These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP please keep the jump animation!

Author
LittleTerror
Illuminated Foundation Trust
#61 - 2013-06-07 00:10:02 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
LittleTerror wrote:
Transmaritanus wrote:
Beekeeper Bob wrote:
[quote=ACE McFACE]
Try not to show your ignorance, 20% of the population gets motion sickness off just this kind of issue.

I really don't think so. Is there a source for this?

"About 33% of people are susceptible to motion sickness even in mild circumstances such as being on a boat in calm water, although nearly 66% of people"

google it...

Well, I did, and...

There is little way to prevent this type of motion sickness except to close one's eyes during such scenes or to avoid such movies.

In other words, the guy that told you to look away before wasn't far off, and not as stupid as you claim. Regardless of how many people it affects, there is very little actual motion going on and far more extreme examples of stuff that might cause motion sickness in other visual media. In any case, I completely agree, and said so before the expansion, that an alternative option needs to be made available. Removing it completely, however, would rob many players that enjoy the experience.

Again, we just want an option to turn it OFF *sigh*

That's why I called him a stupid troll, and tbh the animation does not effect me that much but I refuse to be told I have to close my eyes every few 1 minute or so when they can simply provide an option to disable it.
Kewso
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#62 - 2013-06-07 00:27:48 UTC

What's next?

trolls wanting all movement removed from Eve.

Space flight causes motion sickness... all ships should just teleport around and sit still.

npc's should spawn and not move

omg undocking causes motion sickness remove undocking, I should be able to play the game while in station :P

jump gate animation 2 seconds on good gaming pc

less time than warping to asteroid belt, moon, bookmark, gate. Yet no one wants warping removed

trolls are funny
Kusum Fawn
Perkone
Caldari State
#63 - 2013-06-07 00:31:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Kusum Fawn
baltec1 wrote:
Kusum Fawn wrote:
I dont understand the resistance to having an optional checkbox for turning off animations.

I mean, wouldnt you have loved a checkbox for the Universal Inventory that read "emulate old Inventory" ?

Wouldn't you like a checkbox to turn off the clouds?
Wouldn't you have liked a checkbox to turn off the CQ?

We dont need a check box because people are telling lies.

lies about what exactly?
and even if they are, whats the problem with a check box that turns off animations?

edit : oh yeah on the dev blog about the EVE VR they talk about motion sickness from screens, you should read it.

Second edit : I find that small consistent sway makes me feel sicker then wild swings on a screen. Im not claiming 20% of the population finds this to also be true, im claiming i do. the jump swing isnt terrible but it is mildly annoying to me on a different level.

Its not possible to please all the people all the time, but it sure as hell is possible to Displease all the people, most of the time.

xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#64 - 2013-06-07 01:12:07 UTC
Kusum Fawn wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Kusum Fawn wrote:
I dont understand the resistance to having an optional checkbox for turning off animations.

I mean, wouldnt you have loved a checkbox for the Universal Inventory that read "emulate old Inventory" ?

Wouldn't you like a checkbox to turn off the clouds?
Wouldn't you have liked a checkbox to turn off the CQ?

We dont need a check box because people are telling lies.

lies about what exactly?
and even if they are, whats the problem with a check box that turns off animations?

edit : oh yeah on the dev blog about the EVE VR they talk about motion sickness from screens, you should read it.

Second edit : I find that small consistent sway makes me feel sicker then wild swings on a screen. Im not claiming 20% of the population finds this to also be true, im claiming i do. the jump swing isnt terrible but it is mildly annoying to me on a different level.

on a different level, watch this >>> CLICK ME <<<
Krakhen
Praetors of Orpheus
#65 - 2013-06-07 01:19:00 UTC
Gritz1 wrote:
Look away from the screen when you jump.

