fozzie

Grizzly Kreyszig
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-06-07 11:34:17 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
This is by design and not a mistake.

Why did you change the name btw?
Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
The Initiative.
#13 - 2013-06-07 11:39:14 UTC
Tinfoil hat time.

There is more meaning in the locus than previously thought. The race is on to decode wormhole loci and find the meanings hidden within!
Nathan Jameson
Grumpy Bastards
#14 - 2013-06-07 11:59:00 UTC
That has been a long-time effort since the old style forums. I remember someone compared the J-sigs to times on a 24-hour clock and noted a whole section missing.

http://www.wormholes.info

Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#15 - 2013-06-07 13:09:23 UTC
^^ They definitely relate to positional coordinates (or some kind of hierarchy) in some way.
Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
The Initiative.
#16 - 2013-06-07 13:19:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Nix Anteris
Nathan Jameson wrote:
That has been a long-time effort since the old style forums. I remember someone compared the J-sigs to times on a 24-hour clock and noted a whole section missing.


Interesting, never heard that theory, did a quick statistical analysis.

The last 4 digits are highly indicative of times (minutes and seconds).

digit 1: 7/8 systems begin with a 1, the remainder 2
digit 2: abnormal distribution 0-7, 1 is high, 6 is low, 7 is lower
digit 3: seemingly random distribution 0-5
digit 4: seemingly random distribution 0-9
digit 5: seemingly random distribution 0-5 - 1x 7, 2x 9
digit 6: seemingly random distribution 0-9

There are some anomalies in digit 5 - I believe the 2x 9s are the systems that used to have a + in their name, which leaves the 7 as a real anomaly. (170376 look familiar?)

Digit 2 is particularly strange, it's not even a curve, with 7 being present only 110x out of the ~2500 systems, and 1 being present 458x

Also noticed J1226-0, which I don't think has been renamed yet.

For these anomalies to occur in the 5th digit, there must be some sort of encoding going on, and not just picking random numbers ;)
MisterAl tt1
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-06-07 13:21:50 UTC
oh just fine, change one meaningless set of numbers to a different meaningless set of numbers and make people go make changes to tools. In sum, players making tools would have to spend more time updating their tools, then it took you to change it. Thank you for keeping us busy.
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#18 - 2013-06-07 14:52:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Bloodpetal
J coordinates are used to indicate a position in space.

According to a video with Torfi in a Russian Basement i (seems legit), they used the J coordinates of Quasars to indicate the proximity of the system to a quasar.


The Sloan Digital Sky Survey lets you search by SQL function their databases::

http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/search/x_sql.asp


Quote:
select top 100000
specObjId, SDSSName

FROM
Dr5quasarcatalog

WHERE
SDSSName like '100001%'



The above query searches the DR5 Quasar catalog for SDSSNames (locus) that start with 100001 (% is wildcards, since a full J Coordinate is more than 6 digits, we can't know the exact object the locus is targeted at)


So, the query above would put out :

specObjID --------------------J coordinate
141243312320282624 100001.44+024844.6
216960282101022720 100001.81+594344.2
216960282352680960 100001.06+601432.0
216960283254456320 100001.13+610249.5
265375787933237248 100001.00+453046.5


Then you can cross reference that with the explore tool :

This would be one of the 5 objects in the vicinity of J100001 coordinates. Replace the sid=#### with the specObjID
http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?sid=141243312320282624

That's about as far as I got in my attempt to relate J Coordinates to Real life positions. I was going to go further and attempt to identify some of the objects.

Going further with the topic of this thread ::

J170376 doesn't have any catalog entries.
J140208 has 4

361921788885598208 140208.87+462414.4 (Galaxy)
361921788931735552 140208.10+470111.1 (Star)
470574235836743680 140208.47+485209.7 (Star)
517580648571994112 140208.94+354917.1 (Star)


Have fun.

Where I am.

Nix Anteris
The Dark Space Initiative
The Initiative.
#19 - 2013-06-07 16:07:39 UTC
That explains where the + and - came from. "Parsing accidents"

I was just thinking the 0-59 ranges could be arcminutes/seconds rather than times...
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#20 - 2013-06-07 16:44:04 UTC
Bloodpetal wrote:
J coordinates are used to indicate a position in space.

According to a video with Torfi in a Russian Basement i (seems legit), they used the J coordinates of Quasars to indicate the proximity of the system to a quasar.


The Sloan Digital Sky Survey lets you search by SQL function their databases::

http://cas.sdss.org/dr7/en/tools/search/x_sql.asp


Quote:
select top 100000
specObjId, SDSSName

FROM
Dr5quasarcatalog

WHERE
SDSSName like '100001%'



The above query searches the DR5 Quasar catalog for SDSSNames (locus) that start with 100001 (% is wildcards, since a full J Coordinate is more than 6 digits, we can't know the exact object the locus is targeted at)


So, the query above would put out :

specObjID --------------------J coordinate
141243312320282624 100001.44+024844.6
216960282101022720 100001.81+594344.2
216960282352680960 100001.06+601432.0
216960283254456320 100001.13+610249.5
265375787933237248 100001.00+453046.5


Then you can cross reference that with the explore tool :

This would be one of the 5 objects in the vicinity of J100001 coordinates. Replace the sid=#### with the specObjID
http://cas.sdss.org/astro/en/tools/explore/obj.asp?sid=141243312320282624

That's about as far as I got in my attempt to relate J Coordinates to Real life positions. I was going to go further and attempt to identify some of the objects.

Going further with the topic of this thread ::

J170376 doesn't have any catalog entries.
J140208 has 4

361921788885598208 140208.87+462414.4 (Galaxy)
361921788931735552 140208.10+470111.1 (Star)
470574235836743680 140208.47+485209.7 (Star)
517580648571994112 140208.94+354917.1 (Star)


Have fun.


The fact that the Jsigs are in real life database means nothing. The systems all have their own positions in game. They form regions and they form almost a galaxy that looks like a flower.
123Next page