These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

What's fun in game, After noob High Sec stuff ??

Author
Robert Saint
The Grumpy Dogs
#1 - 2013-06-06 23:41:57 UTC
Been playing over a year in High Sec , trading and mission running.

,,,,,,,,,,,, so what is there to do outside of High sec, and how does one get started doing that very cool thing?

Hoping for constructed starting points, rather then a "Hey just find a cool corp" kind of thing, as I have a corp with my herd, etc..

I've heard about Ratting (is that just like level 4's) or DED (Don't know what that is), or 4/10 (don't know what that is either)..

So you Eve smart crowd, how about helping out us uninformed enthusiasts. It's very obvious that there is a division from the Null Sec group and the High Sec group..... what's so cool about Null (we all know Low is just to kill high Sec folks).

PVP, is it worth doing, I mean for the fun aspect of it....not worrying about the ISK loss? Anyone reluctant to Null sec and now love it?

Thanks

Haulie Berry
#2 - 2013-06-06 23:44:15 UTC
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#3 - 2013-06-06 23:45:48 UTC
Haulie Berry wrote:

^^ That. Anything particular that strikes your fancy?
Kiblete
State War Academy
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-06-06 23:45:50 UTC
pew pew is where it is at, get into low or null and lose some ships. fleet up and get kills or die trying.

The best times I had in EVE where being a dirty null renter and defending our systems or roaming through and looking for fights.

KuroVolt
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2013-06-06 23:48:37 UTC
The Providence region.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Pepper Solette
Doomheim
#6 - 2013-06-06 23:54:38 UTC
When i first started playing i never went to low let alone null. My first time going with some experienced pilots into null my ******* was puckered up tighter than a snare drum. He kept using terms like bubbles and having to have different warp-in points, bouncing off of planets etc. Then we were found out and chased out by a large group. I was **** scared.

I was later on in time asked to join a nullsec corp going into an alliance. I have since had the best time of my life in this game. I swear sometimes that null is safer than hisec and low. You can sit in the "Blue Doughnut" (The area your corp or alliance controls) and make a lot of money in a relatively safe environment.

The fights you go into can be a real blast, small gang roams and then the larger fleet stuff.

I remember reading all this crap about Goons this and TEST that.......Don't believe everything you read about the major power-blocks in Null. It takes some amazingly smart people to run these alliances and truly make them work. Of course, you will get people that are complete tards but for the vast majority, they are massively helpful people and really do help out a newcomer to a corp.

Say it's your first roam, i used to hear many time on TS............."Isk to the new-bro." And before you know it, your account is flashing all over the place. And normally, all of your losses in fleets are covered anyway so you are fine there too.

I strongly suggest that you have a good go at it. I never thought i would ever go out there and when i did i never wanted to go back to hi-sec.

I hope this helps.

** Miko Sunji:  "There is no better way to find out if you can swim, than swimming for your life."**

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#7 - 2013-06-07 00:12:09 UTC
Robert Saint wrote:
Been playing over a year in High Sec , trading and mission running....

Im so sorry to hear that. What did those carebear highseccers tell you about the big scawey nullsec? Instadeath as soon as you jump in? Everyones out to kill you? Bubbles on all gates (none of them having actually seen a bubbles or even know how bubbles work at all...strange how everyones an expert on the bubble subject) complete with instadeath gatecamps? Were all blue to each other and its all pillowfights and trading bras?

Im interested to know what all the "cool" kids are saying about us who sit at the back of bus.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Bane Veradun
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-06-07 00:31:06 UTC
Noob nulsec stuff.

Hi.

Alphea Abbra
Project Promethion
#9 - 2013-06-07 00:37:11 UTC
The idea that null-sec is the endgame of EVE is flawed, if you ask me. Sandbox games inherently does not have endgames.
What I want from null, and what many others get from it, is the group dynamics (friendship actually is magic), the achievements (I've been in this corp/group for almost a year now, and boy have we come far) and, something that seems uniquely centered around sov. 0.0 or faction warfare, the "politics/diplomacy/organisation matters" parts.
A thing such as rule/law-making - I find it incredibly fascinating to ask why a specific rule is in place... or why this group and that group historically are enemies, or the customs of different groups. Being a part of the "army without a land" (S2N), when we find a new home, kicks out whoever lived there before and settles down...
That was for me an incredible experience.

