These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Intergalactic Summit

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Broteau to be extradited

Author
Seriphyn Inhonores
Elusenian Cooperative
#1 - 2013-06-01 14:53:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Seriphyn Inhonores
Article here

A shaming of the Republic government if there ever was one. As I presumed, doesn't seem capital punishment is legal in Caille, but given the extraordinary nature of the crime, I'm sure those delivering justice wished it were. This is effectively a death sentence, in which case.
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2013-06-01 15:08:30 UTC
I'm glad to see that both parties are satisfied now. Though this does raise a question

Did we humiliate the Republic by showing them they would of got what they wanted without acting up? Or does it show that they got what they wanted because they acted up?

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Philadunc Arsten
Jade Wolf Pack
#3 - 2013-06-01 15:53:36 UTC  |  Edited by: Philadunc Arsten
Both. But humbling not humiliting, as you say.

The Republic Fleet task force jumped into Colelie, in order to get Broteau so that he could face Tribal justice, and was a little hastey, to say the least. What some in the Republic may call a "typical Brutor" response. Would the FedNav have done the same thing, if the Republic had some one the Federation wanted, for a similar act of terrorisim? Probably. That particular precedent has already been set, during the capture of Anvent Eturrer, five years ago.

But after Colelie, the relationship between Republic and Federation became a little frosty, and everyone started thinking "What now?" A more measured approach, led by the Sebiestor tribe, allowed Federation justice to do its thing, which was to decide to let Republic/Tribal justice do its thing. Which is humbling, to some.
Raven Solaris
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2013-06-01 15:55:01 UTC
So, the Federation are going to extradite a man who opened fire on a Minmatar cultural festival to the Republic to submit to "Tribal Justice."

Meanwhile, there will be an exceptionally large gathering of Minmatar paying their respects to Karin Midular all month.

... I'd avoid visiting the Caravanserai in person should you happened to be so inclined.
Philadunc Arsten
Jade Wolf Pack
#5 - 2013-06-01 16:09:36 UTC
Why would I want to avoid a place sacred to all of the tribes, in order to pay my respects to a fallen Ray of Matar?

In any case, there is a strict 'no weapons' policy at the Great Caravanserai, and it seems that it would be even more so this month.
Cipher7
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2013-06-01 16:12:10 UTC

Well this is a relief.

And yes, a little humbling.

I hope they don't execute him.

The killing of this man will be petty revenge. It does not bring the victims back. It will be 1 death vs hundreds of deaths and he will have won.

I would be thrilled if he were somehow adopted by some brothers and rehabilitated. Like a "work-release" program where he can't leave, but gets alot of attention and education, and a chance to get to know the people he seems to have so much hatred for.

That is the only way we can make anything positive out of this.

We should also do something nice for the Federation, to try to mend fences.
Raven Solaris
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2013-06-01 16:25:23 UTC
Philadunc Arsten wrote:
Why would I want to avoid a place sacred to all of the tribes, in order to pay my respects to a fallen Ray of Matar?

In any case, there is a strict 'no weapons' policy at the Great Caravanserai, and it seems that it would be even more so this month.

Sharp as a marble, aren't you?
Fredfredbug4
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2013-06-01 16:55:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Fredfredbug4
Philadunc Arsten wrote:
Both. But humbling not humiliting, as you say.

The Republic Fleet task force jumped into Colelie, in order to get Broteau so that he could face Tribal justice, and was a little hastey, to say the least. What some in the Republic may call a "typical Brutor" response. Would the FedNav have done the same thing, if the Republic had some one the Federation wanted, for a similar act of terrorisim? Probably. That particular precedent has already been set, during the capture of Anvent Eturrer, five years ago.

But after Colelie, the relationship between Republic and Federation became a little frosty, and everyone started thinking "What now?" A more measured approach, led by the Sebiestor tribe, allowed Federation justice to do its thing, which was to decide to let Republic/Tribal justice do its thing. Which is humbling, to some.

To be honest, we probably would do the same. Though you must keep in mind that the capture of that despicable traitorous scum, Eturrer, was done with the permission of the Empress herself. Basically, we had temporary and restricted military access to the Empire, just enough to capture Eturrer. Both of the Republic's attempts to seize Broteau were done with a complete disregard for Gallente sovereignty.

I once that that Shakor was one of the wisest men in New Eden. Now I feel he is certainly very smart, but wise? Not so much. I feel that the Sebiestor Tribe's approach to the trial after Colelie is the approach the Republic should take with foreign relations. Leading with calm and understanding rather than in the moment decisions and biased, hypocritical attitudes.

Watch_ Fred Fred Frederation_ and stop [u]cryptozoologist[/u]! Fight against the brutal genocide of fictional creatures across New Eden! Is that a metaphor? Probably not, but the fru-fru- people will sure love it!

