These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Are you allowed to harassment and extortion?

First post
Author
Zak Breen
Breen Enterprises
#21 - 2013-05-31 17:25:33 UTC
Only in EVE are scamming and griefing legit "careers".

Whether that is good or not, I'll leave up to you.

Maturity, one discovers, has everything to do with the acceptance of not knowing. http://www.di.fm/spacemusic

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#22 - 2013-05-31 17:36:09 UTC
Zak Breen wrote:

I think it's good for the game as a whole. People should be cautious about deals they make, not just in EVE but in RL. Better to learn your lesson with space pixels than with hard-earned cash.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#23 - 2013-05-31 17:43:42 UTC
Chocotto wrote:
Today a corp are harassment and extortion the miner in a ice belt , and they demand miner must pay or they make suicidal attack to miners.

That is allowed?

Yes, you are allowed to pay them. You are also allowed to NOT pay them.

Either choice has consequences. It's your choice.

Welcome to EVE.

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Thomas Builder
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2013-05-31 18:20:50 UTC
BTW, pure harassment might be disallowed, if it becomes excessive.
But throw in extortion, which makes them a profit, and it becomes a legal business opportunity.

Welcome to EVE. ;)
Malak Dawnfire
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#25 - 2013-05-31 18:33:54 UTC
I think somebody in-game slashed my tires today IRL. is that allowed?
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#26 - 2013-05-31 18:38:25 UTC
Yigal Tzadok wrote:
dont mind the trolls ok, this is DEFINATLY not allowed.

you should petition it

Thanks for advising him to do petitions and clog up an already clogged up petition system. I am sure the GMs will appreciate it.
I Need PLEX
Doomheim
#27 - 2013-05-31 18:39:21 UTC
Chocotto wrote:
Today a corp are harassment and extortion the miner in a ice belt , and they demand miner must pay or they make suicidal attack to miners.

That is allowed?

Yes

EVE is real

DWI
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#28 - 2013-05-31 18:46:16 UTC
Chocotto wrote:

That is allowed?

Not only allowed, it's encouraged.....Lol

This is EvE.

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Kali Maat
PVP FAST
#29 - 2013-05-31 18:52:22 UTC
Andski wrote:
Zak Breen wrote:

I think it's good for the game as a whole. People should be cautious about deals they make, not just in EVE but in RL. Better to learn your lesson with space pixels than with hard-earned cash.

well isk is kind of hard earn cash..
still not real money..
but still pretty real cash IMO
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#30 - 2013-05-31 19:04:19 UTC
Kali Maat wrote:
still not real money..

Do you starve if you lose some ISK? Nope.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Slutvana Khorkina
Bad Touches
#31 - 2013-05-31 19:07:48 UTC
I'd say its another victory for the New Order! Buy a permit and mine in piece OP. Don't buy a permit and mine in pieces.

Note: weapons stowed as thread is aligned to the Crime and Punishment forum.

"Imagine the kind of stories people would read about EVE if the carebears got their wish. 'In EVE Online, some people mined. They arranged their mining lasers, and then they did something else for several minutes. Sign up for your free 14 day trial now!'" -- James 315

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#32 - 2013-05-31 19:10:16 UTC
Andski wrote:

I do, but only because I print it out, then consume the paper to feel more "at one" with the Universe

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#33 - 2013-05-31 19:17:49 UTC
Zak Breen wrote:
Scamming is; griefing is not, since it's a bannable offence.

…it's just that griefing is defined differently in EVE than in most other games.

In fact, harassment isn't allowed either, but here too, the definition will differ: simply staking a claim on a belt and driving people out most certainly does not qualify as harassment.
GM Bunyip
Game Master Retirement Home
#34 - 2013-05-31 19:21:40 UTC  |  Edited by: GM Bunyip
Just FYI guys, we posted a GM response to this issue, after taking in feedback earlier in another thread. I'd recommend reading it if you're unsure about where we draw the line.

I'd doubly recommend reading it to anyone who is thinking about petitioning this issue. In most cases, the petitions we get on this are regarding scenarios where we cannot/do not intervene.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#35 - 2013-05-31 19:28:18 UTC
GM Bunyip wrote:
Just FYI guys, we posted a GM response to this issue, after taking in feedback earlier in another thread. I'd recommend reading it if you're unsure about where we draw the line.

I'd doubly recommend reading it to anyone who is thinking about petitioning this issue. In most cases, the petitions we get on this are regarding scenarios where we cannot/do not intervene.

You should gank these people.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#36 - 2013-05-31 19:35:31 UTC
GM Bunyip wrote:

This is another good GM response on the broader issue of what harassment actually is in EVE.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1034909#post1034909

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#37 - 2013-05-31 20:40:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Unsuccessful At Everything
Im pretty sure that harassment/extortion/killing of miners is encouraged in Eve.

Every day I warp to the belts and find NPCs mining in their frigates and cruisers and battleships...and I blow them up. Why else would that be in this game? Practice! The only way to make the training experience any better is have the rats provide precious tears in local for all to read.

Do your civic duty! Warp scram and extort a miner TODAY!

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#38 - 2013-05-31 22:08:45 UTC
Andski wrote:
Kali Maat wrote:
still not real money..

I hear Elusif had to sell his house.
Desert Ice78
Gryphons of the Western Wind
#39 - 2013-05-31 23:30:08 UTC
Welcome to Eve.

Enjoy your (short) stay.

I am a pod pilot: http://dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/DesertIce/POD.jpg

CCP Zulu: Came expecting a discussion about computer monitors, left confused.

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2013-06-01 00:19:56 UTC
OP must be new here

While suicide killing ("suicide ganking") is allowed, it has consequences

As an example - you could massacre people in public, but the police would come after you

In the same way, people can attack others at hisec, but at the risk of CONCORD intervention
Previous page12