These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page
 

I Mined Some Ice

Author
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#21 - 2013-06-01 00:38:33 UTC
Ioci wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
You did it for a week?


Yeah. A week or more.

And for loci.

Mr Epeen Cool


Now for test 2.
Go mine Veldspar in .8 for the same amount of time, sell it all and buy Ice. See how much you have.


My OP was an observation about ice mining. Not belt mining.

So...no... I don't think I'll belt mine for a week just to have you then propose 'test 3'. Mostly because your tangential requests have nothing to do with anything.

Mr Epeen Cool
Felicity Love
Doomheim
#22 - 2013-06-01 00:46:45 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:

The Mackinaw provides an overpowered combination of huge ore hold, second best yield, and huge tank. That a particular ship is overpowered doesn't mean that the activity that ship is used for is broken: it just means that the particular ship is broken. The Mackinaw is the "nanofag" of mining.



And yet they are doubling the ice cycle speed ...

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#23 - 2013-06-01 00:48:21 UTC
Mara's Mining Guide


  1. Make friends. Ideally, parents with small children or old farts like Mara who have pets & gardens to tend to, housework to be done, home maintenance to accomplish (i.e.: folks with responsibilities outside the game)
  2. Get bored of only chatting to each other in shared chat channel while doing housework and stuff
  3. Set up mining fleet and mine so you can watch ice or rock asteroids popping while doing housework


If you don't do it in that order, you're doing it wrong :P

Some people have a problem so they think, "I know, I'll go mining." Now they have two problems.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#24 - 2013-06-01 00:51:37 UTC
Felicity Love wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

The Mackinaw provides an overpowered combination of huge ore hold, second best yield, and huge tank. That a particular ship is overpowered doesn't mean that the activity that ship is used for is broken: it just means that the particular ship is broken. The Mackinaw is the "nanofag" of mining.



And yet they are doubling the ice cycle speed ...



Yup. Which only means one thing: harvesting ice in a Mackinaw while AFK is doing it right, according to CCP.
James 420
EVE Corporation 98188875
#25 - 2013-06-01 00:57:38 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Felicity Love wrote:
Mara Rinn wrote:

The Mackinaw provides an overpowered combination of huge ore hold, second best yield, and huge tank. That a particular ship is overpowered doesn't mean that the activity that ship is used for is broken: it just means that the particular ship is broken. The Mackinaw is the "nanofag" of mining.



And yet they are doubling the ice cycle speed ...



Yup. Which only means one thing: harvesting ice in a Mackinaw while AFK is doing it right, according to CCP.


CCP is changing the ice mining because of bots not because of your opinion on ice mining, most of "mainstream" (ratting in null, running l4s in hs or l5s/anoms in ls/wh, trading) ways to get isk in eve are boring and dull so what's your point? I won't play a game to get bored but if people have the patience to rat/mine/whatever more power to them but I won't whine like a big baby because they are doing so.

Proud enforcer of 420 BLAZE IT

Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#26 - 2013-06-01 01:02:12 UTC
I shudder to think of what a player named "ePeen" does when AFK.


Shocked

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Pepper Solette
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-06-01 01:50:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Pepper Solette
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
I shudder to think of what a player named "ePeen" does when AFK.


Shocked



For all the years i have been in EvE, i personally have to say that i think his is one of the best names in the game. And the quote saying...."It's all about me' at the end is pure icing.

Salutations to you sir. Ooe helluva name. o/

Now, what was the topic? Oh yeah, ice something....................i forgot about it whilst i was pvp-ing, killing people and being an active and participating player in the EvE community. Big smile

** Miko Sunji:  "There is no better way to find out if you can swim, than swimming for your life."**

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#28 - 2013-06-01 01:57:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
You lie.

It takes 2 hours to fill the average Orca with Ice WITH A HULK.

That gets you 32,000,000 ISK.

To get a total of 1,500,000,000, would take 46 Orcas worth, which would require a solid nonstop 92 hours which is over 13 solid non-stop days.

I doubt that occurred.

And these figures are with an Orca Boost.

You had no Orca boost I assume, and all Exhumers are slower than a Hulk.

It would have taken you at least close to a month of painful boredom.

Nobody does it except bots.

I get 3 Billion a month from my own Ice mining and PI, and spend maybe 15 hours a month on the actual mining, if, which is all I can tolerate.

Quit lying to the playerbase please. You are embarrassing yourself.



Edit: I use 2 Hulks and an Orca........everything at V.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#29 - 2013-06-01 02:12:51 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
You lie.