Andreus Ixiris
Duty.
Stay Feral
#9 - 2013-06-01 17:46:29 UTC
So as it turns out, the Federation extradited Broteau to the Minmatar Republic anyway, which means the Republic Fleet lost fifteen dreadnoughts and murdered thousands of Federation navymen for literally nothing.

Congratulations. At this point, there's literally nothing the Federation or the Republic can possibly do to hurt Broteau in any meaningful way, because he's won the game by every measure that actually matters.

Andreus Ixiris > A Civire without a chin is barely a Civire at all.

Pieter Tuulinen > He'd be Civirely disadvantaged, Andreus.

Andreus Ixiris > ...

Andreus Ixiris > This is why we're at war.

Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#10 - 2013-06-01 20:13:40 UTC
Andreus Ixiris wrote:
So as it turns out, the Federation extradited Broteau to the Minmatar Republic anyway, which means the Republic Fleet lost fifteen dreadnoughts and murdered thousands of Federation navymen for literally nothing.

Water under the bridge, I guess.

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Katrina Oniseki
Oniseki-Raata Internal Watch
Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive
#11 - 2013-06-01 21:39:39 UTC
Makkal Hanaya wrote:

Water under the bridge, I guess.

Hence the bridge.

Katrina Oniseki

Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#12 - 2013-06-01 21:54:06 UTC
I don't get it. Was the trial just for show? Was he not also sentenced for the killing of Midular?
Is this extradiction even legal?
Makkal Hanaya
Revenent Defence Corperation
#13 - 2013-06-01 22:01:30 UTC
No, the trial was not for show.

No, there is no special 'killing the Ray of Matar' crime. He was sentenced for killing a several dozen people, of which she was one.

Yes, the extradition is legal. Why wouldn't it be?

Render unto Khanid the things which are Khanid's; and unto God the things that are God's.

Shintoko Akahoshi
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2013-06-01 22:19:10 UTC
Cipher7 wrote:

What? Like buy it a cake, as a way to say "Thanks for the extradition, sorry we invaded you."

There's really no way to make something positive out of this.

Bio and writing

(Nothing I say is indicative of corporate policy unless otherwise stated)

James Syagrius
Reclamation
#15 - 2013-06-01 22:36:23 UTC
Justice, for whom I wonder?

Those serving the Federation in Colelie, most certainly not.

One wonders who the Tribal Entity will extradite to the Federation for that crime.
Cipher7
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#16 - 2013-06-01 22:37:09 UTC
Shintoko Akahoshi wrote:
Cipher7 wrote:

What? Like buy it a cake, as a way to say "Thanks for the extradition, sorry we invaded you."

There's really no way to make something positive out of this.

An apology from the tribal council would be a start.

Cake maybe later.
Ollie Rundle
#17 - 2013-06-02 00:17:56 UTC
Cipher7 wrote:
An apology from the tribal council would be a start.

Cake maybe later.

An apology might be a "start" but one expects the words of the Council following events at Colelie might ring false with a great many Federation citizens unless some kind of transparent inquiry is made into who gave the order for the Republic's unilateral assault on its ally and any subsequent disciplinary action expedited - under tribal law.

Or to put it another way: the same kind of thing the Republic was demanding from the Federation a few weeks ago with the only difference being the respect for a sovereign entity to manage its own house within the boundaries of its own laws.
Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#18 - 2013-06-02 00:26:39 UTC
The whole sordid affair could have been avoided had both sides simply communicated. Had the Federal authorities allowed a joint investigation or, simply kept the Republic informed as to their progress (explaining why they couldn't release any details) and that the criminal would be extradited after his trial in Caille, I seriously doubt things would have gotten so far out of hand. A more measured and diplomatic request and offer of compromise would have been wise on the part of the Republic. There's plenty of blame to be passed out all around.

But, as someone else observed, that's all water under the bridge now. Time now for the longtime allies to sit down and discuss ways to improve relations going forward and work out agreements on how future situations, should they arise, are handled.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Derek Quaid
Doomheim
#19 - 2013-06-02 00:28:43 UTC
Way to teach the savages that defying your sovereignty and murdering a bunch of your citizens yields positive results! Dance, Federation puppets! Dance!

CEO, Discreet Bounties In-game Channel: Discreet Bounties

Ollie Rundle
#20 - 2013-06-02 00:56:09 UTC
Anabella Rella wrote:
But, as someone else observed, that's all water under the bridge now. Time now for the longtime allies to sit down and discuss ways to improve relations going forward and work out agreements on how future situations, should they arise, are handled.

Except that, for the several million individuals who comprise the families and loved ones of those killed by Republic fleet actions in Colelie and those destroyed by Elder Fleet actions in Yulai five years ago, that water you're alluding to has a decidedly crimson hue.

And few people enjoy crossing a river of blood to interact with those who label themselves 'friends', bridge or no.
123Next pageLast page