Then there are purely organisatory/opportunity perks. In high-sec you don't really get to experience the thrill of two collossal war-engines colliding in a starsystem, for a war that started between two minor entities but were used as a casus belli by the regional great powers. Simply by being in a sov. 0.0 organisation, such occassions will knock on the door, for better or worse.
You might say that access to capital ships and pvp is easier in sov. 0.0 ... that is not necessarily true, but depends on your current corp and whatever you compare yourself with. For sure that most pvp will be "cheaper" outside hi-sec, since SRP becomes a major thing in both some low-sec organisations and most 0.0 organisations.

For specific pointers... well it much depends on what your goals are.
If you want to get out there and pvp, you should make sure that your interests and theirs are compatible. If you spend 300M buying PvP ships and a ratting boat (This might very well be in the lower end of prices), only to find out it didn't work out ... well, better check throughoutly first and then go out, right? ;-)
For PvP corps/alliances - MAKE SURE THEY HAVE SRP. SRP stands for Ship Replacement Programme, and is essentially how much of your expenses you get covered if you lose the ship. Most alliances have a programme where they pay a part of what the regular insurance is below Jita hull price - ask about this before deciding. An alliance with for example 50% of the hull on logistics and 0% on other ships is an alliance you should keep away from.
Also, make sure you ask what they focus on re. PvP. Some corps don't think 40+ fights is PvP for anyone but the FleetCommanders, while others think 75 people duking it out is simply a skirmish to test the waters before attacking with 500 people. Make sure that you and the corp/alliance you're joining are on the same page.

ISK making, at last, is not something you generally should go to 0.0 for. If you go to 0.0 to get rich, you're doing something wrong. You can probably do a slow accumulation of assets and isk, but all that famous wealth of 0.0 ... is not because of 0.0, but because 0.0 has older players with more assets.
Ratting is not like L4's, although the income is sometimes comparable. Ratting is either belt-ratting (As in hi-sec) or anomalies (As in hi-sec). DED sites and x/10's are various sites that are either rarer or harder to find, but give more in terms of isk, or modules (deadspace modules, for example).

There are really tonnes of stuff I know I haven't really touched upon, but it is hard to start explaining everything about the EVE sandbox. If you have questions to me, feel free to ask although I can't promise a good answer.
I am sure others can answer too, but probably better if you narrow in your questions a little.

Everything I have written is from my own perspective, my likes and dislikes, and even if I see and hear many who agree more or less, there are those who disagree somewhat or entirely. Ask around, don't just accept any opinion as the true state of affairs in Paradise.
Oh, and good luck!

Big smile
Litair
Nleesh
#10 - 2013-06-07 01:00:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Litair
Get into a cheap frigate, set destination deep null and go for it and keep going deeper until you get blown up.. and enjoy the near death experiences along the way. Flying into a warp disruption bubble for the first time will make your heart explode, I mean really. Even if you're the only person in the system.

Try to take notice of interesting things you may come across, look it up on the internet, fit a ship to exploit it and head back in with the hopes of getting back out with a profit and some fun.

Of course you can join a big alliance too and stuff.. but meh depends on how you like to play. Personally I like the excitement of flying in non-friendly space, it really adds a lot of challenges.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#11 - 2013-06-07 01:00:43 UTC

Find a good corp. No seriously.

Personally, I suggest going with a major alliance that has some staying power. You don't want to find yourself in nullsec one week and the next you can't dock back up and retrieve your stuff.