It takes 2 hours to fill the average Orca with Ice WITH A HULK.

That gets you 32,000,000 ISK.

To get a total of 1,500,000,000, would take 46 Orcas worth, which would require a solid nonstop 92 hours which is over 13 solid non-stop days.

I doubt that occurred.

And these figures are with an Orca Boost.

You had no Orca boost I assume, and all Exhumers are slower than a Hulk.

It would have taken you at least close to a month of painful boredom.

Nobody does it except bots.

I get 3 Billion a month from my own Ice mining and PI, and spend maybe 15 hours a month on the actual mining, if, which is all I can tolerate.

Quit lying to the playerbase please. You are embarrassing yourself.


I grab boosts when someone is offering. Ice miners are actually one of the nicer non corp communities in this game. They look out for each other and help when they can. They don't pounce when you loot a yellow wreck and there is usually someone being amusing in local. If it wasn't so mind numbingly boring to be at the keyboard, I'd stick around and hang on to the mining character.

That said, I've been logging in when I wake up and logging out when I go to bed. I'd say I've been mining 13 -15 hours a day average with a total of about twenty minutes of that at the keyboard. It doesn't take long to build up a pile of ice blocks when you are working from home as I am now.

That's what I was getting at in the OP. You won't be able to play like that after Odyssey.

Mr Epeen Cool
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#30 - 2013-06-01 02:13:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:
To get a total of 1,500,000,000, would take 46 Orcas worth, which would require a solid nonstop 92 hours which is over 13 solid non-stop days.


A Mackinaw can harvest 2 ice blocks every 160 seconds with no ice harvester upgrade but boosted by an Orca.

Mr Epeen claims to have harvested over 8000 ice blocks, or 8000 / 2 x 160 seconds, about 8 days of non-stop mining (178 hours of lasers-on-asteroids time).

Since Mr Epeen provided no claim of the period of time in which this was accomplished, it is reasonable to believe that this could have been done in a few weeks worth of ice harvesting during normal play or work hours (e.g.: 45 days of ice harvesting at 4 hours a day).

The only point of dispute is Mr Epeen's opinion that ice harvesting is "not really playing the game." One could say the thing about hisec wardecs, gate camping, AFK structure bashing in dread fleets, AFK autopilot freighter hauling, station spinning, market trading, or leading a major alliance while not even logging in to the game.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#31 - 2013-06-01 02:32:00 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:


The only point of dispute is Mr Epeen's opinion that ice harvesting is "not really playing the game." One could say the thing about hisec wardecs, gate camping, AFK structure bashing in dread fleets, AFK autopilot freighter hauling, station spinning, market trading, or leading a major alliance while not even logging in to the game.


I see what you are saying, so let me rephrase. It''s not really playing the game, for me, personally. For the same reason I avoid gate camping, AFK freightering, ship spinning and structure bashing. I do indulge in some of the other stuff you mentioned above, though.

Mr Epeen Cool
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#32 - 2013-06-01 02:33:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Mr Epeen wrote:
That said, I've been logging in when I wake up and logging out when I go to bed. I'd say I've been mining 13 -15 hours a day average with a total of about twenty minutes of that at the keyboard. It doesn't take long to build up a pile of ice blocks when you are working from home as I am now.


And for those 15 hours you are providing a potential target for gankers. Assuming the gankers do silly things like go flashy red in a belt with dozens of Garde IIs deployed. The other miners are doing the same kind of thing: participating in the slow side of the game which doesn't involve your heart rate being perpetually raised.

Mr Epeen wrote:
That's what I was getting at in the OP. You won't be able to play like that after Odyssey.


That much is true. This is why a bunch of folks are madly harvesting as much ice as humanly possible before the expansion hits, and sitting on it. After the expansion all these stockpiles will be slowly drained as the ice price rises. I'm not sure who will actually be mining ice after the expansion, but it certainly won't be the same group of people doing it today.

The window for ice harvesting after the expansion will be a 10-20 minute period during some vaguely defined four hour window, unless one is running a timer from the moment the previous ice field was depleted. Who is going to be sitting around for four hours waiting for an ice field to spawn? I know in my case I am considering training or buying new ice harvesting characters. Previously I was able to make a decision that "this Saturday I will be harvesting ice while doing housework." I could then switch to the ice harvesting clone (yeti hardwiring, various implants for CPU and tank) and leave this character mining ice all day. Come the expansion, this character will likely be spending more time flying combat ships and taking a break to mine for 20 minutes every 4 hours will be infeasible.

