These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

WTF OMG SO MANY OFF GRID BOOSTAS

Author
Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
Khimi Harar
#61 - 2013-05-28 19:26:40 UTC
This is a simple risk/reward issue. Rewards for running an OGB's is too big in comparison to the risk the OGB runners take, especially in the low-sec FW enviroment.

Smart players have figured this out and are using it to their benefit. However, the best counter to an OGB is get an OGB yourself, which means that the trend is viral and self-reinforcing, which is *bad* for a game. Same problem existed with the nano-age, where you couldn't compete unless you nanoed too.

Bringing the booster on grid is one possibility of introducing more risk. Until then, people will use OGB's, even those who don't like them will need to use OGB's simply because it is the most efficient way to keep competing.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#62 - 2013-05-28 19:57:58 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
chatgris wrote:
Haulie Berry wrote:
Those are going to be the most delicious tears Eve has ever seen. I can't wait for the, "OMG WILL U REIMBURSE MY SKILLSPOINTS?" threads. Lol

This. I am so looking forward to this.

All the pro pvpers crying...

Is going to be a sight.

That will be pebbles coming down a hill compared to the avalanche of a future supercap rebalance thread tbh.
Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#63 - 2013-05-28 20:09:30 UTC
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
2. No i don't care about fair, i'm in Dread Cartel for fucks sake. A ship providing a 50% boost without requiring to be piloted; with absolutely minimal risk (Or no risk at all if its posed up) is terrible, terrible gameplay.

You mean Coward Cartel? Big smile
Garviel Tarrant
Beyond Divinity Inc
Shadow Cartel
#64 - 2013-05-28 21:17:27 UTC
Xolve wrote:
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
2. No i don't care about fair, i'm in Dread Cartel for fucks sake. A ship providing a 50% boost without requiring to be piloted; with absolutely minimal risk (Or no risk at all if its posed up) is terrible, terrible gameplay.

Hmm.. how did this go.. kettle.. black.. something..

P

BYDI recruitment closed-ish

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#65 - 2013-05-28 21:59:32 UTC
Deacon Abox wrote:
The devs put out a blog on changes to the strength imbalances between of tech IIIs and command ships. Until their grand plan of removing the off-grid booster is complete surely they could just implement the proposed nerf to the power of Tech III command links.

It's very simple, and will partially fix the problem, tamp down the complaints, and maybe make command ships relevant again until the grand fix. All it would take is a simple change in one value in the database.

Not really, these guys will always be complaining about something.
Taoist Dragon
Okata Syndicate
#66 - 2013-05-28 22:12:07 UTC
I have a complaint.

....erm....

somewhere in here.......two secs.....

Damn!

Why can't I find my complaint CCP Fix this **** please!!!!

That is the Way, the Tao.

Balance is everything.

Xolve
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#67 - 2013-05-28 22:53:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Xolve
Garviel Tarrant wrote:
Xolve wrote:

Hmm.. how did this go.. kettle.. black.. something..P

Hey man, you can spin whatever narrative you want if it makes you feel better about being a scrub, sweetheart.
Vizvig
Savage Blizzard
#68 - 2013-05-29 06:24:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Vizvig
Xolve wrote:
Coward Cartel?

it seems that someone has achieved this, for what he had paid additional $ 15

IMHO sad but true.
Kirkwood Ross
Golden Profession
#69 - 2013-05-30 05:18:18 UTC
You can always go to the Orgrimmar system and duel if you don't want to solo roam out of high sec.
Feffri
Dead's Prostitutes
The Initiative.
#70 - 2013-05-31 05:24:00 UTC
I don't understand why they don't just make it so they can't be activated in a pos and make it so t3's are as easy to scan down as any other cruiser. With the new scan mechanics and scan strength modules, and if ogb's were not allowed in pos's and if they were as easy to scan down as a cruiser. I feel there would be significant risk to losing ogb.s If anything bringing a cheap scanning alt would take the advantage away by just dropping some combat probes. having it so you need perfect scan skills and 3bil in virtue implants to scan it down is what makes it not risky. Just get rid of the whole nearly unscanable thing and pos thing..
mindimoo
Oyonata Gate Defence Force.
#71 - 2013-05-31 11:52:02 UTC

Speaking as a OGB myself I would love to have them nerfed, mostly because I am also a maxed skilled Falcon and flying one can be about the funniest thing in Eve.
Major Trant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#72 - 2013-05-31 12:41:13 UTC
Nobody seems to have thought about the most serious problem concerning the removal of OGBs...
What excuse will you use when you can no longer blame your loss on an OGB?

I use OGBs where I can, which is about 1/3rd of the times that I'm accused of using them.

Snakes? Nerf Snakes. Nerf all implants. In fact do away with them completely...

Guns? Make it so that any pilot with more than 50M SP can only fit one gun.
And if you're really pro you will fit a civilian gun.

OGB is an option.
Gief moer options! Then L2P
Merdaneth
Angel Wing.
Khimi Harar
#73 - 2013-05-31 12:57:15 UTC
Major Trant wrote:

OGB is an option.
Gief moer options! Then L2P

The problem is not that OGBs are an option, the problem is that they are *the* option.