^^^^^ This!
Remiel Pollard
Shock Treatment Ministries
#66 - 2013-06-07 01:50:34 UTC
LittleTerror wrote:

Again, we just want an option to turn it OFF *sigh*

That's why I called him a stupid troll, and tbh the animation does not effect me that much but I refuse to be told I have to close my eyes every few 1 minute or so when they can simply provide an option to disable it.

I did state that I don't disagree, except for the part where you're going to call people stupid as a measure of mere prescriptive retaliation, but the fact remains that if this animation causes motion sickness, you should probably be seeing a doctor. There are many other features in the game with much more simulated motion than this one.

“Some capsuleers claim that ECM is 'dishonorable' and 'unfair'. Jam those ones first, and kill them last.” - Jirai 'Fatal' Laitanen, Pithum Nullifier Training Manual c. YC104

Gallowmere Rorschach
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#67 - 2013-06-07 03:03:25 UTC
Kewso wrote:

What's next?

trolls wanting all movement removed from Eve.

Space flight causes motion sickness... all ships should just teleport around and sit still.

npc's should spawn and not move

omg undocking causes motion sickness remove undocking, I should be able to play the game while in station :P

jump gate animation 2 seconds on good gaming pc

less time than warping to asteroid belt, moon, bookmark, gate. Yet no one wants warping removed

trolls are funny

I can't decide if that last part is ironic, or just completely stupid.
Sarah Lagrange
Pegusus Rising
#68 - 2013-06-07 07:48:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarah Lagrange
I really don't understand the hatred. It really does have an effect on some people, I'm one of them. It looks beautiful but really makes me feel ill. I've resorted to closing my eyes each time I jump through a gate. An option to turn it off would be nice. After all, it's not that big request. The rest of you get to keep something that you like to watch, we get a way to turn off so we don't feel ill.

It's not movement that is the issue here, it's the fact that you are really focused on one continuous fall through a pipe effect, it really can cause issues. It is much more extreme than the warp effect, which is itself quite subtle and can be zoomed out to mitigate any effects it has on the individual.

There are also various medications used for long-term depression that can exacerbate the effect causing further distress to the individual.

As I said before, none of these people want to take your new SFX away from you, they don't want to spoil your game, they just want the option to enjoy their game.

All in all, this makes everyone happy.
Donedy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#69 - 2013-06-07 08:16:28 UTC
OP, are you ******* ******** or is it a troll?
1.) No one asked to actually remove this jump animation, just to have the option to remove it
2.) CCP at the moment said it was not even in question to put this option
3.) People complaining doesnt complain just to complain, and i can understand that some people dont like to have to vomit each 5 jumps (even if im not part of them)

Actually, it must be a troll, you cant be so ********, do you?
Aldap
Fearless Tiger.
#70 - 2013-06-07 08:19:04 UTC
So this has basically become a second thread supporting the off option.
+1

An interesting article about Solo PvP: http://themittani.com/features/new-eden-solo

Lugalbandak
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#71 - 2013-06-07 08:23:19 UTC
Motion sickniss? close your eyes when you jump a gate maybe thats helps

The police horse is the only animal in the world that haz his male genitals on his back

iEiClintcom
Australian universal Soldiers
#72 - 2013-06-07 08:37:47 UTC
Hey idiot's, I've been playing since 2005 with a pacemaker and past brain surgery. This new affect set's off my condition and pacemaker, no matter how much medication I take, I got more implants in my brain that you will ever have in EVE ;p. I have harded the fark up.

Option to turn it off. I unsubed till theres an option.
Donedy
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#73 - 2013-06-07 09:24:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Donedy
Lugalbandak wrote:
Motion sickniss? close your eyes when you jump a gate maybe thats helps

Why people keep saying that?
Do you realise how :

1.) If you saw everyone saying that and you repeat it, its not funny anymore (sadly this days so much people are sheeps)
2.) It would be painfull for people to do that? (just in case you're being serious, what i doubt)

People like you are boring. AND ********.
Tora Bushido
The Marmite Mercenaries
P I R A T
#74 - 2013-06-07 10:01:36 UTC
Just slow down the animation speed by 20-30% and you should be fine....

