These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What happend to the gate flash?

First post
Author
Borlag Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2013-06-05 21:32:13 UTC
Strom Crendraven wrote:
Gate campers I feel your pain, if they took away the WH jump animation and sound us WH dwellers would be freaking out, and Borlag Crendraven would probably be one of the ones crying the loudest.

Heh no I wouldn't. I already have at least 1 of my 3 clients without sound, sometimes 2. No idea what causes it but at the same time I've learnt to deal with it all the same. Besides, just yesterday I was roaming around in low sec, stopping to camp gates for awhile and moving on every now and then. Neither the kspace side or the wspace side is nothing new to me.
Altaen
SoE Roughriders
Electus Matari
#42 - 2013-06-05 22:29:23 UTC
Removing gate flash has zero negative impact on gatecampers, but huge negative impact on solo and small gang PVP.

Please correct.
Dun'Gal
Myriad Contractors Inc.
#43 - 2013-06-06 04:15:54 UTC
Altaen wrote:
huge negative impact on solo and small gang PVP.

This right here is the point, supposedly CCP wants to keep this subset in mind, but each patch/expo they do something to hurt it more.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#44 - 2013-06-06 04:26:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Not only do I miss the gate flash, I miss the old (pre-Trinity) gate activation sound (yeah, yeah, eve haz sound). It was fully, earsplittingly awesome. You could tell by the sound that space-time was being ripped apart in order to plunge your ship through the known universe in defiance of the absolute laws of relativity.

Now the gate activation noise is more like, "oh by the way, your ship is now in a new star system."

CCP should not be afraid of violencing my ears. I want the old gate activation noise. AND THE WARP TUNNEL NOISE!
Djavue
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#45 - 2013-06-06 11:19:47 UTC
gate flashes are a centrifugal part of eve onine pvp. put them back pls.
Blu Mar
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#46 - 2013-06-06 11:26:10 UTC
agree needs to be more noticeable
Corsica Blood
Doomheim
#47 - 2013-06-06 11:33:36 UTC
needs to be more noticeable
Mylin Liu
TSOE Po1ice
TSOE Consortium
#48 - 2013-06-06 11:37:22 UTC
Agreed, needs to be fixed.

Free Bump for this thread
Siresa Talesi
Doomheim
#49 - 2013-06-06 18:50:25 UTC
I don't gate camp, and frankly, I couldn't care less if an aesthetics change required players to pay more attention and spend less time AFK.

However, the gate flash/gate fire was serioulsy one of the most awesome effects in this game, and it deserves to be brought back! I want to see and feel that a ship is being accelerated and propelled across vast reaches of space, not this tired little fizzle we have now. Who had the bright idea that making an epic effect so much less so would be well received? BRING BACK THE GATE FLASH!!!
Sung Lie
Repo.
#50 - 2013-06-06 21:05:38 UTC
please make gateactivation more easy to notice
Estella Osoka
Cranky Bitches Who PMS
#51 - 2013-06-06 23:00:02 UTC
There isn't a gate flash, but there is an animation. Ya'll just need to stop being lazy and watch the gate, or maybe have a scout *gasp* on the other side???!!!
Sycotic Deninard
Basgerin Pirate
#52 - 2013-06-06 23:12:21 UTC
The new graphic changes are pretty nice however Im pretty sure it was done by a developer that has either

• Never done PvP before therefore has no clue how valuable that the visual and audible clues are for a player fighting, defending a system near a gate.
  • Has done pvp and has died in a fire from gate camps and is silently trying to get even with players that do gate camps

A person that does'nt use his intelligence is no better than an animal that does'nt have any and thus are steaks on the table by choice and consent.

None ofthe Above
#53 - 2013-06-06 23:20:58 UTC
Djavue wrote:
gate flashes are a centrifugal part of eve onine pvp. put them back pls.

Are you sure you don't mean centripetal?

Anyway, initially I agreed -- fix this bug -- but I remember Soundwave saying that they thought gatecamping was a bit too easy. I have done my share of gatecamping (and lost ships to them) from a a stint in FW. I know this is a nerf, but I think it is probably working as intended.

In the balance, not sure its the worst thing ever.

The only end-game content in EVE Online is the crap that makes you rage quit.

Kiblete
State War Academy
Caldari State
#54 - 2013-06-06 23:35:06 UTC
Sycotic Deninard wrote:
The new graphic changes are pretty nice however Im pretty sure it was done by a developer that has either

• Never done PvP before therefore has no clue how valuable that the visual and audible clues are for a player fighting, defending a system near a gate.
  • Has done pvp and has died in a fire from gate camps and is silently trying to get even with players that do gate camps

You mean the visuals clues that are still there but mean someone actually has to be looking the gate and not alt tabbed watching YouTube? come on, your tacklers should at least be paying attention.
KrakizBad
Section 8.
#55 - 2013-06-06 23:42:38 UTC
Like the graphics, love the jump animation, confirm the gate flash needs to be brighter and more noisy.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2013-06-06 23:52:33 UTC
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

Local chat says hello to being obvious someone just jumped in.

That just tells someone entered local, not where. Might be another gate, cyno, jump bridge, wormhole or just someone logging in there. Not exactly accurate information that something's coming through a specific gate.

I think what he means is that this happens before gate flash: hence you can start paying attention to the gate as soon as you see someone enter local. You didn't need to watch the gate for flashing all the time. I'd be in favour of having a strong visual que but I'll manage with the current situation. Gates are nicer to watch nowadays though!

Ah okay. Agreed with that 100%. Active player partisipation should be key for absolutely everything in the game, be it intel, profits, combat, ganks or whatever.

So no buy orders, no sell orders, no PI, no researching BPs, and you'll need a T3 Toolbelt with t2 Hammer and T2 Rivit gun to build that next Brutix.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Borlag Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-06-06 23:54:00 UTC
Malcolm Shinhwa wrote:
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

Local chat says hello to being obvious someone just jumped in.

That just tells someone entered local, not where. Might be another gate, cyno, jump bridge, wormhole or just someone logging in there. Not exactly accurate information that something's coming through a specific gate.

I think what he means is that this happens before gate flash: hence you can start paying attention to the gate as soon as you see someone enter local. You didn't need to watch the gate for flashing all the time. I'd be in favour of having a strong visual que but I'll manage with the current situation. Gates are nicer to watch nowadays though!

Ah okay. Agreed with that 100%. Active player partisipation should be key for absolutely everything in the game, be it intel, profits, combat, ganks or whatever.

So no buy orders, no sell orders, no PI, no researching BPs, and you'll need a T3 Toolbelt with t2 Hammer and T2 Rivit gun to build that next Brutix.

Except that buy and sell orders require another players active partisipation in fullfilling the said order. Don't be daft.
Malcolm Shinhwa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#58 - 2013-06-06 23:54:03 UTC
KrakizBad wrote:
Like the graphics, love the jump animation, confirm the gate flash needs to be brighter and more noisy.

Its certainly noisy as all heck in my speakers when I jump. Seems like it should make a little noise for the watchers too. Well no, its space and shouldn't make any noise at all. But lets not carry the logic too far.

[i]"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental[/i]."

Corsica Blood
Doomheim
#59 - 2013-06-07 11:38:59 UTC
bump gate flash needs to be brighter
StarRanger
Pandemic Horde Inc.
Pandemic Horde
#60 - 2013-06-07 12:55:25 UTC
Stoogie wrote:
Need more Cowbell.... I mean Gate flash

this game needs more cowbells! Shocked

🌟 Playing with spaceships since 2003, serious business! 🚀