If you need ideas, I have tons of contacts. Hit me up in game and we'll find you the best corp for your interests and personality.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Capt Tenguru10
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#12 - 2013-06-07 01:07:52 UTC
Join us we do things

http://i.imgur.com/EYX5Zi7.gif

Robert Saint
The Grumpy Dogs
#13 - 2013-06-07 01:34:14 UTC
Wow, some very good feedback.

It's these answers that "I think" most players that are sort of stuck in High Sec like myself can really use.

I make about 10B or so a month after Plexing accounts and I am thinking, WHY? Why do it, just to run the same "world's collide" mission, Fleet Mine or whatever over and over..

As some have stated, the NULL sec thing has this "scare" over it, like everyone in there is just a "donkey" if you know what I mean.

I suppose when it's all said and done, it's just get in there and check it out. I have like 15 characters, so I'll just rig a frig for one of the more attractive girl characters with cheap implants "no pun intended" and check out the lower section.

Thanks.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#14 - 2013-06-07 01:40:02 UTC
Robert Saint wrote:

It's these answers that "I think" most players that are sort of stuck in High Sec like myself can really use.

I make about 10B or so a month after Plexing accounts and I am thinking, WHY? Why do it, just to run the same "world's collide" mission, Fleet Mine or whatever over and over..

As some have stated, the NULL sec thing has this "scare" over it, like everyone in there is just a "donkey" if you know what I mean.

I suppose when it's all said and done, it's just get in there and check it out. I have like 15 characters, so I'll just rig a frig for one of the more attractive girl characters with cheap implants "no pun intended" and check out the lower section.

Thanks.

With only half a month's wages, you could get yourself 2.5 months wages. see bio.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Silvetica Dian
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2013-06-07 01:50:35 UTC
i pvp on this account and it was easy to get into a decent nullsec corp.
NB what i consider decent is dependant on what i wanted from a pvp corp,

I have a exploration alt that does solo WH diving, high sec and low sec sites also.
if you want to do something in eve it is easy. if u want to LEAD somethijng in eve it is hard.

Money at its root is a form of rationing. When the richest 85 people have as much wealth as the poorest 3.5 billion (50% of humanity) it is clear where the source of poverty is. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/20/trickle-down-economics-broken-promise-richest-85

Amarra Mandalin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2013-06-07 01:52:42 UTC
Erotica 1 wrote:
Robert Saint wrote:

Thanks.

With only half a month's wages, you could get yourself 2.5 months wages. see bio.

That was nearly an insta-lock.

Duck for vultures.

And expect an eve mail about joining Goonswarm.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#17 - 2013-06-07 01:58:32 UTC
Amarra Mandalin wrote:
Erotica 1 wrote:
Robert Saint wrote:

Thanks.

Duck for vultures.

If he wants to join Goonswarm, more power to him. I have plenty of contacts there that could help him. All he has to do is ask.

Litair
Nleesh
#18 - 2013-06-07 02:10:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Litair
Erotica 1 wrote:
Amarra Mandalin wrote:
Erotica 1 wrote:
Robert Saint wrote:

Thanks.

Duck for vultures.

If he wants to join Goonswarm, more power to him. I have plenty of contacts there that could help him. All he has to do is ask.

Whatever you do, don't ever get involved with goons, it'll be the death of you and your wallet with no exceptions, that is the only thing certain in EVE.

EDIT: and I mean no exceptions. That includes "recruitment" offers. Thank me later.
Delen Ormand
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-06-07 02:27:33 UTC
I remember getting a little bored of missions when I was a couple of months old, so I decided to go exploring wormholes instead. That was pretty fun. Even though I was mainly aiming to just grab all the Arkonor before anyone noticed, the fact that you didn't know who was around gave it a bit of an edge.
Robert Saint
The Grumpy Dogs
#20 - 2013-06-07 02:35:25 UTC
Goonswarm, yes I have heard of them...... So much so that they (46 of them) killed one of my Freighters carrying "2.7b in Jita" on a "Saturday" during a "Burn Jita" ........ Yeah, I know! All of those strikes were my fault.... it was just my play time and I didn't read any local....
12Next page