These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

New star trek and ship battles.

Author
Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#1 - 2013-06-03 19:42:21 UTC
So my stunning wife and my dashing self went to see the new motion picture Star Trek in 3d, and my favorite part was the ship battles. My lovely wife and I got into a discussion about space ships, and I told her I would probably pay to see an hour and a half of space combat. She said I was crazy. The scenario is would you pay 3d movie prices to see a hour long feature of space combat in 3d?

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#2 - 2013-06-03 19:46:17 UTC
3D induced headaches aside, it would depend on the space battle. I'm not as much a fan of the new Star Treks myself. Now if we had the final battle for Galactica in 3D, then hell yeah.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#3 - 2013-06-03 19:54:37 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
3D induced headaches aside, it would depend on the space battle. I'm not as much a fan of the new Star Treks myself. Now if we had the final battle for Galactica in 3D, then hell yeah.

I was thinking along the lines of an eve space battle with dust battles mixed. I never had a problem with 3d, I think it depends on the movie though.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Zimmy Zeta
Perkone
Caldari State
#4 - 2013-06-03 19:56:47 UTC
There is somewhere a video on the internet where some guy took all the Star Wars movies (yes, all three) and made a montage of all the blaster / laser shootings and space battles while removing everything else.
Pretty epic, but I couldn't find it anymore. Cry

I'd like to apologize for the poor quality of the post above and sincerely hope you didn't waste your time reading it. Yes, I do feel bad about it.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#5 - 2013-06-03 20:04:54 UTC
Kult Altol wrote:
Micheal Dietrich wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of an eve space battle with dust battles mixed. I never had a problem with 3d, I think it depends on the movie though.

I think Tron was the worst for me, I kept having to take the glasses off every 20 minutes or so.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#6 - 2013-06-03 21:30:57 UTC
Battle of Jutland : In space.

Showdown of the British Star Fleet vs the KosmoKriegsMarine.

How much would you pay too see that?

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Charles Javeroux
INTERSTELLAR CREDIT
#7 - 2013-06-04 07:30:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Charles Javeroux
Kirjava wrote:

In fact, they would have to pay me to watch that piece of mastership. Not in dollas or uroz, but in pure gold...
Alara IonStorm
#8 - 2013-06-04 07:56:09 UTC
Kirjava wrote:

That would be a terrible movie battle. Two absolutely massive fleets meet, a few of the poorly defended ships explode then the German fleet retreats with the other scared to follow for fear of space torpedoes. The KosmoKriegsMarine then locks itself in port for the rest of the movie doing nothing until they surrender. Not one of the 44 big Dreadnought Battleships were sunk in that Battle.

Jutland and the Naval Battles of WW1 were a case of blue balls on a Battleship scale. Not once did one Dreadnought sink another. Battle of Tsushima on the other hand is the greatest hands down Battleship on Battleship engagement in history.
Graygor
1kB Realty
#9 - 2013-06-04 08:23:18 UTC
Trafalgar 3D Cool

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#10 - 2013-06-04 08:24:59 UTC
something is wrong with our bloody ships today!
Kirjava
Lothian Enterprises
#11 - 2013-06-04 09:15:30 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
Kirjava wrote:

That would be a terrible movie battle. Two absolutely massive fleets meet, a few of the poorly defended ships explode then the German fleet retreats with the other scared to follow for fear of space torpedoes. The KosmoKriegsMarine then locks itself in port for the rest of the movie doing nothing until they surrender. Not one of the 44 big Dreadnought Battleships were sunk in that Battle.

Jutland and the Naval Battles of WW1 were a case of blue balls on a Battleship scale. Not once did one Dreadnought sink another. Battle of Tsushima on the other hand is the greatest hands down Battleship on Battleship engagement in history.

Okay suit yourselves, I like the idea of the movie incorporating the strategic positioning, the drama of the Battelecruiser Captains knowing they are being fielded as Battleships.

[center]Haruhiists - Overloading Out of Pod discussions since 2007. /人◕‿‿◕人\ Unban Saede![/center]

Alara IonStorm
#12 - 2013-06-04 09:31:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Kirjava wrote:

Okay suit yourselves, I like the idea of the movie incorporating the strategic positioning, the drama of the Battelecruiser Captains knowing they are being fielded as Battleships.

Less Drama then Tsushima. 4 Japanese Battleships take on a fleet of 13 in the penultimate battle that decided a war and shaped naval strategy for the next 30 years. Completely under gunned and going into battle against one of the Great Powers Admiral Togo raised a flag before the engagement that meant the fate of the Empire was at stake and meant it. Togo believed he was the reincarnation of Admiral Nelson and everyone did called him the Easts Nelson, the US, Britain, France, Italy, The Netherlands and China sent fleets to parade at his funeral.

