These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12
 

Please delete, original purpose lost.

Author
Sirelle
#21 - 2013-06-03 18:05:43 UTC
Having a exploitable backdoor/vulnerability is ccp fault, at least on some degree. Should they compensate with free sp? well... a lot of ppl actualy lost training time because of the downtime, but at the same time it kinda gives the wrong message, doesn't it?

For example, if i did't have a full queue by now i would lost 24hs, and i can't get into eve (because of work) for 3 more hours, if i did't have a full queue i would be crying on the bathroom right now.

In the other hand, if they choose to give free SP (this will calm the beast), they are making themself target of future attacks. Either way. They are surely going to throw something at us. I hope its free SP but i will totaly understand if they chose not to.
Naomi Hale
#22 - 2013-06-03 18:06:11 UTC
Montevius Williams wrote:
Naomi Hale wrote:
Montevius Williams wrote:
Gamers always looking for a handout. So sad.

Can you read?


I wasnt talking about you. Relax


Ah, sorry then. No-one seems to be reading or following the point of the thread. Funny ideas for things that CCP 'could' give. Not what I want/demand.... just some fun.

I'm Naomi Hale and this is my favourite thread on the forums.

Octoven
Noir Holdings
#23 - 2013-06-03 18:06:44 UTC
I tend to agree that CCP shouldn't hand out SP for the loss of service...I mean when my ISP decides to fart out for a day, I dont get a reduction on my monthly bill. However, CCP has always tried to maintain good customer relations. By giving compensations they are essentially saying, "Hey, we got caught with our pants down with this attack and weren't prepared, as a result, you the user, lost game time from it. Therefore, we would like to apologize through compensation."

Do I blame them for the attack, no. However, I can certainly understand their approach to compensation. Any good business will do this to retain customers, because although there are some of us who understand...the majority won't. Either way, I applaud them for taking a step to continue to show they actually try to connect with their player base unlike WoW who would say **** you, you arent getting ****.
Major 'Revolver' Ocelot
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#24 - 2013-06-03 18:07:26 UTC
Naomi Hale wrote:
Wow, did everyone miss the point of this thread.

CRAZY IDEAS FOR GIFTS WE HAVE NO EXPECTATION OF GETTING!

Don't make me do that again, I don't like my voice like this.


Pro tip: If your thread title asks "Why free SP?" then people are going to answer the question provided in your title, sometimes without even reading your post.
Naomi Hale
#25 - 2013-06-03 18:10:37 UTC
Major 'Revolver' Ocelot wrote:
Naomi Hale wrote:
Wow, did everyone miss the point of this thread.

CRAZY IDEAS FOR GIFTS WE HAVE NO EXPECTATION OF GETTING!

Don't make me do that again, I don't like my voice like this.


Pro tip: If your thread title asks "Why free SP?" then people are going to answer the question provided in your title, sometimes without even reading your post.


I'm learning that the hard way right now... sigh.

I'm Naomi Hale and this is my favourite thread on the forums.

Cipher Jones
The Thomas Edwards Taco Tuesday All Stars
#26 - 2013-06-03 18:14:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Cipher Jones
It shouldn't be SP at all, and it damn well should be monetary.

Consumer laws are different everywhere, but where I live if the service is shut off for whatever reason then you get your bill pro-rated.

Quote:
.I mean when my ISP decides to fart out for a day, I dont get a reduction on my monthly bill.

In any state with a PUC you sure do. I've even received an entire month in states without a PUC for a single days disruption.

If your sub was due on the 5th it should now be due on the 6th.

That won't happen because it costs CCP money. That's why they give SP. That's why people ask for SP, because that's how its gone down in the past.

internet spaceships

are serious business sir.

and don't forget it

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-06-03 18:18:16 UTC
Xen Solarus wrote:
It's called a denial of service attack for a reason. The hackers denied us our service. In this case, EvE.

I'd suggest they deal with it. Its hardly CCPs fault for those that failed to keep their skill-queue sufficently filled. Lesson learned? Always make the last thing in the queue something big.


So if a 30 day skill just happened to end on Sunday?

I suppose CCP could not give a skill bonus, but they will and it proves they are nice unlike you and most of other forum posters.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Minsc
Phoenix Order
#28 - 2013-06-03 18:26:45 UTC
Othran wrote:
Its amusing how many people go into "defensive mode" for their service provider, be that an ISP, game server or whatever.

If I turned your water off for 24 hours (average usage cost in UK £1.75/day) would you think that was fine?

CCP don't need defenders, they screwed up (vulnerability) and someone took advantage. There appears to be a dDOS at the same time (early Sunday morning UTC time) but its not clear to me what occurred after that. What was clear to most English speaking users is that the launcher had a Russian login prompt until the server/auth servers were taken down.

