These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What happend to the gate flash?

First post
Author
Kathy Stewart
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#21 - 2013-06-05 11:27:27 UTC
agreed
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#22 - 2013-06-05 11:31:16 UTC
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

Local chat says hello to being obvious someone just jumped in.

That just tells someone entered local, not where. Might be another gate, cyno, jump bridge, wormhole or just someone logging in there. Not exactly accurate information that something's coming through a specific gate.

I think what he means is that this happens before gate flash: hence you can start paying attention to the gate as soon as you see someone enter local. You didn't need to watch the gate for flashing all the time. I'd be in favour of having a strong visual que but I'll manage with the current situation. Gates are nicer to watch nowadays though!
Borlag Crendraven
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2013-06-05 11:34:47 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

That just tells someone entered local, not where. Might be another gate, cyno, jump bridge, wormhole or just someone logging in there. Not exactly accurate information that something's coming through a specific gate.

I think what he means is that this happens before gate flash: hence you can start paying attention to the gate as soon as you see someone enter local. You didn't need to watch the gate for flashing all the time. I'd be in favour of having a strong visual que but I'll manage with the current situation. Gates are nicer to watch nowadays though!

Ah okay. Agreed with that 100%. Active player partisipation should be key for absolutely everything in the game, be it intel, profits, combat, ganks or whatever.
Stridsflygplan
Deliverance.
Arrival.
#24 - 2013-06-05 11:56:38 UTC
Inxentas Ultramar wrote:
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
Nevyn Auscent wrote:

The gates look good but the jump flash effect when some else jump is kinda poor looking. before the flash reached the star in the sky box and now it end 200km off the gate and faints away. Should be possible for it to at least look like it goes somewhere.
Random Majere
Rogue Fleet
#25 - 2013-06-05 12:15:36 UTC
So CCP just nerfed gate camping? Lol
Ruskarn Andedare
Lion Investments
#26 - 2013-06-05 13:27:44 UTC
Random Majere wrote:

Nope, just AFK gate camping Twisted
ROXGenghis
Perkone
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-06-05 14:22:14 UTC
This is actually a pretty big deal to those who PVP, especially small gang and solo PVP. We really need an obvious gate flash and sound effect when we are busy fighting on a gate, or D-scanning on a gate. I don't care about gate camping or AFK playing; the change is affecting real PVPers who are actively roaming.
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#28 - 2013-06-05 14:37:11 UTC
You mean I will be able to warp out and possibly avoid those lazy gate campers (profession? really? hahaha) in something bigger than a destroyer without having to fit stabs?

Say it isn't so!

Or you know... invest in some bubbles....

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#29 - 2013-06-05 14:38:47 UTC
+1 for bringing back gate flashes and sounds.

I'm a great lover of stealth and cloakiness, but the gate activations were iconic and added life to the game. Please to be bringing them back!

A busy gate flashed and hummed with life, heralding the passing space traffic. Now its hard to tell if anything is even going on. People just appear and disappear near these dull structures, with little evidence of their movement.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Craig Bennett2th
Bennett Corp
#30 - 2013-06-05 17:49:52 UTC
Random Majere wrote:

Kinda. But, it also nerfed warfare, pvp (in general), and WH/null sec.

Hell is around every turn. It's your choice to go in it or not. Please check out the Rookies in EVE video playlist. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLioOFeHwQV5yNk2vpz8wX9hihLVQEIKLt

Alyssa Tekitomura
Kruxwaffe
#31 - 2013-06-05 18:32:07 UTC
ROXGenghis wrote:
This is actually a pretty big deal to those who PVP, especially small gang and solo PVP. We really need an obvious gate flash and sound effect when we are busy fighting on a gate, or D-scanning on a gate. I don't care about gate camping or AFK playing; the change is affecting real PVPers who are actively roaming.

Baren
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2013-06-05 18:49:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Baren
agreed

I need my Gate FLash for my PvP thingy i do... and I also us the sound the gate makes when people jump in for that PvP thingy I do. :( please CCP make my gates flash and make epic sound when people jump in.

ps.. I like how the gate only flashes in the direction of the other system.
ROXGenghis
Perkone
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-06-05 19:01:10 UTC
Baren wrote:
ps.. I like how the gate only flashes in the direction of the other system.

In fact, they should have two different animations for incoming and outgoing gate activations. For example, the "light beam" could be a carrier for a more distinct "light pulse" that travels either into or away from the gate.
Solutio Letum
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#34 - 2013-06-05 19:13:37 UTC
they need to fix this
Dun'Gal
Myriad Contractors Inc.
#35 - 2013-06-05 19:37:51 UTC
Borlag Crendraven wrote:
While I have to admit that I haven't camped gates that much, I did spend over an hour at different gates yesterday after the patch and found that a simple trick of setting focus on the gate itself, turning the camera so that it shows the "opening" of the gate will allow you to clearly see anything coming through. Sure that makes it difficult for the said person to also act as the decloaker, but in the end all you need is one person to pay attention to the activation itself and inform the rest of the camp in coms that something's coming.

Hi, pay attention to previous posts:

Etuura Zellis wrote:
is particularly unnoticable when you're in the middle of fighting someone on the gate

and the posts after

ROXGenghis wrote:

Bring it back, that is all
Seniae 0n3
#36 - 2013-06-05 19:41:49 UTC
So now instead of excessively yawning at a gate you have to pay attention to who comes through? How is that so much a problem. Interact, play, be active and communicate. You can do it ... really
Praetor Meles
Black Mount Industrial
Breakpoint.
#37 - 2013-06-05 19:46:52 UTC
I want the gate to flash so hard that it burns my eyeballs out of their sockets. And for the steam to then come out my nose. But only if I'm not wearing my goggles*.

Moar. Flash.

*you all wear goggles, but no pants, when playing Eve, right?

[insert random rubbish that irritates you personally] is further evidence that Eve is dying/thriving*

• delete as required to make your point
ROXGenghis
Perkone
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-06-05 19:49:54 UTC
It's pretty clear that those claiming this is principally a nerf to gate camping have never gate camped. Gate camps always have someone on the other side of the gate so they can see what's incoming. Gate campers don't rely on the gate flash, they rely on intel from their cloaky alt. So the loss of gateflash doesn't affect them at all. What it does affect are roamers.
Palovana
Inner Fire Inc.
#39 - 2013-06-05 20:27:04 UTC
Gate flash should look at least half as awesome as the gate jump animation.
Strom Crendraven
The H8teful Eight
#40 - 2013-06-05 21:29:41 UTC
Gate campers I feel your pain, if they took away the WH jump animation and sound us WH dwellers would be freaking out, and Borlag Crendraven would probably be one of the ones crying the loudest.