These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

First day - a little ice mining report

First post First post
Author
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#1 - 2013-06-04 20:14:36 UTC
Today I returned back home from work, then wanted to see the new ice minining mechanic in action.

I have to say that it seem to work quite well, I'd have some remarks to point out.

1) It'd be very nice if the ice roids shrunk while depleting. It'd be both realistic and useful.

2) The ice fields get depleted a bit too fast.

Why:

- Today we had no bots (and people actually chatted!), they are still broken due to the patch.
Moreover there's a lot of people who did not inform themselves about the patch (so they don't know what to do), unable to log in etc. etc.
This resulted in 37 to 55 people being in local instead of 190 to 222.

- Despite the low number of people in local, the reference ice fields depleted in about 1.40 hours. Once numbers pick up, this means the spawn will last as little as 30 minutes.

All those who can't play for 2-3 hours won't get a slice of the spawn, hopping across several jumps with ships unable to even perform a full warp (small capacitor) won't help them enjoy the time they have got.

- At the same time, the lasers cycle twice as fast.

Imo the "chance to access" the spawns would be better (keeping the overall mined amounts constant) if the lasers would be slowed again and maybe respawn timers lowered to 3 hours.

Shukuzen
#2 - 2013-06-04 20:22:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Shukuzen
My ice mining corp made over 200 pieces of ice in a hilariously short amount of time(with only 2 of them mining). I think ice mining is perfect :D
It was actually a lot more fun than parking a mackinaw in a belt and checking on it every half an hour.
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#3 - 2013-06-04 20:43:49 UTC
Unless you log in after 1 minute the belt has been mined out, then you're SOL for 4 hours.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

GreenSeed
#4 - 2013-06-04 20:47:29 UTC
the problem is belt respawning 4 hours after the current belt is completely exhausted. it should be every 4 hours, period. At least this change would make the spawn predictable and people could time other in game activities accordingly.
Iosue
Black Sky Hipsters
#5 - 2013-06-04 20:52:28 UTC
does anyone know what happens when you're already in system and the ice anom respawns? does the scanner sweep again, or does the ice anom just show up as a new site?
Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#6 - 2013-06-04 20:53:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Captain Tardbar
GreenSeed wrote:
the problem is belt respawning 4 hours after the current belt is completely exhausted. it should be every 4 hours, period. At least this change would make the spawn predictable and people could time other in game activities accordingly.

Yeah the key problem with current spawn is that no one knows when the next belt will spawn.

Most fleet conversations go like this:

"So when will the ice belt spawn?"
"I don't know. We mined it out like 3 hours ago so maybe in one more."
*an hour later*
"Has the belt spawned yet?"
"I don't know. I actually lost count of the time we mined it out."

If there was a count down timer in the system scanner to let you know when the belt is going to spawn, it would save a lot of grief over the issue.

No one wants to sit there for an indeterminate amount of time hoping that they'll get a spawn.

Also no one is still talking in my system except for isk doubler spammers.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2013-06-04 20:54:42 UTC
Iosue wrote:
does anyone know what happens when you're already in system and the ice anom respawns? does the scanner sweep again, or does the ice anom just show up as a new site?

You have to keep mashing the scan button as far as I can tell.

Mc Scam
Doomheim
#8 - 2013-06-04 20:54:52 UTC
Sounds to me like you need to band together and kill the botters, less off them more ice for you, it's that simple.

Also if you work together in bigger corps/alliances(ice cartels, who knows, ice might be the next technetium) you can have intel when stuff spawns monitor movement of suicide gankers etc.
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#9 - 2013-06-04 20:56:08 UTC
High sec problems.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Rengerel en Distel
#10 - 2013-06-04 20:56:56 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Iosue wrote:

You can't mash the scan button btw ... new anomalies are supposed to show up instantly on the scanner if you have it sweeping ... YMMV as it's still a bit buggy.

With the increase in shiptoasting, the Report timer needs to be shortened.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-06-04 21:02:30 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Iosue wrote:

You can't mash the scan button btw ... new anomalies are supposed to show up instantly on the scanner if you have it sweeping ... YMMV as it's still a bit buggy.

By mashing I mean I click the scan probes option and then close out the window and do it again. Rather tedious.

Dave Stark
#12 - 2013-06-04 21:04:05 UTC
looks like it's working well.
Implying Implications
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2013-06-04 21:28:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Implying Implications
Wow hisec must be so difficult now.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#14 - 2013-06-04 21:47:27 UTC
Mc Scam wrote:
Sounds to me like you need to band together and kill the botters, less off them more ice for you, it's that simple.

Also if you work together in bigger corps/alliances(ice cartels, who knows, ice might be the next technetium) you can have intel when stuff spawns monitor movement of suicide gankers etc.

Cartels won't happen when their result is to reduce the amount of stuff the individual can take.
In fact you made the typical example (technetium) of something that won't despawn and thus is a top candidate for organizing about.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#15 - 2013-06-04 21:49:14 UTC
Implying Implications wrote:
Wow hisec must be so difficult now.

Anyone implied that? Your eyes do not seem to keep up with your name.
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#16 - 2013-06-04 21:58:13 UTC
The miners could set up a mailing list and send out the times ice belts despawn. It would increase the amount of ice any given miner get because then he will then know what system to go to for ice. Thus it would be in everyone's interest to support it.

Sitting for four hours ice mining is not very engaging game play, but sitting for four hours doing nothing but waiting for ice to spawn is even less.

The scanner does keep running automatically if you keep the scan window open. Im not sure if its closed as to what happens.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Veraca Darmazaf
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#17 - 2013-06-04 22:02:09 UTC
The scanner updates when the server pushes an update to you, according to a blue CCP name in help chat earlier.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#18 - 2013-06-04 23:01:26 UTC
I am now waiting since 5 hours and no ice anomaly respawned yet. What gives?
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#19 - 2013-06-04 23:02:48 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
I am now waiting since 5 hours and no ice anomaly respawned yet. What gives?

Working as intended...not.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#20 - 2013-06-04 23:40:06 UTC
Still waiting for ice belt to repop.

Only 28 in local (that gives out the fact that I am not "missing" the spawn), I also relogged 3 times to make sure my client is not the issue.
123Next pageLast page