So perhaps its best just to leave it to CCP who have already said they are looking at compensation. There's more to this than just the lulzsec crap.


A game being offline /= to having an essential service offline. regardless even with essential svc's you don't get compensated for an unplanned outage, nor should you. Hell my hydro was out for 2 days after a severe storm and I never received any refund on my svc's, nor did I expect to be. The entitlement people have nowadays is pathetic really.
Jimmy Morane
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#29 - 2013-06-03 18:29:28 UTC
To the OP: I want a Quafe teeshirt dammit.
Naomi Hale
#30 - 2013-06-03 18:31:20 UTC
Jimmy Morane wrote:
To the OP: I want a Quafe teeshirt dammit.

Thank you... just... thank you.

I'm Naomi Hale and this is my favourite thread on the forums.

Funky Lazers
Funk Freakers
#31 - 2013-06-03 18:37:23 UTC
It's CCPs job to protect their servers. Internet's evironment is violent, everybody knows that.
Just like the tank makers make an armor for their tank so it can survive in harsh conditions. If the tank was shot down it's the makers' fault for not making a better armor.

That would be irrelevant if it were in 19**-2000 year, because there was no protection against DDoS attacks at that time.

Whatever.

Minsc
Phoenix Order
#32 - 2013-06-03 18:39:54 UTC
Cipher Jones wrote:
It shouldn't be SP at all, and it damn well should be monetary.

Consumer laws are different everywhere, but where I live if the service is shut off for whatever reason then you get your bill pro-rated.

Quote:
.I mean when my ISP decides to fart out for a day, I dont get a reduction on my monthly bill.

In any state with a PUC you sure do. I've even received an entire month in states without a PUC for a single days disruption.

If your sub was due on the 5th it should now be due on the 6th.

That won't happen because it costs CCP money. That's why they give SP. That's why people ask for SP, because that's how its gone down in the past.


If you got a months credit for an outage that was a P/R credit from the provider. Every license agreement for a service provider includes a clause regarding unplanned downtimes because frankly **** happens and they can't guarantee 100% uptime.
Zane Tekitsu
The Munitions Miracle Network
#33 - 2013-06-03 19:08:56 UTC
A new booster: Faction Spirits
Octoven
Noir Holdings
#34 - 2013-06-03 19:45:18 UTC
Funky Lazers wrote:
It's CCPs job to protect their servers. Internet's evironment is violent, everybody knows that.
Just like the tank makers make an armor for their tank so it can survive in harsh conditions. If the tank was shot down it's the makers' fault for not making a better armor.

That would be irrelevant if it were in 19**-2000 year, because there was no protection against DDoS attacks at that time.


This is why the EULA clearly absolves CCP of such issues by telling the user that service is not guaranteed 100% of the time. Thus the user knows this going in and should expect disruptions in service from time to time that are beyond the immediate abilities for CCP to fix. As described below. Whether they are responsible or not is irrelevant, as a company they have already informed you that you should expect this and thus they shouldnt feel an obligation to compensate as it has already been disclosed in advance.

"While CCP attempts to have the System available at most times, CCP does not guarantee that the System will always be available, or that the System will not become unavailable during Game play. The System may become unavailable for a number of reasons, including without limitation during the performance of maintenance to the System, for the implementation of new software, for emergency situations and due to equipment or telecommunications failures."

Cipher Jones wrote:


In any state with a PUC you sure do. I've even received an entire month in states without a PUC for a single days disruption.

If your sub was due on the 5th it should now be due on the 6th.

That won't happen because it costs CCP money. That's why they give SP. That's why people ask for SP, because that's how its gone down in the past.



Unfortunately in this state no such law exist. In fact the US is horrible for internet. I pay $50 a month for a 8 meg connection when I have friends in other aparts of the country who pay $40 for a 30 meg. Since there is only one provider though, competition isnt high and thus prices are :/ My provider doesn't reimburse me for anything, nor do they contact me when the net will be down for maintenance. Why? Because where would I go to get internet? lol not like I have a choice.
Major 'Revolver' Ocelot
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#35 - 2013-06-03 19:47:32 UTC
Naomi Hale wrote:
Major 'Revolver' Ocelot wrote:
Naomi Hale wrote:
Wow, did everyone miss the point of this thread.

CRAZY IDEAS FOR GIFTS WE HAVE NO EXPECTATION OF GETTING!

Don't make me do that again, I don't like my voice like this.


Pro tip: If your thread title asks "Why free SP?" then people are going to answer the question provided in your title, sometimes without even reading your post.


I'm learning that the hard way right now... sigh.


That's usually the best way to learn a lesson I find. It really stays in your head! Lol
Previous page12