As I pointed out before, all options need comparable risk/reward ratio's to be viable options and they need to have a non-viral component (proliferance of A is best countered by B, and not also doing A)

OGBs are too easy and cheap for their benefit and best countered by getting one of your own: poor game design.
sten mattson
Red Sky Morning
The Amarr Militia.
#74 - 2013-05-31 13:34:22 UTC
tbh with the new scanning changes , OGB will be a lot easier to scan down unless they are in a POS

IMMA FIRING MA LAZAR!!!

James 420
EVE Corporation 98188875
#75 - 2013-06-01 06:01:31 UTC
Kirkwood Ross wrote:
You can always go to the Orgrimmar system and duel if you don't want to solo roam out of high sec.

Yup eve is too hardcore for balance, duuuuuuuuude you can scam people and lie;
IN A VIDEOGAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you don't agree with me you should go back to world of warcraft (a casual game booooooooooooooooooooo, can you even lie in your casual themepark game?) am i right guys?

Proud enforcer of 420 BLAZE IT

Vizvig
Savage Blizzard
#76 - 2013-06-01 08:37:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Vizvig
lvl 1 ibis
lvl 10 - drake
lvl 30 - tengu
lvl 50 - dampener hookbill
lvl 60 - 100MN tengu under 1 OGB
lvl 70 - damp hookbill under 2 OGB
lvl 80 - 100MN tengu under 3 OGB and scout in adjacent system.

Big smile

Quote:
go play WoW

WoW in eve:
1 buffer - Ship w remote tracklink/sebo
2 aura - OGB
3 mana - capacitor
4 spells - active modules
5 dungeon - lvl 4 mission
6 mob farming field - anomaly
7 debuff - E-war
8 buff - remote links
9 mob - npc
10 exp - skillpoints
11 siege golem - dreadnought
12 siege SUPER golem - titan
13 standard account - PLEX paid
14 premium account - RM paid
15 premium ingame money (dont know how it called in WoW) - AUR
16 rings/amulets - implants
17 long time farmed item (unique probably) - deadspace item
18 boss - officer
19 duel - duel
20 farmer - carebear
21 invis - cloacking device

nooooooo- we are scummed
LaserzPewPew
Hard Knocks Inc.
Hard Knocks Citizens
#77 - 2013-06-01 19:59:23 UTC
There is no fair fight in eve. The only fair fight is the one you lose.
Zarnak Wulf
Task Force 641
Empyrean Edict
#78 - 2013-06-01 21:06:36 UTC
I had a few hours before I had to go to work today. Rather then log into Eve I found myself blowing the dust off of Dragon Age (first one). Had I logged into Eve I know pretty much what to expect:

Auga - Minmatar has at least two boosters set up.
Kourm/Huola - Multiple OGB as well as various gate camps. I haven't gone here outside of a gang in months to be perfectly honest.
Taff - Dual OGB.
Siseide - Missy will be baiting people while having a cloaked logi in the plex with her. OGB of course.
Amamake - Multiple OGB between pirates and PL
Gulm - Pirates with OGB.

So I could find out which system Imperial Outlaws is currently harvesting with our own OGB. (yawn). Or I can roam looking for those few without boosts. I recall having the same empty roams in Null. The excitement of low sec is quick action. But if you need to have a booster in tow - it no longer is quick. People sit in their respective 'castles' and harvest noob kills while taking very few chances of their own. OGB makes cowards of everyone. It's as simple as that.
Major Killz
inglorious bastards.
#79 - 2013-06-01 22:08:32 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
I had a few hours before I had to go to work today. Rather then log into Eve I found myself blowing the dust off of Dragon Age (first one). Had I logged into Eve I know pretty much what to expect:

Kourm/Huola - Multiple OGB as well as various gate camps. I haven't gone here outside of a gang in months to be perfectly honest.
Taff - Dual OGB.
Siseide - Missy will be baiting people while having a cloaked logi in the plex with her. OGB of course.
Gulm - Pirates with OGB.

So I could find out which system Imperial Outlaws is currently harvesting with our own OGB. (yawn). Or I can roam looking for those few without boosts. I recall having the same empty roams in Null. The excitement of low sec is quick action. But if you need to have a booster in tow - it no longer is quick. People sit in their respective 'castles' and harvest noob kills while taking very few chances of their own. OGB makes cowards of everyone. It's as simple as that.

Congrats! That was a depressing read.

[u]Ich bin ein Pirat ![/u]

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#80 - 2013-06-01 23:51:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Crosi Wesdo
Zarnak Wulf wrote:

Taff - Dual OGB.
Gulm - Pirates with OGB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nL48gIeKic Cowardly?

It takes a bit of effort to have a viable mobile booster. Too much effort for many it would seem. However, i find my booster can just about keep up with my nano frigate. The time it takes me to warp to a plex and enter is usually enough time to reach a safe or reapproach gate.

The whole argument about boosters slowing down gameplay makes no sense to me. Sure my booster isnt always the safest but it enables some great fights. A lot of the time people convo me after, most are not bitter about the booster, just surprised i engaged and shocked at the outcome.

Though i think im on my 38th maulus, so boosts dont make you invicible.