DELETE THE WEAK, ADAPT OR DIE !

Meta Gaming Level VII, Psycho Warfare Level X, Smack Talk Level VII.

blood spine
Infinity Engine
Sleeping Dragons
#75 - 2013-06-07 10:07:37 UTC
The jump animation is actually quite excellent keep the flow of the game as you jump. I will admit that it was quite annoying at first but after the "OMG CHANG DONT LIKE CHANGE" wore off I noticed how it kept the game going instead of the horrible immersion breaker of a black screen and loading bar. Its the same with the Wormhole transition
Alec Freeman
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#76 - 2013-06-07 10:08:57 UTC
So... what your saying is just because you like it then nobody else should be given the option to turn it off?

Nice arrogance there champ.

Also whether they actually get motion sickness or not if someone finds a new effect annoying or they have a **** PC and want faster grid load times then why shouldn't they be given the option?
blood spine
Infinity Engine
Sleeping Dragons
#77 - 2013-06-07 10:22:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Blood Spine
If you look at the title of the tread would would see good sir that it is a thread asking to keep the new jump animation and not a thread on motion sickness.

I was simply agreeing with the OP while ignoring all the motion sickness comments.

No arrogance here my friend and because i am genuinely interested why would closing your eyes or looking away from the screen while the animation is played not work for the motion sickness at least on a temporary basis until a reason is found and a small change implemented to stop it?

And i also hear that FOV can cause motion sickness in FPS game so maybe if ccp did a few tests with the people suffering motion sickness to create a new animation with a wider FOV or another subtle change to the animation to stop it causing the motion sickness in some players?

But even with the motion sickness problem there is no need to remove the animation.

Edit: Also where is the proof that the animation slows loading times? Instead of making the loading times more enjoyable
Thi Li
#78 - 2013-06-07 10:23:43 UTC
If you do many many many gatejumps a day its not exactly fun watching that gate jump animation , not to mention it mess up camera position after a few jumps and end up underneath your ship unless you constantly manually move the camera back where you want it to be (one of my big pet peeve's with this new update)

do gate jump once : camera stay ,maybe where you had it
do it more then 3 : camera flops around wildly and ends up underneath your ship

For now i spend more time looking at map then i do at space since of this 'feature/bug'.
blood spine
Infinity Engine
Sleeping Dragons
#79 - 2013-06-07 10:25:28 UTC
Thi Li wrote:
If you do many many many gatejumps a day its not exactly fun watching that gate jump animation , not to mention it mess up camera position after a few jumps and end up underneath your ship unless you constantly manually move the camera back where you want it to be (one of my big pet peeve's with this new update)

do gate jump once : camera stay ,maybe where you had it
do it more then 3 : camera flops around wildly and ends up underneath your ship

For now i spend more time looking at map then i do at space since of this 'feature/bug'.

I cant say that I have ever had a camera problem with the jump animation but of course that should be fixed as i can imagine that it could get quite annoying.
xxxTRUSTxxx
Galactic Rangers
Already Replaced.
#80 - 2013-06-07 10:34:42 UTC  |  Edited by: xxxTRUSTxxx
does nobody find it strange that not once, in any video posted on youtube of the effect before release, not one comment of, i feel motion sickness, nope, all i read was praise, i was at fanfest this year, when they played the video of the effect everyone, and i mean everyone screamed for more, not one person said they felt sick. while it was on sisi during pre release testing was there no issue with motion sickness on the few thousand that tried it with no ill effects, so with this in mind, you have to wonder why after such a large poll of people who viewed and tested the effect before release had no problem with motion sickness.

so what's changed ?

how long it takes to jump with more than one account?

time jumping through in large fleet battles ?

these issues i'd say yes, that is an issue that needs to be looked at and perhaps an off button for the effect would be a good idea.

but claiming motion sickness to have the option to turn it off is too far fetched for me.