I can see a few mining intel channels ending up switching to Jabber, with people batphoning each other to log in and drag out mining fleets before "the others" get there. If I'm in the middle of claiming a FW complex, I doubt I'd be logging out to go ice harvesting for the five minutes that the belt is available.

In the meantime I expect to see a lot of "perfect ice mining" characters for sale at fire sale prices.
Skydell
Bad Girl Posse
Somethin Awfull Forums
#33 - 2013-06-01 02:58:59 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Ioci wrote:
Mr Epeen wrote:
Lexmana wrote:
You did it for a week?


Yeah. A week or more.

And for loci.

Mr Epeen Cool


Now for test 2.
Go mine Veldspar in .8 for the same amount of time, sell it all and buy Ice. See how much you have.


My OP was an observation about ice mining. Not belt mining.

So...no... I don't think I'll belt mine for a week just to have you then propose 'test 3'. Mostly because your tangential requests have nothing to do with anything.

Mr Epeen Cool


No, test 2 would further fortify that Ice Mining is for Bots.

Spend the same amount of time mining Veldspar, don't even look for Dense or anything, Generic Veldspar and mine it for the same number of hours, sell that Veld and buy Ice or simply look at your ISK made. Hell, Mine Veld for an hour, look at how much ISK you made. It will be at least double what you made mining Ice.

Point is, why anyone mines ice except a Macro is a mystery. My 'tangential request' was further proof you were right but your 'tangential test' is rather pointless because everyone knew Ice Mining was for macro users.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#34 - 2013-06-01 03:08:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
Skydell wrote:
Spend the same amount of time mining Veldspar, don't even look for Dense or anything, Generic Veldspar and mine it for the same number of hours, sell that Veld and buy Ice or simply look at your ISK made. Hell, Mine Veld for an hour, look at how much ISK you made. It will be at least double what you made mining Ice.


Ice harvesting in a Mack is currently worth about 9M ISK/hr.

Veldspar in a Mack is currently worth about 12M ISK/hr. It's worth noting that Pyrox in a Mack is worth about 18M ISK/hr though.

Your assertion that mining veldspar is worth at least double of harvesting ice is easily falsifiable. Please check the markets: ice is rapidly rising in price as word spreads about the coming ice apocalypse.
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#35 - 2013-06-01 03:15:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Mr Epeen
Skydell wrote:

Point is, why anyone mines ice except a Macro is a mystery..


Really?

Ice mining is about the only mining that you don't need a macro for. You warp to your bookmark, lock the ice, start the lasers, minimize the screen and ignore it for 40 minutes or so.

Macks tank enough not to get ganked and the ice never pops. There is no reason whatsoever to bot it.

Recalculate your comparison including time at the keyboard and see how it works for you.

Mr Epeen Cool
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#36 - 2013-06-01 03:23:42 UTC
Trick is having your ice miners mine while you are off doing other things, like missions, or pvp, or anything else. Nice passive income, and it's getting more lucrative, but maybe more dangerous because people might be fighting over the ice now.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#37 - 2013-06-01 03:33:26 UTC
James 420 wrote:

CCP is changing the ice mining because of bots not because of your opinion on ice mining, most of "mainstream" (ratting in null, running l4s in hs or l5s/anoms in ls/wh, trading) ways to get isk in eve are boring and dull so what's your point? I won't play a game to get bored but if people have the patience to rat/mine/whatever more power to them but I won't whine like a big baby because they are doing so.


If you think bots will have problems with the new system then you clearly don't know much about bots.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#38 - 2013-06-01 11:09:34 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:


That said, I've been logging in when I wake up and logging out when I go to bed. I'd say I've been mining 13 -15 hours a day average with a total of about twenty minutes of that at the keyboard. It doesn't take long to build up a pile of ice blocks when you are working from home as I am now.

That's what I was getting at in the OP. You won't be able to play like that after Odyssey.

Mr Epeen Cool



OK, ok, mea culpa.

I just don't like being AFK, I'm never AFK, and I hate AFK botting and ISBoxing.

I play for real, and I can't stand ice mining anymore than 2 hours a day....every other day.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

Victoria Sin
Doomheim
#39 - 2013-06-01 11:13:06 UTC
It's a semi-afk activity, especially with the mack. Last week I mined quite a lot of the stuff but, for example, was able to make dinner, do my washing, hoover and watch a movie while I was doing it. Can't really do that so well mining asteroids, or doing anything else in Eve.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2013-06-01 11:15:56 UTC
Krixtal Icefluxor wrote:

I play for real


well aren't you special and unique

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Previous page123Next page