Jutland is like Endor without the Death Star and the main massive fleets never really do anything.
Kimire
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#13 - 2013-06-04 12:19:58 UTC
I loved the space battles so yeah i probably would.
Graygor
1kB Realty
#14 - 2013-06-05 05:21:43 UTC
The Life And Times of Admiral Rodney

This man needs movies made on his career.

Carry on Rodders o7

Spaceship battles arent as cool as sail ship battles.

"I think you should buy a new Mayan calendar. Mine has muscle cars on it." - Kenneth O'Hara

"I dont think that can happen, you can see Gray has his invuln field on in his portrait." - Commissar "Cake" Kate

Hrothgar Nilsson
#15 - 2013-06-05 07:31:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
Alara IonStorm wrote:

The German fleet staying in port for most of the rest of WWI was blue balls. The Battle of Jutland was most definitely was not.

The fact that no dreadnoughts were sunk wasn't for lack of trying. And the battlecruisers lost were no less a capital ship than the dreadnoughts were. Battlecruisers weren't second-tier, they were in the same tier as dreadnoughts.

The Battle of Tsushima was a one-sided turkey shoot. Russian numbers, at least in regard to 8 Russian BBs to 4 Japanese, looked good on paper, but they were subpar ships at the end of a 10,000 mile cruise, poorly commanded, with inferior ammunition and guns, and poorly trained sailors.
Alara IonStorm
#16 - 2013-06-05 09:00:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:

The German fleet staying in port for most of the rest of WWI was blue balls. The Battle of Jutland was most definitely was not.

The fact that no dreadnoughts were sunk wasn't for lack of trying. And the battlecruisers lost were no less a capital ship than the dreadnoughts were. Battlecruisers weren't second-tier, they were in the same tier as dreadnoughts.

Absolutely it was blue balls. Those ships sunk represented about 5% of the fleet. The worst 5% for the Battleline. Jutland was big but it was mostly fireworks.

Not really great for a movie. It may have been the biggest but it just wasn't climactic. Again Endor without any of the Death Star or any of the important Battleships being destroyed. By comparison however.

Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:

The Battle of Tsushima was a one-sided turkey shoot. Russian numbers, at least in regard to 8 Russian BBs to 4 Japanese, looked good on paper, but they were subpar ships at the end of a 10,000 mile cruise, poorly commanded, with inferior ammunition and guns, and poorly trained sailors.

Which is why the underdogs won. It was a story about a massive fleet from the other side of the world coming to crush a small power and was in turn felled through skill, discipline and superb command. It decided the fate of a war and destroyed the Russian Navy. That is much more exciting story then everyone back to their corner after losing an insignificant amount of ships.

I could see a movie about that. Humanity beleaguered by war with Aliens. A Massive 5000 Space Battleship Warfleet from the other side of the galaxy, coming to crush us. If the Warfleet wins then Humanity loses their ability to support their troops fighting on their countless colony worlds which will be abandoned to the enemy. The stakes could not be higher when elite core of the small fleet moves to save their Empire from impending doom with nothing but their superior training to rely on.

A much better more climactic space movie.
Random McNally
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#17 - 2013-06-05 17:13:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Random McNally
Yea.

but I want to see tactics and maneuvering, not just ships blapping each other until death.

Host of High Drag Podcast. http://highdrag.wordpress.com/

Space music http://minddivided.com

I G Channel HighDragChat

Broadcast4Reps

Hrothgar Nilsson
#18 - 2013-06-05 22:50:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
I'm not sure how the decision of the KM high command to sail out to lure the RN into a hoped-for decisive confrontation at Jutland in any way constitutes blue balls. Blue balls, as the term is used in the context of EVE, means staying docked and avoiding confrontation. The action at Jutland was both sides throwing all their chips down, and that both fleets sailed away mostly intact doesn't change that.

The loss of life at Jutland was also among the largest death tolls in a naval battle in modern times, probably third or fourth after Tsushima and Leyte Gulf. More died at Jutland than Midway, Coral Sea, and the Philippine Sea combined.

And again, battlecruisers weren't any less a capital ship than the dreadnoughts, they were in the same tier. To use EVE parlance, they were essentially speed tanking dreadnoughts.

To use EVE parlance again, Tsushima would be the equivalent of a gang with a smaller core of faction battleships with faction ammo, faction/tech 2 modules picking off newbs with more tier 1, tech 1 fitted battleships but which had mismatched guns, bad fits, and practically no support. The faction battleship gang would be accompanied by a large group of support vessels like e-war, stealth bombers, command ships and dictors while the newb group had practically no support.

Who was the "underdog" had more to do with racial ideas of superior Europeans vs. inferior Asians than it had to do with actual ability or the respective strengths. The worn-out Russian fleet at the end of a 10,000 mile journey was in no way in a superior position or more capable than the Japanese fleet which had superior capital ships and an exceedingly strong support fleet operating in what was essentially their home waters.

The engagement was an extremely decisive victory for the Japanese, but a one-sided turkey shoot and rout isn't what most people have in mind when they imagine an epic battle where two sides meet, a suspenseful hard fought battle ensues that seems it could go either way at many points before one side ekes out victory in the face of adversity.
Alara IonStorm
#19 - 2013-06-06 08:14:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:
I'm not sure how the decision of the KM high command to sail out to lure the RN into a hoped-for decisive confrontation at Jutland in any way constitutes blue balls. Blue balls, as the term is used in the context of EVE, means staying docked and avoiding confrontation. The action at Jutland was both sides throwing all their chips down, and that both fleets sailed away mostly intact doesn't change that.

The loss of life at Jutland was also among the largest death tolls in a naval battle in modern times, probably third or fourth after Tsushima and Leyte Gulf. More died at Jutland than Midway, Coral Sea, and the Philippine Sea combined.

And again, battlecruisers weren't any less a capital ship than the dreadnoughts, they were in the same tier. To use EVE parlance, they were essentially speed tanking dreadnoughts.

Still missing the point. So what if the death toll was high or Battlecruisers were big. None of the real line Capital ships built for the Battleline were destroyed. Less then 5% of the ships were destroyed.

That is not climatic for a Battle at all. Not like Midway, the Coral Sea or the Philippine Sea. Just boring with no Dreadnoughts sinking. It is such a joke especially compared to the Trafalgar of the East.

Besides numbers Jutland had nothing and the number of ships can be upscaled to whatever it needs to be in space making Jutland moot.
Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:

To use EVE parlance again, Tsushima would be the equivalent of a gang with a smaller core of faction battleships with faction ammo, faction/tech 2 modules picking off newbs with more tier 1, tech 1 fitted battleships but which had mismatched guns, bad fits, and practically no support. The faction battleship gang would be accompanied by a large group of support vessels like e-war, stealth bombers, command ships and dictors while the newb group had practically no support.

You hugely overstate the value of the Japanese Battleships. Those Russian Battleships had the Armor and they had the Guns to be effective it was the Japanese skill that won it.

Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:

Who was the "underdog" had more to do with racial ideas of superior Europeans vs. inferior Asians than it had to do with actual ability or the respective strengths. The worn-out Russian fleet at the end of a 10,000 mile journey was in no way in a superior position or more capable than the Japanese fleet which had superior capital ships and an exceedingly strong support fleet operating in what was essentially their home waters.

Le sigh. 1. The racial angle is better for a movie. Humanity proving itself against the aliens. 2. Yes it was. They had twice as many Battleships of almost the same quality. The problems with those ships had everything to do with Russian mismanagement which is another good thing for the movie.

Hrothgar Nilsson wrote:

The engagement was an extremely decisive victory for the Japanese, but a one-sided turkey shoot and rout isn't what most people have in mind when they imagine an epic battle where two sides meet, a suspenseful hard fought battle ensues that seems it could go either way at many points before one side ekes out victory in the face of adversity.

So not Jutland. The battle where none of the important ships were blown up. 95% of the fleets returned home and both sides declared victory.

The suspense comes in the long war leading up to the battle, the hits the enemy does make, the people on the few hundred ships that the Aliens destroy. Bigger space fleet more looses per capita to work with. The awesome comes from humanity kicking ass and taking names independence day style, blowing those alien bastards out of the sky.

Tsushima = 10 times more awesome then boring old no dreadnoughts sink blue balls Jutland.
Hrothgar Nilsson
#20 - 2013-06-06 20:41:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Hrothgar Nilsson
You have missed the point because you're applying your understanding of battlecruisers and where they fit in a hierarchy is as they exist in EVE Online, a fictional video game, with obviously no understanding to the reality and actuality of what these ships WERE in the earlier 20th century.

They were capital ships. They were real line capital ships. They were real line capital ships equal in their 'capitalness' to dreadnoughts. They occupied the same top tier and were in no way junior to or second fiddle to the dreadnought.

HMS Lion (battlecruiser) vs. HMS Orion (first "super-dreadnought"), both laid down 1910:

• displacement: 26,000 tons vs. 22,000 tons
  • length: 700 feet vs. 581 feet
  • main armament: eight 13.5" vs. ten 13.5"
  • engines: 70,000 hp vs 27,000 hp
  • crew: 1100 vs. 750

You obviously have absolutely no damned idea what you're talking about. Your assumptions with regards to battlecruisers and thinking about them in what's obviously the context of where they fit in a video game's hierarchy points to a shocking degree of ignorance on the matter you're trying to debate.
12Next page